Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 12:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant initiative by Vodafone on safety

Vodafone announced 7 safety rules to follow if the employees do not want to loose their jobs!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17658633.cms

I think it is brilliant initiatives and others must employ similar measures to curb accidents. I also wish such rules are employed by our Police departments too!
sourabhzen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Brilliant initiative by Vodafone on safety

A very commendable initiative. What I like is that this code will apply not only to Vodafone employees while on the clock, but also to their personal lives. That means the telecom major is serious about safety practices and ingraining the importance of best practices amongst its employees/partners/vendors in a more permanent sense.

I can also report first-hand that Reliance Industries has also long since enforced a pretty strict vehicular safety conformance policy on their sprawling campus in Ghansoli, Navi Mumbai. Campus security is authorized to write tickets for speed/safety violations. The fine is realized from that defaulting employee's paycheck directly.

After all, this is corporate social responsibility too.
Omtoatom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

With rules like these, I'm glad I don't work for vodafone! "electrical work to be carried out only by qualified individuals"? Even though I suppose this is more for their contractors, still No thanks! While a company has the right to choose what sort of people it hires, on the other hand, It's sad how companies have started dictating how people should live their personal lives. I'm glad my employer is much more employee friendly!

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th December 2012 at 12:40.
greenhorn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:38   #4
Zed
BHPian

Du Pont is another good example of an organization that enforces its safety code - cutting across process and functions - worldwide. Employees are given specific do and donts related to road safety. I recall a sales person from Du Pont asking me if our company car had seatbelts for rear passengers (we were being chaffered) before getting in. Since we did, there was no problem. In the event that we did not he was not supposed to get into the car under any circumstance. I recall him mentioning that employees having company provided cars had to clear an internal test even if they held valid DL's. Corporate houses ought to get serious about road safety in India and adopt a hands-on approach rather than rely on legislation to mitigate the problem. Its a worthy cause to support given the 150k lives that are needlessly lost every year.
Zed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
With rules like these, I'm glad I don't work for vodafone! "electrical work to be carried out only by qualified individuals"?

Completely agree. The qualified electrician in my apartment doesn't even know what should be the voltage difference between neutral and earth!.

Other points I can live with.

Regards,
Old 18th December 2012, 12:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Vodafone should first intensify the training regime of its call center executives before getting preachy!!

Most of those call center guys don't care if you are working or driving. They just call up and talk/play some non sense stuff on the fone which is of no relevance to you at all.

It could as well turn out to be a potential distraction while driving which could lead to accidents.

Why induce a disease and prescribe medicines while the disease can be controlled before onset?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 18th December 2012 at 12:53.
Warwithwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:52   #7
NMS
BHPian

Absolutely Brilliant !! Although this has come to limelight now, Vodafone has been following these rules for quite some time. And they are STRICT about this !! The conduct also requires that the employees are off the highways by 21:00 Hrs. And trust me the company also makes sure they reimburse the lodging charges in many such scenarios.

Last edited by NMS : 18th December 2012 at 12:53. Reason: Additional Info
NMS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 13:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Although the initiative by Vodafone is commendable which I am sure most other companies do follow and are a reaffirmation of the traffic safety rules, how does Vodafone intend to keep tabs on offenders outside the office premises? How is it going to track employees who dont follow the rules? If within the premises, the company can track the offenders through surveilance but anything outside would be intrusion of privacy.

Vodafone is not devising any rule of its own which is different from the ones laid out by the traffic authories. For that matter I can say the same rules are being enforced by my company too. One different rule which my company follows is all the employees regularly bringing the vehicles into office premises have to compulsarily attend the half yearly defensive driving classses + test. This is a mandatory obejctive in the Annual performance contract and somebody not attending/passing those tests are graded accordingly.
Old 18th December 2012, 13:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This is actually not "new" news. Looks to be more of a PR article. Apparently quite a few more US/European companies have such rules in place. For e.g. Castrol has a lot of similar practices in place, and cover most if not all of the points listed in the article - infact if I am not wrong, even their office cars and the 3rd party cabs strictly (need to) follow the rules.

But I would kind of agree with @greenhorn - I expect myself (& my colleagues) to be intelligent enough to follow the rules and adhere to our safety. Needless to say, a lot of which is not followed. But that is my call - I don't believe my company can be allowed to dictate me these rules, rather they can train me/remind me with such guidelines - I am fine with that.
Old 18th December 2012, 13:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With rules like these, I'm glad I don't work for vodafone! "electrical work to be carried out only by qualified individuals"? Even though I suppose this is more for their contractors, still No thanks! While a company has the right to choose what sort of people it hires, on the other hand, It's sad how companies have started dictating how people should live their personal lives. I'm glad my employer is much more employee friendly!
Except for the one you specifically mentioned here, no one should have any problem with the other six rules because they are all general traffic rules which you and me are supposed to follow.

I don't find anything wrong if Vodafone is trying to enforce these rules on it's employees, but I have absolutely no idea how they propose to monitor their employees outside the office hours or premises.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 13:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Commendable action, but invading the private lives is little too much.
I can understand enforcing these rules within the premises and on official work.

Instead please educate your employees on the importance of safety rather be a dictator and enforce it.
Old 18th December 2012, 13:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Except for the one you specifically mentioned here, no one should have any problem with the other six rules because they are all general traffic rules which you and me are supposed to follow.

I don't find anything wrong if Vodafone is trying to enforce these rules on it's employees, but I have absolutely no idea how they propose to monitor their employees outside the office hours or premises.
Even though I keep to speed limits, You cannot manage 100% compliance in india - You'll have non existent boards, two boards saying different speed limits at the same place... While I am not justifying speeding or breaking speed limits, the way Traffic rules are implemented and enforced in india leaves a lot to be desired, and even vodafone seems to agree, and apparently that's the reason they are planning to take it upon themselves to enforce it.

But would you want to lose your job because some corrupt cop decided to fine you for speeding when you weren't ?
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 14:08   #13
BHPian

This looks to be a case to hog some publicity for free and a thread on this forum is actually a proof for same. I think this is one of the most idiotic policies I have seen to be enforced by a company and will not see any implementation apart from random 2-3 cases which will be booked to showcase.

Vodafone is also one of those companies who adopt ethical or no ethical ways to get the business. I have vodafone connection and do know how do they charge customers for unsubscribed services and then the pathetic customer care. I belive they should first set an example in moral business practices on their own and then turn to employees to invade their persnal lives.
Old 18th December 2012, 14:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I think vodafone means this in the work place and not at your sweet home?
It didn't say that the person hired as an electrician is not qualified to do that work. Right? It just says the smart joes not make creative extension cords powering multiple sockets from a 5 amp plug as the source and sort of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Completely agree. The qualified electrician in my apartment doesn't even know what should be the voltage difference between neutral and earth!.

Other points I can live with.

Regards,
Isn't it strange to have him as your flat's electrician?. Why don't you change him? You may have kids and elderly around in other apartments. It can cost some one his life.no? Also will you be happy to fly when you have a BEST bus driver as a pilot? Now that is exaggeration, I agree. But you get my drift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Vodafone should first intensify the training regime of its call center executives before getting preachy!!

Most of those call center guys don't care if you are working or driving. They just call up and talk/play some non sense stuff on the fone which is of no relevance to you at all.

It could as well turn out to be a potential distraction while driving which could lead to accidents.

Why induce a disease and prescribe medicines while the disease can be controlled before onset?
Just a question, can't you tell them that as you are more educated and well mannered? Just ignore the call or move to the kerb. no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Although the initiative by Vodafone is commendable which I am sure most other companies do follow and are a reaffirmation of the traffic safety rules, how does Vodafone intend to keep tabs on offenders outside the office premises? How is it going to track employees who dont follow the rules? If within the premises, the company can track the offenders through surveilance but anything outside would be intrusion of privacy.

Vodafone is not devising any rule of its own which is different from the ones laid out by the traffic authories. For that matter I can say the same rules are being enforced by my company too. One different rule which my company follows is all the employees regularly bringing the vehicles into office premises have to compulsarily attend the half yearly defensive driving classses + test. This is a mandatory obejctive in the Annual performance contract and somebody not attending/passing those tests are graded accordingly.
I work in a company where we have strict rules for safety. And believe me it is good. No. I don't work for vodafone. I think it will apply when you are on official work. For me not having the seat belt is a punishable offence. I agree with that. And my company takes care of me if I take care of myself. It is mutual. Hell they are ready to medivac me/immediate family from anywhere in the world to the destination I choose or the best one for the problem.

Quote:
Even though I keep to speed limits, You cannot manage 100% compliance in india - You'll have non existent boards, two boards saying different speed limits at the same place... While I am not justifying speeding or breaking speed limits, the way Traffic rules are implemented and enforced in india leaves a lot to be desired, and even vodafone seems to agree, and apparently that's the reason they are planning to take it upon themselves to enforce it.

But would you want to lose your job because some corrupt cop decided to fine you for speeding when you weren't ?
Green horn I don't think they meant that. It is mostly when people are in official work. Then your safety is company responsibility. But the issues you mentioned are really true. It has to do with more of our corrupt politicians are law enforcement.

Again I don't work for vodafone. But I believe it is an excellent initiative for a country where human lives are considered worthless. I wont be signing a document for any sort of subcontractor work for a company with a bad/nil HSE (health and Safety) record/policy. We should promote safety at work.
Please have a look at what our company follows as life saving rules. Tell me one of those that does not help you. Also read the first line "Breaking the rules knowingly". Being an MNC, I think it will be same for Vodafone.
Note: Regarding the personal life clause by economic times, I don't believe it until somebody working for vodafone clarifies. I know TOI for long enough to judge that.
Regards
Brilliant initiative by Vodafone on safety-arules-poster_eng.jpg

Last edited by 999 : 18th December 2012 at 14:31. Reason: add a line
999 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 16:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks 999 for your post.

I was saddened by the negative responses on T-BHP to such a initiative. I mean, Vodafone is not asking something that is unethical or illogical or even illegal. they just want their employees to follow safety rules and these rule are applicable to all of us too. When we see a jerk driving insanely on roads, we wish there was somebody to control him. And now, we can not accept it if someone is trying to help the administration on safety rules.

It seems it is extremely difficult for us to follow rules, even if they are for our own safety. We are happy that we do not work for Vodafone because they want their employees to be safe. We hate policing because they do not want us to hurt anybody else by our disregard towards safety.

I do not understand how is Vodafone's service as mobile operator is linked towards its concern for the employees safety. I think we need to grow up and be bit more mature to understand the value of safety in our lives. A death caused due to negligence is a total loss for the victims family and any amount of repentance later will be of no use to them.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 18th December 2012 at 16:25.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed