Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2016, 14:15   #121
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Looking at roag rage incidents in russia and china, I have started to believe that Indian drivers are quite forgiving.
At least they dont resort to fights, if they are cut off in lane.
May be its got to do with lack of lane decipline in India or its a result of 'swalpa adjust madi' culture, here in Bangalore
I am surprised, being in Bangalore, you are saying this. Just for stopping on red lights, here tiff happens. "Swalpa adjust Maadi ", is when the error is in the hands of the rogue auto driver or the taxi driver who have no idea about driving, when there is a slight error from your side, just see how others behave. I don't want to be a racist or anything, but the majority, auto, taxi drivers in Bangalore are rogue and they hit your car, if not hit you, in case of a road rage.
Old 2nd July 2016, 19:47   #122
BHPian

Well, I am living in Bangalore for 17 years and I drive 55 kms a day.
Yes, there are bad drivers but NOT murders on Bangalore streets. You could have a tiff or exchange pleasant words but killing on roads is still a far fetched thing, in my humble opinion.
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 21:35   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Well, I am living in Bangalore for 17 years and I drive 55 kms a day.
Yes, there are bad drivers but NOT murders on Bangalore streets. You could have a tiff or exchange pleasant words but killing on roads is still a far fetched thing, in my humble opinion.
Never say never.

http://m.dailyhunt.in/news/india/eng...ewsid-54180274

http://m.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/ban...-attack-450209

Tempers are short, and weapons many. Best to park ego when you take your car out.
Old 2nd July 2016, 21:55   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Francis Xavier Barretto for sharing this video of a mad man in Hong Kong.
This can't be in Hong Kong. Most definitely in mainland.
Old 3rd July 2016, 08:52   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Not surprising at all considering they kick their women drivers in the face ...
Didn't understand the cause of the rage unless the man was a psychopath on drugs. If someone cuts you across badly may be I will honk loudly against it...not chase down the car and hit the driver.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th July 2016 at 17:12. Reason: Removing video from quoted post.
Old 6th July 2016, 20:31   #126
BHPian

Driving was a pleasure for me earlier, but nowadays it has become a stressful experience driving in Mumbai. I firmly believe that if we start respecting each other more and try to be calm instead to escalating an explosive situation, incidences of road rage will go down and we will have a much better travel experience. Also as my dad used to always say- follow the "Pehele Aap-You first" protocol, wherever possible. Believe me, it works wonders.
Old 14th July 2016, 18:45   #127
BHPian

Slightly OT but I was a victim of daylight extortion in Murugeshpalya. I was turning in from Airport Road going towards WindTunnel. A young biker without a helmet came out of nowhere and suddenly I heard swearing loudly and a bike going very fast. He tried to stop me and when I refused to say anything he parked his bike across the road and made me pull over. He claimed I had scratched his bike and he created a big scene. He even snatched away my car key but I managed to get it back since none of the bystanders came to his aid. I was very reasonable and I showed him an old scratch on my car and also claimed he had scratched it and I said we should go to the . So he changed tact and started threatening me to burn my car etc. Of course I did not budge so I too changed my stand and said that I accepted and I would replace the scratched wing. When I said this the bystanders left. This guy told me lets go and so we took a U-turn and headed back to airport road. He then stopped me and made me pullover. He argued long and loud and I kept my firm stand about re-imbursing. He pretended to call his so called violent friends and cohorts who would be beside themselves seeing the scratches on his bike. They he saw that I am not budging. He then came to the real thing. He said I should cough up 2000 or else he would do something on the road. Well I kept at it about going to the showroom and he said he didn't have the papers. Finally after whiling away 1/2 hour of logical arguments and a good show put up by this young man I gave him 1000 rupees and he drove off. I was scared a little and angry. The guy was speaking fairly irrelevant and changing tact all the time. Had I argueErtiga that passed by.
Anyway he has threatened me that he would go the RTO get my address and come home. Unfortunately my car is out-state registered and he won't get far but this registration was probably the cause that he picked an argument with me. Before leaving he took pics of my regn plates and I did the same and clicked photos of his bike.

Now I am going to trace his bike and maybe do some research on who this young man was. My guess is it was a borrowed bike and he needed some quick cash and I was the victim. I was really scared when he snatched the key from my car. But after getting it back I decided to call his bluff at every move.

Anyone face something similar.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 19:18   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Slightly OT but I was a victim of daylight extortion in Murugeshpalya.
Now I am going to trace his bike and maybe do some research on who this young man was.
Very unfortunate that you had to go through the ordeal. Have you noted down the number of the bike? I have always emphasized on having dash cams in the car. I know it's easy to say, but you could have called the cops straight away. Second, under no circumstances open the window or get down from your car, that's exactly the reason why he could snatch the keys. In my older cars I used to carry the spare keys in case if I face such an issue.
Old 15th July 2016, 09:54   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Very unfortunate that you had to go through the ordeal. Have you noted down the number of the bike? I have always emphasized on having dash cams in the car. I know it's easy to say, but you could have called the cops straight away. Second, under no circumstances open the window or get down from your car, that's exactly the reason why he could snatch the keys. In my older cars I used to carry the spare keys in case if I face such an issue.
Yes I took pics of the bike. Unfortunately not the biker.
Later yesterday night , I analysed this calmly and the obvious mistakes I made were
1) I reacted the first time he yelled at me not angrily and no foul language but I said "What happened ? Why you shouting" because I had no clue anyway.
2) My obvious lack of knowledge of the local language.
3) As you pointed out rolling down my window.I corrected this later when he tried to do the same stunt by asking me to give my phone so that he could call his cohorts. I stood my ground and he could do nothing.
4) I should have continued heckling and reasoning with him

Some things that actually worked in my favor -
1) Logical reasoning. The guy wanted me to pay a hefty amount but I managed to escape by paying him 1000 rupees.
2) None of his crony pals came to his aid else I would have a bad situation on my hands.
3) I offered to get his bike repaired and there he kinda lost it since he realised he aint going to get any cash.
4) None of the mob gathered said anything in his favor or supported me. They were neutral but since they did not support him he lost out.
5) I did not use , though tempted, any foul language. I showed a little anger but logical reasoning defeats anger.
6) He tried threatening me with all sorts of things including burning my car and other ridiculous things to which I did not react at all and kept my stand of helping his get his bike repaired which he was driving around.

I was in two minds whether to report this or not but then I do not want to escalate this. Also his confidence when I took pics of the bike told me that it was probably a borrowed or stolen bike maybe and I was never going to trace him anyway. I did get a number and it traced to some owner. But there is no address or phone number.
Old 15th July 2016, 10:20   #130
BHPian

Quote:
... My guess is it was a borrowed bike and he needed some quick cash and I was the victim....
Anyone face something similar.
@ambivalent

Sorry to know your ordeal. One of my cousins is in the field of human psychology. I remember once he explained the above behavior which is a textbook case of drug-addict in need of money to get "high". Such people can go to any extent to make money like stealing from parents etc.

I think you should report this incidence to the police. You never know how seemingly insignificant hints may help unravel big crimes. Anyway you have nothing to lose now.
Old 15th July 2016, 12:20   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly OT but I was a victim of daylight extortion in Murugeshpalya.

Sorry that you had to face this moron. This tactic changing thing is very common among the less educated and rowdy people. Probably because in their experience, one of these tactics generally works and they get what they want... and of course because logic is not involved in their daily lives.

Yes i have faced this issue. I dont know is this will tantamount to roadrage.

I was on my way to work when one of those gas cylinder rickshaws was parked to the side at a slight slope in one of the alleys close to my place. Just as i was slowly rolling past, the guy left the rear gate ajar and moved away. Because of the slope, the door swung open and hit my driver side door and got stuck between it and the rick itself. i stopped and backed off realizing that the driver side door was not opening.

In the meanwhile the rick guys are packing up in a hurry, planning to run off. i started the car and blocked them off. Told them to stop and they have to sort out the damage to my car. They (there were 3 guys) agreed. So i led them to a nearby field (used for marriages.) Then the games began.

1) First tactic is one all NCR idiots (which is majority of the population) use. Aggression. The driver shouted saying i have hit his gate and he is at no fault. The first thing i did was clicked a pic of the driver, his rickshaw and the damage to my car. The only way to handle this is to shout back proving that you wont just bend over. The moment i roared back at him, he cooled down immediately (this shows that he was never really angry. just )

2) Second tactic was Phone-a-friend. He called some contact of his. And a few minutes later, a pseudo-neta came in his white Scorpio. The thing i did when he came is click a pic of him (risky... i know, but i was running on adrenaline by then). Fortunately that put him on the backfoot. I was wearing formal office clothes and spoke to him in clear english. That worked. He scolded the driver for letting this happen and told him to pay me a measly 1500 buck for my troubles. By then i had called my local mech and confirmed that the whole thing would cost me about 8k. So i said no cigar. There was a slight argument, and then it was decided that we would go to a mech in sector 41 known to the neta who would fix the issue and whatever cost would be handled by the driver. I agreed. So i asked him to sit in my car and come with me.

3) Last tactic is gareem-aadmi-hu. he started cribbing about how this would cause him huge financial damage. I decided to keep mum till we reached the mech and got things checked (i was worried that the door handle whatnots were broken). Fortunately that was not the case. The handle was just jammed due to the dent and a little pushing and pulling got it to work again. The mech charged 1k for this. The driver paid the full amount while whimpering like a puppy. I knew that denting and painting worth 3k was still left but he was a labour class guy. So i let him go.

I felt that i did handle this issue adequately but i was lucky because this happened in my locality and i have stayed in sector 41 before and had seen that mech several times. One thing is for sure. Always take pics, and keep cool till these morons try tactic number one. You dont actually have to be enraged, just show him that you too can raise your voice.

Lastly thing strategy worked in my case. Do not considering it as universally usable. Always analyse the situation calmly before acting.
naturaldisaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 13:08   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
I felt that i did handle this issue adequately but i was lucky because this happened in my locality and i have stayed in sector 41 before and had seen that mech several times. One thing is for sure. Always take pics, and keep cool till these morons try tactic number one. You dont actually have to be enraged, just show him that you too can raise your voice.
Boss I am sorry but I disagree. You did not handle it correctly. You were merely lucky. But life is too precious to take such chances in lawless lands that we call NCR. Your first mistake is to move away from scene of incident unless its blocking traffic. Second is to go to a empty field even if it is next to the main road. Lastly waiting for this so called neta/hooligan friend to come. They could have easily assaulted you, even use a weapon and what not. Your life is too precious. And these days money, or rather lack of it, can make people do crazy things without any logical thought. So next time do not indulge in these mischiefs is my humble suggestion to you.
Smile and move on with your life. No point in confronting anyone on the roads these days.

Edit; Remember when in Delhi, which is supposedly better in terms of law and order compared to the neighboring NCR areas, a dentist was beaten to death in front of his home sometime back. So even that feeling of "known area/my neighbourhood" is no longer valid or justified in our country. The only solution is to avoid these people like the plague even if you need to swallow your pride and ego.

Last edited by drmohitg : 16th July 2016 at 13:11.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 16:46   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Boss I am sorry but I disagree. You did not handle it correctly. You were merely lucky. But life is too precious to take such chances in lawless lands that we call NCR. Your first mistake is to move away from scene of incident unless its blocking traffic. Second is to go to a empty field even if it is next to the main road. Lastly waiting for this so called neta/hooligan friend to come. They could have easily assaulted you, even use a weapon and what not. Your life is too precious. And these days money, or rather lack of it, can make people do crazy things without any logical thought. So next time do not indulge in these mischiefs is my humble suggestion to you.
Smile and move on with your life. No point in confronting anyone on the roads these days.

Edit; Remember when in Delhi, which is supposedly better in terms of law and order compared to the neighboring NCR areas, a dentist was beaten to death in front of his home sometime back. So even that feeling of "known area/my neighbourhood" is no longer valid or justified in our country. The only solution is to avoid these people like the plague even if you need to swallow your pride and ego.
Yes ill agree with you say. I did realize this later on. But when someone damages your car, and tempers flare, its very difficult to control words and actions. I do admit that i was lucky and that field was full of locals folks i sometimes play cricket with. So that all gathered around us when all this happened. But yes, risky stuff. Then again, you cant let everyone walk over you in a place like this. I believe there are some times when one should fight, or we will just get more and more frustrated.

Guess we all need to really train ourselves to assert emotional control and not let frustration get the better of us. This is easier said than done in the Hellhole that is NCR
Old 16th July 2016, 17:12   #134
Team-BHP Support

This is REALLY difficult advice for BHP-ians who love their rides, but most of our road rage urges would probably go away if we treated our rides like the hunk of metal, plastic and glass they ultimately are.

I love my rides as much as anyone else on here, but would I pick a fight with someone for them? Nope. Nothing on my ride is irreparable, can't say the same for myself or a loved one riding with me, can I?

Not easy to practice, but a potential lifesaver esp. in today's times where everyone is ready to kill for a mere scratch, literal or figurative.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 08:31   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
This is REALLY difficult advice for BHP-ians who love their rides, but most of our road rage urges would probably go away if we treated our rides like the hunk of metal, plastic and glass they ultimately are.
It IS in reality, pieces of metal, plastic and glass which are readily available at the service station in case of needing repair. It is essential to know, especially in times like these that safe driving for ones own sake and for others should be of highest importance, only next comes actually enjoying the drive (if one ever can - all the good, formerly empty road stretches in Bangalore have gone to hell today).

Quote:
would I pick a fight with someone for them? Nope. Nothing on my ride is irreparable, can't say the same for myself or a loved one riding with me, can I?
Exactly, money is replaceable to an extent.. health on the other hand is a gamble. Too many people have begun to say "I woulda slapped him" or "I controlled my temper else...", I'd be interested to know what would've happened had they gone through with their primal urge. I'm trained in self-defence, not a martial artist by any stretch of imagination but I know things that 99% untrained people cannot possibly even imagine. The only thing this taught me is to hold my calm.. even if I'm pushed to the wall. To this day I've not used what I know and I'm happy for that.

Trained people do not see what untrained people see - a man coming in swinging his arm would be perceived as a danger normally.. to someone with training he/she'd see a fool who's exposed his chest and core body to receiving damage. Self-defence training automatically trains ones eyes to seek out unprotected areas of the aggressors body and to use the same force of an object (stick) or hand coming towards them and re-direct it to cause more damage. Reacting out of anger is perhaps the poorest decision one can make, specially when their only idea of fighting comes from Bollywood movies. Size doesn't matter either, a very calm thinking, highly trained guy or girl can bring an untrained gym bozo to tears in seconds.

The point of this is not me telling people to get trained.. rather just requesting people to follow ALL road rules, speed limits, be extra courteous when the situation calls for it and just act like a society overall. For all else there is insurance for car dents and that little bit of cash lying extra in the bank for scratches. If everyone are careful together we may possibly not have incidents at all.

Everyone who waits for you at home is in the end, the most important there ever can be. Be a road sage, not rage.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed