Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2012, 11:56   #106
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: God saved me on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway (in a VW Polo)

Thank "GOD" for saving you my friend. Airbags deployed or not, you are save and healthy which makes me happy.

The below happened with my friend in his Punto 90HP. Thankfully FIAT saved him and his wife as his FIAT was sandwiched between two lorries (four rear tires of the lorry was in air and lorry was landing on the Punto!) and airbags were deployed.

How my beloved punto saved my family

Last edited by Karthik1100 : 20th August 2012 at 12:02.
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 13:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the car, no one can take a wild guess also that some one survived. You were very very lucky.

Strangely, after a long driving vacation weekend, I returned to office and within minutes, I got to read about this accident and then the one involving the Fiat Punto. Both gave me goose bumps for sure. In Polo, the airbags did not deploy and the brakes + tires + rain may not have given the desired result.

In the Punto however the Airbags got deployed even while it stationary at a red light. May be because it was a frontal impact.

In both cases the primary saviour I guess was SEAT BELTS!!

Last edited by funkykar : 20th August 2012 at 13:41.
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 13:55   #108
Senior - BHPian

You were indeed very lucky to survive a crash like that. God is with you.

Makes me agree with experts who suggest to live and cherish each day of our lives or live as if you were to die tomorrow.

I'm glad I have the Polo's elder cousin sister- the Rapid.
Seeing what has happened to your car, I would say a word of thanks for the baby. She held you and protected you so that no further harm came your way and you were in a state to write about it in a few hours.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 13:56   #109
GTO
Team-BHP Support

God bless, and we are all glad that you are safe. Hats off to the support crew who also arrived at the spot so promptly.

Despite all the 5* crash test ratings of cars from other countries, they say that if you have to meet with an accident...you'd better be in a German car. I hope you kissed your Polo for saving your life

Wish you a speedy recovery!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 15:19   #110
BHPian

I am so happy that you came out of it without a head injury. I am also glad that you had your seat belt on. This is your second life and I am certain that this gift has been bestowed on you for a reason. Soul search and dive deep within yourself and you will soon get to know what it is. Then work towards its fullfillment. Sorry to talk like this, even I had a crash of equal proportions and suffered a lot, hence, I say this. Best of luck with the ribs, they will heal before you know. Thank god!!
Samridh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 17:45   #111
BHPian

Hello All,

This is the reply I received from VW after their preliminary examination: Any comments are welcome.

Dear XXXXX

Greetings from Volkswagen Passenger Cars!

We regret to learn of the unfortunate incident.

We understand that your car has reported at M/s Volkswagen Pune West on August 18,2012.As regards to your concern pertaining to airbags, we wish to inform that your Volkswagen Polo is equipped with two frontal airbags. In case of rapid deceleration, the frontal sensors detect the same and airbags deploy.

On preliminary inspection by our dealership M/s Volkswagen Pune West, it is understood that the impact was from rear and hence airbags did not deployed.

We assure you that your concerns will be attended at the earliest as per Volkswagen standards.

Incase of any further assistance, kindly feel free to call Volkswagen India Assistance 24x7, Anytime. Anywhere. Call toll free 1800 102 0909 / 1800 209 0909 or write to us at customer.care@volkswagen.co.in.

Assuring you of our best services.

Best Regards,

XXXXX
Customer Care - After Sales
Volkswagen Passenger Cars India

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2012 at 19:59. Reason: Removing naked FONT tags
Frontosa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 17:55   #112
BHPian

Frontosa, whether it was Divine Intervention or the laws of physics or your good deeds of the past that got you out of this accident can be a debate for those who are interested, but you are alive and healthy to tell this tale is the most important thing for you and your family. You should surely celebrate August 14 as your second birthday. Based on my limited knowledge I suggest the following cars as your next buy: Polo/Vento/Jetta, Punto/Linea.

I wish you a speedy (mental) recovery.
PranavDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 17:56   #113
Senior - BHPian

This is nothing short of a miracle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
One more question: Can I consider Skoda as safe as VW? Or Renault as safe as VW? I mean are all European cars similarly strong? (the shell I mean)? I always thought FIAT and VW are stronger but other European cars may not be. (well in the upto 20 lac budget I thought).
I would think that any modern car (including Korean, Japanese, American)would have provided you the same level of protection your VW has given you. Some cars may have flimsy sheet metal but they do have strong super structure/cage, which is what is important in these type of situations.
As we can see the car body shell has collapsed, it is just a matter of coincidence that the point where you were sitting has deformed less (car must have fallen on it's back along the roof-line on the opposite side). It is also possible that you were ducking out of reflex/instinct which has helped in avoiding the head banging against the deforming roof.

Last edited by Guna : 20th August 2012 at 18:02.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 19:29   #114
BHPian

Frontosa,

It was really God who has saved you as all the others have said. Thank Him for that. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Maxwell Arthur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 19:36   #115
BHPian

@Frontosa, it was really scary to go through your narration of the incident and happy that you are safe ! On reading VW response you got, it makes me feel that it is better to go for a car with airbags which can help from even side impact. Unfortunately all these potential life saving equipments are considered as luxury in India ! Take care.
venks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 19:51   #116
BHPian

Just like everyone else, I'll reiterate - you are very very luck!

I don't fully buy what VW has said. The airbags should have deployed when you hit the RCC wall of the duct. The only reason that might not happen is that the sensors are positioned too much towards the center.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 19:55   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
Just like everyone else, I'll reiterate - you are very very luck!

I don't fully buy what VW has said. The airbags should have deployed when you hit the RCC wall of the duct. The only reason that might not happen is that the sensors are positioned too much towards the center.
The sensors are mostly in the steering rake. So any damage which the rake senses will deploy the airbags irrespective of what the speed is and wether the engine is running is not.
chinmaybaikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 21:04   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That is one major accident you have walked away from!

How was your driving on that fateful trip before the incident? I ask because some people here have had some scary experiences with S Drives, under hard braking. They were all in diesel cars with ABS. I think there is a thread on that too.
This is the most relevant point here. I have come across multiple such instances where the S Drives have behaved similarly. I will add one more dimension to this. 30K on perhaps Apolo Aceleres might have NOT caused this. On the other hand, S drives at 30 K would be far more worn considering they are a softer compound and wear faster. The grip lost in such cases is exponential with increasing miles on the tires.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 21:40   #119
BHPian

God bless you and good to see you type in this post. Welcome to your second life. It's hard to believe that someone actually walked off that car. And seriously, airbags deployed or not, I am impressed with the way you managed to walk out of the car. Considering that you are not invited by Fantastic four yet, I would like to give credits to the car and to the really beautiful lady luck that gave you company. Wow ! I am out of words.
abhisheksircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 22:48   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

It is no doubt a horror story that has a happy ending though. Its also a miraculous escape from the inevitable.
As someone has already said here, I also agree that your birthday should also be celebrated on this day of the miracle happening.
The remains of your car, turned into an amoeba as you put it, I feel does not speak much about the build quality, though that may be a wee bit better than some competing brands. The 'A', 'B' and 'C' pillars have all turned ductile and have folded and deformed in whatever way they could. The passenger compartment from the pillars down below though, has not got much compressed either transversely or longitudinally. and that's because it was not hit there by any oncoming vehicle.Its the almighty and providence that has saved you.
There is a thread here on teambhp and also there is a facebook page about a Mercedes S Class that recently was going from Delhi to Jaipur. The owner was driving it and the driver's side 'A' pillar got hit. This pillar in turn caused head injuries to the driver and killed him instantly.The airbags did not deploy nor did the other electronic safety braking features save him.The airbag sensors rightfully have no mechanism for getting deployed when the 'A' pillar or anything other than the place where the sensors are fitted get hit. That's paying Rs 1 crore and driving a German car ("tank like build quality" as some moto-journalists put it) but getting killed.
I also believe that the extreme right lanes need to be vacated for the seven and a half tonne or heavier monsters or the self proclaimed "Kings of the Road". We have so many expressways/ 4 lane highways but our driving manners are still primitive. The roads are the best places as they say where one can adjudge animal-like behavior in humans and learn many lessons in psychology.
Hence, we law abiding drivers need to stay away from the speedier lanes. I would further go on to proclaim that we must try and maintain speeds of 60-70 kmph on such death traps. I may invite criticism here. Because a car is much in control @ 60-70 kmph.It becomes a bit out of our control at higher speeds. We drive at 100 kmph plus speeds (sorry not you, you only reached 80 kmph) and though our cars are designed to stop during emergencies, we must not forget that many fellow traffic users exhibit animal-like behavior and may pose a grave danger to us.
The VW reply which you have reproduced here appears farcical. The car they say was hit from the rear. The truck hit it from the rear - true. The front portion of your car was also smashed when it landed in the pit. What about the deployment after the frontal hit ?
Please do careful research when you buy your next car, but its best to keep left and drive safe. Also with your resilience that you have already shown, you will get over the bad dream.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th August 2012 at 23:04.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks