Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:58   #61
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samridh
Great to hear that you are all fine!!
Just take it one day at a time if u can get this far its only a matter of time before you too recover fully. God bless
ike is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 13:10   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Maruti 800 crash: A first-hand account

THE most beautiful post I have read on TBHP. It strikes a chord deep within anybody who reads it. When my wife read it she was moved to tears.

I wish you well mate...and God bless.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samridh View Post
This is what I learned from the accident -
Life is a gift, treasure it but don't hold back for the greatest moments to be served on a golden platter. Go get a an ordinary china bowl and assimilate what ever you can best manage and share it with your loved ones. Take your wife or girlfriend for a lovely (I deliberately didn't say lavish) dinner out today, spare ur self for a second and tell her that you forgot the wallet in the car, rush to a flower vendor and get her a bunch of flowers. Surprise her and when she asks you what just got into you, tell her that a friend just made u realize how special life is and for you she epitomizes life.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 15:45   #63
BHPian

oye oye oye, this is too much pain to even read! A first-hand account on suffering & narration about your Travelogue until heaven's door-step!

Great job man, hats off to you to sit down and write your whole experience here! I am sure that atleast a few who reads your post will start helping accident victims.

I have my German Drivers License and the FIRST thing to do in the DL process was to learn "FIRST AID" and get certified in it. Even this course didnot have so much micro-detail on how to handle a victim with crushed bones causing further injuries! (atleast in Germany, there is normally a very short "Response Time" for such accidents and the ambulance does these medical formalities; First-Aid knowledge in most of such cases is only to keep the victims safe until the professional medical rescue team arrives).

My blood boils when I think about the Moron who tapped your situation and looted your wrist watch in the accident scene.

But in general, Indian Folks are naturally helpful, but many fear the legal formalities bundled with such an incident. Kudos to Mr. Mehta and his humanity when he saw you bleeding.

Get Completely well soon, my best regards!
Cheers!!
Mister_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 18:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Great job man, hats off to you to sit down and write your whole experience here! I am sure that atleast a few who reads your post will start helping accident victims.

But in general, Indian Folks are naturally helpful

Get Completely well soon, my best regards!
Cheers!!
To be honest, I did not have the guts to do that!! But thanks to T-bhp's moderators who took the pain of assimilating my posts (scattered on the page re Accidents in India) and making it a seperate thread.

If after such a kind gesture, I would have refrained from posting in greater depth, I would have have been guilty of 'caring too less' (which isn't true). Now that I have started, I plan to put up x-rays and other details so that, if and when (god forbid), any other guy (T-bhp member or guest) sits down looking at bad femur crashes, he can take my recovery as a reference point. That ways I (hope to) instill some confidence of recovery in the minds of similar patients.

Re the helpful nature of our brotheren, I can't agree more.

And many many thanks to you (and all) for wishing me well!! Indebted!!

P.S.: One day, on this thread, I shall post my videos of cycling, dancing and rock climbing!!
Samridh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 18:44   #65
BHPian

Read your story today.

I salute you for the endurance you showed for the entire year Samridh. It takes a lot to see oneself in pain and not able to do much about it.

However where there is a will, there is a way. Wishing you speedy recovery and that you start your workouts soon.

Take Care, Drive Safe.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 19:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I learned from the accident -

1. Don't delay your plans in life. By delaying them we are only living in the false hope that we are bound to live long.
Take your wife or girlfriend for a lovely (I deliberately didn't say lavish) dinner out today, spare ur self for a second and tell her that you forgot the wallet in the car, rush to a flower vendor and get her a bunch of flowers. Surprise her and when she asks you what just got into you, tell her that a friend just made u realize how special life is and for you she epitomizes life.
Samridh
I'm glad you got out alive and that you're recovering. Hope you get to do all the things you want to do. I've read a lot of post but to me this is the best I've ever read, no 47 I mean.
Cheers
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 21:43   #67
BHPian

What an experience in life! Good to know that you have pulled through it. Your thread will motivate others who are in such situations.
vivekkp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 16:09   #68
BHPian

An enlightening experience reading through this thread, it showed me just how much i take for granted everyday. Wishing you a speedy recovery man. All the best.
eternalck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

Samridh, its an experience which noone would ever want to happen in their life and their dear ones. I feel really happy to read that you have come out of it and have left this incident behind and that the incident has made you much wiser.

Hope your Rapid will erase these bad memories and replace them with miles of happiness

And also, hope that the Innova and Swift guys have learnt their lesson too.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:40   #70
Senior - BHPian

Samridh, just one word for you man......respect!
What a way of expressing your feelings in words. Hats off to you mate. The entire thread is truly heart touching and it has literally changed my view towards life.
I really hope from the core of my heart that you attain your perfect health soon and leave this incident behind.
Thanx a ton for sharing this on tbhp.

Take care bro...!
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:03   #71
BHPian

Hey Buddy,This post was a fantastic reminder for me to value what I have.Many a time,we forget to do that due to the mad rush we are all in.Thanks for putting your thoughts and hoping that you are back doing all that you enjoy doing.I loved the part in which you mentioned about your dad.Simply priceless.Was completely moved with the simple thoughts that you had expressed.God Bless and Always wear your seat belts
hallik9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:05   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Life is a gift, treasure it but don't hold back for the greatest moments to be served on a golden platter. Go get a an ordinary china bowl and assimilate what ever you can best manage and share it with your loved ones. Take your wife or girlfriend for a lovely (I deliberately didn't say lavish) dinner out today, spare ur self for a second and tell her that you forgot the wallet in the car, rush to a flower vendor and get her a bunch of flowers. Surprise her and when she asks you what just got into you, tell her that a friend just made u realize how special life is and for you she epitomizes life.
I met with a freaky accident in 2005 and had a severly broken left foot, injured back (not broken), a broken rist. I walked without any support after 2.5 months. Like you got to know how much i love my father, mother and my wife (Not then). My left foot still isnt completely fit and back hurts a bit on and off. I always have blamed myself for what happened but like you the bonding which i have with my father now makes me feel much better about the pain that i went through in all those months. I am reading this from my desk and believe me, I am going to get flowers for my wife when i go to pick her after work. I just felt like doing so. I guess even i don't express my affection to family which i should. I would just wish you all the best in life. Hope to read soon that you are completely fit cycling and rock climbing somewhere!
pulsarmaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Very sad accident but I salute your braveness and the way you fought with such a tough situation/difficult time.

Your thread has inspired me to fight with life's difficulties even more bravely!

I wish you speedy recovery and best for your future.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:15   #74
BHPian

It's very unfortunate that such a thing happened to you. But good to know that you have recovered to a great extent Get well soon and God bless.
97_Octane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:38   #75
BHPian

well having had previous experience in a similar crash (i was driving a baleno and t boned a police gypsy) id say that the 800 hasnt done too badly compared to most other cars. Most cars like the wagon r wouldnt have done too much better in a head on collision with a fast moving innova;yes the vento might have though. ive had 2 such accidents ,the second one was in the 800 actually.
it is my experience that in our attempt to avoid a collision altogether even when our judgement says its impossible to avoid , we all swerve one way or the other
this leads to the point of impact being on one edge of the car leading to the crumpling and folding of one pillar and crushing the driver or pasenger. if you have the presence of mind to realise that the crash is unavoidable then its always best to make sure that the point of impact is the centre so that the forces are distributed amoung the pillars and leads to least amount of cabin intrusion

understandably most people will not have the presence of mind to take such rational dicisions in a panic situation but theoretically this is the way to maximise the chances of survival, just thought i'd let you guys know.

i am attaching the pics of my car to illustrate my point

do notice the folding of the pillars on one side only
the baleno was at speed

above is the crash test of the baleno at 64 kmph, definitely the wagon r is a lot less crashworthy and you say that the innova was doing 80-90?
I think you would have been lucky to survive in any car available in the indian market

AFAIK, even company's like volvo have standard crash tests only at 64 kmph, they do have a head on offset test like in your case with a realative velocity of 100kmph(50kmph each) but in such test the data suggest for a not so strongly built person a broken collar bone is the bare minimum damage
Attached Thumbnails
My Maruti 800 crash: A first-hand account-cam_0022.jpg  

My Maruti 800 crash: A first-hand account-cam_0039.jpg  

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 3rd August 2012 at 20:51.
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed