Team-BHP - Brilliant initiative by Vodafone on safety
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Brilliant initiative by Vodafone on safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/130360-brilliant-initiative-vodafone-safety-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourabhzen (Post 2993698)
Thanks 999 for your post.

I was saddened by the negative responses on T-BHP to such a initiative. I mean, Vodafone is not asking something that is unethical or illogical or even illegal. they just want their employees to follow safety rules and these rule are applicable to all of us too. When we see a jerk driving insanely on roads, we wish there was somebody to control him. And now, we can not accept it if someone is trying to help the administration on safety rules.

The negative comments in this thread is not for the rules, but for the way it is administered.
As someone mentioned what will you do if a greedy cop fines you even though you are following the rules. Who are you going to argue with then, with the cop or with your company.

Firing/reprimanding the employees for not following rules outside of office and in their private lives is totally dictatorial.
Instead make them undergo a grueling two hour training on the importance of safety rules every time they break a rule. This will have a better impact on the people than firing or reprimanding them.

The best way to inculcate any form of safe habits comes only by awareness, knowledge and experience. The more you force someone to coax into safe habits, the more people shy away from them.

How many times have you not seen people removing seat belts/helmets as soon as they are sure that there would be no Police checking them. They only wear it because they are forced to. This will change if we educate the same person about the ill effects of not following the rules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourabhzen (Post 2993698)

I was saddened by the negative responses on T-BHP to such a initiative.

Hi Sourabhzen, It is a cultural thing. We try to break every rule that is imposed on us for our good. "jugaad" , workaround, call it a name. I was really sad to see a distinguished BHP-ian against it. We are not ready to do anything and expect somebody to do it for us. Sad.
Quote:

Originally Posted by speedmiester (Post 2993725)
The negative comments in this thread is not for the rules, but for the way it is administered.
As someone mentioned what will you do if a greedy cop fines you even though you are following the rules. Who are you going to argue with then, with the cop or with your company.

Firing/reprimanding the employees for not following rules outside of office and in their private lives is totally dictatorial.
Instead make them undergo a grueling two hour training on the importance of safety rules every time they break a rule. This will have a better impact on the people than firing or reprimanding them.

The best way to inculcate any form of safe habits comes only by awareness, knowledge and experience. The more you force someone to coax into safe habits, the more people shy away from them.

How many times have you not seen people removing seat belts/helmets as soon as they are sure that there would be no Police checking them. They only wear it because they are forced to. This will change if we educate the same person about the ill effects of not following the rules.

case point 1. A greedy cope fining you for over speeding.
If a person feels he is framed for an offence he has not committed, he can contest it. It is the onus of the state to prove that the accused is wrong. If a cop says you over sped and you are sure you didn't, then contest it. Ask for proof. Also a proper challan. I am sure this won't be given if he is just greedy. In that case the company can't punish you. simple. That is if they are linked.
Case point 2
No where in the rules, it says it is applicable to off duty time. Does it? You believe TOI that much? Firing reprimanding employee for not following the rule is the right of the company. If people are not happy with it, look for another job. He/She is working in a free market economy remember? If it is within the contract the person signed, the company is free to do so. Only sad exception is a government office, where nobody cares what you do. Also have you ever thought why it is so difficult to get something done by a government office? They are not accountable for anything they do. They are not checked for performance properly. If they were we wouldn't be a 3rd world economy still.
Training the employee is one thing. Who told you that is not done already? As i understand it, this is in place for more than a year. So if still someone is in-complacent, he is incompetent. He/She ought to be fired. If they are still not falling in line, what do you do? Sit aside and brag? Well not the case with private companies my friend.
Why is it so hard for us to follow a rule. It is not to torture you. It is for good.
Why bashing a company which is trying to falling the rules of the land in its own little way? Doing what it can within the limits of its governance? If all did that, we are living in a country with civic sense. Oh I am day dreaming. Isn't it?:Frustrati
I was once in Chennai for official purpose and we were around 16 personnel to be transported. By company policy we can use only transport with adhers to our rules especially seat belts for each seat. It was quite hard for the agent to find a bus with seat belts for every seat for us. And guess what, the guy wanted more money for that bus. Why? because it is bus with additional facility, which is seat belt !!!. He got paid though.
In this country we should bash vodafone for the nice initiative to death. we as the elite motoring group of India. Aren't we?

I think this is indeed a superb, responsible initiative and hence, should be commended rather than reviled.

A good sustainable Corporate Social Responsibility initiative rather than the typical hogwash that one is subjected to via these big companies PR efforts!

This is in line with the philosophy of getting ones house in order before going about preaching to the world around one!

I support this 100% and would love it if many more companies came up with similar codes of conduct, safety and responsibility!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 999 (Post 2993532)
...Just a question, can't you tell them that as you are more educated and well mannered? Just ignore the call or move to the kerb. no?

You must try out a Vodafone connection to know how pesky these guys can get. And nobody has the right to invade my personal space. Period.

It is the prerogative of the company to train its employees and not the clients.

Lastly, seems like you have missed out the larger point conveyed in the post. Peace!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 999 (Post 2993855)
No where in the rules, it says it is applicable to off duty time. Does it?

It says even senior staffers are monitored. Unless vodafone has senior staffers for whom driving is part of their job, I'm wondering what driving they're talking about.
Quote:

I was really sad to see a distinguished BHP-ian against it. We are not ready to do anything and expect somebody to do it for us. Sad
I'm sure there are other ways to do it. Better ways. In my previous company We used to have sessions on traffic rule awareness and proper driving - that's how I'd met a bunch of bhpians then. My current company provides Incentives to those who follow the rules, and has been able to get people to wear helmets and seatbelts without any sort of penalization. I have no problem with their intentions, but their implementation leaves a lot to be questioned. Nothing to get sad about, really :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warwithwheels (Post 2993896)
You must try out a Vodafone connection to know how pesky these guys can get. And nobody has the right to invade my personal space. Period.

It is the prerogative of the company to train its employees and not the clients.

Lastly, seems like you have missed out the larger point conveyed in the post. Peace!

I am a vodafone customer since 2005. They know that they should not call me even to remind about my bill. So I know how it is. Depends on how you interact. I was using them in Mumbai and kerala:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 2993937)
I'm sure there are other ways to do it. Better ways. In my previous company We used to have sessions on traffic rule awareness and proper driving - that's how I'd met a bunch of bhpians then. My current company provides Incentives to those who follow the rules, and has been able to get people to wear helmets and seatbelts without any sort of penalization. I have no problem with their intentions, but their implementation leaves a lot to be questioned. Nothing to get sad about, really :)

I am sure there are better ways, but Vodafone's implementation shall be irritating for the habitual offenders only. Why would a person following the rules be worried about being penalized?

I am driving for 18 years now and have been challaned a number of times. Not once they challaned me unfairly. Also I haven't seen people been penalized for over-speeding without a proof. Once I was fined 400/- bucks for driving at 58kmph where limit was 50 kmph, and I knew about the rule. The 18 years of driving includes driving in UP, Uttaranchal, Delhi and Haryana and these states are not known for honest cops.

The point I am trying to make is it is human tendency to break rules when no one is watching. I believe that we will see a lot less deaths on the roads if all the drivers start following rules.

We should thank Vodafone for initiating some thing good even if there service leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 2993937)
It says even senior staffers are monitored. Unless vodafone has senior staffers for whom driving is part of their job, I'm wondering what driving they're talking about.

It should mean even as a passenger in a car. That is another good initiative.:thumbs up. on a lighter note, they may have tried that already :D

This is wonderful. I hope every company follows these kind of initiatives. I remember that the company I used to work for enforced the helmet rul pretty clearly. One could not park the bike inside the parking lot if one was not wearing a helmet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourabhzen (Post 2993977)
The point I am trying to make is it is human tendency to break rules when no one is watching. I believe that we will see a lot less deaths on the roads if all the drivers start following rules.

agree:You are absolutely right. However, we cannot expect a change just by enforcing rules. What is more important, is the "MIND CHANGE". If the mind says NO, then even at midnight when there is no cop around, we will stop at a red signal.

I fully support these 'guidelines' in normal work environment (if one does any of the above). Also, I work in a company that does value employee safety (but for sure does not intrude into my private life - not without my permission).

Like may in the forum, for me, "This code will apply not only to employees during office work/hours, but also to their personal lives." is for sure a worrying trend.

While it is fine for an employer to be aware that an employee is not a felon, it has no business snooping on me if I get an electrician to replace a blown fuse (@home/car) or I do it myself.
While the example I gave is a tad absurd, but hey, where are the boundaries drawn?