Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 21:05   #166
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Apologies Everyone... I made you wait for quite some time. Today, I have an update for all of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Are we seriously expecting the cops to take any action? I strongly feel they wont. They will focus more on other more important cases like thefts, murders and what not but wont bother about this guy unless his reckless driving kills some unfortunate soul and then you will get a statement from them in the newspapers saying "he has been involved in rash driving in the past as well and we are looking out for him. We will nab him soon". Why the hell cant they take an action in the first instance itself is something beyond comprehension for me
Action or not, he was pulled to the station today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am not expecting any action.
I still can't be sure of that. But I can just tell that he'll be ripped off (probably - in terms of finance) due to the evidences we had.

Quote:
My point is that there is not much merit in involving the cops as it is just going to add to your headache and frustration.

Edit: But then may be who knows, if this guy might back off and understands that some people will take the trouble and report such actions to the cops. Ideally he should be arrested under charges of assault.
Well, the long weekend adding to the frustration regarding the situation at hand and with half mind over the festival and half on this incident, the long weekend was definitely not worth enjoying. That's something I assure you and it was definitely a headache for me personally.

Coming back to the story, the cops on Thursday had told us to wait for their call so that they get to catch this idiot. They had assured that they'll try their best to get him by evening the same day. We waited for the call, but nothing came!

Thursday boom, Friday - Definitely a "Hell No" since it was a bandh. We knew they wouldn't come back on Friday. Saturday, we were expecting a call, but nothing came. Another day wasted.

Come Sunday, Gowri Festival.., and the cops call me during the afternoon They asked me if I could come to the police station at HSR. I wasn't willing to and neither was my friend. I requested the cops to hold that thought for two more days so that it can happen today. Going out of the house on a festival day - the ladies (Our moms) would question us to death. Period.

Since we knew we'd be going to the Police Station today, the festival did not give a good feeling, but somehow, it passed. Things were good and yesterday was over and done with.

Today, we decided to go a little later than what we were told - expecting the other guy to wait today. But, our bad luck, the other guy wasn't there.., neither was the cop responsible to get him in. We were there by 10:45AM and had to wait till 11:50 for the cop to turn up. No news on the culprit yet. Just like a broken gramophone, we repeated the whole story to him. He gave us a shock that the cops who went in first were the only ones to have made a contact with the culprit. The others who followed had to deal with a local Ex-Corporator who happens to be the culprit's neighbor-cum-negotiator.., and all these deals and negotiations were on phone and nobody's had face-to-face with the guy.

After we requested the cop yet again to get things moving faster, he called up the Ex-Corporator yet again and checked if the culprit would be turning up. He was supposedly on his way from a place called "Doddanekkundi" which is around 7-8 odd kilometers (if I'm not wrong) from the police station. My Friend's Dad (hereby referred to as "Uncle")was getting frustrated by the wait and wanted to have a coffee/tea immediately and we walked outside. The cop also came along till the gate. While Uncle went to have a bite and beverage, we stood outside having a conversation with the cop to pass the time.

We were still outside chatting and it had crossed 1PM. I saw the silver Xcent KA 51 MF 7389 - the culprit's ride passing right in front of the station and taking a right-turn. I immediately informed the cop of this and we were thinking that he'd come to the station any moment. We called Uncle to be there that moment and he obliged. But the idiot did not turn up for another 25 minutes! Uncle was really getting frustrated (He's an advocate himself and has very good political connections - if necessary. We made no use of it of course). He demanded the cops to either call the culprit right away or he will report this to the higher authorities. Just then, the Inspector came in to his office. The cop who was dealing with us turned up just a minute later and surprise-surprise! The idiot was right behind him!

Now, this idiot had taken enough pain to visit some doctor to get all fake certificates claiming that my friend hit him first and he's got a broken wrist and is internally injured and is under medication since the day of the incident... He also had a fake bandage on his right hand We were called inside and the Inspector.., who had apparently watched the video the other day was sure enough of all his drama and asked us to replay the video. We obliged. The idiot changed the story now saying that we haven't recorded the part where we hit him, but only the part where he hit us.

The Inspector was aware that he was lying and was shouting at the guy.., while my friend humbly interrupted and said "Sir, if I may.., we have the video prior to the incident also". The idiot was shocked to know this... No surprise for us. The inspector hadn't watched this the other day - we had handed over only one - good thing - saved us today. We played the previous part showing his stupid driving (s)kills and the way the incident started off - with audio (though it was embarrassing). The inspector was more than convinced of who the culprit was and scared the crap out of that guy. Apparently, this idiot happens to be some construction contractor and has absolutely no political support whatsoever. But he's got loads of money as per the analysis the cops have done over the days.

We believe that the negotiating cop here was trying to tip this guy off and was trying to protect him till the last moment - until we unleashed the video footage of the entire event - our strongest weapon.

Now, the idiot has got two choices - Apologize to us on paper and make up for the property damage we have suffered. OR He can remain silent while Uncle shall go ahead and press an FIR.

The cops are now on the negotiating mode. We haven't heard from them yet and the complaint is still open. So, I won't be bothered any longer and Uncle shall handle it going forward.

I shall keep you guys updated on what happens during the next few days. But the idiot was finally scared to the core and confined himself to a chair at one end of the police station. For sure, he saw the world crashing down on him due to the DashCam recording.., which he neither knew of, nor expected... It had the voice recording of his abuse shouts, his aggression in terms of beating my car's ORVM while both the vehicles were on the move along with his "BIGGEST MISTAKE" - hitting my friend.

Again, Punishment or not, that guy surely would think twice before raising his hands on any other person on road. That's for sure.

And me? I'll strictly follow the rule of Garbage Trucks and shall try my best not to get into any conflicts in future. I reiterate : I need to reach home in one piece. Mom's waiting for me and she's got nobody but me...

A word of caution to everyone... If you come across a construction contractor by name "Anand Reddy" in Bangalore, please make sure you get back to this post, check the pictures I've posted earlier and make sure you're not dealing with this same idiot. He might turn hostile against others too for no good reason... Who knows?!?
vnidta is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 21:46   #167
Senior - BHPian

That's good news Vinod! God, I should have been there to see that guys face when you told him about the video

Best of luck, hope the fella gets what he deserves and never ever does this again to anyone ever in his life.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 23:18   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Again I do not know if to treat this as a Victory or defeat. You have wasted precious time from work. And on top of it you have recorded him on the dash cam which is a full proof evidence ( others may not be so lucky to be able to record everything on the cam as the assault may happen beyond its capture area). Moreover you have the psychological support of a well established lawyer who is also a family member. And even after all this, the cops are taking ages.

In fact another question stems out from this incident. Aren't the cops obliged to charge the Doctor who has issued a fake medical certificate? And if the culprit has himself forged it then it is again an offence of planting false evidence.

I know it is not worth your time and effort, but I sincerely hope you either make him apologize till every gene in his body feels ashamed of himself and his ego takes a self check or go ahead with a formal FIR.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 23:22   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
That's good news Vinod! God, I should have been there to see that guys face when you told him about the video
His face had all sorts of expressions. It started out with frustration and he changed it to a dignified look when he tried to produce those fake medical certificates. Once we played the video, his face had the horrified look. He changed it to showcase sarcasm when he tried to claim that we also had hit him. It turned towards sadness once we showed that we had the previous footage as well... So, this guy was a brilliant actor He should have been in the film industry.., not the construction business.

Quote:
Best of luck, hope the fella gets what he deserves and never ever does this again to anyone ever in his life.
Thanks Anil! We are hoping that he's learned his lesson by now After all, in reality, we have no intention to harm him. But, if let such guys scoot around, they'll never stop! What choice do we have?

Apart from this, I have a question to everyone here. What action should one be taking on that Doctor whoever gave him those fake medical certificates? Should he/she not be tried for committing a felony?

Quote:
In fact another question stems out from this incident. Aren't the cops obliged to charge the Doctor who has issued a fake medical certificate?
PS: Sorry, just saw this post. Even I have the same question. So, edited the post to append the quote.

Last edited by vnidta : 6th September 2016 at 23:26.
vnidta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 10:57   #170
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
Action or not, he was pulled to the station today.
Excellent!!! Really happy to see that the cops did take some action. Salutes to them. While this can be debated that the other culprit might or might not act again like this in future but for sure he will have this incident on the back of his mind before acting foolish. He probably might still verbally abuse but I doubt he will go physical, given that he has a good lesson in what people can do (with support from cops ofcourse). Hats of to your persevearance as well
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 15:00   #171
BHPian

Vinod, hats off to you. And for those who are advising that is better to ignore these morons. You just are choosing the easier option and helping in evolution of the society from bad to worse. I myself was at the recieving end of road rage twice. Once for questioning 2 morons who suddenly jumped over the median on the outer ring road. And once for no fault of mine. If you feel it is a waste of time then please correct yourself. There will be a time when you will be at the recieving end of such road rage for no mistake of yours. Because of people like Vinod,Mr Reddy moron will think thrice before lifting his hand on someone.
That someone could be you.
sunilg33 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 15:56   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I think this is more about cases which got reported. I feel Blore and Pune have a lot more road rage which in many cases doesnt even make to the police station unless its really very serious. Just my thought, I could be wrong though
I agree.

Having lived in Mumbai for 30 years & now in Cochin for the last 3, I can confirm that this is a much better & calmer city to enjoy driving in.
Old 11th September 2016, 22:03   #173
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vnidta,

Hats off! This is indeed the right approach because there was no act from your side which would come against you and you'd reported the incident to the police so that law take its own course.

Nitin
Old 16th September 2016, 12:20   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Again I do not know if to treat this as a Victory or defeat. You have wasted precious time from work. And on top of it you have recorded him on the dash cam which is a full proof evidence ( others may not be so lucky to be able to record everything on the cam as the assault may happen beyond its capture area). Moreover you have the psychological support of a well established lawyer who is also a family member. And even after all this, the cops are taking ages.
I vote for Victory.

Maybe stopping on the side of the road to engage with an aggressor is not advisable, but having fool proof evidence against an offender, and then taking that evidence to the authorities to bring the aggressor back in line with the law of the land, definitely deserves a kudos.

As long as we're not falling victim to road rage ourselves in situations like these (much easier typed than done ), I think every person like Vinod who goes out of their way to try and makes one small incremental improvement to our system is worthy of applause.
PuntoMania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 16:51   #175
BHPian

Vinod, brilliant stuff. Real applause for taking that guy by the collar.

However, if you do decide to go the FIR route, you can charge the doctor of felony and false certification (btw, it should automatically cancel his practitioner license). With an apology letter and verbal apology, I am not sure how the doctor can be tackled.
Old 17th September 2016, 14:01   #176
BHPian

Thanks Everyone for your kind words.

After two weeks of the incident, it was decided to land up with a compromise. Since it was my friend who suffered more than me, it was completely on him and his father to take a decision on this matter. Out of the two choices - FIR or a compromise, his father chose the compromise part and took the case back. The other guy felt humiliated after having seen the evidences and was ashamed of what he did. He took close to three days of time and voluntarily came up with an apology letter and had requested my friend's dad not to pursue this matter any further. So, even we decided to drop this matter and not take any severe actions. The other person's father in law also got involved in the negotiations and he seem to have shared some good set of words of wisdom. When the compromise happened, I wasn't able to be there. From what my friend described, the other party's tone was different from what we had seen and he also doesn't want trouble (after all, he also has a life - which we need to understand).

So, it has ended well for both of us. No further conflicts on the matter.

But one thing - I came to know from a friend who observed this guy's driving style just recently. He told me that this guy has become sedate and there's a lot of visible difference. That itself is a good news!

Guys, please do have trust in the system. Though most of it doesn't seem right, there are possibilities of a good outcome as well. There's always light at the end of the tunnel. So, let's all follow the Rule of Garbage Truck religiously. If things go out of hand, let's take help from the system.

With this, I would like to close this matter. All's well that ends well
vnidta is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 14:56   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Everyone for your kind words.

But one thing - I came to know from a friend who observed this guy's driving style just recently. He told me that this guy has become sedate and there's a lot of visible difference. That itself is a good news!

Guys, please do have trust in the system. Though most of it doesn't seem right, there are possibilities of a good outcome as well. There's always light at the end of the tunnel. So, let's all follow the Rule of Garbage Truck religiously. If things go out of hand, let's take help from the system.

With this, I would like to close this matter. All's well that ends well
Parts marked in bold sums up the best things coming out of this saga. Thank you for the update
Viv3k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 09:43   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I came to know from a friend who observed this guy's driving style just recently. He told me that this guy has become sedate and there's a lot of visible difference. That itself is a good news!
I was that friend who observed the subject's driving style. And as luck would have it, I saw him at the very same place where vnidta had the first tiff. The vehicle number and the driver's face was still fresh from the video, hence I could note his antics in my ORVM. Though he still doesn't know about indicators, he was in no way trying to squeeze his way in nor was he trigger-happy with the horn. He was a lot calmer and was seen yielding to other traffic. The mobile phone was still seen glued to his ear though - but every cabbie has it that way. On the whole, he appeared to be a changed man

Quote:
please do have trust in the system. Though most of it doesn't seem right, there are possibilities of a good outcome as well. There's always light at the end of the tunnel.
+1

Last edited by silversteed : 19th September 2016 at 09:45.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 15:18   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The mobile phone was still seen glued to his ear though - but every cabbie has it that way. On the whole, he appeared to be a changed man

+1
No wonder mobile phones are slowly taking the number one spot for detractors that cause accidents.

Had a road rage incident myself last Friday. My wife and I were returning home in the evening when I heard someone throwing abuses at me. I slowed down and saw two rogues on Apache hurling vulgarities at me for not allowing me to overtake. It had been a long day and my initial thought was to slot down and raise (after all, the Pulsar 200NS does a lot of things correctly against an apache) but just shrugged and got out of the college boy behaviour and moved ahead.

Until next junction, they kept following me and were trying to provide their gyan on how to ride. At the junction, I stopped near the cops, asked my wife to get down and informed them about our heroes (they had also stopped).

The cops just told them to shut up and requested us to leave making them wait there. I am not certain what happened next.
Viv3k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 14:50   #180
BHPian

Notorious tempo travellers have achieved a new low in Bangalore, one such driver bit off the ear of another driver and swallowed it

Here is the story -

Intense road rage saw one driver turn into the infamous former world boxing champion Mike Tyson to replay the ugly incident in which the fearsome boxer bit off a part of the left ear of his opponent Evander Holyfield in June 1997. Only, the victim in this case turned out more like the late 19th century painter Vincent Van Gogh with his entire left ear lobe detached. Worse, the accused, in this case, not just bit off the victim’s ear, but in a shocking cannibalistic streak, chewed and swallowed it too!

This bizarre incident occurred when two drivers belonging to the same company clashed while speeding towards the city from Electronic City after descending from the elevated road on Hosur Road at around 8.45 pm last Friday. Both of them were ferrying their respective set of employees of a BPO firm located in Electronic City Phase II. The employees were returning home.

Both the drivers were driving tempo travellers (TTs). The victim – minus his left ear lobe – is 29-year-old M Girish, a resident of Bagalagunte near Peenya. The cannibalistic accused is Venkatesh, 26, said to be an outsourced driver for the last 45 days; who is now absconding.

Venkatesh was allegedly driving his TT in a negligent manner, swaying from left to right and back while trying to prevent Girish from overtaking him on the elevated road.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/54724874.cms

Last edited by Acharya : 7th October 2016 at 15:11.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks