Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2013, 10:14   #1
BHPian

Road Safety Poll : By Ministry of Road Transport & Highways

The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has come out with an opinion poll on Road Safety

http://morth.nic.in/qform.asp

request all BHPians to contribute and give their opinions and suggestions in improving road safety and all things related to it, also it would be better if we ask all of our friends to do the same
san2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 14:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Road Safety Poll : By Ministry of Road Transport & Highways

It is nice to see that the ministry is giving some focus on designation of known accident prone areas, but it would be great if the issue is tackled before it becomes accident prone.
Installation of foot overbridges at crowded crossings, barriers for roads in hilly areas, bushes on dividers of all highways to block the headlights of oncoming cars, and imparting education to all the crazy drivers of our country would go a long way.
However the main problem to road safety has to be that most of the roads are in a pitiful state. When I see the roads in other countries and come back and see India's infrastructure I am always saddened.
Old 30th March 2013, 15:26   #3
BHPian

Nice to see the survey.

But I have a few issues with this:
1. How many of the suggestions will be taken up seriously? No idea.
2. The survey form is poorly coded.
a. It doesn't differentiate between Yes or No.
b. Radio buttons asking for Rural/Urban are named Yes/No.
c. Finally, after the form is submitted; instead of giving an apt message for submission, I get the following message - Special characters not allowed.
(But the form is submitted)

Seeing such a poor effort on their side on the survey part, I doubt they'll do anything.
Old 30th March 2013, 17:24   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
It is nice to see that the ministry is giving some focus on designation of known accident prone areas, but it would be great if the issue is tackled before it becomes accident prone.
Installation of foot overbridges at crowded crossings, barriers for roads in hilly areas, bushes on dividers of all highways to block the headlights of oncoming cars, and imparting education to all the crazy drivers of our country would go a long way.
However the main problem to road safety has to be that most of the roads are in a pitiful state. When I see the roads in other countries and come back and see India's infrastructure I am always saddened.
The list of troubles are endless. Lane discipline. Proper indication before a turn. Using only designated U Turn areas rather than turning without warning just anywhere at all.
Putting proper fences and barriers along every highway so as to prevent animals, idiot humans and other creatures from just suddenly materializing on the roads.

All this is nice as a wishlist. Requires plenty money though which we are too busy spending for our underprivileged politicians and their ilk...
Old 30th March 2013, 19:08   #5
BHPian

Thanks, I have given my views. At least they are trying something. Not sure anything will come out, but, it is better to do our part.
stringbh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 19:59   #6
ais
BHPian

For road safety process to begin, in my view there are two good starting points. Specifications for road construction must change. I believe that road specifications are deliberately kept lax to construct uneven road, without provision for rain water to channel away. Once water pools on patches, road surface will deteroriate and require repairs or relaying the surface, which suits construction companies and elements that define the specifications. Uneven roads as it is are dangerous because they divert the drivers' attention from the traffic and increase braking distance and vehicle instability. Roads in developed countries that have snow and rain more frequent and intense than India are good because of tighter specifications and prompt maintenance.

Second area that needs addressing is driver training program during grant of driving licences. Rules and driving etiquette needs to be trained for, and videos of accidents should be shown to candidates. Perhaps a simulator replicating a crash, with plenty of G force stops and crashes included, should end the training process. If I were incharge, I'd throw in some real limbs and various body parts and a shower of blood on the candidate in the simulator (which would be constructed from accidental total loss vehicles). Surely a candidate getting a licence would want to avoid such a situation in real life!

About the Form to which the link is provided, it only finds out about where accident site are, not suggestions. I'd like to know where is there no accident site?. This effort is as asinine as can be expected from any usual run of the mill government - at least they should have thought of their own kind who have lost lives in accidents. (With due condolences to their near and dear ones). http://m.timesofindia.com/india/8-to...w/36004283.cms

On NDTV Road Safety campain today, I saw Nitin Gadkari say public can give suggestions for road safety. Other than this form, is there any other portal/website/link? Couldn't find anything on the MORTH website.

Last edited by ais : 23rd April 2016 at 20:03. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 24th April 2016, 07:23   #7
BANNED

The first priority STOP HOGGING OF THE RH LANES esp on highways. Gadkari may have good intentions, but the system just Stinks.
Old 25th April 2016, 11:20   #8
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The first priority STOP HOGGING OF THE RH LANES esp on highways. Gadkari may have good intentions, but the system just Stinks.
With limited lanes and heterogeneous traffic moving at different speeds, leaving a lane clear is difficult.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:23   #9
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2016 at 12:47.
mvadg is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th April 2016, 16:26   #10
BHPian

This is not an opinion poll or a survey, but it is a form to log a complaint about an accident prone area, with specifics.
Probably when there is such a complaint logged about an accident prone area, they will take a measure.
Unless we have a complaint about a specific area, our entry will not be of any use.
But yes, if we have some specific complaint, the ministry might arrange some quick fix to solve the problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks