Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 20:26   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Today in one of the side roads of Bangalore. I'm not sure why this man was in such a hurry. There was a queue of vehicles waiting for a truck to enter a warehouse when our man, jumps the queue and tries to cut in front of me. I would have let him, but I had not noticed him. Then He starts blaring the horn from behind me. I stick near the median giving him space to overtake from the left, but he stays behind. He continues honking startling the people around so I stop. He comes on to my left and starts elocuting in flawless Kannada using flowery words. I just wonder why these things happen.
Just to inform, I was on my way to pick up my kids from school. All the school bus drivers are known to me and some even are my patients. So I don't think I was in any real danger.
You should just show the camera and tell them to mind their business. Trying to make them understand the situation is of no use. Just tell them you have everything recorded and will show him. Then they will change their tone. Typical illiterate village guys with delicate egos. If it were a seasoned driver he should have simply overtook you and carried on with his business. Instead, he can't do that but ouch, someone cut into his lane and he needs to show off his vocabulary.

On the other hand, if I have these specimens honking at me and the road ahead is clear, they will just disappear from my RVM. These are the guys who lug the car at the center of the road at 40kmph as if they own the streets. Also, in such situations, its better to just carry on and give him another chance to overtake. Never stop and try to have a word. These ego freaks dont usually confront themselves and when they are confronted, they really cant justify, leading so dirty talk like this. In fact to be frank, I have heard worse language when there is a cabbie cabbie rift. There is a vocabulary-bee contest that happens which will later turn into a fist fight, and so on. This is pure entertainment. Hence, it is best to leave those classes of people to deal with their own types. We shouldnt do the same with them.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th August 2017 at 20:50.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 09:18   #227
Senior - BHPian

Cricketer Ambati Rayudu got into an altercation + came to blows with a middle aged pedestrian. The video in this tweet starts with both of them exchanging foul language in Telugu, before Rayudu steps out of his car and starts trying to beat up the pedestrian, while both are restrained by passers by.

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/903236166509510656
Old 1st September 2017, 10:48   #228
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today in one of the side roads of Bangalore. I'm not sure why this man was in such a hurry.
It is sad that you had to go through this ordeal. I've come across such imbeciles myself. A rule of thumb that I follow if they start honking behind me is to just let them pass. If they pull up and start getting confrontational and abusive, just roll-up your windows and save yourself from their tirade and let them drive past. Any gesturing with hands or verbal volleys will only instigate them further.

You are most likely to catch-up with them at the next intersection/junction and they end up looking like fools.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 16:21   #229
Senior - BHPian

Saw this road rage incident video in FB.

Old 8th September 2017, 16:41   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

From that link:
Quote:
Legends says he's still screaming "Bahar aa.."
This was one of the craziest videos, I have seen in a long time.
Good that the car guy did not get out as it might have escalated really bad.

Reminded me of an old road rage incident, I was involved in.
Heavy traffic and behind me was a car that kept honking like crazy. I turned around from my bike and asked the guy if he wanted me to fly over traffic. Since his car windows were up, I did this by sign language.

He started screaming his head off. Now the guy is inside a car. Windows up. No sound is getting out. All I can see is him moving his face in the funniest way possible. I could not control myself and started laughing.

He found that was worse and came out of his car and snatched my bike keys. I am still laughing because this is ludicrous.

I can fight him but its a long traffic jam and honestly why delay others who are stuck behind us.
So I tell him to return my keys.

He tells me that, I should sit in his car and come along so he can teach me a lesson.

As he said that I am looking down at him. Now I am not a tall guy. But he was a good 5-6 inches shorter than me. I am also considerably larger than him. As he looks into my eyes, I can see a spark. A tiny spark inside that told him that this is not going to turn out the way he wants it.

He throws my keys towards my bike. I walk and pick them up. He sits inside his car. Then traffic moves. We go our way.

Now you may wonder what made me react so calmly.
I have kids.

This boy behaved like young son used to when he an infant and spoiled his diapers.
bblost is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 17:01   #231
BHPian

Quote:

I read the comments under the FB post. It appears that this guy was angry because this driver almost ran over 2 pedestrians while driving up to this signal. This guy was helping out strangers by trying to get the driver to step out of the car.
Yusha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 17:41   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
I read the comments under the FB post. It appears that this guy was angry because this driver almost ran over 2 pedestrians while driving up to this signal. This guy was helping out strangers by trying to get the driver to step out of the car.
Might be true or might not be (No idea as the person in the car has not said his part) but still that does not warrant him to act like that. Note down the number and file an FIR is what he should have done.
Old 8th September 2017, 18:04   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today in one of the side roads of Bangalore. I'm not sure why this man was in such a hurry.
Looks familiar area to me, is it behind Vivanta YPR ? Such guys are all around the city. I see this species mostly at signals ! Last month a private innova driver was tailing me in a hurry at Hebbal signal, but not going ahead in spite of giving way. I had to turn left, his route was straight towards Manyata. Signal turned green, as soon as I put the left signal, he rushed in full speed, came infront, braked hard, opened the door and came towards me. I had nothing to do with that behaviour, because there was plenty of space for him to pass or wait for me to turn and disappear. Worst situation is all this happening right under the hebbal flyover where 3 roads have to cross each other at signal changes. This man made me touch his rear bumper by his hard braking, now his argument is "why did I delay to put the left indicator" ? Certain questions have no explanation on road. I see majority of drivers turning wherever and whenever without any respect for the people around. Now keeping the indicator ON was a fault !! Anyway, I called him to the extreme left with the cars, gave my card and told him "if you have any issues, call me later". He had no say !! All this while the cops at the centre median were just staring at the whole thing !! Unfortunately my dash cam was memory full and no footage to prove my point My general feeling towards such incidents is the EGO playing high with such silly minds. They will honk when there is no space to pass. They will fight for stopping at signal. They will be tailing you to find a reason to fight. Best option is to stay calm and smile. There is nothing we can do about it !

Quote:
Wow, proves how dangerous its to fight with someone inside the car with the engine still running ! He would have gone under the wheels !
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 13:29   #234
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just heard the sad story of a friend of mine.

He's waiting at a red light in his Skoda Superb. Biker rear-ends him and falls down. My friend steps out to check the damage, if the biker is hurt etc. A small discussion happens (nothing loud or argumentative) and a crowd gathers. Moments later, the biker hits him on the head with a hard object. He's knocked out and is in the ICU for 5 - 6 days.

He's back home now and has started walking, but it's a month or two before full recovery.

What on earth is the world coming to? Even right now, we have two active threads on physical violence.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 00:43   #235
Team-BHP Support

Nearly became a victim myself yesterday night.

Riding my scooter @20kmph in a residential lane, I slow down for a speed breaker before a T-junction, and a biker nearly swipes my front wheel off cutting across from the blind left ahead. I curse inside my helmet and move on.

Another scooterist, apparently on my right, thinks I'd cursed him and comes chasing. I couldn't have because he was riding with his lights off and I hadn't spotted him at all in my mirrors in the dark, which I duly point out.

This enrages the gentleman, who imparts this pearl of wisdom: " Lights and indicators are for oncoming traffic, why do you need to look behind?" He also wants to know where I'm from because I'd cursed in Hindi. Make of that what you will.

I notice the missing mirrors on his scooter, regret saying anything and we both are about to move on, when a road warrior uncle stops by and begins threatening to hit me, and that I should try becoming a cop if I'm so concerned about traffic rules. He proudly proclaims he's been riding without headlamps for a week.

I know I've already said too much and stayed too long, I apologise for pointing out their missing lights, say they're free to ride as they please and leave the scene.

What is the world coming to?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd December 2017 at 00:52. Reason: Typo
Chetan_Rao is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:49   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just heard the sad story of a friend of mine.

He's back home now and has started walking, but it's a month or two before full recovery.
Very eerily similar to a colleague of mine a few years back in Delhi. Was returning from Faridabad; stopped at a signal. Two (semi-drunk) guys in a bike come and hit him from the rear; he gets out to see the damage and check on them.

They start abusing him instead; and by then another bike arrives with 2 more of the same group. A few minutes later, they beat him up - he ends up in hospital with a broken bone and a few weeks of recuperation.
Old 20th December 2017, 19:59   #237
BHPian

This incident happened in early 2013 (I was 18 then & recently got my DL). Me, Mom & Dad were traveling in our Punto. In this narrow road there was a huge traffic jam, we were stuck in one place for about 5 minutes, then my Dad decided to get down & have a better look at the jam. (Note- my Dad was in the front seat & my Mom at the back seat).

Next the vehicle in front of me moves a few meters & I too start to move, then suddenly a Pulsar cuts in front of me & I somehow manage to stop the car inches from him. This pissed me off a bit, I flashed my high beams once & honked 2-3 times. Next I know is the Pulsar guy is on my window, I roll down the window & it seems after seeing the passenger seat unoccupied & my Mom on the backseat he assumed I was a chauffeur. The pulsar guy & his pillion (a lady) both ask me to get down but I didn't get down & instead rolled up my windows, then the Pulsar guy reached out for my door handle (thankfully I had locked the doors).

In the meantime the traffic in front of us had somewhat cleared, I tried to escape from the spot & look for a cop. The Pulsar in full filmy style cuts me off & parks his bike in front of me perpendicularly. But this time a small crowd had gathered & I could sense that this was not going to end well. Just in time my Dad appeared from nowhere & he pretended that he didn't knew us, asked the Pulsar guy to show where he was hit.

The pulsar guy must have thought my dad was a police officer or something, his voice suddenly dropped & said he was not hit anywhere. Then my Dad asked both of us to move out as there was no damage to either of the parties. The biker drove off & I also moved my car from the spot, parked 200-300 m ahead to let Dad in. I was badly shaken by this incident.

The things I learned/follow after this incident are-

1) People seem to bring their personal/ official problems on to the road.

2) If someone cuts you (both 2/4 wheeler), let them pass as their is no point in honking & flashing lights.

3) If someone wants to overtake you badly, change lanes/ slow down & let them pass.

4) A smile goes a long way in calming a situation.

5) If possible don't get off the vehicle.

6) If you have to get off then speak in a polite but firm manner.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 20th December 2017 at 20:01.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 20:33   #238
Senior - BHPian

I always find valuable advise, like just let them go past even if they bully you, don't get into trouble, but other side of me thinks letting them inflate their ego will only make them worse in the long term! just a thought.

If I am not with my family I do confront them, but less aggressively, once you infuse some logic in a calm way, they do cool down and realise their mistake.

Anything that would make situation worse is absolute no no, but it's good habit to infuse some shame into people who are half way into becoming maniacs, only because no one questioned them.

But be prepared for it to back fire, once a auto guy told I should thank him for not beating me up, issue was him cutting me off and me asking what was he doing. I don't let such puny minds to dent my feelings.
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:43   #239
BHPian

I had one incident in the past which left me shaken, but looking back I am thankful that I perhaps did the right thing ( though I contributed to starting the situation - and it was a big mistake from my side ).

A busy traffic signal, and the light was green, and I was on the extreme right lane, going straight. but a whole bunch of two wheelers who are waiting to take a right turn from the opposite side, cut in front of me ( before my signal turned red ).

I was half way through the intersection when this happened and I had to break really hard ( thankfully I wasnt rearended. And I did make one mistake at that time - I honked really hard and long and gesticulated these folks to move aside. But these two-wheeler riders were suddenly trapped in front of me as they couldn't proceed further ahead as the traffic was flowing on the lanes to the left of mine.

Things escalated very quickly from there - I was trying to move forward through the gap between two-wheelers, but one smart guy backed up his two wheeler from my left side to graze my front left fender slightly, and that was the trigger they all needed.

Very quickly I had an extremely aggressive mob around me ( mostly the two wheeler riders - about twenty of them - they just aligned very quickly to the idea of having to teach this bad car driver a lesson.

people banging on my bonnet, banging on my driver side glass, one guy actually waving his helmet dangerously at my windshield, two people on either side of the car trying to yank the rearwiew mirror off , and choicest of abuses being hurled around.

All this happened far too quickly before I could grasp what was going on.

It was a surreal experience for me - like watching a movie. The car engine was running, and I had my windows up all the way.

The right rearview mirror glass fell off eventually, and the aggression was escalating further, with three or four people asking me to roll down my driver side window, with murder in their eyes, and abuses flying out of their mouths.

I was trying my best to stay in control, and realised that apologising was the best thing to de-escalate, and, rolled down my driver window an inch ( was a very delicate moment as I didnt want the window to go all the way down in auto mode).

the moment the window was down they started thrusting their hands in, but not quite successful - and I kept on repeating that I am sorry for what happened, and please let me go, in as calm a voice as possible, without shouting ( my heart was racing). and I was making similar gestures even before the window was rolled down.

there was one guy closest to my window who was the most aggressive and who was taking on the role of mob leader at that point of time, and he abused me and asked me how dare I try these stunts in Maharashtra ( this car of mine has an out-of-state number), and some abuses at the people of the state the car was registered in.

I repeated my sorry to him again and told that it was a mistake, and didnt try to argue.

All of a sudden he said - ok, carry on ... and to others - jaane do, jaane do. And while he was saying this, one guy picked up the rearview mirror glass ( which wasnt broken) from the road and handed it over to me through the gap in the window.

The crowd in front of the car moved aside quickly, probably after having felt that I have been "taught a lesson" , and I moved forward from there.

I think I was lucky to escape unhurt , and in hindsight, my non-threatening attitude possibly helped to de-escalate things. I was caught in a mob frenzy and could have taken some amount of beating for sure if I had attempted to roll my window down or step out of the car.

And I also had to tell myself never to show any aggression on the road, even if I have been wronged. A long honk and a small nick started all of this.

I have always considered myself a sane driver, but looking back, I had lost my cool in a few occasions , but this one definitely gave me some lessons. Nowadays I just let people do their thing on the road and not try to show my disapproval in any way. There is no point.

... and one last point - all those yanking , pulling the door handles, banging was taken up quite well by my i20.. that was one time I thanked the decent build of the car..

Last edited by Bigzero : 22nd December 2017 at 09:51.
Bigzero is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:23   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
there was one guy closest to my window who was the most aggressive and who was taking on the role of mob leader at that point of time, and he abused me and asked me how dare I try these stunts in Maharashtra ( this car of mine has an out-of-state number), and some abuses at the people of the state the car was registered in.
Not to sound like a racist, we'll maybe a little, but that's the mentality of the people. King in familiar crowd.

Now for the 'racy' part, a 'specific' type of these biker drive very differently than they would in familiar territory as opposed to how they would in unknown, because there they're not surrounded by their 'types'.

In the whole of Maharashtra, these 'local' type of people feel a ridiculous bond because of the same language they speak & the same fairly tale they believe in. And somehow owning a bike makes them sympathize with the economic situation of the other & the further bond escalates. At this point it's a 'brother from another mother' situation.

I believe you took the right call, no point stooping to their level. Life has already not been kind enough to them & such people generally end up not moving forward as well. Karma will strike them back.
rohansachar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed