Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 14:49   #61
BHPian

Re: 7 Habits of highly effective idiots on Indian roads

sforsarang - That was a great write up with good cartoons too. I believe you have had more experiences since your narration speaks like others. It's good to read these, but when is this situation going to change? As far as I have seen, it has gone from bad to worse in the past few years. I used to post so many violators to Bangalore Tarffic Police FB page and their website too, especially riding on footpath. BTP also tries very hard to make things better, but it's we people who are reluctant to change. If we change, things would get changed. Worst part is all these are done mostly by the so called educated people, so no point in blaming illiterates alone. Hope things get better in sometime at-least.
Old 4th April 2013, 14:56   #62

And I thought the railway crossing thing happened only in Bangalore. To add insult to injury, the traffic cop at the gate has no option but to allow these idiots to go first to avoid creating a bigger mess. Those of us waiting in the correct lane are left waiting more.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:04   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
* 'Center of Frustration' idiots
My brother calls this style of driving as 'Line Driving' and 'Line Parking'

In fact coming home one night with his colleague he noticed that his colleague was following the 'Line Driving' style to the T.

Upon questioning and explaining the reason for the line he was still not willing to understand and accept the necessity to stay on one side of the line.

Its not the mistake of the people driving on the road, I suppose, there is no proper method and enforcement of issue of a new driver's license in our country.
Old 4th April 2013, 17:04   #64
AVT
BHPian

Truely a great write up.
Couple of days back I happened to find the biggest idiot of them all. And yes he managed to smash my ride pretty well !
How?
Well he was busy on his cell phone , and wanted to cross the 4 laned dual carriageway on which most cars drive well over a 100kmph.

He didn't even switched on his turn signal, stayed on the phone , and without even looking whats coming at him, jumped right in front of me !

What happened next was bad both for his face and wallet!
Old 4th April 2013, 18:02   #65
BHPian

Awesome Writeup !! this is what we face commonly in India, the high beamers are the other idiots frustrating all other people, particularly the TATA ace people and the headlamp is so powerful that you have to literally stop the car before moving !
Old 4th April 2013, 18:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Scenarios and a brilliant write up on each scenario.

Like everyone has pouring in their own experiences, it could well run up to a thousand scenarios. I can't think of one at the moment, but after reading each of the scenarios, I realize what I have been through all this while.
Old 4th April 2013, 18:57   #67
BHPian

Fantastic Collection. Never realized we meet such idiots everyday on the roads.
Old 4th April 2013, 19:48   #68
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Thanks NVP, I guess for a bigger vehicle it would be difficult to take a U turn while turning from extreme right lane (nearest to the divider) and thats why probably they steer to left and then take U ?
I was describing what happens on roads without a divider. In Bangalore we have so many of them and when you have a junction of such perpendicular roads, these idiots drive on extreme right wanting to turn right at the junction. This totally prevents the other vehicles from turning left at the same junction (from the oppposite direction).
Old 4th April 2013, 20:11   #69
BHPian

My personal favorite, are the drivers who smoke WHILE they are driving. Not only are they using one hand now, but also de-ashing the cigarette from out their windows and throwing the buds out, as if into outer space.

One time, a driver in front of me, threw his cigarette bud after he was done and it bounced off of the road and into our car(driver's side window was rolled all the way down)and hit me. I almost lost control.

Why can't they just stop on the side and smoke, or something.

Last edited by Skye1592 : 4th April 2013 at 20:12.
Old 4th April 2013, 21:00   #70
BHPian

Amazing , amazing write up. Enjoyed reading every bit of it. Every point made me rethink the kind of drivers we encounter on a daily basis.

The point regarding the slow movers on the fast lane touched the emotional chord. As my office commute is pretty long and is more than 60% on the National Highway , I very frequently have a chance to encounter this rare breed. Doing 60/hour on the right lane where the speed limit is 80/hour !! The worse part is that they do not believe in giving way and the onus is on you to do a overtake from the left at which they will make a scornful face as if you have committed a crime by overtaking them !
Old 4th April 2013, 21:08   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
Awesome Writeup !! this is what we face commonly in India, the high beamers are the other idiots frustrating all other people, particularly the TATA ace people and the headlamp is so powerful that you have to literally stop the car before moving !

Bro, This one is for you. I feel the same so so many times. I so wish
Attached Thumbnails
7 Habits of highly effective idiots on Indian roads-531912_554706877886066_1405099957_n.jpg  

mannubhai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 21:25   #72

Just want to add a couple of sub-types of idiots unique to Greater Noida where i live...

1. Idiots who think going around the round-abouts in wrong direction can save a few ml of fuel. And when they encounter other motorists coming in the right direction, they glare at them...

2. A higher level idiot who not just enters the round about in the wrong direction, but exits into a road in the wrong way again... Maybe, he thinks 2 wrongs equal a right...
Shmoos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 21:51   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoos View Post
Just want to add a couple of sub-types of idiots unique to Greater Noida where i live...

Yes, especially LG and MoserBaer roundabout. By the way, I think I saw your ride inside the STMicro campus. I could be mistaken, for sure.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 4th April 2013 at 21:53.
Old 5th April 2013, 00:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

2 more things I've noticed here in Chennai.
Executive commuters - These gentlemen spend the whole day discussing matters at the local tea shop. then when they leave, the ride 2 or 3 abreast continuing their discussion about matters they might have missed.
Gentleman Mobile user - This guy will stop his bike or bicycle in the middle of the road with no lights to talk on his phone.
Old 5th April 2013, 01:41   #75
BHPian

Here are 4 more that I've observed -

"I Always Over-take from the Left Idiot" - Count all the ricks in; they will take a U turn at a signal, will come wrong way even on the Hosur main road at 50-60kmph never use the indicators, and will try to ALWAYS over-take you from the left!

"I love Hella Idiots" - If you drive for about 30kms in Bangalore, you're bound to see at least 3 vehicles with more than 2 headlights - when I say more than 2, I mostly mean 4-6 - those hella lights, weird-colored DRLs, and cheap chinese lights

With no offense, imagine if this vehicle comes at 100kmph from the opposite side at 9pm, and you're blinded by all those headlights poking right into your eyes, wouldn't the chances of an accident be much higher?

"You're an idiot to mess with me Idiot" - Some of the amazingly gifted bikers will do whatever it takes, to prove that you're an idiot to be driving a car, and not only will they overtake you from left once, and then right next, they'll also come painfully close to your car at least on 10 occasions, that you'll somehow slow down to let them go (and I believe that's what they want!)

"I will Honk Unconditionally Idiot" - They feel that it's mandatory to put their hands on the horn at ALL TIMES, and when I say that, I literally mean it! They'll honk no matter whether the signal is green, yellow, red, or even if everyone is waiting for the signal to turn green (yeah some of them feel that if they honk excessively, the traffic police guy would turn it green sooner)

Last edited by OmThoke : 5th April 2013 at 01:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks