Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2013, 11:00   #31
BHPian

Re: 2015 - New Safety and Emission regulations coming up!

I know this is absolutely 'Off Topic',

But I feel no matter the norms and other superficial regulations that the government is forcing upon manufacturers (BS5/6 or 7) or buyers (ban on sunfilms etc); till the time they decide to mend roads, potholes etc. there is hope!

Everyday I drive / ride to office on pathetic roads, from Mira Road in Mumbai to Bandra and baring a miniscule stretch in Goregaon none of the roads are even driveable.

Paying taxes, tolls for roads built is an eyewash since none of us or most of us will not have the time to even take a RTO incharge at task when he leaves certain people with black tint on their cars.

There are trucks parked on the side of the road and there are issues with movement of traffic; the octroi guys have to collect dues and are not bothered if the trucks are parked on the highway as there is no other space to park. Just a few days back I saw 3 ambulances honking (same day at 3 different locations) in the evening for movement due to the jam. I shudder to imagine what must be the plight of the family members who are left traumatized just to take their dear ones to the desired hospital.

For the RTO; his job is to look at traffic discipline and the one who makes the road is no where to be seen. And even if one breaks his back on these roads; its not a problem cos someone is making money at your expense

Why dont they just stop all the cars, fine them or remove the tint if that is the norm and it has to be the same for anyone who drives!?

Did not want to vent my angst about the conditions of traffic / roads here....but these regulations are nothing but a complete 'hogwash' of what has to be addressed primarily.
Old 15th March 2013, 11:03   #32
BANNED

@samarjitdhar; They will only sell in Bengal and Tier-II cities (officially that is, which will be BS-IV in 3015). Of course a vehicle from Kanpur Dehat (Ramabai Nagar) may spend all its life in Kanpur City.
Old 15th March 2013, 12:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Did not want to vent my angst about the conditions of traffic / roads here....but these regulations are nothing but a complete 'hogwash' of what has to be addressed primarily.
+100. Actually even the standard pollution check that is done at the PUC centers I have seen is a hogwash. Specially for older cars and bikes I have seen the PUC center guys making adjustments to the fuel injection specially for bikes and scooters to help them dodge the pollution norms. I was waiting for my PUC testing done when I saw so many two wheelers just having the PUC center attendant performing some adjustments because the default pollution readings for these two wheelers showed failure in compliance. For cars it is difficult and one has to go and ensure that adequate maintenance is performed for old cars in the service centers to ensure compliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@samarjitdhar; They will only sell in Bengal and Tier-II cities (officially that is, which will be BS-IV in 3015). Of course a vehicle from Kanpur Dehat (Ramabai Nagar) may spend all its life in Kanpur City.
Though OT sir but are there any purchases of the Amby in rural areas? I mean the rest of India outside Kolkata actually I think have moved to Boleros and Maxxes for mass transport. Even government departments do not purchase Ambys any more. The only reason Amby sells about 200-300 in number every month is because I think in Kolkata 15 year old taxis that have to be phased out are replaced due to the high court order in force. If they don't these taxi owners will lose their licenses to operate.

Quote:
officially that is, which will be BS-IV in 3015
I am sure 3015 is a typo but that sounds like the more probable time frame by which HM will have their BSIV version out .

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 15th March 2013 at 12:13.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:41   #34
BHPian

Even if existing emission norms can bee strictly implemented, we would be much better off. Read the article in today's TOI. I have seen that most of the PUC checking vans in Hyderabad are just an eyewash. They are only interested in collecting the fees and issuing the sticker. Most of the time their equipment is not working and false readings are entered in the certificate.

"The primary reason for this excessive rise in air pollution in the city is the rampant use of adulterated fuel," explained S Jeevanand Reddy, convener of Forum for Sustainable Environment, who has been extensively studying the trend (of pollution) since 2000. Elaborating on it further, he said, "While the shooting benzene presence can be attributed to the burning of waste (wood, coal, etc) in the open, apart from industrial emissions, the jump in count of dust particle is only due to vehicular traffic, especially lorries and other heavy vehicles, that have resorted to the use of adulterated fuel owing to escalating price of oil."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19117855.cms
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:57   #35
BANNED

They up the rating every five years, as BS-IV / III was 2010, 2015 is what it should be. Remember there is a relaxation of about six months, where the older spec cars can still be sold (to clear stocks!).

To me as much as the moonscapes masquerading as roads, it is the quality of fuels actually sold which is a big question. See the numerous threads on Reliable Pumps in .... which say a lot.
Old 25th March 2013, 14:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
I just love the way, they protect their small ones over there. People should have the same outlook here too.
In our nation, we see children being carried on 2-wheelers - they don't have helmets or dedicated seats and would not consider switching to a 4-wheeler or even attaching a sidecar. When kids insist on sitting in the front seat, their parents comply with their requests. The booster seats in India also cost more than what people can afford because they are marked up by retailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Would love to see this happening. This three wheel vehicle is dangerous on its own as well as for others. Putting in a fourth wheel will decrease its 'agility' and that will help a lot.
I would like to mention that calling 3-wheelers a nuisance and safety risk is a generalization. Sure, there are our auto-rickshaws that resemble the Reliant Robin in some respects (see the BBC Top Gear video with Jeremy Clarkson) but then there are scooters and motorcycles with fitted sidecars or even the trikes (with 2 rear wheels) in which that extra wheel adds to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Pedestrians to be fined for jaywalking / crossing the road at the wrong place when there is a zebra crossing or overhead crossing within 400 mtrs.
Fine Trucks and Autoricks and Taxis with more than 1 light not working.
BAN NEW THREE WHEELERS - Is the nano not safer and cheaper than an autorickshaw? Will Bajaj allow this.
My concern about banning all 3-wheelers is mentioned above in my post. Also, the working-lights laws aren't being implemented and the best thing they can do is have law enforcement officials with a bunch of battery-powered lights and reflectors forcibly sold to offenders in lieu of a fine and letting them pocket the profits. There is little we can do about pedestrians - we have pedestrians who hop out of buses and auto-rickshaws right in the middle of the road, and the motorists are at fault because pedestrians are never considered at fault. The same applies to cattle - they can turn at their own whims and walk across national highways but the motorist is at fault for any accidents that result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The steps sound interesting but there is nothing which prevents or aims to prevent smoke belching overloaded trucks on the highway, tractors and cargo autos in the city and horribly maintained buses from continuing to keep our country dirty. Correct?
For as long as the government plays to the desires of the aam aadmi with no spending at all, there is little that can be done. A cash-for-clunkers program would involve funds. People who had their land used for road-expansion will tell you about how long the wait is for any reimbursement of funds from government entities or subsidiaries.
Old 25th March 2013, 15:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I would like to mention that calling 3-wheelers a nuisance and safety risk is a generalization. Sure, there are our auto-rickshaws that resemble the Reliant Robin in some respects (see the BBC Top Gear video with Jeremy Clarkson) but then there are scooters and motorcycles with fitted sidecars or even the trikes (with 2 rear wheels) in which that extra wheel adds to safety.

My concern about banning all 3-wheelers is mentioned above in my post.

Lets not mix-match the term 3-wheelers with the other type of vehicles you had mentioned above.
The response that you see in this thread on 3-wheelers are mostly on the auto-rickshaws and not the others.
Agreed that it is a generalization though, but ~95:5 is too big a ratio to ignore the risk either.
Old 25th March 2013, 16:35   #38
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post

My concern about banning all 3-wheelers is mentioned above in my post. Also, the working-lights laws aren't being implemented and the best thing they can do is have law enforcement officials with a bunch of battery-powered lights and reflectors forcibly sold to offenders in lieu of a fine and letting them pocket the profits.
To be specific I meant the AutoRick. - (Newer Ones Only) since there are 4 wheeler options like the Nano (base model) that are as cheap to buy and run as the AutoRick while being much more safer for the occupants and others around both. Better Brakes, Better Stability, Better Occupant Safety, Better Pedestrian Safety, Similar Footprint, Cheaper.

Am not refering to Scooters with three wheels / sidecars. - Which are welcome for the specific applications that they provide.

Last edited by ACM : 25th March 2013 at 16:36.
Old 7th April 2013, 18:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Expected price hike is 1.5- 2.5%, but it seems worth with all the safety norms in place!

Quote:
With the introduction of a host of fresh safety and emission norms by the Indian government in 2015, carmakers have their work cut out.
Cars are set to cost 1.5-2.5 percent more and the prices of two-wheelers will go up by two percent
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/338...r-by-2015.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th April 2013 at 18:58.
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

A good attempt yet am not sure what will actually happen:

1. Why can't we have NCAP or similar standards for India as we have adopted Euro emission norms. I do not see any need for reinvention here. Follow what is good and is accepted.

2. Why can't we have ABS-EBD and driver side air-bag necessary for all LMVs? Why manufacturers are permitted to sell vehicles without safety aids? The base model does not mean safety compromise !

3. Why PUC is required for vehicles - why not pollution cess per litre of fuel sold. Why create a mafia. Above all in majority of new age engines (petrol or diesel) there is actually nothing that a PUC centre can do. They simply waste fuel (specially diesel cars) during such certification process.

We do not have systems and whereever they are - does not fucntion they way they should.
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
3. Why PUC is required for vehicles - why not pollution cess per litre of fuel sold. Why create a mafia. Above all in majority of new age engines (petrol or diesel) there is actually nothing that a PUC centre can do. They simply waste fuel (specially diesel cars) during such certification process.
We're already paying enough of taxes and cess, cant afford more. It would be better to surrender our cars to the authorities and ask them to give the money!
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
We're already paying enough of taxes and cess, cant afford more. It would be better to surrender our cars to the authorities and ask them to give the money!
But you are okay making a visit to PUC Centre every 90 days spend 15 - 20 minutes pay Rs 112.36 (these are delhi numbers) and waste 1/2 litre of fuel and let your car be throtled by a joker for 10 minutes for the sake of certification.

Rubbish !
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Only yesterday, I saw the adblue tank on BMTC Volvos (hope its stocked and is being used )
We need cleaner public transport vehicles (including autos or replacing them). With cars and bikes mostly being cleaner, its these two class of vehicles that pollute the most.
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:52   #44
BANNED

I also feel that they should go BS-V across the country how and haul up the refiners / OMCs if they do not deliver.
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:15   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also feel that they should go BS-V across the country how and haul up the refiners / OMCs if they do not deliver.
Though on paper that seems the logical step I doubt it happening soon, OMC's will push for funding or increase in fuel cost to mitigate the investment required for upgrade required in refinery end for migrating to BS V. With elections around government will be happy to let us breathe the smoke rather than spew fire

Most Viewed