Team-BHP - Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/138850-safety-innovations-introduced-next-generation-volvo-xc90-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 3176694)
[*]Adaptive Cruise Control with steer assist: A technology that helps the driver stay in the lane and follow the rhythm of the traffic. The new system automatically follows the vehicle ahead.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the new Mercs, the new Infiniti Q50 etc - they already have this tech out in the market? Or, do I understand what this is differently? Infiniti Q50 has direct adaptive steering that combines with the adaptive cruise control - keeps your car in lane at cruise speed. Merc S and E classes also have fully automated driving mode. I don't know what it is called, but it's definitely there.

2015 Volvo XC90 spied for the first time;

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-15137728911554532541.jpg

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-xc90.jpg

Source

Built on Volvo’s flexible SPA platform, the new XC90 will also be the first car to carry Volvo's new design language.

Quote:

Volvo is all set to reveal the all-new XC90 at the Paris motor show in October this year. The new car will be the first car built on Volvo’s flexible SPA (Scalable Product Architecture) platform that will form the basis of all Volvos from the S60 up. Equally importantly, the new XC90 will also serve as the launch vehicle for Volvo’s new design language.
Quote:

Quote:

The concept car's hammer-shaped LED daytime-running lights are all set to become a Volvo signature and even the protruding ‘floating’ grille will be seen on all Volvos of the future. Another element common to the concepts, the new XC90 and all upcoming Volvos will be the distance between the wheel arch and the base of the windshield. This is on account of the distance from the front axle to the dashboard being the only fixed measure on the otherwise flexible SPA platform. Towards the rear, you can expect a strong shoulder line that will culminate in the tail-lights. The treatment of the tail-lights will, however, be quite different from current Volvos. A thin band of LEDs will run from the top of the rear windshield and merge with a bolder ‘C’ at the base.
There will be plenty of novel features in the cabin too. For starters, the dashboard will come dominated by a large touchscreen that Volvo claims has replaced as many as 70 buttons. The Apple-developed system will control all connectivity, navigation and entertainment options. Volvo tells us the system uses non-reflective glass and has been designed for use with gloves on, though voice activation is likely to be the preferred means to operate it. The diamond cut glass switches and crystal gear lever lower down on the dashboard are other elements confirmed to make it to the production model.
Quote:

The new XC90 will feature motors from Volvo’s new Drive-E engine family that will power all cars on the SPA platform. Interestingly, the Drive-E engine family solely comprises a 2-litre petrol and 2-litre diesel motor, with each available in four states of tune. The motors use turbocharging (along with supercharging on high output versions) and have been designed for use with an electric motor to further aid power. For the record, power outputs range from 140bhp to 306bhp for the petrol engine and 120bhp to 240bhp for the diesel unit

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...pe-381897.aspx

Folks! Here are the first interior shots and certain important specs regarding the structure of the 2015 Volvo XC 90.

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015volvoxc90monocoquespa1024x768.jpg

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015volvoxc90spaseatingarrangement1024x768.jpg

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015volvoxc90teaserthorshammerleddaytimelights1024x769.jpg

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015volvoxc90steeringwheelpressimage1024x769.jpg

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015volvoxc90dashboardviewpressimage1024x603.jpg

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015volvoxc90androidautopressshot1024x636.jpg

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015volvoxc90pressshotsplugin1024x768.jpg

Quote:

The second generation Volvo XC90 will have its public debut at the Paris Motor Show in October this year, prior to which the car will be revealed to the international media in Stockholm. Indian Autos Blog learns through sources that the new XC90 will be showcased in India early next year (likely in February 2015) ahead of a launch that will take place in mid-2015.
Link: https://www.facebook.com/IndianAutosBlog

Thanks

I guess for these systems to work like, " Road edge and barrier detection with steer assist" a proper roads with markings would be required. i am not sure if they would work in our infrastructure...

XC90 first picture trickle in,

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-0_468_700_http___i_haymarketindia_net_extraimages_20140826043834_newxc.jpg

This is the first all-new XC90 to see light 12 years after the first model was unveiled.
Quote:

The new Volvo XC90 is expected to come with Volvo’s double wishbone front suspension and a composite leaf spring set up at the rear for the entry level version of the multi-link rear axle, instead of the conventional steel coil springs - an unusual move but one that could pay dividends in weight saving and freeing-up space in the rear of the car. It also seems that higher specification versions of the XC90 will get air suspension front and rear, which will be interconnected for an improved ride.
The range-topping T8-badged XC90 will combine a supercharged and turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine with an electric motor. The sequentially charged engine - where the supercharger acts low-down in the rev range and the turbocharger boosts top-end output - has a combined output of 395bhp and 65.25kgm of torque.
In the new XC90, the second row of seats will slide and the third row will accommodate passengers up to 170cm tall.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-390026.aspx

On a recent vacation in Europe, I was brave enough to bite the car rental upgrade to get a Volvo V70! In the beginning, I thought that I got cheated because the total became double BUT at the end of the trip, I think it was worth it.

Let's cut the chase and get to the main issue - technology. That V70 had Lane change indicator, adaptive cruise control (even went down to 0 and back to the set speed) real-time speed limit scan and high-beam with oncoming traffic sensor.

All these technological bits worked like a charm but let's talk about the high-beam. If you are driving on high-beam and the car finds oncoming traffic, it automatically, switches to low-beam!

IMHO, the Indian driver would hate this (pun intended)! In India, I drive predominantly in Gujarat. Most of the drivers LOVE to drive with their high-beams; even the ones with HIDs!!

Even my 8 year old is baffled by this and asks WHY. My only answer is may be they were not taught to respect the oncoming traffic - not taught to think about the other person?

I can totally understand and trucker who did not see high school but what about the dude driving that X5?

Any takers??

I wish that were made compulsory for every vehicle in India, including motorcycles, especially in places where people think nothing of coming down the wrong lane. Our roads are stressful enough and it would take at least two factors out of the stress equation. The driver on the correct lane with the hi-beam and the idiot in the wrong lane with the high beam.

The baffling fact remains that starting from the guy driving the X5 to the truck, its frustration and anger taking toll! I have experienced a situation on normal 2-lane highways when I dont see a vehicle switching to low beam after I have. The only option is to reach for my own powerful high beam and flash it a couple of times to remind the oncoming driver that he can get a taste of his own medicine too, at the same time keeping your eyes away from that guy's glaring lights lest you be blinded yourself! HIDs are bright and blinding, but I have not gotten any throw from those lights especially while on the highway and dark roads, prompting me to switch over from the HIDs installed in my vehicle to regular halogens / nighbreakers.
Automatic Dimming Tech is the way to go.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

@troublemaker, absolutely. Thats also another reason why I have this set up (in pic) for my vehicle.
Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-img00205201505121648.jpg
Even my earlier Santro had a high end Philips Headlamp kit installed. The trucks find sedans and hatches easier to intimidate (in a way).

Quote:

Originally Posted by troublemaker (Post 3732559)
Even my 8 year old is baffled by this and asks WHY.

Your 8 year old is baffled because you have taught your child the demerits of high beams. The child has also experienced what happens to you when you are blinded by high beams. When your kid starts driving, she/he for one, I am sure would never switch on high beams.:thumbs up

If every parent follows suit, and teaches their children to empathize, at least the next generation can be made to be more considerate to fellow human beings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troublemaker (Post 3732559)

All these technological bits worked like a charm but let's talk about the high-beam.

Since it is next to impossible to teach the large number of drivers, all of these finer things, the government should make use of technology to change Indian roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 (Post 3732579)
@troublemaker, absolutely. Thats also another reason why I have this set up (in pic) for my vehicle.

Even my earlier Santro had a high end Philips Headlamp kit installed. The trucks find sedans and hatches easier to intimidate (in a way).

Our drivers just don't seem to understand the importance of switching to low-beam when there are oncoming vehicles.
I also don't agree that truckers not having been to high school are the offenders always. At least few years ago, there were several truckers who would always "dip" their lights when they saw oncoming traffic.

And oh..is it only me ? That picture of the Pajero - seems like the right side headlamp isn't working :Shockked:

@NPV. Its just the sunlight reflecting off the left headlamp. None of the lamps are turned ON actually. :-)
Check this out now!

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-0.jpg

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-img00101201502210651.jpg

I would say the truckers who havent seen high school have better understanding of highway manners and use low beams and signals , than the dudes zipping on their cars that cost more than these trucks.

Even in the cities, Bangalore to be specific where i drive most of the time, chaotic traffic is caused by highly skilled people from all parts of india