Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2013, 08:57   #1
Team-BHP Support

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90

Mod Note: Our XC90 Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Volvo is planning to introduce a host of innovative safety and support features in the next generation XC90, which is expected to arrive by the end of 2014. Whether they are able to compete with the big boys in the luxury segment is debatable, but these safety innovations look to be well-aligned with their Vision 2020 plans – to ensure that no one should be killed or seriously injured in a Volvo car.

Some of the key new features include:
  • Pedestrian Detection in darkness: A world first that makes the detection and auto brake technology work effectively also when driving in darkness. The technology includes detection and auto brake for other vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists.
  • Road edge and barrier detection with steer assist: A feature that detects if the car is about to drive off the road and autonomously applies steering torque to bring the vehicle back on track. Being able to monitor where the physical road ends is a world first. This means that the technology also works on roads without side markings.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with steer assist: A technology that helps the driver stay in the lane and follow the rhythm of the traffic. The new system automatically follows the vehicle ahead.
  • Animal Detection: Collision lessening for animals is a world first that detects and automatically brakes for animals both in daylight and in the dark.
  • Autonomous Parking: Autonomous Parking is a Volvo concept technology that allows a car to find and park in a vacant space by itself, allowing the driver to leave the vehicle at the entrance to the car park.

Information courtesy: oneshift.com

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2015 at 16:32. Reason: Linking to review
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 09:00   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Volvo is planning to introduce a host of innovative safety and support features in the next generation XC90, which is expected to arrive by the end of 2014. Whether they are able to compete with the big boys in the luxury segment is debatable, but these safety innovations look to be well-aligned with their Vision 2020 plans – to ensure that no one should be killed or seriously injured in a Volvo car.

[*]Pedestrian Detection in darkness: A world first that makes the detection and auto brake technology work effectively also when driving in darkness. The technology includes detection and auto brake for other vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists.[*]Road edge and barrier detection with steer assist: A feature that detects if the car is about to drive off the road and autonomously applies steering torque to bring the vehicle back on track. Being able to monitor where the physical road ends is a world first. This means that the technology also works on roads without side markings.[*]Adaptive Cruise Control with steer assist: A technology that helps the driver stay in the lane and follow the rhythm of the traffic. The new system automatically follows the vehicle ahead.[*]Animal Detection: Collision lessening for animals is a world first that detects and automatically brakes for animals both in daylight and in the dark.[*]Autonomous Parking: Autonomous Parking is a Volvo concept technology that allows a car to find and park in a vacant space by itself, allowing the driver to leave the vehicle at the entrance to the car park.

What a set of Wow effects!
I do aspire to a Volvo one day, much more than I would aspire to a Beemer, Merc or Audi.
Actually I would say the Audi is eminently desirable but Volvo just that much more so, on account of the innovations in safety technology.
Wonder how all of these will work in Indian conditions though.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 12:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90

Pedestrian Detection in darkness, Road edge and barrier detection with steer assist and Animal Detection seem to be quite useful in India.

Since road edge can be detected even when the road edges are not marked, it would be very useful when you drive in the ghats at night. But then, the description does not suggest that brakes will be applied if the car senses that the road is ending. I would like to know what happens if the driver loses grip on the car while negotiating a curve and applies steering torque in the opposite direction of what the car intends to do. Will drivers' inputs take precedence over car's decisions?

I hope animal detection feature includes not only large animals darting across the road (such as moose or elk), but also small animals like cats and dogs.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 12:45   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Pedestrian Detection in darkness, Road edge and barrier detection with steer assist and Animal Detection seem to be quite useful in India.

Since road edge can be detected even when the road edges are not marked, it would be very useful when you drive in the ghats at night. But then, the description does not suggest that brakes will be applied if the car senses that the road is ending. I would like to know what happens if the driver loses grip on the car while negotiating a curve and applies steering torque in the opposite direction of what the car intends to do. Will drivers' inputs take precedence over car's decisions?

I hope animal detection feature includes not only large animals darting across the road (such as moose or elk), but also small animals like cats and dogs.
Give our karmic connections on Indian roads, I guess the vehicle's electronics will light up like a christmas tree and go ka boom in a week's time, especially if the vehicle is navigating through the typically crowded Indian streets and market places.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 13:05   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the video demonstrations released by Volvo 2 days back on their You Tube channel about the 6 new safety tech

Adaptive Cruise Control with steer assist;

Animal Detection;

Autonomous Parking;

Car 2 Car Communication;

Road Edge & Barrier detection;

Pedestrian Detection in Darkness;

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Not sure about the small animals like cats or dogs but Volvo seems to be taking Elks and Deers for reference as these collisions are a concern globally

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-nextgenvolvoxc90couldbeworldssafestcarvideo626627.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 12th July 2013 at 13:19.
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 13:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Has VOLVO not heard of something called "Rear ending"? Maybe VOLVO designers thought that all the cars that ply on the road in 2014 would be a VOLVO!

IMO, None of these technologies will have practical relevance, at least in the Indian context.

I would any day prefer a well engineered robust car to a over engineered gizmos laden tank. It just doesn't work for me. At the end of the day, no technology can substitute common sense, Human intelligence and safe driving techniques. Period!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 12th July 2013 at 13:32.
Old 12th July 2013, 21:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
What a set of Wow effects!
I do aspire to a Volvo one day, much more than I would aspire to a Beemer, Merc or Audi.
Actually I would say the Audi is eminently desirable but Volvo just that much more so, on account of the innovations in safety technology.
I agree. Their focus on safety innovations is truly commendable. And with the latest models, they have managed to bring loads to freshness to their designs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Here are the video demonstrations released by Volvo 2 days back on their You Tube channel about the 6 new safety tech
Thanks Karan for sharing the videos. For me, the pick of the lot is the road edge and barrier detection. And that autonomous parking feature is too bizarre
Old 16th July 2013, 07:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

By 2020, no one will be killed in a new Volvo - That's its aim

Remove the weak point from the process of driving — the driver — and the roads will become a safer place, claims Volvo.
The message is clear: Volvo will develop cars that are harder to crash, rather than ones that will protect occupants more if you crash. One insider joked that Volvo could build cars from paper and they would still be safe.

VOLVO BEATS GERMANS ON THEIR SOIL!

Volvo has come top of the 2013 JD Power German Vehicle Ownership Satisfaction Study (VOSS). The survey covers vehicles that are between one and three years old. The Swedish maker led the 25 manufacturer brands in the survey with an average score of 832 points out of a possible 1000.
JD Power says Volvo scored highly in “vehicle quality, reliability and appeal”. Toyota, which came second with 816 points, was rated highly for “vehicle servicing costs and vehicle servicing”.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...ng-safety-tech
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 10:17   #9
BHPian

While the features like road edge detection and cruise control might sound ok for Indian conditions, I wonder how the auto park will behave. We have situations like when you find a parking spot and decide to go in, there would be 2 more cars fighting, specially these parking lots in mall.

At that times the system will be like .
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 10:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
And that autonomous parking feature is too bizarre
The autonomous parking feature looks really surreal. I, for one, will be happy if the current auto parking systems become truly automatic i.e the system takes over in addition to steering, brakes, throttle as well as gear so that no manual intervention is required once the system takes over. everything except shifting the gear between D & R should be easily possible using existing systems used for things like adaptive cruise control
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 12:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

2015 SPA-based Volvo XC90 SUV Teased

Link to News Section

Volvo is working on an all new architecture, known as the Scalable Platform Architecture (SPA). This architecture will underpin a range of Volvo car and SUV models of the future. The first Volvo to roll out under the new architecture will be the XC90 SUV, whose next generation version could debut in late 2014.

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015-volvo-xc90-suv-1.jpg

The 2014 Volvo XC90 was teased at a recent media presentation at Sweden, where the Swedish car maker showcased certain details of the SUV during the course of the presentation, alongside the unveil of the Concept Coupe. The design details from the 2015 Volvo XC90, including the elements found on the headlamps and tail lamps, could make it other Volvo cars in the coming years.

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015-volvo-xc90-suv-2.jpg

In that light, the new XC90 represents the new family face of the Swedish car brand, now owned by Chinese automaker Geely. Notably, the 2015 XC90 is the first car that Volvo has co-developed with Geely. The XC90 revealed during the presentation also showcases a new infotainment system that is expected to be adapted onto other Volvo car models.

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015-volvo-xc90-suv-3.jpg

Apart from using the new SPA platform, the Volvo XC90 will also use the Swedish car maker's new range of Drive-E engines (also known as Volvo Engine Architecture), that are available in both turbo petrol and turbo diesel guises. Notably, Volvo wants to shift to more efficient 4 cylinder engines, from the V8s that it currently uses on many of its top-end car models.

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2015-volvo-xc90-suv-4.jpg

Also, the Drive-E range of turbo diesel engines feature the i-ART injection technology, which Volvo claims is the next step for common rail turbo diesel technology. The i-ART technology monitors injection pressure on each injector, allowing better fuel metering and higher injection pressures.

8 speed automatic gearboxes will replace the 6 speed units on the newer crop of Volvo cars underpinned by the SPA platform. The SUV will also be bring on-road Volvo's latest safety technologies. Considering the fact that Volvo sells the XC90 in India as its flagship SUV offering, the new model is likely to be launched here sometime in 2015.

Images courtesy Feber.se

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 30th August 2013 at 12:44. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 15:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Speculative renders of the 2015 XC90;

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-2014volvoxc901.jpg

^ Source

Safety innovations to be introduced with the Next Generation Volvo XC90-untitled.jpg

^ Source
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 11:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

The first render looks great while the second is a bit iffy. Volvos are becoming desirable by the day! Cutting edge safety innovation and Swedish design do go well together it seems!
Old 11th January 2014, 00:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Has VOLVO not heard of something called "Rear ending"?
Incidentally, came across this article that claims to address rear ending:

http://phys.org/news/2014-01-safer-vehicles.html
Quote:
Scientists at Chalmers University in G�teborg, Sweden, are working with a team at car manufacturer Volvo to develop a vehicle control system that can take over steering and breaking when it detects an imminent collision.
The researchers have successfully tested their algorithm on four common accident types. First, rear-end accidents where the vehicle detects a lead vehicle and decides when automatic steering or braking should be applied to avoid a collision. Secondly, the single-target straight crossing path collisions where the decision depends on the speed of both vehicles as to whether braking or steering to avoid the collision would work best. Thirdly, collision scenarios with oncoming vehicles. Finally, situations where multiple obstacles need to be considered. The algorithm can also be adjusted for additional factors, that the vehicle be kept on the road regardless, which would be especially important when driving on bridges, mountainous terrain with precipices and cliffs or at the edge of a body of water.
Old 11th January 2014, 14:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

• Pedestrian Detection in darkness: A world first that makes the detection and auto brake technology work effectively also when driving in darkness. The technology includes detection and auto brake for other vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists.
  • Road edge and barrier detection with steer assist: A feature that detects if the car is about to drive off the road and autonomously applies steering torque to bring the vehicle back on track. Being able to monitor where the physical road ends is a world first. This means that the technology also works on roads without side markings.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with steer assist: A technology that helps the driver stay in the lane and follow the rhythm of the traffic. The new system automatically follows the vehicle ahead.
  • Animal Detection: Collision lessening for animals is a world first that detects and automatically brakes for animals both in daylight and in the dark.
  • Autonomous Parking: Autonomous Parking is a Volvo concept technology that allows a car to find and park in a vacant space by itself, allowing the driver to leave the vehicle at the entrance to the car park.

This is Volvo's key differentiator- Technology.

I live in Finland. My friend and I were test driving a Volvo XC60 and we 'happened' to see how CitySafe (A volvo auto brake technology) works. It is precise. We absolutely loved it. My friend is buying that car.

These tech's , however, are highly relevant in all developed countries where Pedestrians safety and road safety is given high importance. Hence, I know all the new tech they have come up with are all relevant. Comparing with relevance to India is pointless.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed