Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2013, 17:35   #46
BHPian

Re: Accident victim lying on the road. Everyone just drives by!

Well, I have developed a slightly different strategy. If I see any accident, I don't stop *at* the accident spot. I stop a good 60-80 meters ahead and walk back. That way, I am just walking by and haven't *caused* the accident in case a local suspects me of being the culprit. While walking back, I pull out my phone and call up 100 so that by the time I reach the spot, I have at least informed the police about an accident and its location.

Then we come to the actual victim. If the phone call is still on, I give victim details (age / gender etc.) and ask for injuries (yet to come across an unconscious victim, apart from the one that I had hit.). Immediately also call up 102/108 to call an ambulance (if needed).

The next priority is to clear the road (in case a bike is involved) so that:
1. Nobody else plows into us causing further damage to life and property.
2. To avoid a traffic snarl.. Police / Ambulance should be on their way.. They should reach fast.

I remember an incident which happened in front of a coffee shop I used to frequent in Bavdhan, Pune. A loaded water tanker going downhill this way <-- suddenly went out of control and into the wrong lane hitting 1) A bike (badly damaged), 2) A Maruti Zen with LPG (minor damage), 3) An Omni (crushed to the size of a Wagon R) All going --> this way.

The worst hit was the guy on the bike who had an open fracture in his left leg apart from other minor bruises here and there. That was probably the first time I actually saw a bone. I had seen brains and intestines (splattered on the road) prior to this incident but never bone.

Anyways, back to topic, my strategy worked since within 5 minutes, the police had reached the spot and within 12 minutes, we had loaded up the bike rider into the ambulance bound for a hospital.

Edit: 108 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-0-8

Last edited by antz.bin : 17th February 2013 at 17:39.
antz.bin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 21:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CCTV footages showed that the woman's husband and his four-year-old son beseeched passers-by for help for almost 10 minutes. However, no one stopped to help them, police said.
Jaipur: Callous city ignores accident victims, mother and child bleed to death
Old 15th April 2013, 22:19   #48
BHPian

I had seen this video on ibn live it was a horrible site to watch. Switched it off midway. Could not see the helpless man with his son on the road waving to passerby, what a pathetic sight! Very sad that we living in such an improvised world where communication is so easy and help is just a phone call away. We all stay away from this only because either the victim can suddenly turn onto us and say that we caused the accident or the police makes us the witness and we get harrased on account of this in the bargain. But at the end of all this particular accident was way too bad to be left ignored! May the deceased RIP.
Old 15th April 2013, 23:17   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
I had seen this video on ibn live it was a horrible site to watch. Switched it off midway. Could not see the helpless man with his son on the road waving to passerby, what a pathetic sight! Very sad that we living in such an improvised world where communication is so easy and help is just a phone call away. We all stay away from this only because either the victim can suddenly turn onto us and say that we caused the accident or the police makes us the witness and we get harrased on account of this in the bargain. But at the end of all this particular accident was way too bad to be left ignored! May the deceased RIP.
Yes it was a pathetic sight !! Sadly that has become our culture !!!

However I dont understand if there was CCTV then why there was no one watching the CCTV live? And if some one was watching the CCTV live than is it not his duty to inform police?

What is the use of installing CCTV if no one is watching it live?

What have the authorities achieved by releasing this CCTV video?

Last edited by athanedar : 15th April 2013 at 23:21.
Old 16th April 2013, 13:30   #50
BHPian

It was heart wrenching to see the scenes shown on the TV - especially the kid watching its mother and sister lying dead. The unfortunate kid will carry the ghastly memories throught its life. It was sickening to see none responded to the man's plea to stop and help him. Even animals, which are less intelligent than humans, feel agitated at the sight of other distressed animal.
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:43   #51
BHPian

Guess what, I too adopt the strategy of parking the car a good distance away from the accident spot and try and provide my help. The biggest problem is no one calls 108 or the nearest hospital helpline even they have mobile phones. People are busy explaining the situation to their friends! Two weeks ago I happened to see a man bleeding and lying in the middle of the road. When I went, no one called 108. After I called 108 and waiting for the ambulance to arrive, the man's father is abusing me of not doing anything but waiting for the ambulance. In fact I was the only person offering to help and he showered me with all abuses. Sometimes I feel its worthless to offer help as its more trouble than any benefit.

The scene of the man with kid asking for help in that TV clip was saddening, our moral sense has gone away. People are always into analyzing what could have gone wrong rather than trying and help recover what is left!

All we can do is wish and pray we don't end up in that man's situation anytime our lifetime!
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Primary investigations reveal that the man (on his bike) had entered a road/tunnel on which two wheelers were not allowed. Secondly he tried overtaking a trailer on its blind side, from the left, and sadly he got crushed by it. I may be wrong in the above statements, cause I gathered it from several newspapers.
Regarding road users stopping and helping out, its dangerous to expect untrained civilians to move accident victims without medical/paramedic knowledge, infact you might kill the victim especially if he/she has unknown back/head injuries. So its best if no untrained person picks up or moves accident victims lying on the road.
Yes its imperative that everyone tries to reach the nearest police helpline, personnel or medical facilities and ambulance, so that the victim can recieve primary aid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks