Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2012, 10:03   #226
BHPian

Re: God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)

Hello Friends, Thanks for all your inputs and contributions on this page. My car insurance should close pretty soon now. My health has recovered pretty much now and I'm back on my activities which is a good thing after a 2 month+ break.

For the time being I purchased a used Honda City 2001 Model 1.5 EXI Automatic in good condition from a known person. Trying to get few things fixed and will also put CNG in it. Still thinking which new car to buy but that will be after this insurance thing closes out - or to delay by few months in order to get a view of Ford Ecosport or any other small crossover or suv. Lets see.

Drive safe and keep your tyres, braking etc. all in check.
Frontosa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 10:12   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
My car insurance should close pretty soon now. My health has recovered pretty much now and I'm back on my activities which is a good thing after a 2 month+ break.
For the time being I purchased a used Honda City 2001 Model 1.5 EXI Automatic in good condition from a known person. Trying to get few things fixed and will also put CNG in it.
Hello Frontosa,

Wish you a Happy New Year.
Good to know that you are back to normalcy & also driving a Honda city AT. Converting this car to a CNG will be a very good option. Hope you have read the below thread, where Frank Mehta shares his wonderful (& very economical) experience after converting his Honda Civic AT to CNG: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...matic-cng.html

What is the Insurance Amount you agreed? Hope you have settled for full IDV on the Insurance policy.

Also wish you all the very best searching for a new Car & yes, we will keep the basic of our Car (brakes, tyres, etc) regularly checked.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 16th November 2012 at 10:13. Reason: information added
Old 21st November 2012, 09:31   #228
BHPian

Thank God. Polo is a great car, it just saved your life from such a nasty accident. I don't think airbags deploy when there is no frontal collision.

Really, I very often feel the need to look up at the blue skies and say "thank you". You're only lucky person. Enjoy your life, spread the message and drive safe!
BurningHeart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:05   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh
Hello Frontosa,

Thank God that you were saved & there was no major injury. When my family members saw the picture of your damaged they just could not believe that anyone would have survived.

I too was involved in a accident couple of months back, though the car was not damaged till the extent your Car is damaged, but luckily we all were absolutely safe. I do understand how it feel for few minutes after such accident.

Has the insurance proceedings started? I believe you Car will go as a Total Loss Case & Insurance company will pay you the Total Loss Amount agreed with you.

Please feel free to contact me anytime for any queries with regards to Insurance Cliams.

Thanks,
The insurance is progressing , I just received a check yesterday of 1.3 lacks from salvage buyer , the insurance company will pay the balance from full idv , I.e 6.97 lacks - 1.3 lacks , hopefully in the coming week
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:11   #230
BHPian

By the way , the salvage company told me they will restore the car just like a brand new one for 2.5 - 3 lacs ! I got tempted to buy - with an unlimited option to modify the body wheels lights etc of the car (ofcoursre at additional price) as engine and transmission is good in the car , I m guessing I could have the whole thing under 3.5 ! What do you all think ? I personally later thought to chuck that ! My question is whether these people can actually do that ? And how so cheap ?
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:23   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally later thought to chuck that ! My question is whether these people can actually do that ? And how so cheap ?
Hello Frontosa,

Glad to hear that you too are getting full IDV from Insurance company. So which Car you are thinking to buy now?

Regarding your question for restoration of Car by salvage buyers - Yes, it actually happens. If you know the salvage buyer just ask him to show you the car once it is ready - you will just not believe what you will see. The Car will look absolutely new & carfully maintained.

The same thing as happened to my WagonR couple of months back. Chamunda Motors (Maruti Authorized Service Station) quoted Rs. 2+ to repair the car, while salvage buyer bought it for Rs. 1.3 lacs, repaired it & sold it for approx Rs. 2.4 lacs. When my family members saw the pictures of repaired car, they were in a state of shock.

But according to insurance serveyor the quality of repairs by salvage buyers is not good. The restored car will start giving problems like water leakage in monsoon, suspension problems very soon.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:50   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way , the salvage company told me they will restore the car just like a brand new one for 2.5 - 3 lacs !
I am sure they will make the car to look like a new to an untrained eye (you take it to a good used car dealer and he will immediately tell it is repainted) but you wont know what happens to the structural parts, crumple zone etc. I feel the car will not have the same structural integrity.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 12:48   #233
BHPian

Frontosa -- I just happened to see this thread and could not believe what you said on the thread. Man, you are lucky. As someone quoted, celebrate 14th Aug as your second birthday. All the best for a happy life ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Regarding your question for restoration of Car by salvage buyers - Yes, it actually happens. If you know the salvage buyer just ask him to show you the car once it is ready - you will just not believe what you will see. The Car will look absolutely new & carfully maintained.

The same thing as happened to my WagonR couple of months back. Chamunda Motors (Maruti Authorized Service Station) quoted Rs. 2+ to repair the car, while salvage buyer bought it for Rs. 1.3 lacs, repaired it & sold it for approx Rs. 2.4 lacs. When my family members saw the pictures of repaired car, they were in a state of shock.
Leave pictures, just reading this and I am I dont want to believe they actually do that and unsuspecting buyers and newbies would fall prey to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
but you wont know what happens to the structural parts, crumple zone etc. I feel the car will not have the same structural integrity.
You are absolutely right Guna. Structural rigidity, crumple zones and security aspects of such a damaged vehicle has already vanished. And the first time buyer or untrained eyes would believe the seller and stake his money and life in such a piece of metal.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 13:08   #234
Senior - BHPian

Frontosa, glad to know that you have recovered well.

Quote:
By the way , the salvage company told me they will restore the car just like a brand new one for 2.5 - 3 lacs ! I got tempted to buy - with an unlimited option to modify the body wheels lights etc of the car (ofcoursre at additional price) as engine and transmission is good in the car , I m guessing I could have the whole thing under 3.5 ! What do you all think ? I personally later thought to chuck that ! My question is whether these people can actually do that ? And how so cheap ?
Stick with your decision to dispose the car. That Polo will never be the same again and it will be a safety hazard. Put pressure on your insurance to declare the car as Total Loss. Restoring that Polo is not a good decision.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 13:24   #235
BHPian

Thanks everyone !
I m not picking up the same car , it was just tempting to buy polo for 2, 5 lacks !!!
Old 26th November 2012, 13:54   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone !
I m not picking up the same car , it was just tempting to buy polo for 2, 5 lacks !!!
Its not a Polo anymore. Like the mint with the same name, it would just be a car with a massive hole in its structural rigidity.
I am glad you have taken the correct decision!
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 14:04   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a garage that does these kinds of work right opposite my house. These guys buy totalled cars and restore them. But it is done in the crudest ways, keeping costs as low as possible. Only the exterior is brought to top notch condition, in order to fool the buyer. However, they once restored a toppled tavera, which was then purchased by a neighbour. Guess he was aware of the previous condition of the car as the car had been there for a month.

But this polo is way too damaged. I would love to see the pictures after this car is rebuilt.
Old 26th November 2012, 15:53   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Leave pictures, just reading this and I am I dont want to believe they actually do that and unsuspecting buyers and newbies would fall prey to it.
Hello Advait,

Believe me. This happens in each & every city in India. Infact this is a highly profitable business. The cosmetic work that they do is so fine that is it very difficult for a used Car buyer (who is anyways Price concious) to judge whether the Car in original condition or restored.

Forget newbies, many times experienced Car buyers also fall prey to these people. Recently when I purchased a Used Car, I had a long discussion sith the dealer & he sweared that many times it is difficult for used Car Dealers also to judge that the Car in front of them is restored. He gave me just one tip for buying Used Car - Insist on used Cars that are available in as is condition (i.e. with scratches & dents).

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 19:28   #239
BHPian

Hello Friends, Thanks for all your kind wishes from this thread. Life is on its path and after lot of research and evaluation I m going ahead with Vento TDI HL in Silver colour. Hopefully will have ownership review once I get the car and all upgrades in place. With the car I'm getting rear spoiler, mud flaps, floor mats, GPS navigation (mapmyindia), reverse camera free. Planning for HID projectors & audio upgrade (just amp and good component system).
Frontosa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:17   #240
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support : Thread has come to a logical conclusion and hence closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks