Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport Toppled by Reviewer - Emergency Assist Dhamaka
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport Toppled by Reviewer - Emergency Assist Dhamaka (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/136541-ford-ecosport-toppled-reviewer-emergency-assist-dhamaka-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboGuru (Post 3127314)
Senior meembers ignore my ignorance but isn't ABS (which i suppose was equipped in this car, as it is with Air bags) was supposed to take charge of such situation
Thanks god no one was seriously injured !!!

ABS works with brakes but TCS would have definitively help during the fishtailing

Does any variant of EcoSport come with ESP? Would ESP avoided the toppling?

Quote:

Originally Posted by drsnt (Post 3128086)
ABS works with brakes but TCS would have definitively help during the fishtailing

I think ABS prevents locking up of wheels, and if the wheels were not locked how can it fishtail? 2 Possibilites

#1) ABS failed, 1/100th of chance.
#2) Driver pulled hand-breaks!!! , I guess this must have happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram_d (Post 3125103)
All accidents are driver errors.

I get what you're saying and I don't mean to be pedantic, but no they aren't. Not all. The dozens of Ford Explorers that flipped because they were fitted with faulty Firestone tires with high failure rates- that, for example, can't really be attributed to driver error.

Quote:

Originally Posted by limited-edition (Post 3128270)
I think ABS prevents locking up of wheels, and if the wheels were not locked how can it fishtail? 2 Possibilites

#1) ABS failed, 1/100th of chance.
#2) Driver pulled hand-breaks!!! , I guess this must have happened.

Are we sure that the variant the driver was driving was equipped with ABS in the first place?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDP (Post 3128288)
Are we sure that the variant the driver was driving was equipped with ABS in the first place?

From the pictures we can see AIR bags in deployed state. ABS and AirBag comes together in EcoSport packaging. These are based on facts and findings of fellow BHPn's.

Me personally think that Ford / Any manufacturer (excluding MLSI) will give their best shot for customer / media review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDP (Post 3128147)
Does any variant of EcoSport come with ESP? Would ESP avoided the toppling?

ESP would have probably helped. But in this case the rollover could be from the impact of hitting the pole.

I believe the car in question does not have ESP. I maybe wrong, but from what I read around, ESP, hill-hold etc. comes only with the 1.5 DCT AT. We’ll have a better clarity once we have the official review out this week :)

Ah well, here's what reinforces my belief:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUS0e8h80o

(jump to 0:33 looks like freer but still public roads for their "spirited" driving).

Decent video otherwise, esp the music.

Here's a beautifully shot video sans any words but great photography :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UYZ2s_ziJQ

There is nothing wrong in trying to present the other side of the story (even though people defending the driver were not actually present at the scene)

Well, neither were the ones blaming the driver. But when i read this line by the OP:
Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanth.das (Post 3125017)
From the horses mouth - The Guy behind the wheels was pushing hard on a S shaped curve, hit the outer line while entering the curve and shifted towards the right lane, and we were headed straight into an oncoming lorry

Doesnt this make it clear that the driver went into the path of oncoming traffic? Whether the driver was "pushing" the car or not, he did get into the wrong lane on a possibly blind curve. If that is not driver error, then I dont know what is!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 3128280)
I get what you're saying and I don't mean to be pedantic, but no they aren't. Not all. The dozens of Ford Explorers that flipped because they were fitted with faulty Firestone tires with high failure rates- that, for example, can't really be attributed to driver error.

No question of being pedantic my friend and I completely agree with you, but in this case the opening post makes it pretty clear that the tyres were not to blame. It was the driver, as is the case in 99% of the accidents.

Hope the market does not read too much into this one-off incident. Brings to mind the elk test made famous by the A Class, it pushed MERCEDES BENZ into ditching the whole sandwich floor philosophy and has made the current A Class look more like the competition

I have a question regarding how the ambulance reached quickly to the accident site.
Did ecosport's emergency assistance system send the GPS coordinates to the ambulance?
Do ambulances have any device to recieve the GPS coordinates and calculate the route to the accident site?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheARUN (Post 3128467)
Hope the market does not read too much into this one-off incident. Brings to mind the elk test made famous by the A Class, it pushed MERCEDES BENZ into ditching the whole sandwich floor philosophy and has made the current A Class look more like the competition

It was not the Elk test, it was that the platform though brilliant was too expensive to build and was limited in terms of volumes that could be archived. The A and B class platform is shared with Renault so economies of scale can be achieved.

The OP has posted enough details already, its a driver error. The folks were there to get a feel of the car and its natural to see some spirited driving, there are some fools who try to push their limits and the car's limits and end up doing this rubbish. And we are talking about the Elk test already :Frustrati

In a S-Shaped Curve its normal for a car with ABS to fishtail under hard braking, unless you have ESP. ABS only helps steer while you brake hard, nothing beyond that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanth.das (Post 3125017)
From the horses mouth - The Guy behind the wheels was pushing hard on a S shaped curve, hit the outer line while entering the curve and shifted towards the right lane, and we were headed straight into an oncoming lorry,the driver tried to correct it at that speed, flicked left and slammed the brakes and the car started fishtailing, and knocked a concrete pole (Broke it) and flipped on its side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanth.das (Post 3125031)
It toppled after hitting the light pole. I dont think it would have otherwise.

I don't know the driver. The co-passenger is my friend. And I don't intend to take up anyone's side.

But by calling him an idiot/fool/ etc. and character assassinating the chap, is as bad, as the mistake he committed.

It does not give anyone the right to brand or name someone in a particular fashion. Mistakes happen, everybody do commit mistakes at some point in our lives, either while we are growing up and getting mature or some while we are mature. Some “mistakes” are very costly and we don't get away with it, some are lucky and we get away with it and are less damaging in whatever capacity to self or surrounding.

So if we need to call anyone in a particular fashion, either we should never have made a mistake, or we just need to be so very perfect.
Just saying. Please don’t pounce on me.