Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2021, 15:09   #331

Re: Ford Aspire on Ghat Roads.

I think a humble Alto can handle that weight (may be not volume), given you shift correctly.
Old 31st January 2021, 16:23   #332
Senior - BHPian

This link has all the tips and answers to queries for ghat driving on any car. Post your queries there please.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ays-ghats.html (Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats)

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2021 at 04:54. Reason: Typo
Old 18th February 2021, 20:23   #333
BHPian

Re: Safe Driving on Indian Highways & Ghats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

..... NEVER, ever coast in neutral gear or with the clutch depressed.
Could someone please explain the rationale behind avoiding coasting and riding the clutch. Why stay in gear and keep rpms high when you don't want to speed up?

Several times, I let off the A pedal and coast in neutral while approaching an area where I don't want to be fast.

Last edited by viXit : 18th February 2021 at 20:25.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 05:50   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Could someone please explain the rationale behind avoiding coasting and riding the clutch. Why stay in gear and keep rpms high when you don't want to speed up?

Several times, I let off the A pedal and coast in neutral while approaching an area where I don't want to be fast.
To save a long explanation of the multiple reasons why it is a bad idea - let me just paste this link

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakd...-why-is-it-bad
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 19:16   #335

On Emergency Trunk Release levers: I came across this interesting article that describes how Janette Fennell endeavored - with some support from an US congressman - to mandate the inclusion of Emergency Trunk Release levers in cars in the USA (post 2002 models). When will we have an empathetic approach to customer service in India and when will we have such lawmakers?

https://thehustle.co/how-one-woman-c...-car-industry/
Grand Vitesse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:52   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
As a young driver, my advice is never to coast in Neutral. It is simply too risky and you won't save much fuel. You will have lesser stopping power (no engine braking) in case of any emergency and it is easier to lose control on slippery surfaces (water, sand etc) as the wheels are spinning freely and not regulated by engine torque. It doesn't save any significant amount of fuel too. Also, you never know the grade of a particular road - it might seem flat, but even a 2 or 3 degree decline can build up speed, especially in heavy cars.

If you want to stay on the same speed, maintain feather light throttle input or use cruise control (if you have it)
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:57   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaniamluap View Post
Chennai - Bangalore - Mysore - Bandipur - Ooty - kotagiri - connor - Yercaud - Chennai

I have a couple of queries on my cars capabilities.

1. We are 4 adults, 1 kid, and 2 toddlers, totalling around 375 kg (with luggage). Will the car face difficulties climbing the ghat roads with this setup?

2. The payload of the car seems to be around 450 kg. I would like to know if i need to reduce weight of luggage and other stuffs to climb.

3. How much power will i be losing if i am using the AC while climbing the mountains.
The route you are planning - Mysore - Bandipur - Gudalur - Ooty - Kotagiri doesn't have steep inclines and so as long as you are in the right gear, will not be an issue.

1. It may be difficult to reduce the luggage weight considering the fact that you have 4 adults and 3 children.
2. See above.
3. Don't use Airconditioning in the car when you climb mountains in your car. You don't need AC in Nilgiris weather once you cross the plains. Lower the glass, turn off the compressor and keep running the fan for some time. For larger powerful Cars, this step is not really necessary. Even then people rarely use AC in Nilgiris.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:43   #338
BHPian

I follow some simple rules while driving in hilly areas:

1. Drive a bit slower than you think is safe. Speed is enemy #1..

2. Don't be in a hurry to move up the gears

3. lower gears as you approach curves, or on declines

4. Maximum use of engine braking downhill - brakes only if further assistance is required

5. Give way to vehicles going uphill

6. Honk on blind curves, hairpins

7. Try to anticipate the curve trajectory of big vehicles on hairpins and give generous room. Wait well before the curve if you see trucks, buses etc negotiating the turn

8. Don't just randomly pull over when you hit a scenic spot - make sure you have sufficient shoulder ( many scenic spots in mountain stretches have generous shoulder areas built for the purpose

9. If possible drive with AC off , windows down. It does two things a) help you enjoy the clean hilly air ( most of the times) b) Help you hear other vehicles better on the other side of curves etc.

10. For four-lane + roads some of the above are redundant - I just try to stick to one lane as much as possible.

11. Last but not the least, don't have aggressive targets to reach places on hilly stretches. Distances may be very deceptive. There is no shame in taking an hour to cover something like 20km..
Bigzero is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 23:14   #339
BHPian

I encountered oncoming traffic on a one-way ghat section in Kasara ghat on Mumbai - Nashik highway.

What was strange was there were warning signs to caution about wrong way driving.

Also there was no fixed 'rule' from which side these wrong side drivers may come at you.

It could be from left or from right side of the road. From helmetless bikers to 4-wheelers, everyone seemed to have the right to break the rule here.

I have documented it in the below link to caution the first-timers taking this route.

TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 14:12   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I encountered oncoming traffic on a one-way ghat section in Kasara ghat on Mumbai - Nashik highway.

What was strange was there were warning signs to caution about wrong way driving.

Also there was no fixed 'rule' from which side these wrong side drivers may come at you.

It could be from left or from right side of the road. From helmetless bikers to 4-wheelers, everyone seemed to have the right to break the rule here.

I have documented it in the below link to caution the first-timers taking this route.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=6ZggrS1ouXo&t=6s

I think it is allowed for vehicles coming from Vihigaon and Karegaon side is allowed to ply on the wrong side of the road for that particular section. Else the villagers will have to cross the entire mountain and come back.
dpat17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 19:30   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpat17 View Post
I think it is allowed for vehicles coming from Vihigaon and Karegaon side is allowed to ply on the wrong side of the road for that particular section. Else the villagers will have to cross the entire mountain and come back.

This doesn't make sense. If it's allowed for them, it should be allowed for everyone. You don't see this happening on the Khambatki ghat on NH4. This is very dangerous and might result in a fatal accident for two-wheelers.
ronford is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:25   #342
BHPian

Guys I need some suggestions from you on my driving uphill in ghats. This is a bit embarrassing for me, but I would never improve if I don't ask for help The issue is I struggle to build up speed going uphill the ghat sections. Even Altos, Ace pick up truck manage to overtake me uphill while I am doing 30 -40 kmph max in my Creta. I upshift at 1500rpm and stay in 3rd gear, 2nd gear depending on the steepness of road. How do I build and maintain speeds in ghats ? Is this issue with my car or with my driving ? Car runs smoothly on plain roads though.
Old 26th September 2021, 21:02   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I upshift at 1500rpm and stay in 3rd gear, 2nd gear depending on the steepness of road.

1. How do I build and maintain speeds in ghats ?
2. Is this issue with my car or with my driving ?
First of all are you driving a diesel/petrol and is it an automatic/manual ?
I am assuming a petrol manual ?

1. You need to build and keep revs. For reference doing 3500-4000rpm is pretty common on ghat roads/inclines in petrols to maintain a decent speed and have 2000rpm in reserve if needed.
Even if on a diesel then 1500rpm for upshifts is too low.

2. You have to learn and be comfortable in using the rev range that's it.
Let's say if you are going uphill in 3rd at 1500rpm just downshift to 2nd and assuming it takes you to 2500rpm just stay there and modulate the accelerator to manage your speed and once you start crossing 4000rpm and the road levels out, shift to third. 1500rpm is for cruising on highways not climbing the ghats.

If you're using an automatic shift to sports mode.
Aways better to ask for directions if confused, hope this helps

Last edited by shancz : 26th September 2021 at 21:03. Reason: ftl
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 21:08   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
First of all are you driving a diesel/petrol and is it an automatic/manual ?
I am assuming a petrol manual ?

1. You need to build and keep revs. For reference doing 3500-4000rpm is pretty common on ghat roads/inclines in petrols to maintain a decent speed and have 2000rpm in reserve if needed.
Even if on a diesel then 1500rpm for upshifts is too low.
Yes I drive a NA petrol manual car. And yes I keep revs at 1500-2000 rpm I will keep this in mind to keep revs at 3000 rpm next time I'm driving uphill. Thank you for help. One thing I've learnt is I don't stall my car anymore going up slopes and neither does my car rolls back while starting uphill. Just need to focus on driving well now.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 21:16   #345
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Yes I drive a NA petrol manual car. And yes I keep revs at 1500-2000 rpm I will keep this in mind to keep revs at 3000 rpm next time I'm driving uphill. Thank you for help. One thing I've learnt is I don't stall my car anymore going up slopes and neither does my car rolls back while starting uphill. Just need to focus on driving well now.
Another important point is to downshift before the corners. If you downshift after or during corners, car may slow down and sometimes it results in 2 downshifts instead of one.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks