Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 08:02   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo Introduces First-Ever Pedestrian Airbag

The safety-conscious automaker is betting it can save pedestrian lives with a revolutionary auto external airbag design!

"Perennially safety-conscious automaker Volvo is now betting it can save pedestrian lives, with the world's first external airbag.

The new system is one of the many high-tech safety features being introduced on the new V40 , which is making its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show.

The revolutionary new airbag design uses sensors to rapidly detect a car-pedestrian impact, and to respond much like what happens in a car-to-car collision.
The sensors instantly trigger the section of the hood closest to the windshield to pop up slightly. Then a U-shaped airbag emerges from underneath, and forms a cushion around the base and sides of the windshield and A-pillars."

Cheers!

GENEVA, SWITZERLAND - Volvo Introduces First-Ever Pedestrian Airbag - ktla.com
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo Introduces First-Ever Pedestrian Airbag-volvov40.jpg  

volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 09:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volvo Introduces First-Ever Pedestrian Airbag

Whoa, this is awesome! Volvo has a never-ending obsession with safety - for those inside and outside the car!

But, this airbag would come in handy provided the pedestrian lands near the car's windshield - what is the % of car-pedestrian collisions where the pedestrian hits the bonnet/windshield.

Also, once the airbag is deployed, what all needs to be replaced? Would surely cost a bomb! :P
Old 9th March 2012, 10:05   #3
BHPian

Am I missing something ? But this looks like safety feature to save the windshield only !! I would like to see some demo trial video of the impact between car and pedestrian to fully understand the usefulness of the feature.
Old 9th March 2012, 10:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the link to the video.

Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2012 at 14:14. Reason: Simply enter the youtube url to imbed the video. Nothing else required
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 11:07   #5
BHPian

I believe that on a strong enough impact the pedestrian is slightly lifted into the air and fatal injuries occur as a result of head injuries received on hitting the windshield/A pillars. So this airbag system will surely help in reducing fatalities.

Volvo has to be really appreciated for maintaining its core value of safety and am sure a lot of revenue is being spent on research intended to make the volvos safer and safer. While the exterior looks have been taken care of i believe that there is still some scope for improvement in the interior looks department. It often doesnt look as rich as many of its competitors. WIth some improved interior, i dont see why volvo would fail to be amongst the most desirable cars.

Last edited by revintup : 9th March 2012 at 11:08.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 11:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Whoa, this is awesome! Volvo has a never-ending obsession with safety - for those inside and outside the car!

But, this airbag would come in handy provided the pedestrian lands near the car's windshield - what is the % of car-pedestrian collisions where the pedestrian hits the bonnet/windshield.
I think with the current bonnet design of the new generation cars; the pedestrian is expected to land on the windshield on collision. So this looks like a workable innovation.

Looking at the illustration, I am just thinking:
(1) Will this seriously hamper the visibility of the driver?
(2) A possibility on our roads, if this pedestrian airbag get deployed upon a collision with a stray dog (or any other animal), the repair cost would be massive.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 12:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
(2) A possibility on our roads, if this pedestrian airbag get deployed upon a collision with a stray dog (or any other animal), the repair cost would be massive.
This can & will definitely happen. I had seen a Jag at the TASS with the same situation some time back. Never even knew till then that the Jag came with such a feature. However repair costs for such incidents are quite high.
Old 9th March 2012, 13:45   #8
BHPian

From the animation, the feature seems more dangerous than what it is supposed to do. With the air curtain blinding the driver for few seconds (who in case of an collision is already nervous and is not in a state to control the vehicle), I am sure he/she is going to end up knocking off more people or ram into something before coming to a full halt...
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 14:16   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
From the animation, the feature seems more dangerous than what it is supposed to do. With the air curtain blinding the driver for few seconds (who in case of an collision is already nervous and is not in a state to control the vehicle), I am sure he/she is going to end up knocking off more people or ram into something before coming to a full halt...

Exactly my thoughts! The loss of view for the driver is dangerous since he still has the control of the car and would be equivalent to driving blindfold. This CAN cause more collateral damage than safety expecially if it opens up in a crowded area
Old 9th March 2012, 14:57   #10
BHPian

I was hit in an accident in Scotland during the cold and unruly winters of Jan '11. I was hit by a sedan at a speed of 40-50mph (according to the police) when I was crossing a road (when the lights were red and at the pedestrian crossing).

Based on what was told to me at the emergency room: I was slightly lifted by the impact and the left side of my head hit the windshield breaking it to pieces.

How I wish this safety feature was accepted and in production at the time!

Last edited by ssh1979 : 9th March 2012 at 14:58.
ssh1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 01:03   #11
rkw
BHPian

A novel life saving feature! May need more research & tests before implementation.
Apprehensions are bound to be there with new technological innovations. When collapsible steering and front airbags made appearance, people thought these would come into action at the slightest of impact. But this has not been the case. Same applies here. Let us hope for more of such safety features. While occupants' safety has been focussed a lot, pedestrians' safety seems to have been neglected so far.
Old 10th March 2012, 01:17   #12
BHPian

Hope this technology does not give our Indian rash drivers another reason to drive rash
Old 11th March 2012, 19:44   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder why Volvo wants the pedestrian airbag plus this:

Volvo seems to consider that either pedestrians or drivers, or both, have sub-par sense of safety and self-preservation.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 19:51   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Wonder why Volvo wants the pedestrian airbag plus this:

Volvo seems to consider that either pedestrians or drivers, or both, have sub-par sense of safety and self-preservation.
If I remember correctly, the pedestrian detection works only on slow speeds (below 35 kmph or so).
Old 11th March 2012, 22:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Volvo seems to be addressing more of the HPC (Head performance criterion) specified for pedestrian safety. It would be good to know how they improve safety in tibia and other body parts. Comments anyone?

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks