Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 07:24   #16
BANNED

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What makes you say that?
If he had to wish?,he would have wished to not to crash,rather than crashing in a better car
Frankly I wasnt prepared for this over reaction and its totally unnecessary. We cannot avoid an accident, because its just that, an accident, but we can be better prepared with a car which is safe.
As much as I feel bad for Samridh, I feel worse knowing that the injuries would have been much lesser had he been in any other car, even Wagon R for that matter.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
As much as I feel bad for Samridh, I feel worse knowing that the injuries would have been much lesser had he been in any other car, even Wagon R for that matter.
Akhilesh point is well taken that if one is in a car with all the safety features - ABS, Airbags etc the works, the damage and injuries might be less. But the point is not everybody might have that car and its not something that can be picked up from a grocery store by paying some loose change. This is the only point would like you to appreciate. Rest my argument and no more posts from my side on this subject.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:46   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Akhilesh point is well taken that if one is in a car with all the safety features - ABS, Airbags etc the works, the damage and injuries might be less. But the point is not everybody might have that car and its not something that can be picked up from a grocery store by paying some loose change. This is the only point would like you to appreciate. Rest my argument and no more posts from my side on this subject.
Point taken Amit. But here its not about ABS or Airbags, its about the passive safety features built into a car like structural integrity in case of a crash. I am sure a Wagon-R LXi would have fared much better in this sort of a crash.

I am not in a mood to argue further because no matter how noble your thought or intentions are and empathy for the one who suffered is, someone will just point and jump the gun.
akhilesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 10:51   #19
BHPian

Re the new Car- I never wanted to upgrade from a M800 to a another hatch, thus, I was continously delaying my decision to upgrade. At any rate, within a month or two I was looking to upgrade to a diesel Vento. But may be gods did not wan't to. May be the delay did me in.

Re the accident- I was driving on a single road in gurgaon, when a speeding innova in an attempt to overtake the car in front of it, porched onto our side of the road and came head on to me. I quickly sensed the situation and knew I had to make way (for the innova) by pushing left else a collision was inevitable. But due to a sick youngster driving a a swift on my left (who was trying to have fun and was not allowing me to swiver left), I was at the stairway of hell. In an attempt to not willfully hit a 15/16 yr old boy, I ended up head on with an over ambitious innova which was speeding well over city limits (80-90 km/hr). Being a light infact very light car upon colliding my car went straight into the lane where the innova should have been in the first place. Since the car tailing the innova i.e. a black swift suddenly changed lanes to avoid colliding with the derier of the innova turned left and again collided at the same point (of impact) with me.

My head hit the steering and was cut wide open. Alongside a huge wound in my left knee. Due to a bone smashing impact i was lossing a lot of blood and concurrently loosing and regaining consciousness. Manny people were honking , some was shouting, but it was me who was crying in the car. due to all that metal over my right femur I couldn't moove. One by stander came in and took away my watch which had fallen onto the left front seet. Before I could react it was gone :( For the next few minutes I howling but nobody helped. Then a one gentleman in his mid fifties approached me from nowhere and tried very had to momentarily lift the wreck on my legs. As far as i can remember he then took help from 1-2 other small-vendors to help me come out of the car. I did.

But not knowing that I had one broken leg and the other badly wounded, I moved out or at least tried to. But I fell face-on the ground. Since I am a fairly heavy guy the people trying to help couldn't prevent me from falling. Then that uncle shouted and yelled single handedly on the road and managed to stop an auto rickshaw (the bigger ones you know they are called phat-phat or something like that). Since I couldn't walk and the people trying to help were not able to lift me i crawled into the auto and lay myself on the floor. I folded my left leg to manage within the confines of limited space but I had no control over the right leg and it was paining like hell. So I pulled it in with my hands and locked my arms around it in order to ensure that it doesnt hang outside the auto and hit something else on the way.

They dropped me at Max Hospital Gurgaon. Where I was rushed to the trauma centre and i was given manny a needles to feel better. some of the imminent wounds were stiched and the rest were cleaned while i was being tested for internal injuries. The auto wala and Mr. Mehta had left me at the hospital and left (uninformed to avoid any unwanted trouble by local police).

By then my peers arrived and so did the police. (Police was very helpful al through probably because I am lawyer and/or I work for a one of India's better law firms). To my utter surprise, at 12-1 in the night Mr. Mehta returned and told me that he was having a party in his lawn. He had also no plans for the night so had releived his drivers for the day. On hearing loud sounds of an accident he ran out to see. His family was not approving of his wish to help. But he decided to still go and see for himself the gravity of the situation. Seeing me in a lot of pain and blood he decided to help. I don't know what was it but for the rest of my life, I am indebted.

I have dared to write in such detail so as to knock at the door of every reader's conscience, that no matter what happens thereafter, never leave an accident victim in pain. Since the balance of convenience always weighs heavier in favour of humanity (It is just an appeal ) !

Re all the good wishes that you guys have posted - I can only say thank you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th July 2012 at 12:21. Reason: Small edit as per our rules. Touching story, thanks for sharing! Hope it helps others think twice.
Samridh is offline   (98) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 12:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samridh View Post
I met with an accident earlier this year. February 24, 2011. Lucky to be alive.
Get well soon Samridh. All of us Tbhp-ians will pray for a speedy recovery and are by your side if you need any help from us. I have been in a terrible crash too. Physical wounds will heal, the most difficult part is getting over your mental trauma. Do not let this incident lower your spirit in any way. Take care brah!
Old 24th June 2011, 13:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have dared to write in such detail so as to knock at the door of every reader's conscience, that no matter what happens thereafter, never leave an accident victim in pain. Since the balance of convinience always weighs heavier in favour of humanity (It is just an appeal ) !
Well said Samridh, it was good that his true instinct took over and prevented his inhibitions in helping out.

I have a recommendation for you if it is not too much trouble. Try to create a thread for your recovery and post your progress here on tbhp. Several of us have been through something like this (in varying degrees) and may be able to participate in your recovery from remote locations. Some of us will then have recommendations for you too, which you may feel free to incorporate or ignore!
Most importantly, this thread could then provide you the relevant focus on your recovery. It will allow us bhpians to see the progress and mention it to you. Sometimes progress is not evidently noticeable when you see it everyday. Its like seeing a kid grow every day vs. seeing the same kid after 3 months. A lot of positive changes are noticed when you see a kid after some time. Only a suggestion!
Get well soon dude
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 13:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Samridh!That was a horrific crash. God Bless Mr. Mehta who came to your aid. Wish you a very very speedy and complete recovery. God bless you an hang in there tiger!! You will be 100% ok in no time!!

Last edited by hrman : 24th June 2011 at 13:39. Reason: Punctuation
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 14:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Samridh, really unfortunate of this to have happened for no fault of yours. While I appreciate the good samaritan who came to your aid at the right moment, I also cannot digest the fact that there are people who are out to rob you of your belongings during an accident. Wishing tou a speedy recovery !
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 14:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
when a speeding innova in an attempt to overtake the car in front of it, porched onto our side of the road and came head on to me.
Was the Innova guy caught and punished?

Quote:
One by stander came in and took away my watch which had fallen onto the left front seet.
That fellow deserves a bl**** rotten death.
ch.nathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 16:02   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

So do both the Swift drivers, for totally failing to take in what was happening or about to happen, especially the driver on Samridh's left, who seems to have contributed to an accident through pure mischief, and yet, he was probably the only one to drive clear out of the situation and disappear without a scratch.

Best wishes for you continuing recovery, Samridh. If you do want to share, it seems a good idea to have a thread for your accident, and its aftermath, legal and physical.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 16:58   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Samridh- it's amazing and admirable that you do not bear any bitterness towards anyone for your accident, just goodwill for the Samaritan who helped you! Get well soon, mate!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 17:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Samridh, thats a bad crash. I am glad that you were (relatively) less hurt.
Its due to the kindness of Mr. Mehta, that you are here to tell the tale, however horrifying it may be.

Best wishes for your recovery mate.

Quote:
I have dared to write in such detail so as to knock at the door of every reader's conscience, that no matter what happens thereafter, never leave an accident victim in pain. Since the balance of convinience always weighs heavier in favour of humanity (It is just an appeal ) !
Very well said indeed. Point surely noted.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 17:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
..I have dared to write in such detail so as to knock at the door of every reader's conscience, that no matter what happens thereafter, never leave an accident victim in pain. Since the balance of convinience always weighs heavier in favour of humanity (It is just an appeal ) !

Very bad accident indeed. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery.
What happened to the Innova and other Swift occupants?
the VTEC guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 17:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:

When there is an accident, I see vehicles stopping and people surround to entertain themselves. Not one will act out of any responsibility towards the injured. It is always waiting for someone to take the lead and time being critical factor the injured victim battles between life and death looking and begging(if he conscious)helplessly at people surrounding him. And then there are people like Mr.Mehta who act impulsively with helping instincts, who raise about their surroundings and ACT with necessary common sense, which saves the day for the victim and in turn his family waiting for him at home.

God bless Mr.Mehta and people like him. I always believe in karmic forces- what goes around comes around
shenoytech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 18:46   #30
BHPian

hey samridh.

Am glad that you survived.
Tell me about the gurgaon traffic. I Face them everyday.

Btw. if you need anything. please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
krazydriver84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed