Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 00:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Police thrash man for driving on wrong side of Expressway

Views expressed by some here are more disturbing than the video. It seems most are totally unawares of the implications if our esteemed cops are given such powers.

Whats more, if this kind of things work, then why do we need courts, magistrates, lawyers, laws? Just let the police deal with everyone as they see fit... the vigilante way.

This incident is one of the best examples of how the law keepers can be worse than the law breakers.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 01:05   #17
BHPian

I am sure there more than just traffic offense which may resulted in cops beating this guy and that seems to be mystery here. I mean if traffic cop had to beat him for traffic offense, it would have been then and there. As someone mentioned earlier it may be the case of daring the law. (lots of folks from nearby villages have gone rich overnight and it may be his richness trying to show the powers to power)
Old 15th July 2012, 01:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Finally, the cops have done something I always wished to do to the Indisciplined, senseless morons who drive on the wrong side and our LIVES in danger.

Richly deserved, political correctness be damned. I'm glad this was caught on film and hope it becomes as viral as filthy MMSs do - that will help spread the message to all those jokers who do not think twice before putting the lives of others in danger.

I hope other state cops learn from the same and thrash a few of these low-life. On camera.

Deperate times call for desperate measures, and there is no doubt that we have the most rowdy, indisciplined, uncouth and senseless road users on the planet.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 05:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

The news paper says some investigation is on, and some more details may come out. I have always seen when some of the folks make a violation they get into this power game with cops, instead of paying they argue and use their reach clout to have their way, as if they are above the law.

The full truth should come out for the public to know what was the rationale to take such a outrageous step of trashing the guy. In my view it if it turns out that the guy used political connections to get away and threaten the cops, whatever they did was right thing to do.
Old 15th July 2012, 06:37   #20
BHPian

Sounds good. Both the motorist and the police have been misbehaving, and both of them are being brought to book. It's the cheap thrill of watching one uncouth autorikshaw banging into another of his ilk. Both actions (of both parties) reflect the sad reality of society.
Old 15th July 2012, 08:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

I like the video. I wish they can do that to the drivers of buses as well that come on the wrong side and surprise you. Whether we like it or not, majority of us Indians will not be deterred by a law or the due process of it. Fear of grave punishment alone will.

If the instant meting out of justice is distasteful, I am all for incorporating caning as a punishment after arrest and due trial, like Singapore.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 09:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am torn between two schools of thought.
1. It is not right for police to beat or whip anyone, irrespective of the crime. There's a law which says Physical assault of any kind is punishable. When there is a law, law makers have no right to break the law. Their job is to uphold and protect the law and law abiders, period.
2. Having said that, there are countless occasions, where I have personally felt that someone breaking the law on the road (High beams, driving on wrong side, breaking signal, incorrect parking, rash driving the list goes on) needs to be pulled out of his vehicle, and subjected to severe public trashing so that it serves as a deterrent.

Buttt, we are not a Taliban. We are a democracy. Law abiding behavior should come from within and law enforcement should be within the limits of law and not beyond. So police beating in any form is highly condemnable.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 09:40   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
If the instant meting out of justice is distasteful, I am all for incorporating caning as a punishment after arrest and due trial, like Singapore.
Severe punishment after a proper trial is fine, but this indeed is a barbaric act from those who are supposed to protect law. If this is allowed, then there is no need of court and judiciary.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:30   #24
BHPian

It is so wrong on many levels. Abuse of power, trampling on very basics of our constitutional rights, and disregard for every safeguards accorded to a law-breaking citizen.

Having said that, I am pretty sure the guy won't be driving on the wrong side for a long, long time.

Considering that to be the end results achieved, I would say the path was justified. The cops may well have saved the lives of a few dozen people in the process. The other course would have been to fine him a few hundred rupees. Would that have made a difference?
Old 15th July 2012, 13:28   #25

What the real facts of the case are is probably contestable. However, if we are to assume that the driver was indeed on the wrong side of the road, it's but natural to feel outraged. Outraged, because the driver chose an expedient of taking a short cut, over, following the the rules that we are all bound to observe. Such instances are aplenty in the N.H.s - trucks come hurtling down the wrong side just to save a few k.m.s at the cost of our lives.
But one is equally outraged when the cops flout the rules of engagement and end up beating that driver. After all, both the driver and the cops did the same thing: flouted a rule for an expedient. The cops took the short cut of beating that driver, over, a systematic enforcement of norms. If the objective is to discipline errant drivers, I'm sure the Indian Penal Code shall not be found wanting provided the cops have the will to enforce it. Section 279 of the Code for the offence of rash and negligent driving carries with it a jail term of six months. The cops can easily arrest drivers who travel on the wrong side on express ways, and bring them to justice. Now, isn't that sufficient legally provided for deterrent?
In a way, in the absence of enforcement, all this crying over the punishment being meager doesn't really hold water. It's time the uniformed men stopped thinking themselves as God, and started doing their job honestly without excuses.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Brutal video indeed. Or maybe it feels so because the dude was screaming his vocal chords out to attract attention of public. An act some miscreants pull up from under their sleeve in such situations to deviate attention.

On the contrary, think about this - what would have been the general opinion on this forum had the guy who was driving on the wrong side of the expressway had a TBHPian ram into the car and critically injured or maybe even no more?

In a country where MIGHT IS RIGHT, unfortunately, WRONG MIGHT NEEDS TO BE OVERPOWERED BY RIGHT MIGHT...and NOT JUST RIGHT. I may sound rebellious while saying this, but, it's disgusting to see this CHALTA HAI attitude prevail so comfortably.

I totally agree. I would have the culprit disciplined by the police, be it by flogging, much more than having my nears and dears dash in and get killed in a accident just because a joker chose to drive on the wrong side of the road without a care in the world! I would go ahead a bit further and ensure that his driving license is permanently revoked,.. if I could.

Last edited by R. Kotwal : 16th July 2012 at 12:12.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:16   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
This poses a moral dilemma doesn’t it?

On one hand the traffic manners in our country definitely need to evolve and quickly. The same cannot be achieved without some drastic/draconian measures as exercised by the cops.
On the other hand, it is absolutely deplorable that the upholders of law have turned lawbreakers.
There is no dilemma. Cops could have registered a case of dangerous driving. That offence can carry a jail term, which is a deterrent.
Cops thrashed the guy because he is a soft target. I routinely see villagers with their tractor trolleys driving the wrong side in the Fast lane on that expressway. None of them even get challaned.
It has a 100kmph limit. Imagine what would happen if a car-trolley collision happens at 100kmph!
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 12:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Am surprised that even in this forum people seem to accept flogging or thrashing by a policeman as acceptable. Are we going back to the dark ages??

There are laws and prescribed punishment for every type of traffic offence and they need to be followed. Police has no job in punishing anyone - their duty is prevention of crime. Punishment comes under the purview of the court
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 12:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granville View Post
Section 279 of the Code for the offence of rash and negligent driving carries with it a jail term of six months. The cops can easily arrest drivers who travel on the wrong side on express ways, and bring them to justice. Now, isn't that sufficient legally provided for deterrent?
Having had the weekend to relax and think over this case again I can't help thinking now that the cops went overboard in thrashing this moron. The pent up annoyance of a week's driving through the crazy roads of the NCR made me focus only on the original crime and overlook the police high-handedness in dealing with it.

Six months in jail would've served the purpose just as well, and in a civilized manner. All the police really need to do is setup positions at random traffic choke points in Noida, arrest all the wrong side drivers they can catch, and prosecute them for rash and dangerous driving. They'd just need to do it for a week and send maybe a dozen culprits to jail - the menace of wrong side driving will disappear like magic from Noida's roads.

Of course, this would entail the cops acting in an honest and even-handed manner. I wonder if that will ever happen in our blighted country.
Pacifica is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 12:44   #30
BHPian

Justice delayed is justice denied. A fine, a night in the jail or a few rounds of court/ police station would not have discouraged people of this ilk from commiting the same act again. After all do we stop speeding even if we have got a ticket. But I am sure, this guy would now definitely think 10 times before attempting to drive on the wrong side and in the best case, may never do such a thing again (fingers crossed). The human rights activists might call it cruel but what about the fact that this guy could have crashed into some oncoming vehicle and killed a few people. I guess human rights should not be invoked when you are talking about a person who is deliberately putting other lifes at risk.

Most Viewed