Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2018, 21:46   #181
BHPian

Re: Dangerous habits of unsuspecting drivers/passengers

A few that I have seen/observed

1. Overloading the vehicle (6 folks in a 5 seater car for instance)
2. Kids in the front navigator seat - without even switching the airbags off. (I'd rather not have any kids in the front row. Period.)
3. Wearing the seatbelt (because I insist!) but keeping the torso portion not in position.
4. Tailgating even at 100kmph.
5. Changing the lanes without indicators; without checking the blind spot; without giving enough notice to the other drivers.
6. Filling the trunk of the car with so much stuff that the rearview mirror has only a spectacular view of your suitcases and not the road behind you.
venuvedam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 22:00   #182
BHPian

One common thing done by oblivious motorists is never taking a turn at a proper length and angle. I encounter this almost everyday where people on bikes and scooters especially while taking a right hand turn just zoom in like they're trying to hit the apex and end up bang in front of me or other oncoming vehicles while endangering both themselves and others.

Another one I can think of is people not noticing that one of the indicators is on (buzzer has gone kaput or purposely disabled? ) and they just keep driving along straight through narrow streets and more than often end up turning in the opposite direction than what is being indicated.
arbaz906 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 22:15   #183
BHPian

The most dangerous and absolutely brainless stunt I've ever seen was a solo (male) biker carrying an infant strapped into a baby harness on his front. This was back in 2012 in front of Mantri mall at peak rush hour.

Recently I saw another guy doing the same thing but this genius had his full face helmet on top of his head (like a hat) so he could keep talking to the baby and obey the helmet laws.

Both of these jokers seemed to be educated and well off so I can't imagine what would make them do this. There was definitely no emergency because neither of these guys seemed to be in a hurry.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th February 2019 at 13:39. Reason: Spacing
Old 2nd September 2018, 22:17   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
Joyride through the sunroof
I have seen many a times kids riding in the car with half of their torso out of the sun roof. This is just inviting trouble. My 11 year old requests me for this joy ride since his friends do it all the time. Absolute no no in my household.
Head Popping out of the sunroof is a real menace and this has been a regular spotting over the weekends

Quote:
Helmet on head not on handlebars/mirror mounts
This completely drives me crazy. Have seen so many commuters who rest the helmets on the mirror mounts.
Helmet on the arm, mirror, tied up to the carrier, what not. Not to forget, wearing the full face helmet in a way that the jaw protector is over your head (mostly seen people smoking or phone with this helmet position)
Old 17th September 2018, 12:12   #185
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 7 Habits of highly effective idiots on Indian roads

Moron will try to jump toll, then argue with the security for 5 minutes and hold everyone up behind.

People on our roads seriously lack civic sense:
7 Habits of highly effective idiots on Indian roads-20180916-11.10.23.jpg

7 Habits of highly effective idiots on Indian roads-20180916-11.10.27.jpg
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 17:25   #186
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Harshith Shivaraj for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Can there be a bigger idiot on Indian roads?

7 Habits of highly effective idiots on Indian roads-img_20181125_080423.jpg
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 18:56   #187
Senior - BHPian

I want to list 2 new type of idiots whose number is on the raise:

1) You are waiting in a signal in the que along with other 20 vehicles. When the signal is just turning green, 10 vehicles who are the last in the que, jump to the lane meant for the opposite side, overtake everyone and they are the first to pass the junction (and when your turn comes the signal has already tuned red)

2) You are going in the left lane, trying pass some vehicles who have stopped in the right lane, trying to take a right turn (or U turn). You notice someone who is probably wanted to go straight, but he is stuck in the wrong lane and signals his intent to come to the left lane. You slow down and make way for him to come out and join the left lane. But to your utter shock, he blocks your way and puts the right turn indicator because he still wants to take right turn but WANTS TO BEAT EVERYONE AND GET AHEAD OF THEM.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th February 2019 at 13:38. Reason: Spacing
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 14:02   #188
BHPian

Today when I went to fetch my toddler from playschool, I saw a bunch of kids being allowed to put their heads out of the sunroof in cars driving at normal speed. I am about to shoot an email to the school principal so that the school can better inform the parents.

A couple years ago, I did send a mail to a school in Parel when I saw their driver driving the school bus haphazardly almost inviting an accident. I did send the bus number to the concerned and they thanked me pointing it out but since I wasn't personally affiliated to the school, I didn't bother following up. There is only so much one can do.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 16:20   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Harshith Shivaraj for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Can there be a bigger idiot on Indian roads?

Attachment 1838444
GTO, I think you need refresh your aerodynamics knowledge a bit more. Don't you see what he's doing there? He's creating more downforce (on a Front wheel driven) for those high speed drives that they will be doing from one signal to the next.

Jokes apart! My Goodness I have never seen a bigger idiot than this fellow. What was he even thinking and how can one even get such an Idea? I am sure I won't have been able to come to this idea even if I sat down to think for centuries on what could be the worst way to die.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 5th February 2019 at 16:22.
Old 5th February 2019, 17:23   #190
BHPian

One common idiotic thing I see among the two wheeler motorists is they remove the side view mirrors and turn their heads as Owls, when they try to take a turn or change the lane. Now think about these people taking cars and turning their heads. They cannot look into the Rear View Mirrors as they aren't trained to it.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 11:31   #191
BHPian

3 things I find annoying on Indian roads:

a) Drivers love to talk on phone while their cars drift right/left at 70+KMPH speeds. Firstly, one should not use phone while driving. Even if they have to answer an important call, use
headphones or bluetooth. Despite having bluetooth systems available, you will find these drivers holding phones next to their ears.
b) Love of some idiotic drivers to drive on the lane marker. You will come across drivers who will keep lane marker in middle of their of cars, thus using 2 lanes for driving
c) Change lanes without indication. It may be too much to expect for lane change indicator- I believe these drivers don't even look in the mirror before changing lanes. Not sure if these drivers know the real purpose of rear view mirrors. These mirrors have a purpose and it is not checking your hair or make up
drive_or_die is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 13:00   #192
BHPian

There is this penchant for passing a car that is reversing from its rear. Similarly, if someone has to take a three point turn, they would pass the car from the front (when the car is moving forward) and from the rear when the car is moving in reverse, even when there isn't any other traffic apart from the two vehicles.

Overtaking a vehicle from the right, just before a junction, and turning left. Similarly, overtaking a vehicle from the left and turning right.

Parking just before or after a crossroad / T-junction. Bus stops at such locations are recipes for messed up traffic.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 13:44   #193
BHPian

Wow where do I start !

1. In traffic jams, a trickle is started by 2 wheeler riders by going down the wrong lane. They are soon followed by rickshaws and then cabs and private cars. Soon a small traffic jam is converted by these morons in to a huge mess and we law abiding citizens get stuck for no fault.

2. On narrow bridges - no waiting for the oncoming vehicle to pass before entering the bridge and then trying to squeeze through.

3. Keep on jumping red lights till the oncoming traffic makes it impossible to do so.

4. Even if an opening is available in the median just a few hundred meters ahead, ram your vehicle at full speed down the wrong lane. This applies to everyone from a two wheeler to a 10 wheeler truck.

5. Enter one ways from the wrong end (again at full speed) and glare at oncoming vehicles like they are the ones breaking the law.

6. Do window shopping while speaking on the phone and cruising very slowly along a busy road at peak hours. Pay no heed to the traffic buildup behind you.

7. Keep walking with small children in tow down the middle of the road speaking on your cell phone and god forbid if someone honks, give them the death stare.

I could go on and on but will stop at 7. All these are very effective to give a healthy law abiding driver all kinds of mental stress.
luvDriving is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 12:16   #194
BHPian

Indian Driving Etiquettes

Hi All.

This is my first post here and I have been thinking about writing this for a while now.

Most of us here drive 5 or 6 days a week from home/office/home. (I live in Gurgaon and work in Delhi)
When we drive in our cities, we try to adhere to the basic rules and we try our best to drive in a way that other vehicles on the road are not inconvenienced because you have the ability empathize over how you would if someone behaved with you this way and after all roads are public property .

Now when you are driving daily, you see numerous instances of people driving with no sense whatsoever which can make even a monk who has attained Moksha go crazy. For example:
  • No lane driving. Which is actually non existent in our society. But its even worse when people cut from the extreme right lane to the extreme left lane. Whats even worse. No indicators.
  • Wrong side driving. Just so that you can skip one u turn while you show absolute disregard for traffic.
  • Jumping the red light just so you can save 30 seconds.
  • Stopping wayyyyy ahead of the zebra crossing.
  • Dont even get me started on the two wheelers. They drive like its you responsiblity to keep them alive.
  • Not giving way to emergency services like Ambulances.
  • Have to also mention the absolute idiot pedestrians who would want to cross the road inspite of their being an over bridge a few metres away.

The above are just a few examples and even thinking about them is infuriating me because I witness these every single day and numerous times.

I have driven abroad and I am not going to comment on the quality of roads because that is another thing but society as a whole is extremely responsible and well behaved when it comes to driving. There are road signs everywhere and drivers know what to do and when. I am sure other people will agree too.

With the advent of Uber/Ola, driving standards have gone much much worse. These taxi drivers only care about reaching on time and saving fuel. Same goes for these e-rickshaws. Its a norm to see them drive on the wrong side of the road.

Now I would like to ask you all? Is there no escape to this. Will we ever live in a society where we can drive in peace?
If you BHPians were a part of a newly formed committee that is supposed to tackle this issue, what policy changes would you bring in?

Apologies if there is another discussion on this.

Also please feel free to point out any fallacies (since I am stereotyping all parts of India) if you live in a part of India where people actually have driving etiquettes considering I have not driven everywhere in the country.
adhd92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 05:07   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
One common idiotic thing I see among the two wheeler motorists is they remove the side view mirrors and turn their heads as Owls, when they try to take a turn or change the lane. Now think about these people taking cars and turning their heads. They cannot look into the Rear View Mirrors as they aren't trained to it.

Although I agree mirrors are important and there is no excuse for removing them, people on bikes can not rely on their mirrors only. There are too many blind spots and motorcyclists are expected to both use the mirrors and turn their heads to look at blind spots. The action is literally called a life saver and It is one of the basic riding techniques you are expected to follow on the road. EU countries even have it in their motorcycle riding exam.

Most Viewed