Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2018, 16:54   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Been travelling more in the past few months, unfortunately no one really cares about hatchback, as if it wouldn't hurt if a hatchback hits them(bikers). Would love to own something like this, just to conserve my inner peace add trucks, private company staff buses(worst drivers in the universe I say) and you have recipe for high BP at an relatively young age
What you posted won't be enough. At least the one below is needed. Until someone gets the same ideas. And the money to buy it.

Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-396108_tank_t95_vystrel_1920x1080_www.gdefon.ru_750x421.jpg

Image source
Old 4th July 2018, 19:36   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
How did your boards go? Well I liked your typical "Hydrabadi Hindi" and was laughing till I could take it no more . The auto guy's face was worth seeing.
Well, my boards went really well and scored well too. Indeed, after that incident, me and my besties had a hearted laugh for a pretty long time especially after seeing that expression of the autowaala. If I have to say it in Hindi, "Bande ka akkad hi nikal gaya "

Varun
Old 6th July 2018, 11:57   #273
BHPian

Would like to share an incident which happened on last Tuesday, I was on my way to office around 0830 AM, KR puram was the usual brimming self, I was driving from Marathahalli towards Hebbal direction.
In order to avoid the pile up before KR puram railway station, I took an internal road wanting to join OOR just after railway station pedestrian crossing, via one of the side lane.

People who travel on this route might know, it's always a struggle to find your place in this patch of ORR. My attempt to join the main road was being blocked by the usual culprit, a BMTC bus, which was trying to occupy the space in front of me (in normal parlance, Bus had the right of way as it was on the main road) and I was joining from side road.
As things have it, if you follow the right of way concept, you would be standing at the same spot till noon.

I had my full focus on the bus while turning and entering ORR and Bang!
I heard a sound from the direction where I least expected it, my front left corner of the car had hit an almost stationary two wheeler, who probably had stopped moving and I completely missed him stopping, as I was looking to my right, focusing on BMTC bus. Thankfully, speed was less than 10 kmph.

I knew right away that it was my mistake, I got down from my XUV and helped the Activa guy lift his vehicle which hit the ground due to my hit.
I immediate told the guy "brother, it's completely my fault, I was fixated on Bus and failed to look in your direction".
He looked at me but did not say anything, while we both got his Activa back on two wheels. I again asked him " I am really sorry, I will bear all the damages, lets not block the road and park on the side".

He looked at his Activa, checked on the side which had touched ground and said "you've said sorry, not much damage done, since you've owned up the mistake lets move on"

I could not believe what I heard, as I was not expecting this.
He could have easily asked for some damages and I would have owned it without any protest but he chose to act a Gentleman and let it go.

Perhaps, my first reaction of owning up the mistake and apologizing it upfront brought up the goodness in him.
He quickly started his Activa and moved on, leaving me bit bewildered and thankful to him.

Last edited by Acharya : 6th July 2018 at 12:01.
Acharya is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 16:23   #274
BHPian

Another incident comes to my mind. This didn't happen on the road but inside the office complex while i was parking my car.

My office is situated on Bannerghatta road and there is a radio station in the same building. A couple of feet after my usual parking spot, there is a plastic speed breaker which doesn't cover the entire width of the passage.

One early morning, i parked my car at my designated spot, looked in the rear view mirror and proceeded to remove my sun glasses, engage hand brake and disconnect phone from the Aux cable. When i opened the door, Bam, someone crahed in to the driver side door.

I immediately got out to find a young man of around 20 years sprawled on the ground. The building security also came running to help him. I help lift him and made him sit on the side. Asked him if he is all right, got him some water from my car. He was shocked for few minutes.

I asked him what was he doing so close to my car when he had the entire passage free. Apparently he was trying to avoid the plastic speed breaker by squeezing on the left. He also mentioned that he had an accident few months back and had a steel rod inserted in his leg which now again got it and he was in pain.

I offered him to take to hospital and get x-ray done to ensure there was no fracture or damage to his leg. But he refused saying its not a sever pain and he should be fine. Still, i insisted him to visit hospital but he refused. I gave him my card and advised him to go to hospital and call me if there is anything. He said that wouldn't be required but still accepted my card.

I reached my office and in 10 mins i get a call from this guy asking me to come down. I went down to the parking only to find this guy with a girl waiting for me. This Girl started screaming as soon as she saw and accused me of hit and run! I got to know that she is a RJ in the radio station and this guy was her younger brother who had come to drop her to office. The girl was so worked up and kept screaming on my saying i had hit her brother and let me fend for himself and damaged her scooter.

I told her that if i was running away i wouldn't have given my card. The building security know where i work, there are CCTV camera in the parking lot so i couldn't have been missed. I tried to reason her that if i am at mistake of not checking 2nd time in the mirror before opening my door, your brother too is equally guilty of coming close to the car when didn't have any valid reason to do so.

With his sister by his side, this guy was all acting smart rather started to talk like a goon! started to threaten me get his scooter repaired else.....

I told him to get my car door fixed and i shall get his scooter fixed but both brother sister duo insisted that i was at mistake and only i should pay. when i didn't budge, this dude calls his friends on the phone and tells them that there is some "Kirk" and they should come fast. i again told them that don't expect me pay.

They asked me to come to police station and i was all too happy to go coz the rowdy behavior of the guy was becoming unbearable. I called a colleague of mine to send my key and wallet from office but 2 - 3 of my colleagues came down. Just then few colleagues of the RJ lady whom i knew had come down for their morning coffee and saw this commotion. Just by looking at what had happened they asked RJ's brothers: What were you doing on the left side, you had entire right side of the passage clear for you?

The RJ's face turned Red seeing her colleagues not supporting her. I again told in front of everyone that you fix my car, i fix your bike and that's the deal take it or leave it. RJ's colleagues asked her if she has insurance for the bike and when she said yes they simply asked her: just use that why make so much hungama. I told them that if there is some amount which is not covered in insurance i will pay that amount, provided they should also do the same for getting my car door fixed.

Needless to say there was nothing much left for the brother sister duo to argue about and i got back to my office.

After a few day the RJ lady called on my mobile and informed me about that i need to pay her some 800 or 1500 as it wasn't paid by insurance. I told her to get me the bills and i shall pay and also informed her that for my car's repair around 4K estimate is given by workshop and insurance will not cover entire amount, balance she has to pay. After that never got any call back from her.
btw, the name of the RJ when translated to english means Affableness or geniality

Last edited by ajmat : 6th July 2018 at 17:07. Reason: Please start sentences with capitals
ant_vas is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 20:08   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Another incident comes to my mind. This didn't happen on the road but inside the office complex while i was parking my car.

My office is situated on Bannerghatta road and there is a radio station in the same building. A couple of feet after my usual parking spot, there is a plastic speed breaker which doesn't cover the entire width of the passage.
This is the same building as Sagar Automobiles on BG Road, isn't it?

These kind of incidents are a dime a dozen and more often than not, fizzle out when the other side realise that they are as much if not more at fault for the incident in the trust place- which is pretty much how it ended in this case.
Old 6th July 2018, 20:29   #276
BHPian

Quote:
This is the same building as Sagar Automobiles on BG Road, isn't it?

No there is another Radio station on this road. Not reveling the name to ensure the identity of the people involved is not revealed by me
Old 6th July 2018, 20:48   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
No there is another Radio station on this road. Not reveling the name to ensure the identity of the people involved is not revealed by me
Just a word of caution. Please do ask the security guard to keep an eye on your car for a few days. These guys can try to do damage if they want to. Or if there are CCTV cameras covering your parking area, even better.
hrman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 18:12   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Just a word of caution. Please do ask the security guard to keep an eye on your car for a few days. These guys can try to do damage if they want to. Or if there are CCTV cameras covering your parking area, even better.

This incident was few years back and i have already changed 2 cars from that time
Old 23rd July 2018, 19:47   #279
BHPian

I was riding my bike in the left lane. A speeding car on the right didn't have space to overtake, so the driver swerved left and bumped into the right side of my motorcycle. The motorcycle slid and slipped a little and I realised that the car was way too close. I slowed down a little expecting an apology but the driver sped away and got stuck in a jam 100 metres north.

On asking him about the stunt he tried to pull off, he just told me to drive with my both eyes open, the generic reply. Too bad, he looked educated and well dressed enough to have the heart to say sorry for attempting to kill a motorcyclist. Meanwhile, his girlfriend started screaming at me and hurled a dozen abuses at me. I don't react very well to people shouting at me, or abusing me, especially just after I have avoided a crash due to their negligence. The car was from Himachal Pradesh.

Although this forum has a substantial content that correctly points to not losing your crap on the road but the circumstances on this day were my breaking point. The driver and the lady in the car hadn't heard even a single word I wanted to say. The driver maintained a poker face, while the girl was as explicit as she could be. I punched the OVRM with the maximum force I could and asked both of them to come to the police station with me. This got their attention. Even though I reached the police station, they didn't bother to (police station was just a left turn away, 20 meters tops). I don't want to say that I'm proud of this act and neither do I endorse it but it goes on to show the unexpected outcomes of driving on Indian roads. Especially in the NCR region.

The best course of action for this situation would have been to thank my gods and not bother engaging with the driver (or even give him a hard look). Don't bother; not because you're right and they're wrong but because there is no law enforcement for the wrong and the sheer number of those who have paid for their license. Lesson learned.

Note to self: A dashcam for car/GoPro for motorcycles is mandatory in this country. A mightier tool than a sword. The police will gladly submit the video as a proof and prosecute the wrong person just because there is money in there for them! Use this privilege!
typlo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 23:35   #280
BHPian

I also want to put my opinion in this regard.

Hope no BHPians do this, but I have seen innumerable instances where people used to stop and park their cars, bikes, vans mainly (magic, maximo, city ride), trucks and buses occupying left half of the single or 2 lane road itself, all 4 wheels on the road, as if boasting of ones ancestral property, disrespecting the fact that the road equally belongs to all, regardless of the duration of the stoppage and even if there is more than enough space on the shoulder of the road to keep the whole car off the road.

To me this is clearly an instance of ego, as if dictating to the vehicle behind that "Stopping on and over the road is my birth right. If you want to go past me, halt your car and wait for the car from the opposite to go past me".

I think government should make a law to bulldoze such cars without a single warning. Then only the ever increasing arrogance of such unruly Indians will be extinguished.
anu007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 19:41   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
. Meanwhile, his girlfriend started screaming at me and hurled a dozen abuses at me.
Though the reaction you exhibited truly human emotion, there exists a deadly flaw in the situation.

If this woman decided to drive down to the Police station (as you asked them to) and lodge a Outrage of Modesty case against you, it would have destroyed your entire career, life & reputation.

She need not submit any material proof. Just words from her mouth is enough for you to be arrested by Police. Police is forced to do so.

Just be careful. When a woman / female factor is involved, be extra extra cautious.
prithm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 20:17   #282
BHPian

Fell victim to a road rage today. A Honda City cut me off while riding my bike in heavy rain without any indication. On asking the guy to use indicator before changing lanes, he pulls down the window and uses cheap words to address me giving me his so called gyan about how to ride in the rain. I scold him back to watch his mouth after which I ride ahead of him.

His road rage escalates for god knows what reason, comes barreling down the road and rams me from behind at the next signal. I am unable to comprehend what is going on by when he decided to make an escape. It's really scary what people are ready to do just to prove a point. I have noted the number but do not have any proof to take action. Any suggestions?
nikhn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 20:59   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post

His road rage escalates for god knows what reason, comes barreling down the road and rams me from behind at the next signal. I am unable to comprehend what is going on by when he decided to make an escape. It's really scary what people are ready to do just to prove a point. I have noted the number but do not have any proof to take action. Any suggestions?
I understand you. I've had to deal with such situations in the past and most recently too.

Please understand that people in India do not know about traffic rules since most of them have paid for their licenses. Those who know about traffic rules decide to not give two hoots about them. Our law enforcement is weak. Our judicial system is out of reach for most.

My suggestion to you is to first take care of your bike, claim insurance and get it back on the road. You may or may not choose to file a police complaint against the person who hit your car but unless you have a complete video proof, the complaint is unlikely to yield results. If it helps you with closure, please go ahead and file a police complaint. I've had bad experiences with the cops so far. They just ask both parties to apologize to each other, maybe pay them a couple of 500s as the 'fee' for resolution and that's about it. Keep us updated about whatever you decide to do.

Edit: 'Car' changed to 'Bike'

Last edited by typlo : 28th August 2018 at 21:12.
typlo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 21:08   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
I understand you. I've had to deal with such situations in the past and most recently too.

Please understand that people in India do not know about traffic rules since most of them have paid for their licenses. Those who know about traffic rules decide to not give two hoots about them. Our law enforcement is weak. Our judicial system is out of reach for most.

My suggestion to you is to first take care of your car, claim insurance and get it back on the road. You may or may not choose to file a police complaint against the person who hit your car but unless you have a complete video proof, the complaint is unlikely to yield results. If it helps you with closure, please go ahead and file a police complaint. I've had bad experiences with the cops so far. They just ask both parties to apologize to each other, maybe pay them a couple of 500s as the 'fee' for resolution and that's about it. Keep us updated about whatever you decide to do.
Thank you for the suggestion. I agree with whatever you said. I have decided to let it go. It is really disheartening to me that people can go to any length just to prove a point. BTW, I was in a bike and not a car when he rear ended. If I had been in a car I would not have really worried since there was no danger to life.

But today's incident has changed the way I look at car drivers in Bangalore. Especially the younger generation in their late 20s. Having argued with cab drivers in the past sometimes , I have never experienced this kind of behaviour with them.
nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 22:45   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
But today's incident has changed the way I look at car drivers in Bangalore. Especially the younger generation in their late 20s. Having argued with cab drivers in the past sometimes , I have never experienced this kind of behaviour with them.
This is the point nowadays. These days it is the cabbies who are comparatively defensive and sedate compared to the white board cars with all sorts of people behind the steering wheel. Issue is, the most uncultured, uneducated and senseless people somehow have got lots of money, and they end up buying cars at their wish and will. And their driving behaviour is also a good representation of their background. Hence, there is no point in arguing with such people, especially when there is no mishap(eg stuff like teaching them lane discipline, right of way etc). I hope both you and your bike are ok.

Everytime I spot such a moron on the road, the only thing I do is pray that one bad guy crashes into another bad guy, so that the good guys can just move on. No point in getting frustrated, angry and then leading to such a turn of events.

Typically if it is my bike, I avoid riding next to any cars. Either ahead or behind if the traffic is moving, with decent space. People hardly check mirrors and drive.

Last edited by audioholic : 28th August 2018 at 22:46.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks