Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 21:47   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Just a word of caution, NEVER roll down your window
Agree and this is my biggest fear in one touch down window cars! Some are very sensitive to even lightest of touches.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 15:09   #422
BHPian

I recollect an Incident few years back where I was happily cruising with my kids on the OMR near Thoraipakkam on a Sunday morning (8am). There was a Green signal for me and I was almost at the lines when I see a clown on Maruti Zen happily trying to make a U turn from the opposite lane into mine when he had a RED signal!!!. As luck would have it there was an Auto conscientiously stopped on the left lane picking/dropping passengers. As is my first reaction in this case I started honking loudly and put on the blinkers. But the Zen clown just cuts across anyway. For a minute I had my heart in my mouth and there was not much time to stop either. It was a mini miracle and the extra wide off-market Michelin primacy tires of my Ritz that I managed to steer off that place without an Incident. Wonder of wonders that fellow is now on my tail honking and yelling at me for not stopping at signal (On green!!!) He had his wife and a small kid with him in the car as well and was claiming that but for them he would have picked up real panga with me. Shell shocked I was but I politely and firmly told him to learn driving first and informed him I am ready to come to the nearest Police station at Sholinganallur. Thankfully his wife stepped in to rein in that fellow and both of us went our ways.
venbas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 09:49   #423
Senior - BHPian

An incident like this (watch the biker in the black tshirt) is what scares me in minor incidents where the other person is clearly wrong. The guy engages in a fist fight and nearly ends up killing the other biker by pushing him onto an oncoming minitruck.

God forbid he had a weapon - even a metal rod or anything like that.
BenjiRoss is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 10:55   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
An incident like this (watch the biker in the black tshirt) is what scares me in minor incidents where the other person is clearly wrong. The guy engages in a fist fight and nearly ends up killing the other biker by pushing him onto an oncoming minitruck.
With the evidence of this CCTV footage, a criminal case, attempt to murder case should be filed on the biker in the black shirt. If the Tata Ace driver did not brake in time, the guy on activa would have suffered serious injuries or even death. His bike doesn't have rear view mirrors, he did not even look behind while merging on the road he did not even wear a helmet, while the guy on Activa is following all rules, he has a helmet, has rear view mirrors, but due to this moron biker, he had to suffer.
WhiteSierra is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 12:34   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
With the evidence of this CCTV footage, a criminal case, attempt to murder case should be filed on the biker in the black shirt. If the Tata Ace driver did not brake in time, the guy on activa would have suffered serious injuries or even death. His bike doesn't have rear view mirrors, he did not even look behind while merging on the road he did not even wear a helmet, while the guy on Activa is following all rules, he has a helmet, has rear view mirrors, but due to this moron biker, he had to suffer.
+1. It is high time such acts get punished and that too severely. They should give the cops some sort of power where they don't have to wait for someone to file an FIR. Irrefutable proof like this video above should be sufficient for the authorities to arrest and charge you. The Activa guy was really lucky to have escaped that Tata ACE.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 13:05   #426
BHPian

The black shirt guy did glance once and then started off. He clearly thought that the gap with the Activa was enough to either just slow down a bit or the Activa will swerve around him when he himself was swerving around another parked bike. But the Activa rider continued without doing either as he did not notice this black shirt guy joining the road without any indication.

That was the catalyst behind his angry reaction!.

Biggest lesson in India- NEVER ASSUME. Indicator is mandatory when joining moving vehicles. Indicator flashing would have given the Activa rider a much better chance of noticing this guy.

But he has no right to get physical and push someone. It could have been fatal for the Activa rider !. It could have been fatal for himself without a helmet on.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 09:29   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
An incident like this (watch the biker in the black tshirt) is what scares me in minor incidents where the other person is clearly wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
That was the catalyst behind his angry reaction!.
Biggest lesson in India- NEVER ASSUME. Indicator is mandatory when joining moving vehicles. Indicator flashing would have given the Activa rider a much better chance of noticing this guy.
This is essentially the issue - The idiot on the bike is going to say - Did you not see I had my indicator on!! (Translate to local language)

People feel that just because they have indicated it is their right to change lanes, join traffic, etc --- NO NO and NO ----- It is your responsibility to join responsibly!!! The indicator does not give you right of way!!
Samir Taheer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 11:50   #428
BHPian

Absolutely right!. The indicator is only to indicate your intentions and then confirm if others are reacting to it. But he did not even do that here.

So no point in going to the next stage of what he would have said if he had his indicator on. Looking at him and his bike, you will very soon get another video of him .
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 09:41   #429
BHPian

Some road rage incidents really shake you up, even if you are not a participant and happen to be a mere bystander.

Yesterday afternoon something similar happened to me. A man who happened to be a passenger alighting from a public bus had some altercation with the conductor and driver. He decided to block their way on an extremely busy green signal by standing in front of the bus to get back at them. That's right, in front.

The driver decided to start to move anyways. The irate man literally started to push against the front of the accelerating bus instead of moving away to 'stop' the bus. Yes, a man against a bus.

Now by that time, the front of the bus plus the man moved away from my field of view. I was pretty much certain the man had been turned into a mush under the wheels. But thankfully it turned out the man came to senses and moved away sideways to save his life.

But by then everyone at the scene was shaken by the possibility of being witness to a gory murder scene. Holy moly!

I wish I had the whole incident on video, because it's quite difficult to describe such mindless rage scenes in words. Especially since the whole drama unfolded and got over under 60secs.
stallmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 17:54   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw a Tata Ace rear-end a local goon on a Splendor. I said "goon" because he transformed into a goonda. He pulled out the Ace's wiper arm and cracked its windshield with it.

Whether the Ace's driver was guilty or not, what right do our noble 2 wheeler riders have to destroy property or to hurt others over accidents such as these? How many of these self righteous 2 wheeler riders have we seen - we need only to ask ourselves before we realize that India's 2 wheeler riders have been given a blank cheque with which they either kill themselves on the road or with which they vandalize others.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 18:50   #431
BHPian

After many years of driving and riding in India, I can confidently say that our bikers/two wheeler riders are much much more worse than all other categories of vehicles!.

I am not talking about zig zag or mobile usage here. In a nutshell, a huge majority of them are clueless of other vehicles' dynamics, blind spots, road sense and totally oblivious of what is happening around!.

When they are ambling along like a snail on the right most lane and see a huge vehicle suddenly overtaking from the left, they seem so shocked as if they have booked the road today for themselves and an intruder has trespassed !.
Nalin1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 10:33   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I folded my hands and did a "Namaste" . The expression on his face was priceless. He appeared totally confused and was left wondering what to do next, instead of hurling abuses, he burst into laughter and sped away!
This is so great. Accidents happen and it's natural to get angry. But at the end of the day, everyone just wants to be respected.
I did the same thing with a scooter guy once. He cut in from the left and I was under the impression he is merging so continued at around 20kmph. However he decided he actually wants to take a right so suddenly hit his brakes after merging so my bumper kissed the rear of his scooter (no damage) but he was so full of rage and ready to have a fist fight, I got down and asked if he was okay first (didn't apologise) and he just went 'pusssssss' . Left without a word.
Old 5th March 2021, 14:54   #433
BHPian

4th March near 9.20 PM - Happened at Jaraganahalli junction traffic signal under JP Nagar Metro station. My dashcam captured a fist & helmet fight between two 2 wheeler riders. What started out as a simple bumper touch ended in broken bones.

Key takeaway - DO NOT LOSE YOUR TEMPER. Videos shot thru DDpai -

Last edited by vinu_h : 5th March 2021 at 15:22.
Old 5th March 2021, 15:50   #434
Senior - BHPian

That junction at Jaraganahalli can be quite a pain with lots of unruly driving/riding/cows/wrong side driving etc..all happening at the same time.

Clearly, the bike guy from behind who started the fight was wrong. But we don't know what the guy in the yellow shirt had to mutter.

These are incidents that time and again prove that its best to assess, and de-escalate. Its definitely not worth going home bleeding or with a broken jaw.
Old 5th March 2021, 20:43   #435

I can never forget what Road Rage did to my family. My Father in law was shot dead on my engagement day just a few minutes after the ceremony just because of normal scuffle on road which lead to traumatic consequence for my family. It took an year for my wife to come out of that episode, even now it haunts her.

I just want to say that atleast we can avoid getting into argument and we can solve matters legally and calmly. If you ever come across someone who is totally out of their mind a 'Sorry' won't harm you if it gets you out of the situation safely. Even if it isn't your fault don't get into a fight with anyone and try to take legal and calm way out of the situation.
ImDivyy is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed