Team-BHP - 2015 - New Safety and Emission regulations coming up!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   2015 - New Safety and Emission regulations coming up! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/133707-2015-new-safety-emission-regulations-coming-up.html)

Source & Full Article

2015 - New Safety and Emission regulations coming up!-2015makeovertimeforvehicles.jpg

Cheers!

The steps sound interesting but there is nothing which prevents or aims to prevent smoke belching overloaded trucks on the highway, tractors and cargo autos in the city and horribly maintained buses from continuing to keep our country dirty. Correct?:deadhorse

Thats a good initiative by the govt to enforce the stringent emission and safety regulations, the increase in the price will be worth the effort:thumbs up. It all needs to be seen whether the infrastructre post the implementation will also be in place to ensure the regulatory reqmts are adhered to.

I thought the doors of the cars can still be opened from inside in case of an accident. The RFID tags implementation will be huge boon to the hassled commuters waiting at the toll booths.

Good one. Hope the auto-industry does not create any confusion since it may lead to price rise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 3064530)
The steps sound interesting but there is nothing which prevents or aims to prevent smoke belching overloaded trucks on the highway, tractors and cargo autos in the city and horribly maintained buses from continuing to keep our country dirty. Correct?:deadhorse

I agree. I think, its because of the feeling that "Even if I follow 100% rule without overload and PUC certificate, the PC on the way is gonna collect fine for some reason or other. So, why not utilize/justify paying it :Frustrati"

I wanted to share the same article and saw a thread already exists.

Welcome move, but i feel this should have been already done.
Quality of fuel(especially diesel) is a big question mark and as the govt increases the prices, they should ensure that quality becomes better too

Coming to safety norms, it should be made mandatory, ABS, Airbags etc. And Bull bars should be banned since they directly violate pedestrian safety norms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajshenoy (Post 3064579)
Bull bars should be banned since they directly violate pedestrian safety norms.

100% agree with you on this. I remember they had removed crash bars (Scratch bars) from auto rickshaws long time ago after an RTO was hit with the same in Mumbai.

Welcome move. But, where are the norms to mandate expired/old and polluting vehicles on the Roads? Everyday during my commute to office, I see atleast 20 such vehicles, which makes me thinking, "Are you kidding me?". These vehicles vary from old trucks which don't have lights, number plate, covered in black something, slow moving to diesel 3-wheelers (i cant even say what brand or what category they belong to). THese should never be plying on the streets of Bangalore. Who's watching these vehicles?

clap: Good move. Any step taken towards ensuring cleaner emissions is always welcome. These standards would also ensure that automobile manufacturers continue to put in more efforts to make their vehicles leaner and more efficient.

I am also particularly looking forward to the RFID system at tolls. On my recent visit to Singapore, I learnt that they have a automatic toll collection system called ERP (electronic Road Pricing) which is essentially a RFID system which automatically deducts toll from a prepaid smart card that each car needs to carry with it. They have gantries at every major road that read the smart card data and deduct the toll accordingly. Such a system, if implemented in India, will eliminate long queues at the toll booths.

Ofcourse, when it comes to India, there is a big question mark about implementation. More worrisome is the fact that people always try to bypass rules.

Good move. But I find mandatory ABS, airbags etc missing. In my view atleast ABS should be mandatory.
Has any law been passed to effect this? if not SIAM will be all out to ensure this does not pass.

I would have appreciated mandatory fitting of dual airbags and ABS. This is long pending in a country where their functionality could save many lives.
The rules seem to target only the LMVs, what about the stringent action on trucks/ buses? They don't even comply to the existing laws, forget about the new ones!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxx (Post 3064692)
Good move. But I find mandatory ABS, airbags etc missing. In my view atleast ABS should be mandatory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajshenoy (Post 3064579)
Coming to safety norms, it should be made mandatory, ABS, Airbags etc.

Depends on the pass criteria for crash tests. If the rule insists that the most sold variant should be passing the crash test, most manufacturers would be forced to add the safety kit to pass the test.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenren (Post 3064718)
Depends on the pass criteria for crash tests. If the rule insists that the most sold variant should be passing the crash test, most manufacturers would be forced to add the safety kit to pass the test.

So this "crash test" is not just structural but more like Euro-NCAP which analyses complete safety aspects of the vehicle? sounds good.

Hooray another one of those good initiatives by the govt.
The problem being its like income tax which is paid only by the middle class who carry the burden of the rich as well as poor.

The emission norms will be applicable to all the vehicles that middle class buys. While we never know what the rich will manage with their "imported" vehicles and the "poor" with their commercial goods carriers and public transport vehicles remain untouched.

I will have to check but this must be based on Euro V, and for the major cities. I hope the dinosaurs do not hold up - We do not have the right fuels, yet. This will make the rest of India BS-IV. The revision is done every five years keeping one notch below the EU norms.

I hope they can enforce Unadulterated fuels, else all becomes a joke.

What about the CVs? I think they are still BS-II or something. Another joker, Sarkari White Marias with zero maintenance!

Seems good in paper. Need to see how it works out really.

Hope the quad cycles become norm succeeding autos. That said, it depends on how vehicles are retired too (say, all trucks retired after 10 years?).

One can only hope to see a more vigilant vehicle fitness enforcements, esp on the older vehicles (It is sometimes scary to see the contraptions holding together :) ).