Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 12:43   #256
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo_romeo View Post
similar incidents ..NO honk Challenge ....
In the second video, driver got the taste of his on medicine at 1:55, when the truck ahead of him changed lanes abruptly, similar to what he did to you at 1:09. Not sure if the truck used indicators to change lanes.

The D-Zire in entire video hogged all the available lanes (as Locusjag suggested); however not even a single instance of his indicators being used. I am dead sure he would have cursed his hearts out to the truck for changing lanes that way. For something he himself was not following >> use indicators while changing lanes & use RVMs(I/O) to look for a speeding vehicle before changing lanes, specially when not using indicators.
Hope he learns to use them either the easy way or the heard way.

I hope you were using the indicators.
Really appreciate you taking the (no) honking challenge seriously

Last edited by noopster : 15th March 2018 at 01:38. Reason: VDO = video. Please do not use SMS language on the forum
Old 15th March 2018, 10:04   #257

Thanks for that, we really appreciate and encourage avoiding use of horn as much as possible, infact one of my friend has a sticker on his cars rear windshield" I don't horn, Would you?". I will ask him to send a picture of that.
bravo_romeo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 11:19   #258
BHPian

Finally, I had to take part in the road rage unwanted.

It all happened with me on the last day of my board exams. So, after I completed my exam, my close pal and his dad offered me and a couple of my friends to drop at a bus stop or a metro station near by since it was a hot day. We obliged and got into my friend's car.

We started our journey from our exam centre towards a nearby bus or metro station. I was seated along the rear left window of their car. So, at a point near a junction, we had a free left. But sadly that lane was blocked by some guy who wanted to go right . Nonetheless, my friend's dad and me kept our cool and did nothing but wait.

As we were waiting for that bloke to give us way, an autowaala used the pavement made for the foot passengers to get rid of traffic. At a point on the pavement, there was a puncture shop ahead of him, so the guy had to join back onto the road. As a result, he tries to join on the road. Exactly at this point of time, he starts honking like a maniac which made my uncle go mad. I said him to concentrate on the drive and said I'll take care of this guy.

So I downed my window and here is how went the conversation :

Me : Bhaiya, aap itna horn kyun bajaa rahein ho? (Brother, why are you honking so much?)
Autowaala : Meri marzi Hain. Gaadi mein horn Hain bajaane ke liye (My wish, I honked because my auto is equipped with a horn)
Me : Aap ek baat bolo ki aap aise kaise footpath use Kar rahe ho. Footpath chalne waalon ke liye Bana Hain, aap Jaise logon ke liye gaadi chalaane ke liye nahin (Tell me one thing. Footpath is meant for the foot passengers and not for people like you to drive on).

Till this point, I kept my cool and spoke to him with a basic sense of respect

Autowaala : Meri Marzi Hain. Tu kaun Hain bolne waala. Chal phoot (It's my wish. Who are you to question me? Get lost from my sight!)

I completely lost my cool at this point of time. I had enough speaking to him in a polite way. I had to show him my other side. I took out my phone to click a pic of the registration plate of the auto.

Autowaala : Arey, photo kyun keench rahan Hain? (Why are you taking a pic of the vehicle?)
Me : Ab Tu rukh, tera license cancel Nahin karvaaya tho Dekh (You just wait and watch. I'll report this to the concerned authorities and get your driving license cancelled)

At this point of time, he still tries to squeeze in. In this attempt, he managed to hit our car's bumper. I completely lost it. At this point of time, my friend took out his phone and started recording the rest of the incident. See the video below :

At this point of time, I really had enough and gave him my piece of mind. He got mum for a while and in the meanwhile, the guy ahead went to the right and thus we proceed through our lane.

So this is what had happened to me.

Lesson learnt : No matter how much you respect these kind of fools on the Indian roads, they don't have the minimum sense of gratitude while speaking.

Varun

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th March 2018 at 11:59. Reason: typo
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 17:02   #259
kkg
BHPian

Road rage in words of my friend Shankar Batla:-

Thinking about road rage,
People are trapped in their own cage;
The cage made up of their own ego,
Doesn’t let them hear the right echo;
On road, to feed their fake self respect,
They seem to forget the lawful aspect;
Emotionless and with uncontrolled anger,
Carrying life as if hung on a hanger;
Not realising hanger’s fact of the matter,
It always has lifeless things on its platter;
They often drive fast at their own will,
As if they have got licenses to kill;
With stress and an optimistic illusion ,
Life never ends is their utmost confusion;
Driving fast seems to them as laurels,
Deliberately they are killing their morals;
Losing on ethics, they are ready for a fight,
Without knowing actually whose time is tight;
Evilness is present in their attitude,
Far away from the meaning of gratitude;
The gratitude towards god & its creations,
To understand this, would require generations;
Hot blooded on road is a part of their rage,
Even gods don’t come for a rager’s salvage.
kkg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:44   #260
Senior - BHPian

Replying to this post in the Road Rage thread, since this is a better place to discuss this incident
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Bus Driver Beaten Up For Overtaking "Dangerously" In Kerala's Palakkad

Source: Link to NDTV news
Three persons have been booked by the police in connection with this incident. The driver says that a tipper lorry passed by, spewing thick smoke and consequently reducing his visibility. He slowed the bus down and gradually came to a stop. The assailants who were drunk, claimed that the bus hit their vehicle and started hitting the driver. However, the conductor and the others in the bus deny having seen the bus hitting the other vehicles, which were a part of a wedding party.

More information in these links:

https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...uth-video.html

https://www.manoramanews.com/news/br...lakkad-29.html

Quote:
This may not be the right way to handle the situation, but the way some buses are driven, this was bound to happen some day.
Similar incidents happen quite often, this one incident was captured by a passenger and spread in social media. Most others don't manage to get such publicity and are left behind within minutes or hours.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 22:20   #261
Team-BHP Support

This is not a video on road rage but rather a stark reminder of just how strong and weak an average person can be.

It took just one punch to end this man's life.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8296356.html

There are no winners in a fist fight.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 01:31   #262
BHPian

I'm sharing this on behalf of my father.

My father was driving his car like he does every day to his office. This incident happened at a junction in Noida, UP at a traffic signal. A rider on a Bullet-500 squeezed himself into the little right space that was maintained as a clearance between the road divider and my father's car. Since the car's right blinker was already put on and my father was in the rightmost lane, he started driving right from the traffic junction once the signal was green. The Bulleteer wanted to go the wrong way, accelerated way too hard and tried to cut off the car. The situation didn't go as planned for him. Although the hit was pretty minor, the rider toppled off his bike and hit the tarmac. My father got out of the car and helped the guy up while apologising even though the rider was at fault, to which the rider expressed rage and started demanding money for his exhaust which he claimed, 'came off' as the result of the hit. My father decided not to fall prey to his atrocious demands. As a result, the rider got aggressive. My father refused to exchange any money without a police officer present and also wanted to move on as the signal had turned green and didn't want to obstruct the flow of traffic; naturally, he stepped into his car and fired the engine up and noticed the biker approaching the front of the car. The biker started slamming on the hood of the car and my father was forced to rev the car to scare off the rider as he stood unmoved by the horn. Once the road cleared, my father began driving and noticed that the rider started following him and was on the phone. As soon as my father reached the nearest police station, the rider disappeared. (Potential crisis averted?)

This seemed like a purely opportunistic move by the rider and was uncalled for since no damage transpired to either parties' vehicles or the rider himself.
This goes on to show the sheer number of malicious elements on our roads and how a wrong move on a two-wheeler may tip off the rider. My best guess is, once the incident took place, the rider decided to extort some quick cash out of a man in his late 50s. Let me know if my father could have dealt better with the situation. Stay safe guys.
typlo is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 23:07   #263
Senior - BHPian

This happened today.
Was on link road going towards Andheri. At the junction before Goregaon bus depot, the road gets narrow thanks to the metro work. I indicated with the left indicator to make sure anyone begins would be aware. A black Audi with DN registration came racing from behind and tried to cut in from the left, although there was no space. His mirror hit mine and i stopped the car. I stopped there for ten seconds and was fuming.i calmed down and moved forward. I seen him still trying to race and overtake rashly. I remained in the center lane ensuring he wouldn't try to get ahead. When the road widened up I moved to the side so he could pass by. He came forward and blocked me. I wound the window down and he spoke in Marathi. I'm guessing because he wanted to check I was Maharashtrian too or not. I didn't reply in Marathi although I wanted to, but it isn't that great.

Anyways then came the round of expletives and insults and all I asked him was why was he trying to overtake me when there wasn't any place to do so. And he continued to rain his abuses to which I was really amused for what education, upbringing, understanding he had. Within the abuses he asked me if I had the "aukat" to drive an Audi, whether my car belonged to a mantri, whether I know the implications of dealing with a Marathi, among others. And I'm still wondering how does all this relate to how to drive a car responsibly and safely and my question on why he was attempting his overtake when there was absolutely no place to do so.

And the strange part was he was wearing a Salman Khan bracelet.

At no point in the argument did I abuse him or insulted him. I kept my cool and let him lose his cool without agitating him further. To my mind I was thinking that the Audi's power had gone to his head, and that he was driving a car that he himself didnt purchase with his earnings. He was too young for that.

Nevertheless, I wish he matures soon and although I try to be patient and sane, I think I may have done a bit to agitate him when I blocked him.

Its okay for today. We both cooled off and went on.
Gordon is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 10:03   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
whether I know the implications of dealing with a Marathi, among others. And I'm still wondering how does all this relate to how to drive a car responsibly and safely and my question on why he was attempting his overtake when there was absolutely no place to do so.
Excellent way of handling the situation. Kudos to you for keeping your calm. 'These' people are rowdy and loud when they're in familiar territory where they feel safe knowing mob mentality will come to their aid. I always keep these local hero's at arms length. Great job!
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 22:55   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Anyways then came the round of expletives and insults and all I asked him was why was he trying to overtake me when there wasn't any place to do so. And he continued to rain his abuses to which I was really amused for what education, upbringing, understanding he had. Within the abuses he asked me if I had the "aukat" to drive an Audi, whether my car belonged to a mantri, whether I know the implications of dealing with a Marathi, among others.
The simple answer to why he behaved the way he did: due to self entitlement and imagined superiority. And 99% of bad drivers behave the way they do because of that. They never own up a mistake because to them, they're not making a mistake anyway, ignorance of traffic law and laws in general is the way to go for them. Yours isn't an isolated case. Ive noticed that as soon as a bad driver spots a little space between you and the car right ahead of you, he tries to overtake your car even if the traffic is moving at a similar speed due to more animal instincts than a civilized human.
The overtakes frequently go wrong due to negligence on part of bad drivers, sometimes resulting in an accident with oncoming traffic, or on your bad day, shocking altercations for no fault of yours. Drivers in India need formal training. But then again, we have much bigger problems as a society (including the incidents nowadays regarding crimes against women, etc.).
This ignorant and incompetent behaviour won't take us far.
Coming to my point, these 'netas' and their offsprings are frequently involved in road incidents because of lack of education, spoiled upbringing and power to beat someone up without repurcussions in this lawless land. As pointed out in the first post in this thread, the best option would be to let them vent off the steam and not get involved. Good to know that you escaped safely. STAY SAFE. DRIVE SAFE.
typlo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 15:47   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstlnt View Post
Wonder, if one could maintain calm the same way, when his precious car was hit, for no fault on him
I really can't say.

What i can say is that my reaction was in no way connected or proportional to the damage suffered by me and my ride. It couldn't be, as it was only after that coward ran away that i had time to look at both.

What one does in such situations is dependent on a lot of things, our upbringing being one of them. When I sensed that the boy would speed away, I had a rush of adrenaline and my first instinct was to push him down. I didn't do that because he was still a boy; because he could be severely hurt, specifically on his un-helmeted head; because another vehicle could have run him over - it is a busy road.

There was also the possibility of an instantaneous mob raining abuses on me for trying to assault a poor, helpless boy. Umpteen possibilities.

Unlike the typical my car is a treasure mentality that afflicted me in the initial years of car ownership, I am more level headed now. My order of safety is

ME & MY FAMILY>THE PEDESTRIAN>THE PASSENGERS OF THE OTHER CAR/S>MY CAR>THE OTHER CAR.

The question of who is at fault is always a mud slinging match. In the instant case, the boy (if he had not run away) could claim that it was I who suddenly braked and therefore he had no time to react. The fault would then be apportioned to the weakest of the two parties - the yardstick being money, influence, connections etc.

Last edited by dailydriver : 4th June 2018 at 15:48.
dailydriver is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 18:55   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I really can't say.

Unlike the typical my car is a treasure mentality that afflicted me in the initial years of car ownership, I am more level headed now. My order of safety is

ME & MY FAMILY>THE PEDESTRIAN>THE PASSENGERS OF THE OTHER CAR/S>MY CAR>THE OTHER CAR.

The question of who is at fault is always a mud slinging match. In the instant case, the boy (if he had not run away) could claim that it was I who suddenly braked and therefore he had no time to react. The fault would then be apportioned to the weakest of the two parties - the yardstick being money, influence, connections etc.
Wholeheartedly appreciate your perfect understanding of handling an accident. These are the nuances of safe driving, which we won't get it elsewhere.

I have handled many such accidents, as part of my portfolio, though I was not the driver / owner. Often, the situation is influenced and worsened by the factors, as you aptly quoted above. Any seasoned driver / car owner should set his priorities, foreseeing an untoward incident during every drive.

Yes. Every drive is unique and one need to quickly assimilate and arrive at a most logical and empathetic conclusion, setting aside the 'bruised ego'.
tstlnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 17:22   #268
BHPian

Driving on Bangalore roads is always a challenge. With so many Bikes, Autos and Taxi jostling for space along with the BMTC buses, delivery vehicles and private cars, one needs to have huge amount of patience to get from point A to Point B on these roads.

I generally avoid getting in to confrontation with others by simply not looking at the other person even if they are shouting their lungs off. Untill and unless they aren't blocking my path, i simply carry on. This ensures that am at peace and don't do something stupid.

Last saturday i was on my way to ETA mall to catch the latest flick. I was waiting at the sirsi circle signal under the mysore road flyover to take right towards the Binny mills road. I was on the extreme right lane.

When the signal turned green, i see an auto guy trying to take right so close to my car, i honked. I am sure there was no contact but the auto driver was enraged for no mistake of mine.

I generally ignore and move on my way as i find thats the easiest way to avoid the confrontation. But in this case the auto driver kept shouting at me. I lost patience and yelled back at him asking him to see properly when taking turn.

This enraged him even more and he wouldn't let me pass and kept blocking me from passing him. I honked and tried to pass but he all of a sudden he turned left and came straight in my lane

Had to jump on the brakes to ensure i didn't end up hitting his auto. He parked on the left and came out with his key ready to scratch my car but as the traffic on the right lane was clear i quickly moved to that lane and went on my way to the mall.

It was a hair raising experience and i could feel my heart beating out my of chest! looking back i should have simply let that idiot carry on instead of yelling at him.
ant_vas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 09:44   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
looking back i should have simply let that idiot carry on instead of yelling at him.
Well I can resonate with this and there have been situations where I have actually got into a verbal confrontation which resulted in nothing but raised BP. On the contrary I have also tried this - Break and stop, look at the "auto thug" into the eye and then give one of your most sarcastic smiles and with a hand gesture show him or atleast give him the feel that he is the king of the road and allow him to pass. Trust me, the kind of reaction this generates is worth seeing. They will realize their foolishness and in turn will smile back with a nonverbal apology! - Disgusting idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
It all happened with me on the last day of my board exams. Varun
How did your boards go? Well I liked your typical "Hydrabadi Hindi" and was laughing till I could take it no more . The auto guy's face was worth seeing.

Last edited by noopster : 4th July 2018 at 10:09. Reason: Merged back to back posts
sumathindra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 10:33   #270
Senior - BHPian

Been travelling more in the past few months, unfortunately no one really cares about hatchback, as if it wouldn't hurt if a hatchback hits them(bikers). Would love to own something like this, just to conserve my inner peace add trucks, private company staff buses(worst drivers in the universe I say) and you have recipe for high BP at an relatively young age

Most Viewed