Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 09:52   #16
BHPian

Re: List of Safety checkpoints : When adding electrical accessories

Thanks Anoop, this is a major topic that needs awareness, you bought up the right thing. The first thing after we purchase our beloved cars is to get accessories on it. Most common observations are road side shops or some renowned showrooms. I have noticed people go ahead and immediately upgrade OEM head lamps 100/150, OEM horns, additional fog lamps and what not. Then comes the powerful amps and speakers, people do not consider how much additional load that will bring to the battery alternator. Later stage all sorts of issue starts once the car ages. I personally own a Nano, and I have noticed how fragile the wiring harness is. But lately TATA upgraded the wiring harness from battery to starter motor and ignition, two additional relays were put in as preventive measures which were identified. I have the top end and have a music system as the only accessories. Also changed the OEM horn. Fitted a single bosh horn, with same rating, which sounds a little better. I guess if we are little careful and keep these in minds, we will have safe and trouble free driving for years.
PS: My personal observation no offence to anyone.
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 18:40   #17
WMS
BHPian

In my Gypsy MG 410 fitted with 1.3 MPFi motor I have used an additional fuse box for all the accessories and aux things but the electrical guy has put up the old style Jeep fuse box would like to replace with some good fuse box can you suggest. Have a look at the thread Suzy Blu
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post

Common Installs:

1. 90/100W "aftermarket" headlight relay kit - budget 900-1400. Please purchase a wiring kit that comes with 2 independent fuses for high and low beam (when you are drive in low beam and u flash, both bulb filaments will glow). The wiring leads should not require any cutting/splicing and should be bolted to the terminals. A cable-tie should be used to attach the wiring with the chassis and it is better to pass the wiring through front grille section all the way till headlamps. The wiring should be cased in a goose-neck plastic sheath for extra safety (some wiring kits come with it - go for those). Also, as the headlamps relay switching is triggered from OEM sockets, it must be insulated properly to avoid water/dust entry. Review wiring health every 3 months. At any cost do not run/tie with wire with sensor wiring's or near engine assembly. The relay kit is placed near the battery area and negative lead is usually screwed with the body.

Hi, Yesterday I just did the headlamp bulb upgrade to 90/100 Philips rally with Minda kit; did it from a Lucas auth service outlet in Chinchwad Pune. Car is a 4 year old Indica DLX, with no issues till now.

1) There was no wire splitting / cuttind done.
2) The old holders were taped , and the new holders coming with the kit were used....assuming these are ceramic ones.
3) ONLY CONCERN I have is the power tapping and I need your assurance/ corrective advise on this. The guy connected the earthing terminal on the body frame, hope this is correct way.
Now, The positive and the negative terminals of the kit are directly connected to the battery terminals. I asked him why this is done since this way is bypassing the fuse whatsoever, since Minda has just a relay kit , not a fuse ( I understand...pls correct if I am wrong). He did not say anything apart from that usual way ' saar ,its done in this way in all cars , so its a correct practice' .

So, I just want to know from the experts in forum if this is right practice and is done elsewhere by authoriosed electricians?

If not, what should be done to make it 100% safe from any mishaps like Short circuit or other electrical failures?
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
I asked him why this is done since this way is bypassing the fuse whatsoever, since Minda has just a relay kit , not a fuse ( I understand...pls correct if I am wrong).
There has to be an inclusive fuse with the relay kit. If not, it is a disaster. Please check immediately if you have access to fuses externally in the wiring. Fuses are never inside the relay system (they are sealed units). It will be a cost cutting if there are no fuses (2 separate fuses are best - atleast you should have one). Please get it checked with highest priority. Other thing to watch out is the fixing of negative lead with that screw to the body. Check if a washer has been used to properly hold the wire in place and that it is not prone to rusting (if water collects). Loose contacts will cause sparks and damage at contact points eventually.

"The old holders were taped" - This is the usual practice and over a period of time, these leads will go bad due to environmental factors. And the tapes tend to come off after an year. Keep an eye on that and re-tape every 6 months.
Old 11th December 2013, 06:25   #20
BHPian

Do we get such fuse-taps in regular automotive electronic stores in India?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Add-Circuit-F...-/180735820543

I am planning to add some additional USB charging ports in my glovebox and this is suggested as a neat and reversible way of tapping power for accessories.

TIA
Old 31st May 2020, 20:00   #21
BHPian

This thread has been inactive for a few years now, but this also seems like the right place to ask for help. I own a 2020 BS6 Tiago, which doesn't come with a boot light. Now I'd like to add a boot light to it and think a flexible DRL strip would do the job well while being concealed enough.

I looked at the boot and found a switch which would close a circuit when the boot is open (so that the boot open icon is shown in the MID). I was thinking I could piggyback on that switch for this light, but I'm concerned about overloading the circuit.

Do I need to add a relay and run the power wire to the fusebox to be safe or would it be okay to draw power from the boot open status switch itself? Any help would be appreciated.

Most Viewed