Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2024, 08:26   #931
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveesh4u View Post
https://Youtu.be/ffqlaCcFkyI?si=og6tyNLp9Bkbldqf

The sheer arrogance of the Thar driver to block a public transport bus in this specific situation seems unnecessary.
Public transport bus or not, we need to understand that even if it’s a public transport vehicle, a military vehicle, a diplomat car or a police car, the driver can be a bad driver or a bully. Afterall, everyone is just human.

I have often seen bus drivers bully car drivers due to the size of the bus and they often block the road when they feel like and then honk like a madman when they feel like. These drivers have literally no training on how to drive or how to behave.

Also, obstructing a rash government bus driver is not obstructing a public servant from performing his duty. The driver has no right to enter the opposite lane blocking incoming traffic.

So i would say this is justice to us.

Last edited by beemer5499 : 28th May 2024 at 08:29.
beemer5499 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 08:58   #932

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/ffqlaCcFkyI?si=og6tyNLp9Bkbldqf
The Kerala RTC bus was not speeding but calmly trying to overtake a car, leaving ample space for the Thar on the left side to pass.
While I agree that this is uncalled for; you're stopping in the middle of the road, blocking emergency vehicles, etc...

I can't help but feel contempt for Kerala bus drivers in general. Anyone who occasionally drives there would understand the risk these guys put everyone through. The Thar driver while also in the wrong, must clearly be frustrated with these guy's antics.
TankJr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 09:04   #933
Distinguished - BHPian

An unstoppable force meets an immovable object - ego of a Thar owner and the recklessness of a Kerala bus driver!

Jokes apart, one thing we car drivers need to keep in mind is that most commercial vehicles are severely underpowered compared to what we are used to. It's a royal pain for them lose speed and then get back to cruising speed - so they tend to maintain the speed even if it means putting other vehicles in danger. As owners of more powerful and agile vehicles, we should be more considerate towards these commercial vehicles and allow them to pass even if we have the right of way, etc.
androdev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 10:28   #934

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
It's a royal pain for them lose speed and then get back to cruising speed - so they tend to maintain the speed even if it means putting other vehicles in danger. As owners of more powerful and agile vehicles, we should be more considerate towards these commercial vehicles and allow them to pass even if we have the right of way, etc.
On some of Kerala's hill roads, I used to despise the Force Travellers whenever I was on a motorcycle. They were not as large as a truck but were larger than a car. So they would occupy a complete lane. We could not overtake them, neither did they slow down a bit for us. Coming from behind, they would honk and try to overtake us in a terrifying manner. Seeing them felt literally like a mosquito for me until I realised that if they were to slow down and accelerate often passengers would find that very uncomfortable. Their engines did not let them build speed quickly either. I would now check if it was safe for me to let them pass, and then I did. Otherwise, I would ignore them. On overtaking I would let them know of my presence mostly by flashing lights a couple of times, and they would tend to allow me when it was safe for both of us, without slowing them down considerably.

The Thar may very well have been in its rights to do so. I am glad that no personal aggression was shown here by anyone. I think if the truck was parked close to the fuel pump, it would have enabled the other truck to pass without causing all this.

As always, there are things that would be within our rights, but other than a feeling of I won today, doing it doesn't accomplish anything. I am not saying we should continue this system, but an ice bath doesn't cure viral fever.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th May 2024 at 16:28. Reason: Spelling, spacing, formatting
ringsoftime is online now   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th May 2024, 10:39   #935
BHPian

Quote:
An unstoppable force meets an immovable object - ego of a Thar owner and the recklessness of a Kerala bus driver!

Jokes apart, one thing we car drivers need to keep in mind is that most commercial vehicles are severely underpowered compared to what we are used to. It's a royal pain for them lose speed and then get back to cruising speed - so they tend to maintain the speed even if it means putting other vehicles in danger. As owners of more powerful and agile vehicles, we should be more considerate towards these commercial vehicles and allow them to pass even if we have the right of way, etc.
That is precisely the reason why drivers of mountainous regions tend to be better at driving.
They understand the nuances due to inertia, power of the engine and drivng dynamics owing to vehicle size. They would almost always respect incoming heavy vehicles, lane rules and apply common sense not to mention respect for the other driver.

But I have also seen the same drivers driving differently, for the worse, once the steep slopes are over and they feel free to drive in whichever way they want.
Fuldagap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 10:44   #936
Senior - BHPian

Wow, I learned so much by reading one thread. While I agree the discussion was on a different topic than the thread title, it is worth. Thank you everyone.

Quote:
The Kerala RTC bus was not speeding but calmly trying to overtake a car, leaving ample space for the Thar on the left side to pass.
Wow, "Calmly overtaking"? Decades back when I learned driving, I've been firmly told to never attempt an overtaking in a leisurely manner, as the road situation is ever evolving. The best way is to prepare, by being in the right gear, check the surroundings, and quicly execute the overtake, and merge to the left. Looks like new rules are in place now. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Nowadays, I am being propelled into explaining every post, which I don't want.
Written communication demands well articulated narration. Your mind might be thinking something, but unless you articulate it words on paper, others can't get it. I am sure can do it with some more practice.

Quote:

1. On a non continuous line, the bus has all the right to attempt an overtake of an obstruction. Actually, crossing over a continuous lane is also allowed in case of an obstruction. The truck turning left, into may be a petrol bunk caused this obstruction. The point to be noted here is that the bus did not continue aggressively in the wrong lane. It was literally stationary and trying to move back once the obstruction clears.
So many learnings in one paragraph!!
"right to attempt an overtake"- First time I am coming across this term. Thank you

Quote:
2. There was ample space for the Thar to stop in it's lane to do this, but it chose to come as close as possible to the bus to teach it a lesson. All it wanted was to push the bus back, which also didn't happen.
Issue with rules are that, well, they are rules. You cannot twist them as per your convenience. The yellow solid line on the left, as per rule, should not be crossed. Just like the non-continuous line you have quoted which can be quoted, other lines also has meaning.
Please refer if you are not aware of https://www.team-bhp.com/news/unders...ehensive-guide

Ideally , a driver need to learn all these to get license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

What the Thar did isn't road rage either. It's called standing your ground. It is practised and appreciated across the world; much before dashcams were even invented.
Thank you for the detailed explanation which I can relate with. Immensely helps me to reaffirm that I did not wake up in a different universe.

Quote:
Someone's freedom fighter is someone else's militant. It depends on how you see it.
Rules are rules. Fortunately, most of the motor vehicle acts are easy to interpret. At the same time, I agree we might have different opinion about many of those, for example, I think the window film ban is incorrect and the rule should be on % transparency. But unless you and I get a chance to change those, they remain as is and there is no militant vs patriot drama there- we all have to follow.

Also, agree that some of these are loosely implemented. This is common across the globe. For example, on most US highways, one could exceed speed limit by a fair margin. Then, what is that fair margin depends on the place, which one could learn over time, or from locals.

Quote:
Most roads in Kerala are two-lane roads, requiring drivers to be cooperative and willing to accommodate oncoming traffic for overtakes when necessary and reasonable. Otherwise, reaching destinations on time becomes difficult.
I agree with the accommodating part, as our roads are not perfect, hence no rule are be always followed to the text. It helps us many a time of crisis, as we find a way to survive, which many other countries struggle to do. For example, our traffic would be back to near normal even if we switch off traffic lights in a big city, as after the initial chaos, people will find a way to cooperate and coexist.

Quote:
Was the Thar driver right? Absolutely not.
  • He could have accommodated the overtake.
  • He shouldn't have driven towards the bus.
  • He shouldn't have blocked the traffic behind him, as he had plenty of space on the left.
Interestingly, amongst all the vehicles in the video, the only vehicle that did not break any rule was the Thar.
  • The vehicles behind both Thar and the bus, overtook from left- illegal to do, if you follow the book. They should have stopped and waited, if all were following rules.
  • The vehicles behind the Thar stepped on Yellow line, marking shoulder. Another offence.
  • The KSRTC bus did a risky overtaking manoeuver, potentially placing travellers and other vehicles in danger.

The Thar- followed the rules. Then, sometimes, there is a cost to be paid if you are a law abiding person.
WhiteKnight is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 11:02   #937
BHPian

I stand with the Thar, even though I dislike how most of them are driven.

He did nothing wrong. The bus is at fault here and I am sick of state transport buses acting like this in nearly every damn state.

I bet the people supporting the bus will also side with this clown in the Harrier:
vredesbyrd is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 12:39   #938
BHPian

I'm not defending the behaviour of the Thar driver, but Kerala SRTC drivers clearly lack empathy and discipline. I'm regularly traveling in KSRTC buses now a days between Ernakulam and Thiruvananthapuram. Despite having different drivers each day, the way they drive is exactly the same - be it Super Fast, Super Express, Swift Super Fast or Minnal.
Minnal especially is a disaster waiting to happen. I've seen tourists getting off the bus in the middle of nowhere, 2 am in the morning because they got scared how the bus was driven. Lot of work is going on in National Highway, these guys drive close to 90km despite all the warnings, take deviations like theres no tomorrow and never slow down for potholes. They scare every other vehicle on road by flashing the light, tailgating or honking- like they should move over or die.
KSRTC should seriously consider giving drivers some sort of class on value of human life.
Joe367 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 12:47   #939
BHPian

Quote:
1. On a non continuous line, the bus has all the right to attempt an overtake of an obstruction.
They don't have any right until the other side is clear.

Quote:
2. There was ample space for the Thar to stop in it's lane to do this,
That's a shoulder, people shouldn't be driving on it.

Quote:
There was a video shared sometime back, where a drunk biker riding wrong side crashed into the dashcam car on the middle of the road, still the police and local villagers asked the car to pay 5k to the rider.
That's just result of what we call around my parts as katta panchayat, nothing based on law.

No wonder this country is a wild west when even some people in this forum are predisposed to this way of thinking.
Yieldway17 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 15:34   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankJr View Post
The Thar driver while also in the wrong, must clearly be frustrated with these guy's antics.

How exactly is the Thar driver wrong? The continuous yellow line on his left means "do not cross"
madhavgpai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 17:41   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I stand with the Thar, even though I dislike how most of them are driven.

He did nothing wrong. The bus is at fault here and I am sick of state transport buses acting like this in nearly every damn state.

I bet the people supporting the bus will also side with this clown in the Harrier:
https://Youtu.be/sZvoMfW-eR4?si=zGT94Ng7XH_Zpj9D
It takes a lot of courage to do this. I guess the dashcam gave the driver more confidence . I have stood my ground a couple of times in similar situations. I also think the Thar was correct upto the point he stopped; not when he intimidated. The bus driver really had no chance of pulling his overtake with the number of vehicles ahead, and surely he was coming off the curve intruding into the oncoming traffic.

Having said all of the above, the difference between courage and stupidity is wafer thin. I vividly recall the incident in Oman where a Pakistani guy stabbed to death a fellow Pakistani, as the latter tried to pick a fight. We never know who's lurking behind those wheels and what they are hiding. Please take care folks.
theabstractmind is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 19:39   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
What if someone decided to teach the Thar driver a lesson by crashing into him from behind?
Teach a lesson by crashing into him from behind? If someone did that, he would be guilty of breaking law and is liable to be punished. You can't crash into anyone no matter what, you should know that. This kind of behaviour is the reason why Indian roads are mostly unsafe for normal persons who follow the law.

Quote:
It's a royal pain for them lose speed and then get back to cruising speed - so they tend to maintain the speed even if it means putting other vehicles in danger. As owners of more powerful and agile vehicles, we should be more considerate towards these commercial vehicles and allow them to pass even if we have the right of way, etc.
In short, commercial vehicles are allowed to break laws because it's difficult for them to slow down and pick up speed? Nice!

How about we apply the same logic to rich guys driving in more powerful vehicles than anyone? It must be a royal pain for rich guys to drive slowly, safely and lose all the fun right? That's why they tend to maintain reckless high speed even if it means putting others in danger right?

As pedestrians and owners/riders of ordinary vehicles/2-wheelers, we should be more considerate towards sports cars and allow them to run over anyone even if we have the right to live right?

Where is this country headed?
CarNerd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 19:57   #943
Senior - BHPian

Another case of road rage -

https://x.com/akhilsabu45/status/1792877703151882253

Looks like this one didn't get so much attention.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 21:09   #944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncia6276 View Post
At 2 seconds in the video, we can see there was a car to the left of the Bus, means the Bus driver was trying to overtake.

The behaviour of the Thar driver was thus not justified.

There are serious cases, where Lorries / Buses trying to overtake gets on to us at enormous speeds, without slowing, taking of 100% of our lane, and throwing us off the road... This Bus driver never showed any such characteristics.
I am randomly picking quote that is stating that Thar was wrong and in no way singling out this post.

My two points are,

1. Thar has right of way and need not Yield. These are basic concepts of driving used everywhere in the world.
2. Bus driver can only overtake when it's safe to do so and when there is space.

Yes, the Thar could have been more defensive, but if people here who have driven in Kerala, they know the notorious nature of these red buses and how they bully everyone on the road.

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th May 2024 at 07:50.
m_proper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 22:31   #945
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: The Thar vs KSRTC Bus topic has been discussed enough. Please move on.
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed