Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2018, 00:15   #286
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
On asking the guy to use indicator before changing lanes, he pulls down the window and uses cheap words to address me giving me his so called gyan about how to ride in the rain. I scold him back to watch his mouth after which I ride ahead of him.
I have one simple mantra & sharing with you to save time to learn the holy Grail of road rage.

Never give gyan to anyone in such situations. They are not doing this out of Innocence. They are very well aware & doing this in Arrogance.

So just let it go. The very same argument that gives you peace, will take it away too. Being a biker, I have to be sedate. If I drive fast, the world looks at me as if I'm challenging them. If I drive safely on the left most side of the road, I m ignored. That's much better than being used as a target practice by heavier vehicles.

Just take a deep breath & let it all go & wish karma take care of checks & balances.
prithm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 07:23   #287
BHPian

I had an unpleasant experience last Sunday evening. I was driving home with wife and kids. It was drizzling. I had a right turn to take at a signal which was red. So I stopped in the rightmost lane while indicating.

While I was waiting, a white Swift bumped into the left rear fender of my car. I got down from my car to check the damage. The left side of the rear fender had dislodged from the left quarter-panel and the panel was slightly bent out. I went to the driver of the Swift. He's still sitting in and not coming out. He had a co-passenger. Both looked like rowdee buffs. The car had black tints and all. My wife also got down and stood beside the Swift asking the co-passanger to come out of the car.

The driver didn't come out even after multiple requests and humbly insisted both cars move to side to clear the traffic. In the mean time, the light turned green and traffic started honking like mad. To avoid jam, I decided to move my car across the junction to right and asked the Swift guy to follow. Wife waited on the road divider to direct the Swift guy.

The moment I moved ahead, the Swift guy just zoomed past my wife straight ahead and was gone. We both were shocked to witness that. The traffic did not allow me to reverse and follow him. He was just gone.

Lessons learnt -
1. Never move the car in such accidents. Reach to a solution there itself traffic be damned. Get a traffic cop if possible.
2. Take snaps of the culprit car and the damaged car from all possible angles immediately. This builds some pressure on the culprit car to not flee.
3. Insist the driver to get out of the car before starting any discussions.
4. Anything else ?

Incidentally, I could remember the registration number of the car but I'm not sure what can be done now. I got the owner name from Vaahan and also see that there are a few violations recorded on that vehicle pertaining to 'driving without license' and 'black tints'. What further course of actions do you suggest ?

TIA
RishikeshK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 08:15   #288
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
I had an unpleasant experience last Sunday evening. I was driving home with wife and kids. It was drizzling. I had a right turn to take at a signal which was red. So I stopped in the rightmost lane while indicating.

Incidentally, I could remember the registration number of the car but I'm not sure what can be done now. I got the owner name from Vaahan and also see that there are a few violations recorded on that vehicle pertaining to 'driving without license' and 'black tints'. What further course of actions do you suggest ?

TIA
I don't think doing anything will be of any help. You should be thankful that it did not turn into a violent brawl. It is a sad truth, but we can't do anything about such situations and we must prevent our self's from getting involved in such situations. Such people do not having anything to lose. Here in Delhi, I have seen so many assaults where the person who was at fault injured the other person seriously. My dad always keep a baseball bat in all our cars and advise me not to use it, unless situations get worst. So I will suggest you to move on and get your car repaired. I don't think anything is more expensive than your life and your family.
Secondly, even if you remember the registration no., there is a very small chance of tracing the owner. Sometimes the registration is not transferred, sometimes the car is a theft car, etc etc. Also I will advise you to be careful when dealing with people in Swifts, Santros, i20s, Brezza, Scorpios, Safaris, Celerios, Verna(maybe), etc. Here in Delhi, it is my observation that more than 70-80% of such cars are owned by these goon type of guys or you can call these as "Bhai vali gadiyan".
_nitink_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 09:03   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Lessons learnt -
1. Never move the car in such accidents. Reach to a solution there itself traffic be damned. Get a traffic cop if possible.
No. If the other person is civilised then he will move the car and you won't even have to even argue with him or tell him to come out. Traffic cop, if there is major damage then you should.

Quote:
2. Take snaps of the culprit car and the damaged car from all possible angles immediately. This builds some pressure on the culprit car to not flee.
Yes, you should take the snaps of the damage. It might come handy for insurance claim; the image will record the location, time, date of accident as well.

Quote:
3. Insist the driver to get out of the car before starting any discussions.
If the damage was not major, then what was the point of calling the other driver out?

Quote:
4. Anything else ?
Yes! Install a dashcam. You never know when it can come handy.

Quote:
Incidentally, I could remember the registration number of the car but I'm not sure what can be done now. I got the owner name from Vaahan and also see that there are a few violations recorded on that vehicle pertaining to 'driving without license' and 'black tints'. What further course of actions do you suggest?
Relax sir! There's no point in pulling it further. Let it go! Be thankful there was no major damage or any brawl. Things could have turned violent. You can forget this minor accident after a while but if things had turned violent you would have never forgotten it plus the trauma.

It's simple. If the damage is minor, let it go. If damage is major, claim insurance.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 13:57   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
No. If the other person is civilised then he will move the car and you won't even have to even argue with him or tell him to come out. Traffic cop, if there is major damage then you should.
Yes, the chap repeatedly said let's get to the side and we'll talk. Thinking that to be a genuine request I moved the car. Bad judgement.

Keeping in mind the earlier suggestions on this thread, I would have let him go anyway had I sensed danger; but fleeing away was totally unexpected.

I received an earful from my wife afterwards about my stupidity of moving the car; but that's another story!!

Quote:
Yes! Install a dashcam. You never know when it can come handy.
Good suggestion. Will definitely look into it.

Quote:
Relax sir! There's no point in pulling it further. Let it go!
Yes. Cheers.
Old 18th September 2018, 22:38   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
btw, the name of the RJ when translated to english means Affableness or geniality
such a subtle way of giving the name, yet not. I asked Mr.Know-it-all(google) for info about the RJ and felt sort of "Man, people these days. Their social avatar and what they write on the walls and whatever things we use in social medium; they actually don't apply in real life. It's just a fake mask for the likes which in turn boosts our ego"
By the way you dealt it very cleanly.
rav11stars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 10:51   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the chap repeatedly said let's get to the side and we'll talk. Thinking that to be a genuine request I moved the car. Bad judgement.

Keeping in mind the earlier suggestions on this thread, I would have let him go anyway had I sensed danger.
With all due respect, I really fail to understand what is the need for a talk unless you want to pressurize the other party into paying up for damages from his own pocket, which I guess is legally not allowed. Everyday I see multiple such minor incidents with the involved parties blocking traffic and wasting everyone else's time. It is a car and with the amount of traffic on the roads, minor damages like these would happen. The law only allows you to register a case and claim damages from the insurance of the accused. But we all know in India it is next to impossible to achieve that. Then why fight/argue etc.

Also you clearly say if you would have sensed danger you would have let him go. I usually observe this behavior commonly now. People raise their voices, act all ferocious and what not, until one party succumbs and coughs up money. In the cases where both have large Egos, it results in a physical fight. But what is the end result?

I always just wave and move on. Your life is more precious than these small arguments. And it is inevitable that your ride ( however much you love it) will get these small dents and hits. This is why we buy insurance.

I can only request people to see the larger picture, be the bigger person, and just move your vehicle. No damage whatsoever is worth such arguments on road with strangers.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 11:35   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the chap repeatedly said let's get to the side and we'll talk. Thinking that to be a genuine request I moved the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
With all due respect, I really fail to understand what is the need for a talk unless you want to pressurize the other party into paying up for damages from his own pocket, which I guess is legally not allowed.
Agree fully with Dr Mohit here. As long as no one was hurt, all you need to do is record the other car’s number and move on. File an FIR (to simplify the process of making an insurance claim), and claim from your own damage policy. The fact is that legally, someone who is at fault in an accident has no liability towards you - his insurer may have a liability towards your insurer, but claims take several years to be proven, and no one goes through that process for low value damage.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 11:51   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also you clearly say if you would have sensed danger you would have let him go. I usually observe this behavior commonly now. People raise their voices, act all ferocious and what not, until one party succumbs and coughs up money. In the cases where both have large Egos, it results in a physical fight. But what is the end result?

I always just wave and move on. Your life is more precious than these small arguments. And it is inevitable that your ride ( however much you love it) will get these small dents and hits. This is why we buy insurance. No damage whatsoever is worth such arguments on road with strangers.
Quite right, very correct actually. I come here to teach myself some sense. I wasn't planning on sharing what happened but heck, if people can become all the wiser for it then why not.. plus I wouldn't mind being advised by the forum folk for my errors.

This happened with a cabbie who cut in intentionally almost creating an incident and making me panic brake, went ahead, a long honk later (7-8 seconds) he came out, sensing danger to the car I exited as well.. I knew what was going to happen but he grabbed my jacket so quickly and bent me forwards and this guy like most of the so called "ragers" only knew how to restrain, and hold their opponent in place, I pushed him away and was almost overpowering him but again he had to hold onto my clothing and tug at it like its the only way he knew how to fight (cat-fighting). Reminded me of another video where the bullet rider and an Innova cabbie were only holding onto each other and shoving each other into vehicles but no actual fighting. I have self-defense training and I could've taken him on and won easily but for the fear of being on the side of the road where vehicles ply and technically it is embarrassing to have to fight in a society like we have today with all the video recordings going around.

A few punches received to the arm, doled out a few myself right to the core but for him constantly pushing me and frustrating me to no end, I couldn't land them where it'd really hurt. I went away feeling no pain but I could see that he had enough. It is really an adrenaline moment, your temper is at an all-time high, the mind that is part of logic and reasoning switches off and the self-defense mechanism kicks in. I shouldn't have done it, but then again it wasn't exactly me who did it, that part which did it felt danger, felt that such driving shouldn't happen and that the cabbie was a homicidal nut.

I remember Donald Trump's words "you punch a bully in-between his/her eyes and they wont do that to anyone else". Not a fan of the man the least bit, but he did make a valid statement there. Me, I might need therapy and anger management... even one incident has made me embarrassed because I knew what would happen if I step out but the body was on auto cruise-control and the off switch didn't work.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 11:35   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

I seem to get triggered into roadrage with 2 things -

1) The other guy makes a blatant mistake and then makes eye contact (he may or may not open his foul mouth next, but the eye contact sets me off)
2) The other guy honks at me from behind when the traffic light up ahead is red

I've caught myself chasing two guys menacingly when the first kind of trigger sets me off.

I have had quite a few ugly fights over the second trigger.

I'm guilty as charged. I'm yet to figure out how to remove my short-fuse permanently. In all other aspects on the road, I am polite to a fault and am very very patient and forgiving with others.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 23:44   #296
Team-BHP Support

A very nice video from Thailand.

bblost is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 16:17   #297
BHPian

Re: Road rage confession

It was around 8:30PM last night with moderate traffic. I was on my two wheeler and I saw an alto coming out of a lane to the main road and right behind there was a taxi (Indica) honking away to glory. Once they reached the main road the honking and flashing by the taxi did not stop. It was very evident that he was trying to overtake the alto but in vain. Next he found a tiny gap where he decided to squeeze and hit the ORVM of another car parked towards the left and he's finally side to side with the alto. He then decides to hit the alto with his from the rear door till the end and sped away (It was like a scene from the movie). The alto driver was shocked and didn't see it coming. He stopped for a minute and then left.

The lane from which the taxi and alto came out is a small lane and overtaking isn't possible.

My assumptions, the taxi guy was trying to overtake for a long time and the alto did not let him. Or the taxi driver was inebriated.
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:56   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

I know I have shared this video yesterday on another thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...n-5-years.html (Growth levels slowing : Indian car sales witness the worst festive season in 5 years)), but I feel that I should share it here where our people would expect to find this - an outrageous example of roadrage.

1) I was cut off by these morons and I had to brake to avoid hitting them.
2) They were riding triples and the rider didn't have a helmet on.
3) I threw my hands up in disgust and the rider became angry at that. I didn't beep once nor raise my voice. I did let out a "po da" ("get lost you moron" in Tamil) which wouldn't have been audible outside the car.
4) They verbally abused me and as I pulled away, one of them hit the car with his leg. You can hear a thump in the video when he kicked the car's rear.
5) Another motorcycle with his friends then hit me on the way too. You can hear this on the video too.
6) The other motorcycle can then be seen overtaking me and threatening me. I didn't respond. They thankfully left.

I circled around aimlessly before going home. I didn't want them following me home. And I can't report this to the Chennai city traffic police via their webpage either because they have a dangerous habit of announcing "Based on the complaint with video evidence by Mr.XYZ, we have issued a challan against Mr.ABC...". I don't want to be Mr.XYZ who got killed by Mr.ABC and his wolfpack! As it is the, the parivahan website trumpets one's name and address to the world with gay abandon. I don't know if the miscreants have noted my car's number or not.

The morals of my story

1) You can't even express your exasperation or anger at motorcycles, especially if ridden by youth from the lower economic segments. They believe in the strength of numbers to set things right. In other words, we live in a mobocracy. This is the country which blames train drivers for mowing down reckless standers-by on train tracks! We should know how to live in one! Don't expect yourself to be allowed the freedom to even twitch a muscle on your face, not even when they're guiltier than hell. They are always right.
2) If I had gotten out to fight, I'd probably have gotten killed or maimed by them. 5 on 1 is a bad fight. Even 1 on 1 is a bad fight. Fighting your way out of the situation to ensure that there's no fight is the best fight!

If I had been stuck, boxed in by traffic, if I couldn't have escaped, God only knows how it would have gone. I would've probably let go of my ego and apologized, trying to appeal to their better nature (if they have one!)

Epilogue

I got home quite tensed. My 3 year old and our neighbor's 3 year old were both playing dangerously on our sofa's cushion atop the backrest. I tried telling them to stop it. Then I snapped utterly and completely and threw my daughter down onto the sofa from the backrest. And then I picked up the neighbor's son and did the same. They both bawled uncontrollably and I shushed them, trembling with all my pent-up rage. Boy, was I living dangerously yesterday!

I can't keep doing this to myself and to my loved ones.
locusjag is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:07   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I can't keep doing this to myself and to my loved ones.
Relax! I have undergone this many times and trust me as of today it is worthless getting into any sort of arguments with such morons. Yes at times anger gets the better of you however it is always better to be alive than dead
sumathindra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:25   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A very nice video from Thailand.
Very nice indeed. I like the idea of having a pic of your loved one in the car. That would surely help me keep my senses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks