Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2012, 15:03   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)

Wow, somebody was watching you.
If front airbags open only in case of frontal impact, we should seriously consider cars will side and roof airbags as well and they are rare and expensive!

I remember an accident some months ago on old Mumbai Pune road where a truck ran over a Merc and everyone in the Mer died. That's when I started thinking, airbags are not enough, the body (roof, chassis, etc) should be so strong to ensure the cabin is not reduced to zero. I don't know if any such car is available (and within some reasonable budget).

BTW, what happend to the truck that hit you?
And did you really have to PAY for the FIR?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 18th August 2012 at 15:08.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 15:09   #17
BHPian

I have seen your car on expressway, parked on the side. You are lucky!

I would believe the car has sturdy build and thats what saved you. One more important point is you were wearing the seat belts!

There was a case in the company where I work - a santro fell off the road (the road was elevated and fields on the side) and toppled 5 times and everyone was safe as they were wearing seatbelts.
Adi_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 15:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

You should really thank your stars! Thank God you are safe.

I see in one of the pics that the front LHS tyre has some uneven wear on the tread. That could have lead to loss of grip, maybe?
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 15:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed quite a bone chilling incident. I too have been in a similar incident way back in 2002 would not post it here now, maybe post the pics later.
Someone surely loves you up there and it's only that that could have made sure you came out of an accident like this with little injuries. Also you actually crawled out yourself. Very brave especially keeping you mind in place and not panicking,
Thanks for sharing this.l
harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 15:20   #20
BHPian

Take a look at this pic -
God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)-vw-1.jpg

If I am not mistaken, the Polo has Airbag sensors near both left & right fenders. The fenders have been crushed like an empty tin can. So this, at least theoretically, should have deployed the Airbags.
Why did the Airbags not deploy,you guess is as good as mine.
Regards,
Varun
powertrain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 15:51   #21
BHPian

No they couldnt catch the truck as all cops at that place had assembled to save me, and I guess when I told them yesterday about the truck they came to know otherwise they had no clue.
Yes I was wearing seat belts.
Now regarding the tyres having uneven wear... I am not sure I understand looking at the pics. Are you saying the right side of the picture circled has better grip than the left side? Also the car had normal air not nitrogen this time and was at 32 PSI.. I checked before driving that day.

Who can confirm if the right and left fenders have airbag sensors? I know even airbags even after deploying could have gotten busted with this impact, but I'm just trying to analyze if this is something VW can check and whether I should pursue with them to check - whether its worth it, not for the past incident thats gone but if at all it helps make their cars more foolproof in turn benefiting a common man in future.

Also does the 5 star NCAP Euro crash rating help? I know this post Morten exercise is futile but I am considering a safer car for around 10 lacs, I thought of duster but it has only 3 star rating + its door dont shut with a thud. So lets see I will read about all that here on tbhp. But any quick suggestions are welcome And moreover I'm trying to learn more on how to buy safer cars and how to keep them more safer for e.g. by checking the threads of the uneven tyre wear out. So please keep your comments pouring in - It all helps me bring smile in this new 2nd life
Frontosa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 15:54   #22
BHPian

First of all Truly God was on your Co-passenger seat which ultimately saved you.

I guess you should lodge a complain with VW Guys and they will do justice to it.

With airbags loaded vehicle had one incident & the airbags didnt deploy. It was my Hyundai Elantra and someone on-coming had hit me hard on my RHS Headlight i had complained to the they hyundai regional chief Mr.B.S.Geong his associate confirmed that the airbags deployed only on frontal accident which the sensor reads & these sensors are activated above 70 kmph or else every minor incident in the city will lead to Airbag Coming Out. But my case was below 50 kmph and hence realised & understood about the working of Airbags.

Would also bring into notice one very famous incident in Jaipur with a Mercedes C-Class the owners son was driving the vehicle on Sikar Road & he crashed badly on way to entering Jaipur City all passengers were spot dead speed was about 150kmph. The airbags didnt deploy. From the newspapers we came to know that initially there were various reasons cited out by media but later on Mercedes Infomred that the driver & his co-passenger was not wearing seat belts which led to non-deployment of airbags.

Now i also have a query with the distinguised & senior guys & other members of the forum as well about this fact that if we dont wear a seat belt & we are travelling above 60/70/80 kmph will the Airbags deploy or will it not?

Thanks
sumit_jain_usa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 15:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
....I think only GOD saved me and no other car would have.
I just can't agree more with you on this. That one line says it all.

Just enjoy this second lease of life that God has given you. Also continue to keep up the good work of spreading the news about safe driving and the importance of seat belts.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 16:11   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Man! this is a lucky escape and a Second life for you!! Looks like VW build quality helped more than the Airbag/ABS combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumit_jain_usa View Post
Now i also have a query with the distinguised & senior guys & other members of the forum as well about this fact that if we dont wear a seat belt & we are travelling above 60/70/80 kmph will the Airbags deploy or will it not?

Thanks
I have read some where that Airbag will deploy only when we wear seat belt. This is because, If the Airbag deploys without seat belt then it can cause severe facial injuries, not sure how far this is true.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 16:19   #25
BHPian

I am sorry for you haven't done justice with your words. How you described it and what the pictures suggest are two big big extremes. I thought your car toppled and you came out on one side, waiting to be rescued but this is a slipping out death's hands my friend. If I passed your car, I would have said a prayer for your soul but you're here and you're alive.

Blame VW or not, please do thank your stars. You are one lucky guy. I still feel you should try and watch these pictures again to know what were the odds of you crawling out with just a few injuries.

The Universe is with you. Sleep with a smile plastered on your face. VW may have cheated you, but so did death. Thank the lord above for that.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 16:31   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

That was a scary accident!

1. The Front Airbags are designed to help in a frontal collision, they wouldn't be of much help in a rollover or side impact. Side and Curtain Airbags are good for side impacts and rollover. The only hatchback i know which comes with Side airbags is i20(Optional in a single variant in petrol).

2. Your Polo has ABS with EBD and Brake assist but it is not designed to stabilise the car. ESP helps in stabilisation but i doubt it would help in case of a external impact. ESP is not available on any of the hatchbacks here.

3. The blinkers in some Euro cars are designed to come on Automatically after the car senses a collision or emergency braking.

4. Amongst the Hatchbacks Polo is as safe it gets. It has a good strong energy absorbing structure and was rated 5 star in Euro NCAP. Other Hatchbacks with Euro NCAP Rating- Punto, i20, Swift...

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th August 2012 at 09:31. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 16:51   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Man you know you are really lucky to have come out of that. 11 out of 10 times on seeing a car like your's, I would be certain that no one made out alive from that, forget unhurt.

Our highways have become to dangerous that its scary to drive. This is the reason why I always feel more safe in an SUV/MUV specially on the highways. The larger vehicle makes it more likely for these drunk truck drivers to spot you. On the other hand what about a fully loaded Verna which comes with 6 air bags etc.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 16:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumit_jain_usa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I have read some where that Airbag will deploy only when we wear seat belt. This is because, If the Airbag deploys without seat belt then it can cause severe facial injuries, not sure how far this is true.
Airbags open ONLY if seat belts are worn and in advanced cars, Seatbelt must be worn + there must be a person seated(Weight sensor) to activate passenger airbag.

Seat belts hold you in your position and Airbags cushion the movement that your neck moves on sudden impact / stop. You might get into cervical spine fracture without seat belts.

TEchnically Airbags can be ade to deploy without seat belts being buckled up, but since the injury caused is more, the electronic system is designed to inflate the airbag only if seat belts are buckled.
scopriobharath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 17:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Being a regular on the Mumbai-Pune expressway get to see cars at the side of the road in different state of disintegration and i always assume that the passengers would either be critically injured or departed. But my assumption has been proved wrong and i am very happy about it.

I read your description twice and still cannot believe that you are ok and posting this within 4 days of the accident. You are one lucky soul. I also think that the concrete wall saved your life big time. You landing on the other side on the road would have been catastrophic not only for you but other cars as well.

Air Bags i believe should have got deployed. But i guess alls well that ends well. Thank God that you are safe.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 17:21   #30
BHPian

Well my friend, you are truly lucky to be alive and share you story with us.

Also, wonder which cars in the 4L to 15L range do come with ESP in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed