Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 17:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Accident victim lying on the road. Everyone just drives by!

Very well done Akshay. I remember one ghastly accident in Delhi almost at midnight near Pragati Maidan when a lorry crushed a scooter under it some 15 years ago. The lorry driver, alarmed by the sound of metal crushing underneath, reversed his lorry, changed the lane and drove past. I was watching the incident from a red-light, where I had stopped by car obeying the traffic lights. A few (not many) cars were also there and they immediately drove off. I stayed back, to watch in amazement that the scooterist, in his state of daze, trying to get up from the road and trying to start his crushed scooter. Then, he slowly walked towards the traffic island and fainted.

That was not the age of mobiles and I knew there was a police assistance booth nearby (just at the corner of Old Fort), so rushed there and informed the police about the incident. Two cops accompanied me in my car for the few hundred yards and came to the spot. Realising that arranging an Ambulance immediately could be difficult, the profusely bleeding man was taken to AIIMS in my car. The cops arranged his admission, thanked me, took a small statement and my visiting card and let me go without any hassle. They never bothered me with anything after that. I do not know finally what happened to the man, he was in bad shape. I had to throw away the blood-stained seat cover of my Premiere D the following day, and that was it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I find lot of elderly people and women finding it difficult to cross the road. I see most of the cars just honk and pass them so close that scares the good life out of them. I always stop the car and ask them to cross the road. The smile on their face after we stop to let them cross is something that feels good to experience.
A good thing to do. I also do the same. Let pedestrians cross first.
subratasenn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 22:18   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Good Job Akshay, and GOD bless you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I always stop the car and ask them to cross the road. The smile on their face after we stop to let them cross is something that feels good to experience.
Last couple of years, I am taking all care to allow the Sr citizens, kids, for that matter everyone cross the road, even if it means I am blocking the vehicles beyond me.

I agree, a smile on their face or relief on their face is worth the honks I get from vehicles beyond the street.

Request everyone to help the pedestrians to cross the roads safely. They do have loved ones, let us all take a oath that we will never ever bully any pedestrian, what ever may be the urgency.
manjubp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 23:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys,makes me feel good.
Too bad that poor kid didnt survive the mishap.
I drove past the spot today again,and observed the tyre marks.
It was a truck
Old 6th November 2012, 09:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Thanks a lot guys,makes me feel good.
Too bad that poor kid didnt survive the mishap.
I drove past the spot today again,and observed the tyre marks.
It was a truck
congrats!! you played the perfect citizen. I too would have informed the cops, but to be honest, i will not stop, get down, investigate or if the victim is injured put him/her in my car and drive to the hospital.
Reason being. I am not a trained paramedic. Nor is my car an equipped ambulance. Trying to move an injured person, without understanding of his/her injuries may make it worse.

Secondly, I have read about horror stories in this very forum, where in good Samaritans have been accused by the injured and his relatives as being the person causing the accident, in order to rake in money leading to unnecessary mental harassment by the state cops. Since I can't judge who is good or evil, I have made a mental note to myself, that I will pass by, call the police and the ambulance service, give them the details of the accident and move on.
Old 6th November 2012, 09:26   #20
BANNED

You did the right thing. However next time never assume the guy is dead. There are some amazing stories of people surviving after someone has helped them. Maybe some Doctors on the forum could give some suggestions on how to deal with accident victims.
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 09:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry to hear this incident and Great job Akshay. At first, when you mentioned dog, I thought it was a young one of a Goat- A Kid. Only later did I realize it was a human kid.

No excuse for the person who did this. The least they could have done is to inform the police, even if they feared public wrath. I blame the parents here too. Which sane parent would let their child stroll out at the early morning hours? Phew, I guess its too much to expect people to value human lives when they don't know where the next meal is coming from. For them its only one less mouth to feed at the end of the day.

On a related note, I recall an article a few months back, that most people in China are wary of helping elderly folks in an accident or fall. It has turned out on numerous occasions that the elderly person puts the blame on the good Samaritan, files a case against him and makes the rescuer pay compensation. In one incident, the old man who had fallen from a bus had to beg to the people passing by that he will not file a case against them and they can rescue him without fear.
Hope we never get to see these kind of days in India.. Ever..

On my part, where possible, I stop my car and let Senior citizens or women cross the road when I drive. On many occasions, the smile on their face or the expression of thanks itself is enough to let me feel warm and fuzzy after a hard day at work and gives me a high!
Old 6th November 2012, 11:17   #22
BHPian

Well done Akshay. I came across something similar a couple of weeks back. I was driving from Ambala to Patiala and on the Rajpura - Patiala stretch, just after the canal bridge, I came across commotion. It was around 9 in the night. I spotted a man lying in the middle of the road. This is a double lane - no divider. Some other people had stopped and called the police. What appalled me is that nobody wanted to even slow down and one biker on a bullet, no helmet, came speeding rammed into the victims bike which was also lying on the road and skidded and missed me by a whisker. He could have killed me if he had banged into me. Anyways we decided to move the victim to the road side and wait for police. I left once the police arrived.

On a good note, the victim although unconscious was breathing...a life saved, hopefully.
Old 6th November 2012, 11:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
On a related note, I recall an article a few months back, that most people in China are wary of helping elderly folks in an accident or fall. Hope we never get to see these kind of days in India.. Ever..
There was a you tube video which had gone viral showing how an emergency vehicle (fire truck I guess) was stuck in traffic jam since none of the motorists want to let it pass. This also was from China.
Here in India too, if travelling in night on seeing someone or something the first thought which comes to mind is if its a robbery attempt. Cant blame ourselfs for that. However I feel we are as a society turning paranoid about ourselfs.
Old 6th November 2012, 11:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Fully agree on this point I had the 1st hand experience of a Kid running on NH-8 at baroda after which the parents nor the kid was to be seen even though we risked our own to save the kid....

.....There are exceptions, cops who are nice but I am yet to come across one!
Do not agree to this one. Kids are kids and they or their parents have no intention of putting anybody's life in danger. That's why we call such incidents 'accidents'. It is carelessness on the parents' part, no doubt, but unintentional.

I have come across quite a few good cops in Delhi and have some real good experience with them. Although haven'y met any in the neighboring states.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 12:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I have come across quite a few good cops in Delhi and have some real good experience with them. Although haven'y met any in the neighboring states.
Yes, my experience with Delhi cops had been good. Rude on the face sometimes (that's Delhi culture) but they mean business. Very efficient too.

Kolkata cops are very reasonable and friendly too.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading about a similar incident in Pune, where in an adult female lay dead on the road.
Not only did anyone not stop , she was repeatedly run over by many vehicles throughout the night. The end result was extremely gruesome.
It was discussed in one of the threads here, tried to find it but cannot.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Do not agree to this one. Kids are kids and they or their parents have no intention of putting anybody's life in danger. That's why we call such incidents 'accidents'. It is carelessness on the parents' part, no doubt, but unintentional.

You got me wrong, I am against Parents allowing kids to run free specially next to roads, highways even railways. I agree Kids are kids and its the parents responsibility that they don't endanger their kids life or others.

But as a motorist, who is driving within speed limit on a road which is meant for heavy traffic movement, I certainly feel its criminal on the parents part to let the kids run around intentional or not.

Most of the time these are kids of the labors working for the highway or projects around highways.

Would I try saving a kid on a Highway risking my own with my whole family in the car yes. Would I regret it if something happens to my family definitely yes.

As good people our 1st reaction would always be Help and save.
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 21:03   #28
BANNED

8 hours back I witnessed an accident in front of my eyes.

A motorists falls from his Activa which was at 50-60kmph when trying to save a dog while it was crossing. The motorists was badly injuried and his head was bleeding lightly.

Seconds from falling people gathered around him and started staring at him as he was alien from another world and the most irritating part to me was 80% of the on-lookers were asking him "How are you now?; Why do you drive fast?". Instead of helping him and rushing him to the hospital people ask such questions. I called the doctor in the nearby hospital and take him there in my car and inform his family. Once they arrived i left from there.

Others around were worried to help him and inform the police or take him to the hospital is the police issues that would follow.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 22:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
8 hours back I witnessed an accident in front of my eyes.

A motorists falls from his Activa which was at 50-60kmph when trying to save a dog while it was crossing. The motorists was badly injuried and his head was bleeding lightly.

Seconds from falling people gathered around him and started staring at him as he was alien from another world and the most irritating part to me was 80% of the on-lookers were asking him "How are you now?; Why do you drive fast?". Instead of helping him and rushing him to the hospital people ask such questions. I called the doctor in the nearby hospital and take him there in my car and inform his family. Once they arrived i left from there.

Others around were worried to help him and inform the police or take him to the hospital is the police issues that would follow.
Thank you for saving a man's life. Have seen people staying away from such acts. Either they are indifferent or scared to handle to the situation. I don't know why. An accident can happen to anybody and fellow human beings should be there to help the person out. Is city life getting too inhuman/selfish?
Old 12th November 2012, 06:49   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman
ople to value human lives when they don't know where the next meal is coming from. For them its only one less mouth to feed at the end of the day.

On a related note, I recall an article a few months back, that most people in China are wary of helping elderly folks in an accident or fall. It has turned out on numerous occasions that the elderly person puts the blame on the good Samaritan, files a case against him and makes the rescuer pay compensation. In one incident, the old man who had fallen from a bus had to beg to the people passing by that he will not file a case against them and they can rescue him without fear.
Hope we never get to see these kind of days in India.. Ever..

On my part, where possible, I stop my car and let Senior citizens or women cross the road when I drive. On many occasions, the smile on their face or the expression of thanks itself is enough to let me feel warm and fuzzy after a hard day at work and gives me a high!
I think this problem also exists in India, albeit to a lesser degree. The chap that you stop to help is quite capable of putting the blame on you if you look like you are well off enough!

I also always stop and let older people, ladies, kids and so on, cross and then continue. However, it would help if they all used the few pedestrian crossings that we have in the city! As it is, all of them usually cross just as they like so in one sense on cannot blame motorists for getting irritated.

The funny thing here in India is that when you stop to let someone pass, everyone behind you is honking like a madman, trying to get past. Indeed, some of them try and squeeze themselves into the minor gaps that may exist on your right or left because they cant be bothered to see why you have stopped.

Why are we always in such a hurry?

Most Viewed