Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2021, 16:28   #481
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Road Rage, Precautions & Safety.

The other day, I experienced one of the first road rage incidents, first hand with an oncoming biker. It was after a long and tedious work day, running at about 10-11hours with heavy rain pouring down in the Mumbai suburbs. As I was in the backseat with my chauffeur heading us home to Worli, from Lokhandwala area, the traffic was gnarly.

I believe we were stuck at this one area for almost an hour, with a snails pace of movement just trying to reach the highway towards freedom in a sense.

As I was exhausted, and in the backseat working/reading on some notes on the iPhone. I can’t be too certain, but suddenly a biker from the left lane started honking and hurling abuses towards the driver. With over a fifty cars, bikes and autos still around us, let alone a few traffic cops nearby, his rage suddenly turning into an outburst of anger with him lunging at us with his helmet in hand, more or less intending to use as a weapon to break the windscreen at first, and then the drivers side window.

At this point I was more than a bit shocked, as I at first thought that the car must have hit or touched his bike, as he was on this left lane possibly trying to bypass us to the right of us, but apparently in this chaotic traffic, my driver moved forward alongside other cars even post a red signal, and this seemingly angered this fellow to no ends. It could’ve been an honest mistake, seemingly as the traffic had us on that road for an hour, everyone front and back just wanting to go ahead. Not that I condone that behaviour. Getting finned would be acceptable over needless violence.

Thankfully, while he just huffed and puffed with more abuses and a few near misses to the windows of the car, as we didn’t get out nor lower the windows to talk back, with the driver even pleading with his folding hands in apology but while being in the locked car. The man did try to pull open the door, with great force. I’ll come back to this in a bit.

The whole ordeal might have lasted for about a min or two, not further.
We stopped by, as the left lane by the cops was opened up for those who were heading to the right cross section of the road, and then off we went ahead, without anyone or the cops stopping us, nor was there a room too either way.

It still took us over an hour to reach back home, with a gentle ride back home once we touched the highway. However, after getting out of the vehicle we were surprised to notice the broken door handle on the drivers side. The man had pulled it out with great force, and the handle was just connected to the wire, and dangling just to the side of the door. I believe it’s one of those keyless entry thingy wires.

I’ve already talked to the Hyundai service rep, and had the car picked up and getting it fixed alongside a bit of a servicing. (Did not claim under insurance, as it was a minor issue.)

It’s not the cost that I’m concerned with, nor necessarily the car in itself. But the safety of my driver, and even myself, or any other occupants being the more paramount concern.

I wanted to ask the forum members, on what to do in such a situation in case it were to arise again? (God forbid)

Do we get out of the vehicle and try to talk it out?
But if someone is showing aggressive signs, and willing to use any object as a weapon, in this case a helmet, is it advised to just stay put inside the locked car until it escalates further? Any tips for most calm and peaceful resolution in any of these random events?

Thank you for reading, and your time.
I just wish to be better prepared and not be shell shocked under such circumstances henceforward, with my anxiety begging me to avoid any altercation altogether.
Attached Thumbnails
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_2420.jpg  

Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_2419.jpg  

Lord-Lannister is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 17:27   #482
BHPian

Came across this on YouTube. While I've seen multiple videos like this, what made me post this here was the T-BHP sticker on the goon that's thrashing the truck driver.

Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-screenshot-314.png

His friend in the blue shirt seems to be trying to pacify him. I'm guessing the sticker is fake, but this just tarnishes the community's reputation.

Also this is the registration number of the hooligan's vehicle : MH 02 EE 0566.

Seems to be an S-Cross. I sincerely hope this guy is not a member of the forum.
Old 7th October 2021, 19:08   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Lannister View Post
But if someone is showing aggressive signs, and willing to use any object as a weapon, in this case a helmet, is it advised to just stay put inside the locked car until it escalates further? Any tips for most calm and peaceful resolution in any of these random events?
That must have been one scary incident. You did the correct thing by not getting out of the car and trying to pacify him or diffuse the situation. You cannot guess what would have been the reaction of the motorbike fellow seeing you get out of the car. He could have assaulted you with his helmet. Best way is to stay put and wait for the traffic to start moving. The police nearby could have been of assistance.
adi.mariner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 21:08   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But if someone is showing aggressive signs, and willing to use any object as a weapon, in this case a helmet, is it advised to just stay put inside the locked car until it escalates further? Any tips for most calm and peaceful resolution in any of these random events ?...
Engagement can momentarily lead to escalation / de-escalation because aggressive physical contact takes just 1-2 seconds. Do ensure to create / maintain a 6 foot physical distance even when the other party seems calm.

Depends on the situation, but it's mostly not very risky to reason out. Try to seem apologetic if it helps close the topic, else maintain poker face expression & call 100. Keep pepper spray at close reach within the car.

As a precaution, immediately buy a high resolution Dash-Cam that records well even at night, preferably 2-way i.e. forward as well as inside the car. An additional rear-facing Cam mounted on the rear windscreen would only be helpful.

Not as it "legally" proves the sequence of events, but mainly because a Dash-Cam often
a) puts the aggressor on back-foot when they know they're being recorded, and

b) often makes cops confident that you're very likely not at fault, all while that their immediate actions too are being recorded.

As any economy struggles/derails, crime rate only increases. Take care.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 14:53   #485
BHPian

Quote:

At this point I was more than a bit shocked, as I at first thought that the car must have hit or touched his bike, as he was on this left lane possibly trying to bypass us to the right of us, but apparently in this chaotic traffic, my driver moved forward alongside other cars even post a red signal, and this seemingly angered this fellow to no ends.
Since you mention a red light I assume it's an intersection and he might have wanted to take a right there. And since your driver moved the car forward he might have got blocked in. Of course, nothing warrants his ghastly behaviour towards you and your car, but that is the kind of society we are living in. He could have politely asked your driver to back up a bit if that was possible like any decent human being.

I generally try to leave enough gap so that two-wheelers can move forward - but it comes with its own set of problems and it's not possible at all times since they would eventually fill it.

I think given the circumstances you did the most sensible thing by staying in your car. Forget the incident and move on - Life's too short to let these people spoil our day.
darkfantasy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 14:48   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
You cannot guess what would have been the reaction of the motorbike fellow seeing you get out of the car. He could have assaulted you with his helmet. Best way is to stay put and wait for the traffic to start moving. The police nearby could have been of assistance.
Definitely, in a spur of the moment rage takes over and that's it. Would have preferred to calmly talk to the fellow, but not while he's waving around with his helmet in hand aggressively. Scary indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Engagement can momentarily lead to escalation / de-escalation because aggressive physical contact takes just 1-2 seconds. Do ensure to create / maintain a 6 foot physical distance even when the other party seems calm.

Depends on the situation, but it's mostly not very risky to reason out. Try to seem apologetic if it helps close the topic, else maintain poker face expression & call 100. Keep pepper spray at close reach within the car.

As a precaution, immediately buy a high resolution Dash-Cam that records well even at night, preferably 2-way i.e. forward as well as inside the car. An additional rear-facing Cam mounted on the rear windscreen would only be helpful.
Makes sense to be or at least seem very apologetic with or without a just cause, simply to pacify the situation quickly. Still better to be inside the safety of the vehicle than on outside being face to face. However, Pepper-spray at least in India would be a bad idea? I mean, the passerby's might consider ourselves as the aggressor and might join in creating a rather more dangerous situation with mob mentality taking over.

Will be upgrading to a new car within the next few months with Hector/Compass/Octavia in mind yet Audi A4 in heart due the mouth watering discounts on offer lol, and definitely have considered a dash-cam as one of the first accessories to be fitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfantasy View Post
Since you mention a red light I assume it's an intersection and he might have wanted to take a right there. And since your driver moved the car forward he might have got blocked in. Of course, nothing warrants his ghastly behaviour towards you and your car, but that is the kind of society we are living in. He could have politely asked your driver to back up a bit if that was possible like any decent human being.

I generally try to leave enough gap so that two-wheelers can move forward - but it comes with its own set of problems and it's not possible at all times since they would eventually fill it.
That is most likely how it happened, and we most definitely were in fault - not due to sheer negligence but being in bumper to bumper traffic one just wants to close the gap and move forward. P.S you're spot on as leaving any gap is riffled with the problems of bikers and autos forcing their way in, while the car behind honks relentlessly. Traffic does bring out the worst in people.

To end the ordeal in a good news -

The car has been serviced and fixed, and the workhorse in back in action.
They needed to replace the entire door handle, but now it's smoother than ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_2534.jpg  

Lord-Lannister is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 12:59   #487
BHPian

I think, best to do in any road rage incident is to avoid eye contact and keep heads down..
Eye to eye contact, is what escalates the situation further and hopefully other person pacifies over period of time.

Quote:

The other day, I experienced one of the first road rage incidents, first hand with an oncoming biker. It was after a long and tedious work day, running at about 10-11hours with heavy rain pouring down in the Mumbai suburbs. As I was in the backseat with my chauffeur heading us home to Worli, from Lokhandwala area, the traffic was gnarly.

I believe we were stuck at this one area for almost an hour, with a snails pace of movement just trying to reach the highway towards freedom in a sense.

As I was exhausted, and in the backseat working/reading on some notes on the iPhone. I can’t be too certain, but suddenly a biker from the left lane started honking and hurling abuses towards the driver. With over a fifty cars, bikes and autos still around us, let alone a few traffic cops nearby, his rage suddenly turning into an outburst of anger with him lunging at us with his helmet in hand, more or less intending to use as a weapon to break the windscreen at first, and then the drivers side window.

At this point I was more than a bit shocked, as I at first thought that the car must have hit or touched his bike, as he was on this left lane possibly trying to bypass us to the right of us, but apparently in this chaotic traffic, my driver moved forward alongside other cars even post a red signal, and this seemingly angered this fellow to no ends. It could’ve been an honest mistake, seemingly as the traffic had us on that road for an hour, everyone front and back just wanting to go ahead. Not that I condone that behaviour. Getting finned would be acceptable over needless violence.

Thankfully, while he just huffed and puffed with more abuses and a few near misses to the windows of the car, as we didn’t get out nor lower the windows to talk back, with the driver even pleading with his folding hands in apology but while being in the locked car. The man did try to pull open the door, with great force. I’ll come back to this in a bit.

The whole ordeal might have lasted for about a min or two, not further.
We stopped by, as the left lane by the cops was opened up for those who were heading to the right cross section of the road, and then off we went ahead, without anyone or the cops stopping us, nor was there a room too either way.

It still took us over an hour to reach back home, with a gentle ride back home once we touched the highway. However, after getting out of the vehicle we were surprised to notice the broken door handle on the drivers side. The man had pulled it out with great force, and the handle was just connected to the wire, and dangling just to the side of the door. I believe it’s one of those keyless entry thingy wires.

I’ve already talked to the Hyundai service rep, and had the car picked up and getting it fixed alongside a bit of a servicing. (Did not claim under insurance, as it was a minor issue.)

It’s not the cost that I’m concerned with, nor necessarily the car in itself. But the safety of my driver, and even myself, or any other occupants being the more paramount concern.

I wanted to ask the forum members, on what to do in such a situation in case it were to arise again? (God forbid)

Thank you for reading, and your time.
I just wish to be better prepared and not be shell shocked under such circumstances henceforward, with my anxiety begging me to avoid any altercation altogether.
navrddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 19:30   #488
BHPian

Today evening I was involved in a road rage incident while picking up my mom from her office, because of three drunkards on bike. The rider was weaving his way across road like a snake and to avoid him I proceeded to overtake him from right, and to my absolute horror the third idiot threw the lit cigarette butt right across the road infront of me, luckily it didn't hit me. As if this wasn't enough, the idiot sitting in the middle spat out his gutkha just after this Now I am a very peaceful guy, I usually avoid these kind of morons but these two just made my blood boil. What if I had lost my balance and crashed with my mom ! So I just yelled at them "are you blind or something idiots" and moved on.

There's a chowk after about 100 mts from where this incident happened, and 3 -4 RTO cops were present there so I was sure that these guys will get caught. Turns out RTO cops are just for looting us commoners and not to catch and fine these moronic drivers ! These guys sped up and caught up with me after a kilometer or so and asked me to pull over. These guys just came across to me so I had to stop and they started shouting that they saw before spitting and throwing away the cigarette butt, which clearly wasn't the case ! The moron who threw the cigarette appeared to be somewhat less drunk and he was arguing with me about the incident and blaming me. I said the matter was over, you go your way, I'll go my way and no harm was done. But the guy who was riding the bike - the superior moron had other ideas. He was standing right in front me and wouldn't let me move.

With mom also riding pillion, the situation was getting tense real quick. Thankfully my brain worked and I quickly called an "influencing" guy that I know, who works for a local party, narrated him the incident and then he spoke with the cigarette guy. After they got to know who I had called, they quickly apologised and sped away. What I learned from this road rage incident -
Never confront these morons especially drunk ones, let them go their way and hope the karma does it's work.
Cops are of no use, please have some contacts handy for such situations.
Will have to avoid using the scooter to drop off mom to office, till the festive season gets over, too many morons on the road these days.
Akshay6988 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 18:11   #489
Senior - BHPian

To the fellow Team-BHPian who shouted at me today in ring road, near Nagawara, Only identification was White LR Freelander 2 with Team- BHP stickers.

I'm sorry that I confused you while driving, but the 2-wheeler in front of me, the blue scooter driven by the old man was wobbling in between the 2 lanes and I had to slow down. I heard you shouting advising me to signal my action, but I don't really know of any signal to indicate that I want to continue driving straight. My brake lights are working perfectly, I checked.

I'm sorry I scared you and your partner.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 09:12   #490
BHPian

I don't understand why should one be silent if he is right. There are many suggestions to avoid eye contact, not to get out of the car, etc to de-escalate the situation. Can one not do anything for self defense?
I have come across many news reports of people getting fired just for honking or overtaking:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiatoday.in/amp/crime/story/delhi-one-arrested-killing-accountant-road-rage-incident-1729071-2https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hin...67078-amp.html020-10-07

https://www.google.com/amp/s/indiane...-7471653/lite/

https://zeenews.india.com/news/video...r_1883162.html

Even Policemen shoot if you don't allow them to overtake you:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mid...-rage-22964238

If Policemen can shoot, why not Army men:

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/nort...198-2011-12-29

Doctors be careful:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...296-2017-05-21

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bangalo...w/81298268.cms

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/32879860.cms

Even court judges are not spared:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/indiane...ycle-men/lite/

Since people get shot for honking or overtaking, should we remove our horns and not overtake anyone? Any suggestions?

Last edited by CarNerd : 4th November 2021 at 09:40.
Old 10th November 2021, 22:06   #491
BHPian

So, this is not exactly road rage but I couldn't find anywhere else to post it.

I am seriously disappointed in the direction that humanity and our society is heading towards. Don't know what happens to people at tolls.
This Sunday (7th Nov) night around 7pm my parents and I were travelling from Delhi to Agra on the Yamuna expressway.

So the YE has fastag only on the two rightmost lanes. By mistake I entered the third lane which is the cash lane and by the time I realised I was halfway through the queue, so, reversing wasn't an option. Traffic cones are used here to form the lanes to some distance from the tollbooth so people form proper queue.
However, mid way the lane they had a gap in the cones for people to change the lanes, in case of mistakes I guess.

I have attached a photo trying to portray the situation.

So, at this gap I had my car diagonally intending to join the fastag lane. I requested to at least 4-5 cars by hand motion to let me join but seeing my requests, everyone turned their face and started tailgating each other bumper to bumper even though I stood there patiently as I didn't want to force my way through. Finally my dad got out and stood near the corner of the next car but as soon as the queue moved ahead, the car and the next one after it accelerated and steered vigorously to move ahead in the queue almost hitting my father.
And then the gentleman in the 2nd car shouted back in a condescending tone - 'kyu rok rahe ho, line me aao peeche se' (why are you stopping us, go and come in line) to which I shouted back 'udd ke nahi aya hun line se hi aya hu, reverse kaise krunga yaha se' (i have not flown here i have come in line, I can't reverse now). In the commotion, the next car gave way and we could join the queue.

The entire incident left a very bad taste. This was a fastag lane, even if a car joins in front of you that is only a 10-15sec delay. People at tolls become a different animal altogether! I can understand if someone is trying to cut the queue by forming a second line but I had come in line and it was an honest mistake on my part. Maybe I would have done the same (same as the people who turned their face away) but would have let the person join if someone comes on foot and it is visible that they are genuinely stuck.

Kindness in the open world has become a rarity now-a-days.
Attached Thumbnails
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_20211110_220515__01.jpg  

Candy$Cars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 23:09   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post

The entire incident left a very bad taste.
This is that kind of a situation where one can be labeled as the person doing the wrong thing and be advised to pay more attention to not repeat it; or a wishful situation where people overlook such minor mistakes and let it go.

So let me use a different world scenario - US freeways. For the tolls on these freeways, there are only three outcomes possible
- You have a pass/tag and you pay a discounted rate (generally ~50%) of the toll
- You don't have a pass/tag and you pay the full amount in cash (slow process, need to have the right change, etc.)
- You avoid paying and run through the toll gates (most tolls don't have barriers like India) and risk running a hefty fine via cctv grabs

Mapping to that scenario, you should have just gone ahead and paid the double toll charge - that's what I would have done if I were in your position. It's a different matter if you didn't have cash/card/UPI options with you, but I doubt that was the case with you.

Whether the gap/opening was for the purpose you think it was or not is a side matter. For every individual case with a 'genuine' reason as yours, there are hundreds of cases at our toll booths of people trying to cut the line and hence the cause of the response you got. Unfortunately that's what works in our messy toll gates so doubt that is going to change at all.
ninjatalli is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 00:08   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The entire incident left a very bad taste. This was a fastag lane, even if a car joins in front of you that is only a 10-15sec delay. People at tolls become a different animal altogether! I can understand if someone is trying to cut the queue by forming a second line but I had come in line and it was an honest mistake on my part. Maybe I would have done the same (same as the people who turned their face away) but would have let the person join if someone comes on foot and it is visible that they are genuinely stuck.

Kindness in the open world has become a rarity now-a-days.
I agree with ninjatalli here. All said and done, you had made a mistake. And it was upto the other commuters to give you a second chance. If they didn't budge then please don't blame them. Just accept the fact and move on.

In this case, you could have continued in the cash line, paid in cash or requested the booth operator to manually scan your Fastag with a hand held device.

PS: Kindness should never be demanded or expected but should come as a surprise

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th November 2021 at 00:11.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 13:53   #494
BHPian

Quote:
So, the Yamuna Expressway has FasTag on the two rightmost lanes. I entered the third lane which is the cash lane.
Sorry to hear what you went through. Please forgive and forget, others may have misunderstood that you were trying to cut in their lane and save time.

Here in Mumbai, the cash lanes have FasTag scanners too, automated scanners like the FasTag lanes and / or manual handheld scanners.

Doesn’t the Yamuna Expressway toll have any type of FasTag scanner in the cash lanes?
GTsunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 18:54   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember a return trip, London/Brighton, about 2004. Not something I did often, and not familiar with the roads.

On the way back, I was driving past a long line of traffic on the left lane, when I saw the traffic sign: that was the lane i should have been in.

Not a situation where one can stop to explain one never meant to be queue jumper. Of course, no-one wanted to let me in. Just had to go for a small gap and force my way in. Doubtless, labelled a cheat and a queue-jumper by the guy behind. I expect regulars on that road saw many. No way to explain. That's life.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks