Team-BHP - 7 Habits of highly effective idiots on Indian roads
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   7 Habits of highly effective idiots on Indian roads (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/134551-7-habits-highly-effective-idiots-indian-roads-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathlal (Post 3276666)
template driven survey throughout regions, or this is just a marketing campaign.

Yes it surely is a marketing campaign. It says about technology perceptions that enhance safety and then boasts about Ford's initiatives in this direction such as Sync, Adaptive cruise control and Blind spot information system that among others help address some common driving safety issues.

Though out of topic, what is a noticeable thing is that the Ecosport is yet to be launched in Thailand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer8 (Post 3276559)
In the prevailing scenario it's like if you can't beat them, join them or when in Rome dress like Romans !!

The well disciplined & safe driver is taken for ride with his ride each day actually by others. Eventually the self-discipline takes a beating to the extent that there is no realization of one's action on the roads.

Totally agree. I have seen the driving behavior of my brother change after he returned from US. Initially, he was among the very few on the road who would stop to let pedestrians cross, only to see the puzzled look on the faces of some pedestrians who got confused why a car has stopped just before them and we had to signal them to cross before they went ahead with crossing the road. Moreover, some pedestrians whom we allowed to cross end up getting stuck in the middle of the road since the vehicles coming in the opposite direction didn't slow down even after seeing pedestrians in the middle of the road.

Same thing goes with who needs to yield for whom at intersections. I don't think 99% of Indian drivers have a clue about this! He ended up waiting a long time on all occasions, whether he was on the main road or side road. He has got somewhat acclimatized to the Indian style of driving now. He now says that he was probably a more dangerous driving when he drove abiding the rules since no one expects such behavior on Indian road and could lead to accidents just because of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenren (Post 3276676)
Indian style of driving now. He now says that he was probably a more dangerous driving when he drove abiding the rules since no one expects such behavior on Indian road and could lead to accidents just because of that.

Exactly my thoughts. For example the outer ring road in Delhi has some traffic signals working at 2-3 am at night. You may stop but other cars would be pushing at speeds of 80-100 not caring about the signal. However halting there is more much risky than crossing the red light. Cause you never know if the fellow behind you is DUI or not.

It's best to follow rules only when it's safe.

It's more like a controlled chaos on the streets in India.

As an example - there's no concept of right of way on our streets, and if you happen to be an NRI (from a Western country) trying your hand at driving in India - that is probably the first rule that would get you in trouble here.

The right of way rule is so fundamental, that in the USA (particularly PA) on the written/CBT test before the actual driving exam, questions abound about who moves first on an intersection - I took that exam about 13 years ago

Compare that to this video that shows how Indians thrive in chaos.

Here is the link to a news article in today's Times Of India speaking about giving negative markings to errant drivers.

This is again based on systems implemented in the US or UK or elsewhere. My question is, when these countries implemented the negative markings system, did they have traffic conditions similar to ours?

We need to have systems in place that suit our conditions. People will surely find ways to subvert this system.

When the octroi system was operational in in Pune, the octroi officials were paid something around 1% of the total amount of octroi charges avoided by an errant party. The octroi officials wouldn't be satisfied with just charging you for your current offense, they would go into your past payment details. This made it difficult to bribe and get away with the offense.

I am wondering, if such a system can be applied to our traffic management system, say in conjunction with the negative marking system, would it make a difference?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenren (Post 3276676)
Totally agree. I have seen the driving behavior of my brother change after he returned from US.

You could have been describing me! It took me a lot of jaw clenching to be able to drive like a local after 2+ decades in the US.

When we talk about very normal things like Seat belts, Helmets, Air Bags and ABD etc., in our team BHP forum I would like to draw the attention to my fellow members to certain sub normal things I experience almost daily in Hyderabad when I take my car out on the Road.
1. Rule 1: Keep Left

Violation 1. Keep right when you turn right or sometimes keep center

I want to make statement or charge that at least 30% car drivers and 80% of two wheeler drivers (out of balance 20% you can assume 10% very elders) do not know or if they know they are not conscious and even if they are conscious they do not practice especially when they turn right in any of the smaller road in Hyderabad they keep right not left. The quick short turn only they want and not the right one. This is the embedded culture in Hyderabad Roads.

2. Rule 2 Park you vehicles in such a way that traffic is not blocked.

Violation 2A. Stand in the Middle of the Road with your bike and chat with your friends or talk in mobile blocking the other vehicles. This is special privilege for Gen Y and daily I see atleast 3-4 instances on the road.

Violation 2B. Park your car on the Thar road so that your tyres are protected and leave the rest of the road (may be 3 feet) and cause hindrance to passing vehicles. The bigger the car the more the distance from the side of the road. This can be seen in more than 50 % of parked vehciles.

Violation 2C. Park ( Long stop is nothing but parking) wherever you are when you receive the call in your mobile and be like that only till the call is finished or someone really comes and try to beat you or scold you badly ( Horn is of no use here). I see this also daily.

Violation 2D. when someone already parked one vehicle on one side of the road park your vehicle parallelly on the other side of the road without proceeding further and parking or taking a parking space much before the other car so that you can walk less to your point of shopping etc., This is more than 40 % in the case of vehicles parked

3. Rule 3 When a Divider is clearly put you cannot drive in the opposite direction

Violation 3 When I have to cross the divider and have to go to opposite road / lane and when the median opening is not exactly straight lane for me to go and my opposite road is say upto some 1000 meters range I can take the median opening and then go in the opposite direction and then go to my opposite road.
1000 meteres is special hyderabadi allowance. Even police allow this officially in many cases. I can quote civil supplies bhavan junction in Somajiguda as example. If I have to take U Turn at the next median opening I have to spend fuel which I do not want. Two wheelers violate maximum say 80%. Cars may be 10%, whenever such opportunity comes.

4. Rule 4 Follow the Signals
Violation 4. Beat where I see empty space at the center

I am able to see no vehicles coming from other directions. Hence I take the initiative and beat and others follow me. Sometimes this gets repeated by others at the other ends and ends up in jam.
This is purely created by Traffic Police by not tuning dynamically the signals. Traffic Load depends on the hour of the day which requires dynamic tuning.

Common to all the above Rules and Violations

Gen Y always takes it very light. Even if you scold they smile and move away. They are very kind and courteous. When you point out they correct. But they do it again. They either do not know or even if they know they are not conscious of it and even if it is conscious they do not consider worth practicing but when someone points out they correct and forget next moment.

Drivers of Luxury cars and SUVs think they have the first right over the road and others have to simply give way to them and whatever they do should not be objected to and their loyalty to their owners and the cars is amazing, that their cars are more important than human beings.

At the same time, I see some of the owners of Luxury cars and SUVs being very kind and patient and drive @ 20km speed in the city to accommodate all small cars and bikes which will be invariably overtaking on the wrong side at the last minute. They are very matured people.

I see this every day. Keep talking. Keep talking. And keep talking. I request forum members to suggest solutions to these daily problems. I also like to hear the views and experiences of members of other cities.
…………………………………………………… End………………………………………………….

Quote:

Originally Posted by deshmumn (Post 3281786)
[

I am wondering, if such a system can be applied to our traffic management system, say in conjunction with the negative marking system, would it make a difference?

I totally agree that such an integration is needed. However what worries is that we would have this system only in select cities and the rest of our countrymen would continue making merry in their villages.. Bigger problem is when these folks come on a merry drive to the city. :Frustrati
But yes, like in other societies, linking insurance, court fines and so on would go a long way in ensuring safer roads..

Quote:

Originally Posted by HYDRAVI (Post 3366891)
When we talk about very normal things like Seat belts, Helmets, Air Bags and ABD etc., in our team BHP forum I would like to draw the attention to my fellow members to certain sub normal things I experience almost daily in Hyderabad when I take my car out on the Road.

Doesnt all this finally boil down to self inculcation of traffic rules. If each one of us start following the traffic rules I am sure many will also follow coz we live in a country where herd mentality is an inborn behaviour. I make it a point to stop at the signal when the light is red no matter even if last few seconds are remaining. Many a times my carpooling companions urge me to proceed, but I dont and reason with them for not doing so. I have seen many a times few vehicles stop when I have stopped at the Red signals. Today few stopped, tomorrow many more will stop. Yes there are morons who will defy the traffic rules, they sure will be the laughing stock in the coming days for violating traffic.

As said in Bhagvad Gita "karma karo, phal ki chinta mat karo. Acche karm ho toh phal bhi accha hi hoga"

Hey sforsarang! Nice compilation of sheer idiocy on Indian roads!

My commute is from my workplace at Andheri, Mumbai to Borivali, Mumbai; in my company bus. I use the WEH and it is always full of such idiot drivers, including ours!
What I have observed that many private cabs and buses stop right at the start of a flyover! One can imagine driving at a speed of ~70 and suddenly a bus in front coming to a halt! These stupid maneuvers causes jams and accidents for such foolish reasons! Obviously even the passengers are to be blamed for stopping the vehicle at such places, just for the sake of convenience!
The above situation sometimes forces the trailing driver to make a lane change due to high speeds, ends up disturbing the adjacent lanes and bears all of the swearing, though not being at fault directly!

I have noticed traffic cops standing at the edge of such stupidity prone flyovers, to not let anyone stop at a sudden; but breaking laws and not obeying the traffic police seems to be getting into their blood!

There needs to be a solution to this! At least, the 'educated' should think of these problems, before thinking about their own convenience.

How about the drivers who stop anywhere and everywhere and turn on the hazard lights, even though they are obstructing the traffic. If asked, they give a look saying 'dont you see that I have turned on the hazard lights'.

Completely agree with Hydravi, rather , this behaviour can also be extended to the " Brilliant and Erudite " road users in Bangalore as well, I mention this 'cause, it is easier to rationalise when bad road manners is demostrated by, say an auto driver or a truck driver or a call center cabbie, but here we have the genx, sauve, educated IT folks, apparently literate but certainly not educated and here are some of their idiosyncrasies

The Green One-Switch off engine of their two wheeler at a crowded signal ( socially responsible) pull out your smart phone and update your facebook status or maybe participate in some chat over whatsapp- signal turns green but he continues his updation

The smart Alec-Take the footpath to reach the front at a signal, in the process these professors bully their way through with the pedestrians and make everyone else waiting patiently in the line for crossing the signal look like fools

The Khatron ka Khiladi-Reach a signal, check out quickly if there is a cop, else jump the signal, this is what I call the Indian Roulette , but unlike the Russian one, here someone who never intended to participate could also become a victim

The Chat Shop-Wedge a cell phone between the ear and the shoulder, helmet strung through the hand and weaving through traffic while having a very important conversation.

The street Hawk- these erudite folks practice driving through gaps in heavy traffic, very often knocking your rear view mirror and scratching your fender , but he is unstoppable until sprawled on the ground

There are many more, these are just a few but giving them nick names helps me identify these traits and look at the whole matter in a more tolerant and humorous perspective then ranting and loosing my cool:D try it out it works !!

The best part is when your riding comfortably on a 4 lane highway and suddenly a tractor or truck is coming on the wrong side with headlights on in full daylight to show he is on wrong side.. nonsense just trying to save the far ahead 'U' turn clap:

Sadly a good friend of mine,who otherwise is a good driver (follows signals and all that), routinely indulges in this 'wrong side is right' driving much to my chagrin when I am with him in the car. All my pleading to not do that falls on deaf ears. I feel bad because if us 'educated' lot do this how can we ever say that the less educated are idiots.
Well I will keep trying!

Slightly related, but i have noticed that if you have been trained by a decently good Motor vehicle trainer, as against your friend/relative/dad, there is a better chance that you would drive sensibly and will probably follow most rules.