Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 13:59   #61
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Been a part of many such incidents. Only one thing works - "Stop right there, apologize saying some reason". remember the car can take a beating, and you got to reach home safe.

I also have been part of situations which could have gone wrong but a prompt Sorry from my part /other party helped cool down the tempers quickly and everyone went their way with closure.

One of my friends was beaten up in front of his home in the evening by rickshawalla goons just because he said something to one of them in the afternoon.

So the thing to remember is value your life and mental balance more than your ego. It is very difficult to do this when tempers have flared up and both parties are thinking - HOW DARE HE !! - but it needs to be done to avoid further issues. Let the morons go ahead / break rules / do their monkey antics. Just keep safe and moving keeping a straight face.
Old 31st March 2015, 16:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Been a part of many such incidents. Only one thing works - "Stop right there, apologize saying some reason". Settle it then and there. Even if you move out of the incident zone by 50-100 meters, you have escalated it already.

A punch on the spot may become two or three down the road.

Apologize then and there, close the issue amicably, act like a chicken if you have to, but please resolve it then and there. Dont make smart-ass moves like calling 100 or your friends or a high handed body language, just let it go and remember the car can take a beating, and you got to reach home safe.
I agree,it's better to chicken out from an unnecessary battle. But in some instances I have seen a person being repeatedly slapped right on his face even though it was not his fault and was profusely apologizing . What do we do in such cases?What should I do if the person still keeps on attacking me even though I have apologized? Do i engage in a fist battle.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 31st March 2015 at 16:26.
Old 3rd April 2015, 16:58   #63
BHPian

Disclaimer: Strong/Offensive language in video, viewer discretion advised.

(misleading thumbnail)
Here is a guy in car who is perfectly calm.
The guy out side is so hyper- he is just short of smashing the window @ around 2 minute mark in video.
There were people around - trying to calm the hot-head.

I am not sure what would be the situation here in India.

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 3rd April 2015 at 17:01.
driverace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 18:59   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I agree,it's better to chicken out from an unnecessary battle. But in some instances I have seen a person being repeatedly slapped right on his face even though it was not his fault and was profusely apologizing . What do we do in such cases?What should I do if the person still keeps on attacking me even though I have apologized? Do i engage in a fist battle.
You do the best to block his blows. Since he is not accepting the apology you take shelter in your car and evade as soon as you can.

Sometimes you may be more powerful and give him a blow that causes bloodshed or may lead to a bigger blow by him. This will only escalate matters, perhaps police interfering. You never know the political contacts the hot-head has that can cause you problems for engaging in a fight.
navsjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:29   #65
BHPian

I personally believe in road rage fights only winners are the bystanders as they get something fun to see.

I usually try avoiding conflicts. Earlier this year in January on MG road while going towards Gurgaon a driver in WagonR with family on-board started overtaking from wrong side and constantly honking. Due to less space it was difficult for me to give him space, well he eventually got in front and slowed his car down to make me stop. Well I did stop on the side, locked my car and got out calmly. He started abusing yelling and even hitting my car with the foot. Calmed him down, put a hand on his shoulder and explained to him that to take it easy. Eventually he calmed down said sorry and went away.

Instances like these and many others happen a lot in India. No point in confronting, after all even if the car gets a few nicks here and there hardly matters. Human life is more precious.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 09:36   #66

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46819259.cms

Another incident of road rage.

The photo made me feel very dipressing.
Old 7th April 2015, 11:40   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

A man beaten to death in front of his young children. All because his bike banged against a car and there was no space for him to move back. The offenders seem official 'bad characters' in Delhi Police books and may be that is the reason, constables, stationed a mere 50 meters away, turned the children away when they tried to get some help.

Delhi-man-beaten-to-death-by-car-occupants

Protests for justice now - Protesters-cause-massive-traffic-jam-in-Delhi-following-road-rage-killing

People are on extremely short fuse these days, even more crucial to let go of your ego on road and drive with a calm and rational mind.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 7th April 2015 at 11:43. Reason: correcting links
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 13:22   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
A man beaten to death in front of his young children. All because his bike banged against a car and there was no space for him to move back. The offenders seem official 'bad characters' in Delhi Police books and may be that is the reason, constables, stationed a mere 50 meters away, turned the children away when they tried to get some help.

People are on extremely short fuse these days, even more crucial to let go of your ego on road and drive with a calm and rational mind.
Read about this yesterday morning. Seems like it was a small bike silencer brush on the car's bumper or something. A life taken for this?? Really terrifying.

One really needs to keep his/her cool.

RIP the victim.
Old 4th July 2015, 11:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../47886242.cms?

That's a BHPIan - hisunil who is a big time biker and offroader. AFAIK he's a local as well.
Old 4th July 2015, 11:57   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

That's a BHPIan - hisunil who is a big time biker and offroader. AFAIK he's a local as well.
Such incidents are common in Bangalore. These rowdy auto rickshaw drivers man handling people even if they are at fault.Even Women are not spared from their high handedness.

Serves them right that the taxi revolution in Bangalore is hitting their livelihood hard and affecting their income. Serves them right!
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 12:12   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

This is sad. Hope he does get over with the incident as early as possible.

Been going thru the thread, here are my 2 cents.

The Road infrastructure and non adherance to the traffic rule are the major problems. This when coupled with the ego result in road rage.

Things happen everyday. Personally, ive decided to not react and if there is a mistake by me, will stop to apologize if needed.

Example of today's instance. Was about to take a left turn and was in the leftmost lane. Suddenly a guy in my left over took me and I had to stop to not hit him. In order to move away from the guy I swerved right a bit and braked. Now the guy on my right stopped his bike in front of my car, abused for a minute which I obviously couldnt hear, thanks to the insulation in Civic. Getting no response from me he had no other option but to start as traffic was building up.

The funny part is, the guy on my left, who was responsible for the mess would not have even realized the result of his actions.

RTO to be responsible for educating the traffic rules and should make the tests stringent. Maybe they should learn from Team-BHP and start rejecting applications twice or thrice so that the experience after is pleasant .
Old 4th July 2015, 22:41   #72
BHPian

Friends,

Just 1hour back I had to experience the worst day of my life.

Near Kanakapura-Sarakki signal i took the right towards kanakapura just in time when green was moving to orange. At the same time, bikers from opp direction entered even before it turned green.

Two bikers got down and smashed my driver car glass and beaten me black & blue.
My spectacles costing Rs.6000 was thrown out. Police standing near the tree were just mute spectators. I was in no position to throw back the blows as two of them starting punching in face. Really disgusting!!

What kind of punishment is this? That too it was not a clear signal jump.
I was not even reacting to the situation. It was so bad. None came and stopped these guys.

Can I get their contacts from the CCTV camera from BTP?
Its too much to beatup even though i have not jumped the signal.
Old 5th July 2015, 11:52   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends,

Near Kanakapura-Sarakki signal i took the right towards kanakapura just in time when green was moving to orange. At the same time, bikers from opp direction entered even before it turned green.

My spectacles costing Rs.6000 was thrown out. Police standing near the tree were just mute spectators. I was in no position to throw back the blows as two of them starting punching in face. Really disgusting!!

I was not even reacting to the situation. It was so bad. None came and stopped these guys.

Hope you are not grievously injured. I'll suggest you to post this immediately to BTP Facebook page with actual timing of the incident. I think BTP is monitoring this FB page, they'll find out relevant CC-TV footage from your given timings.
Old 6th July 2015, 11:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends,

Immediately approach the police station.Did you by any chance note down any part of the number,bike model,color etc anything that you can recall that might help to identify the hooligans.
That's exactly the reason why i keep a cricket bat and a can of pepper spray,though i would prefer to use the latter-spray and drive to the nearest police station to report.
I am not advising you to keep a bat,Invest on a dash cam if you do not have one.Your car is the best line of defense.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 6th July 2015 at 11:40.
Old 6th July 2015, 12:03   #75
BHPian

I was in no position to find where the police station was at that moment.
Did not take down the number as they were pulling and pushing.
Crazy folks man!!
At last, sent a FB post on BTP page. Now they say they do not have CCTV camera at the most important junction on ORR. Pathetic!
Luckily I have recovered from this incident and make sure to be prepared for such instant attack. Needless to say Bangalore is becoming more notorious day after day.

Most Viewed