Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Heads up! Kerala MVD begins aggressive enforcement of lane discipline

Quote:
No-nonsense Transport Commissioner Rishi Raj Singh, who assumed charge a week ago, is all set to tame lane violators along the 70-km-long Cherthala-Angamaly stretch of NH 47 from Monday.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle4822000.ece

From today's ToI:
Quote:
The entire stretch between Cherthala and Mannuthy has been bifurcated into three zones for enforcement, and 27 MVD officials have been specially deployed to book traffic rule offenders. The zones are -- Cherthala-Aroor stretch under Alappuzha MVD enforcement wing, Aroor-Karukutty stretch under Ernakulam enforcement wing and Karukutty-Mannuthy stretch under Thrissur wing.

For the time being, those nabbed for violations are warned and sensitized about lane traffic rules. But from June 1, the department has decided to strictly enforce the system and will impose a fine of Rs 500 for lane traffic violation and Rs 400 for over speeding. “We have also installed 47 additional cameras along the Aroor- Karukutty stretch to keep a check on lane traffic offenders,” said road transport officer (mobile enforcement) V K Raveendranathan.
ToI
darklord is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 22:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Heads up! Kerala MVD begins aggressive enforcement of lane discipline

Crazy people. I read that a biker was killed even today near Technopark by a tipper! Can someone fix these guys first?

And with a cam every 7 kms from Tvm to end of Kerala, they are gonna mint money.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 23:14   #3
BHPian

I remember reading news reports about one Mr. Rishi Raj Singh who used to take strict action when he was Commissioner of Police in Trivandrum. Is this the same guy ??

BTW I hope this instills some sense into those moronic auto rickshaw and tippers who are the most habitual offenders of lane discipline. And those container trucks who love the right lane at 30 kmph. I'm bored of being forced to overtake from the left.
Old 21st June 2013, 00:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

And Mr. Commissioner, can you please keep the slow truckers strictly to the left most lane rather than the right?

Mistakenguy, there is more to overtaking through the left, than being just bored. I've seen in TN highways, slow moving trucks overtaking from the left of the slowest moving truck on the right most lane. Fast moving cars are forced to overtake these convey of trucks through the left most lane. Sometimes, the car will be a sitting duck, when some morons decide to turn on their headlights and come in the opposite direction, through the left most lane, just to save a km of U-turn!
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 10:37   #5
BHPian

This is certainly a welcome move, people are driving like maniacs on 2 lane highways in Kerala. My friend was fined for overtaking a vehicle through left on the stretch between Thrissur and Angamaly. They are also using speed guns to track vehicle speeds using the police control room vehicle.
Old 21st June 2013, 11:12   #6
BHPian

A welcome move!!. I wish this should be implemented in TN too. I could see some good lane discipline inside Trivandrum city compare to other Cities (esp Chennai).
Violaters will be there, but atleast some discipline will come into effect because of this enforcement.
Old 21st June 2013, 11:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

One good thing about this move is that, people will start becoming aware that one should not cut lanes, and maintain lane discipline.

Majority of these expert drivers are not even aware something like this exists.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 11:39   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw couple of MVD vehicles parked along the highway between Vytilla and Kundanoor, with couple of tippers and trucks parked alongside. Started imposing fines? If so, that's good. But will someone please do something about the red killers? Am one person who enjoys when they call a strike. Road will be a heaven to drive.

Before this, NHAI should properly maintain the condition of the roads. Vytilla-Kundanoor got the worst designed U turns, the bridge near Gold Souk is in a pathetic state, excessive water logging (watch trucks drift here). What NHAI is concerned as of now is the median and the plants on it. Today morning, in the rain I saw a tanker watering the plants. Why? That too when it's raining and have other priorities.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 21st June 2013 at 11:40.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 14:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
And Mr. Commissioner, can you please keep the slow truckers strictly to the left most lane rather than the right?

Mistakenguy, there is more to overtaking through the left, than being just bored. I've seen in TN highways, slow moving trucks overtaking from the left of the slowest moving truck on the right most lane. Fast moving cars are forced to overtake these convey of trucks through the left most lane. Sometimes, the car will be a sitting duck, when some morons decide to turn on their headlights and come in the opposite direction, through the left most lane, just to save a km of U-turn!
Slow moving trucks? In Kerala?

They brought the speed-governors but it was a flop coz when fully loaded, the trucks/tipper wont just pull on slops.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 18:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Would support any initiative to instill lane discipline in drivers., but on proper multi-lane roads.
But in the single carriageway roads that make up 80% of kerala NHs anything of this sort will be futile. I don't want to get stuck behind a truck or KSRTC and share the same lane with a 2 wheeler and 3 wheeler.
But in city roads, lane discipline should be strictly monitored. Fed up of times when a bus takes up two lanes or a free left being blocked by a moron.
And BTW, hope they tackle the biggest menace- hi-beam headlights
Old 21st June 2013, 18:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Why closing the eyes by the authorities concerned, on high beam users especially of the brighter kind. It was reported that lux meters are procured by law enforcers by all ended with that. This is a great menace on Kerala roads today.
Old 22nd June 2013, 22:44   #12
BHPian

I think lane discipline and overtaking rules should be strictly implemented all over India.It will improve our driving speeds and also reduce accidents & fatigue. Why don't our RTOs introduce rules and training like in Dubai or in Europe ? I am quite ashamed of our national traffic sense, the honking, lane cutting and no respect of lanes and i could go on and on.....
But honestly, driving in Kerala and especially in Trivandrum is much better than Pune, if you exclude the rickshaws and the Red govt buses which are pretty much the same everywhere.
Many other asian nations like Thailand or Malaysia have much more diciplined traffic. In Thailand i saw all bikers on the highways driving within the limits of a lane of about 4 ft width at the extreme ends of the roads.

But the SAD think is that majority of us Indians, both cops & the commen man are not aware of the international rules or right of way.

Last edited by rxpaul : 22nd June 2013 at 22:50.
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:58   #13
BHPian

Kerala MVD has started lane discipline enforcement in four lane roads. The attached news article from "Mathrubhumi" dated Aug19th Tcr edition says that 80 drivers were fined Rs 500 each for lane violation. They were fined for hogging on to the right lane. Article clearly says thay right lane can only be used for overtaking. If the crime is repeated, license will be terminated.

Heads up! Kerala MVD begins aggressive enforcement of lane discipline-20130822-14.43.58.jpg

Last edited by ontheroad : 22nd August 2013 at 15:03.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 11:30   #14
BHPian

MVD drive fetches over 1 crore in fine
Quote:
Kochi: The motor vehicles department (MVD) booked a total of 15,019 vehicles and levied a fine of over Rs 1 crore for trafficlane violationsover a three-month period on the Cherthala-Mannuthy stretch.
Times of India
Old 28th September 2013, 22:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
MVD drive fetches over 1 crore in fine

Times of India
Where is this cash going? KSEB is disconnecting various speed cam power supply coz their bill isn't paid!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks