Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
  Search this Thread
1,432,417 views
Old 19th September 2023, 21:09   #826
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 8,440
Thanked: 21,286 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

In yet another road rage incident in Delhi, two men pointed a gun at a man during an argument over their two-wheeler crashing into his car. The incident took place in the Bhajanpura area on Saturday 16/09/23.

CCTV footage from the area shows the two men on bike crashing into a parked car, following which its owner comes out of the house and gets into an argument with them.

In the video, the car owner's mother is also seen engaged in the argument when the two men suddenly take out a gun and point it at him. Before the matter could escalate, his mother sends him inside the house.

However, the two men then try to go inside the house but are stopped by the woman. The police have now registered a case and have started searching for the accused.

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/delh...-delhi-4400579

The video can be seen on this link above.

The unarmed lady with a stick is brave enough to face the two men, one of them with a gun and shoo them away.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 00:20   #827
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 52
Thanked: 207 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

This incident happened with me today.

My building has two gates, one main in the front and one in the rear side, both of which are used regularly. My Nexon was parked close to rear gate, hence i decided to exit from there, however a smart gentleman had neatly parked his 2012 Innova right in front of my gate, completely blocking the exit. I proceeded to deflate the tire's when he came out of nowhere. We got in an argument, and instead of apologizing, he is saying that there was no watchman there, I will park wherever I want, what will you do and the likes. Wow! So smart!? We exchanged some cuss words. After which I decided to end it and went back to my car to leave. By this time he had started reversing his car out.

When he saw me again exiting with my car, he stopped in the middle of the road ( inside road with very less traffic), came out and started abusing me, creating a scene in front of the few people who were present. He used extremely foul language, which provoked me, however I forced myself to be calm, simply took a picture of his car and uploaded it on X, tagging Mumbai police and BMC. If I would have left my car, a physical fight would have been inevitable. This went on for about 5 minutes, after which the crowd tried to calm him down, and then he left. Did I handle this well? What else should I have done?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th October 2023 at 09:14. Reason: Removing other car's reg. no.
Eco_boost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 06:44   #828
BHPian
 
Shanksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Madras
Posts: 807
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_boost View Post
This incident happened with me today, I proceeded to deflate the tire's when he came out of nowhere.
Hi Eco_boost,

I can understand your frustration as we have a party hall opposite my house and many of the visitors regularly park their cars without even realising they are blocking our gate. Yes, I have also gotten into many arguments with various offenders, but never abused anyone or touched their property(car).

However, let me tell you that you deflating the tyre was wrong. Irrespective of how his parking had inconvenienced you, please do not deflate anyone’s tyres. In fact it is an extremely counter productive act since the offender could just use it as an excuse to leave his car there. Also another fact to consider is they know where your house is and people these days are small enough to hold grudges for small issues like these.

When you clearly have one unblocked entrance just use that for the sake of your health and mental peace, absolutely no point in getting into an argument.

Last edited by Shanksta : 9th October 2023 at 06:45.
Shanksta is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 08:32   #829
BHPian
 
Small Bot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Madras
Posts: 449
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
However, let me tell you that you deflating the tyre was wrong. Irrespective of how his parking had inconvenienced you, please do not deflate anyoneís tyres. In fact it is an extremely counter productive act since the offender could just use it as an excuse to leave his car there. Also another fact to consider is they know where your house is and people these days are small enough to hold grudges for small issues like these.
Completely agree. These days, it's always better to de-escalate as long as it's not a repeat offence. NEVER do anything like deflating tyres. It's always better to either talk it out in a very civil manner. It's like the old saying: 'The monks may go elsewhere, but the temple still remains'. You might expose your residential location to unruly social elements if you antagonise people by deflating tyres. There's nothing to stop that angry driver from coming back and doing property damage, so it's always better to be cautious and civil in these interactions.

I used to have a Toy Shop in the front side of my flats complex that later became an ICICI Bank branch. So I see the number of cars and bikes that park in front of my gate exponentially increase. All that we could do was put up a signboard to the side saying: 'Visitors to the bank, please park here' and clear off sufficient space for any car to come in and go out of my flats. This resolved 80% of the issue, with the occasional offender asked by my security guard politely to not park directly in front of the gate.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 21:59   #830
BHPian
 
deemash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: TN38
Posts: 249
Thanked: 205 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
That's one of the best ways to avoid road rages - just don't engage. After a point, the other person generally sees the futility of raging against somebody who just refuses to respond.

Someone I know used to say: You need to act like a buffalo on the road at times - Don't look the other person in the eyes, have thick enough skin to brush off any (abusive) language and just keep going as if nothing's happened.
I have witnessed couple of road rage incidents where they block the car till you respond or kick/punch the car till you respond. My friend's car has a dent because someone kicked it.

There were instances where they broke the car windshield by throwing stones. Recently, saw this in Kerala in a video.

Don't know how to avoid response in such cases. Sometimes, saying a sorry would ease the tension. Sometimes, despite telling sorry they verbally abuse.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th October 2023 at 05:09. Reason: Profanity
deemash is offline  
Old 14th October 2023, 07:40   #831
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 93
Thanked: 152 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Don't know how to avoid response in such cases. Sometimes, saying a sorry would ease the tension. Sometimes, despite telling sorry they verbally abuse.
My experiences on being both sides is that best response is no response. Try not to further aggrevate the situation by being aggressive. Even no response can sometimes go bad depending on the situation and the other party. But majority of the time other person would also calm down soon. We should avoid further escalation of the situation. If it's your fault genuinely say sorry and if it's not your fault try to forgive and move on.
SamDiablo is offline  
Old 14th October 2023, 11:53   #832
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,007
Thanked: 2,447 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_boost View Post
This incident happened with me today.

My building has two gates, one main in the front and one in the rear side, both of which are used regularly. My Nexon was parked close to rear gate, hence i decided to exit from there, however a smart gentleman had neatly parked his 2012 Innova right in front of my gate, completely blocking the exit. I proceeded to deflate the tire's when he came out of nowhere. We got in an argument, and instead of apologizing, he is saying that there was no watchman there, I will park wherever I want, what will you do and the likes. Wow! So smart!? We exchanged some cuss words. After which I decided to end it and went back to my car to leave. By this time he had started reversing his car out.

When he saw me again exiting with my car, he stopped in the middle of the road ( inside road with very less traffic), came out and started abusing me, creating a scene in front of the few people who were present. He used extremely foul language, which provoked me, however I forced myself to be calm, simply took a picture of his car and uploaded it on X, tagging Mumbai police and BMC. If I would have left my car, a physical fight would have been inevitable. This went on for about 5 minutes, after which the crowd tried to calm him down, and then he left. Did I handle this well? What else should I have done?
Sorry to say but you didn't handle it well at all.
I am finding it hard to imagine the fact that a BHPian will proceed to deflate the car tyres, doesn't matter if the other car is wrongly parked or not. This is probably the worst possible way to deal with the situation and should be listed among the DONTS in this kind of situation.
This kind of action is basically an open invitation to escalate the situation, exactly opposite to the intent of this thread. Thank God finally nobody got hurt.
adimicra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 21:39   #833
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Chennai
Posts: 65
Thanked: 39 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

I suggest not to take up enforcement or teaching lessons into your hands. That’s not worth the trouble which you might invite, and no one is going to learn from you. Best is to keep it cool and move on.
gotoguru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 18:20   #834
BHPian
 
virajvroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 75
Thanked: 116 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_boost View Post
This incident happened with me today.

My building has two gates, one main in the front and one in the rear side, both of which are used regularly. My Nexon was parked close to the rear gate, hence I decided to exit from there, a smart gentleman had neatly parked his 2012 Innova right in front of my gate, completely blocking the exit. ............This went on for about 5 minutes, after which the crowd tried to calm him down, and then he left. Did I handle this well? What else should I have done?
Thanks for contributing. This is the right place to express your frustrations, as there are fellow citizens in the same boat. As many pointed out, you don't have the right to harm anyone else's property, including tires. A lot of entitled society committee members have spread this myth that it's okay to deflate someone else's vehicle tires. But the fact is that it is illegal (at least if you get caught). I had a tussle with one of my drunk society members who wanted to deflate other's tires just because they parked their vehicles in spots he didn't like. I continuously told him that he couldn't do that and we needed to take all Society members to a meeting and solve things amicably. But he got aggravated and started threatening me, saying who was I to teach him, and he would deflate my bike's tires as well. So, I directly told him we would have to lodge an FIR if he did anything stupid. This guy cannot even say FIR properly. He keeps uttering FRI FRI even now. Does nothing other than just keep poking around if someone from society is taking responsibility for getting things done. The other day he finally had the audacity to tell me that I hadn't apologised to him since the incident that took place almost a year ago. So I said Sorry and closed the matter. His ego must have got a boost. But the next time something similar happens, I am all prepared for legal action.

By the way in situations like these, the Police ideally don't lodge an FIR. They lodge an NC instead, that too after multiple attempts to solve things amicably fail. Especially in things like road rage, where no one has been hurt physically.
virajvroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 15:53   #835
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Delhi-Dehradun
Posts: 559
Thanked: 1,887 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Last night, while returning from a family wedding, we encountered a road rage incident on the Delhi Meerut expressway. Despite the aggressive actions of another driver on the road, we managed to de-escalate the situation by choosing not to engage. Here's the account of what transpired.

We were traveling in a convoy of four cars, including my nephew with his wife and child leading the way.

Suddenly, a reckless driver in a VW Virtus came from nowhere speeding aggressively, intimidating other road users with dangerous manoeuvres, honking, and flashing lights in our rearview mirrors. As he attempted to overtake our convoy, my nephew's car inadvertently blocked his path, leading to his frustration. With no room to move for my nephew, the situation escalated as this driver aggressively confronted my nephew's car, even resorting to brake checks and blocking their way. In this tense moment, I called my nephew, advising him not to react, a suggestion he wisely followed. Meanwhile, my nephew's wife captured some photos of the aggressor's car with her phone. Interestingly, as soon as the driver noticed the camera, he fled. LOL - A classic case of a bully who couldn't stand exposure. We later had a good laugh though.

We safely reached our destination and promptly reported the incident to the police. Looking back, I'm relieved that we all remained composed and didn't react to the provocation. It's worth mentioning that our group consisted of six physically strong adult males including my nephew, and the situation could have turned much worse for the aggressor and potentially for us if we hadn't kept our cool. I feel itís imperative to maintain composure during such incidents, as there are no winners in road rage confrontations. Iím posting that moronís car registration number picture here (thought of not doing it earlier, but I feel he truly deserves it).

UP16 DN 0501.
Attached Thumbnails
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-85126ce8c1ff47cd8e6d364445ebb135.jpeg  

Col Mehta is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 14:06   #836
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 119
Thanked: 634 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Yet another fake accident scam by local goons in the Sarjapur area in Bangalore

https://twitter.com/srijanshetty/sta...89712729501959

Detailed news - https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/tr...-11753881.html

Last edited by swoosh : 16th November 2023 at 14:08.
swoosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 10:16   #837
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,986
Thanked: 2,957 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Had an incident yesterday evening, not exactly a road rage but a parking issue.

While returning from home, I was running few errands. On a busy road, I parked my City on side of the road ensuring that I am not blocking anybody's gate or vehicle. All of a sudden before I could get down, a Creta and Crysta started honking mad. Thought I had hit somebody, then a person around age of 60 came out of Creta and asked me to move vehicle as I had parked my car in front of their home. I came out of my car, was standing near my car's door with that person standing next to me. All of a sudden the Crysta was driven aggressively toward us, so much so that the person who came out of Creta was scared.

Crysta's driver came out and started aggressively arguing with me. The person who came out of creta told me the he (the one who was driving Crysta) is his brother. I told them firmly only one should speak, politely.

Lets call Creta's driver as Brother 1 and Crysta's drvier as Brother 2.
Here is how the conversation went after both of them were standing next to me.

Brother 1 : Why dont you park on the road ?
Me : I have parked on side of the road.
Brother 2 : Where will I park my car ?
Brother 1 : Move your vehicle, why are you here ?
Me : I am running a few errands, but why does it matter ? Is this your private property on which I have parked my car ?
Brother 2 : In India, its a rule that the space opposite one's home is their parking.
Brother 1 : Dont waste my time.
Me : Am requesting you both again, please any one speak.
Brother 1 : (Aggressively) Give me money I will get you what you need from the next door shop.
Brother 2 : (Shouting) Move your vehicle, else I will park my car next to your car and you wont be able to open door.
Me : First, both of you decide if I need to move vehicle or I should give money to Brother 1 to get my goods.

Brother 2 to Brother 1 : Are you his servant ? Why are you getting things for him ?

I had hand in my pocket to get the money so that they can buy me the grocery list I had. Just couldn't help at this point and I started laughing. In order to park a car, an individual is ready to help me with my home's grocery list !

By this time traffic had slowed down and observing us arguing, with the shop owners laughing at the situation.

Brother 2 : You are wasting my time since one hour.
Me : I left office after 6:30 pm, you can check CCTV of my office. Its not one hour since I am here. Are you OK ?
Brother 1 : With folded hands requested me - please move your vehicle.
Brother 2 : what is the issue with you moving vehicle.
Me : Will get what I need and I will move vehicle.
Brother 2 : What do you want, that we should beg to you to move your car ? Ok, (with folded hands) please move your car.

Looking at two individuals who were my father's age, literally in middle of the road asking me to move my car with folded hands, I couldn't help but smile at the poverty of their thinking process like they own the road.

Brother 2 : My car's petrol is getting wasted. (He was the crysta driver, his car was diesel for sure from the noise)
Me : Its a diesel car.

The look on his face was something to laugh. By this time, those who had stopped to witness drama and get free entertainment were laughing too.

My friend used to live in same society as these two guys before shifting to an apartment around 6 years ago, and still holds the property. Basically my friend was neighbor to these two guys. When I had Wagon R, then also same thing happened but at that time, it was Brother 2.

Decided to leave and head home as I was hungry after a long day at work. Came back after couple of hours and got the list accomplished, refueled my car too.

Owning a car is no longer an achievement in urban areas, but having parking space for the car is definitely an achievement.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st November 2023 at 10:23.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 11:25   #838
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,852
Thanked: 16,191 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Had an incident yesterday evening, not exactly a road rage but a parking issue.

While returning from home, I was running few errands. On a busy road, I parked my City on side of the road ensuring that I am not blocking anybody's gate or vehicle. All of a sudden before I could get down, a Creta and Crysta started honking mad. Thought I had hit somebody, then a person around age of 60 came out of Creta and asked me to move vehicle as I had parked my car in front of their home. I came out of my car, was standing near my car's door with that person standing next to me. All of a sudden the Crysta was driven aggressively toward us, so much so that the person who came out of Creta was scared.
Very confusing conversation to follow. You say you didn't block anyone's gate but then mention in the same line that you were asked to move because you parked in front of their house.

Did you park (seemingly) in front of their house or entrance or wall? Was this a main road with dividers & sorts or a simple residential street? Given this is Vadodara you are talking about, I'm guessing it's a mix of both. Must be a common occurrence for them, to flare up so quickly, I guess.

Good it didn't go beyond the seemingly rude conversation at max.
ninjatalli is offline  
Old 21st November 2023, 12:58   #839
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,986
Thanked: 2,957 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
1. You say you didn't block anyone's gate but then mention in the same line that you were asked to move because you parked in front of their house.

2. Did you park (seemingly) in front of their house or entrance or wall? Was this a main road with dividers & sorts or a simple residential street? Given this is Vadodara you are talking about, I'm guessing it's a mix of both. Must be a common occurrence for them, to flare up so quickly, I guess.

Good it didn't go beyond the seemingly rude conversation at max.
1. Correct, didnt block anyone entrance. But outside the compound its road.

2. Yes, its main road with road divider.

Am attaching two images. This will clear things up.
Attached Thumbnails
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-aaggoswami-parking-issue-subhanpura-vadodara.png  

Attached Images
 
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 08:24   #840
BHPian
 
mgastor2022grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Chennai
Posts: 191
Thanked: 569 Times
Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Hi guys, penning down an incident of road rage that I experienced yesterday:

I was travelling in the Chennai-Madurai highway to enjoy my car while travelling to my relative's house. I was doing good triple-digit speeds, and the road ahead of me was clear (not even a single vehicle - it was around 12:20 AM, a little past midnight). Suddenly, a Camry (supposedly the 2011 model) flew past me at blistering speeds. I did not mind him overtaking me, as a road is for everyone to enjoy right? So, I continued driving. 4-5 km ahead, I saw him stopped on the side of the road, with his hazards turned on. I thought he had some engine trouble, so I continued without stopping. Just as I was about to pass him, he floored the juice pedal and crept up to my speed. Even at this point, I did not understand that he was trying to instigate me.

He went ahead of me and stopped again to launch again when I came near him. But by this time, I had already guessed that he was racing with me. When he passed me, I also saw a friend in his car drinking. No one was wearing seatbelts (the interior was white colour, so contrast wise deduced). I immediately noted that this was the perfect recipe for disaster, so I slowed down a bit (to around 105 kmph). He also slowed down. But at this point, he swerved his car to the right and hit my car's front left fender. Thankfully, I did not lose control.

He tried making this a hit-and-run, but I was already ready to chase him. He took off at high speeds. I followed him for around 10-15 km, but later decided to not do it as we had entered city limits and doing those speeds was not safe. He continued to drive recklessly (he even took off a dustbin). I took a click of his license plate and his face with my phone.

BHPians, how should I escalate this further? There has been a dent and some scratches in the fender, but I don't want to use my insurance (I'm not at fault). Should I report him to the police?

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2023 at 17:07. Reason: Rule #11
mgastor2022grey is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks