Team-BHP - SaveLIFE Foundation: Community-Driven Support for Road Accident Victims in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   SaveLIFE Foundation: Community-Driven Support for Road Accident Victims in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/139813-savelife-foundation-community-driven-support-road-accident-victims-india.html)

SaveLife Website

What They Do

Excellent Article by Forbes India

Quote:

Six years after Shivam’s death, Piyush Tewari, 33, his cousin and guardian (Shivam’s father passed away when he was six months old), still can’t get over the tragedy. “His death was avoidable. He kept begging people to take him to a hospital. They didn’t,” he says. After Shivam’s accident, Tewari made several trips to Kanpur to understand the circumstances of the accident and why people didn’t come forward to help.

That’s when the SaveLife Foundation was born in 2008 to create a network where bystanders can offer a basic level of life support to any accident victim.

In May 2011, Tewari, the India head of Calibrated Group, a Los Angeles-based private equity firm, quit his job to focus on SaveLife. He had spent enough time on the ground to figure out the problem. It starts the moment a bystander brings an accident victim to a hospital. “In the medical form, you can just write ‘brought by a bystander’. There is no need by law to mention the details of who has brought the victim in,” he says.

SaveLife now runs a project in Delhi, Noida and on NH-8 in Maharashtra, on the outskirts of Thane district. Early last year, Tewari roped in Religare Technologies to set up a call centre (No: 1800-200-3060) where people could report accidents. The call centre would then send out SMS alerts to all SaveLife volunteers, trained police officers, gas cutters and ambulances, so that people closest to the scene of the accident could rush in.

How They Work

SaveLife has a four-pronged strategy. One, it identifies the most accident-prone areas. Two, it trains volunteers from all walks of life—from police officers to shopkeepers and students. The volunteers are vetted by the police, so they are not harassed later. Finally, the volunteers get incentives—reimbursement of minor expenses and recognition—to help people out.
Picture Credit: Forbes India

SaveLIFE Foundation: Community-Driven Support for Road Accident Victims in India-topimg_22151_piyush_tiwari_600x400.jpg

Thanks for sharing this GTO.

Its a fantastic initiative from the SaveLife Foundation.

I owe my leg and my life to someone a couple who spotted my lying on the road after a bike accident and took to me the nearest hospital.

This is a GREAT initiative, hope it turns out to be successful. Sharing it on my facebook wall to spread the initiative.

Recently someone i knew was telling me a story about how their friend's life was saved by a passerby who administered CPR. (It wasn't an auto accident).

The interesting part was that the passerby had completed a CPR course just a week before!

A little bit of confidence (perhaps from brief training) is enough to overcome the standard "everyone is just standing around and doing nothing" or "everyone is just driving past like they don't care" problem.

cya
R

An article from Business Standard on SaveLIFE.
Quote:

"On Wednesday, 213,900 concerned citizens petitioned Prime Minister Narendra Modi to introduce a proposed Road Transport and Safety Bill, which suggests sweeping changes to make India’s roads safer, in the current Parliament session.
The Bill proposes a new authority with powers to formulate and ensure implementation of vehicle recall policies, as well as impose safety standards, such as mandatory crash tests and imposition of fines for engineering defects in vehicles. Besides, it seeks to make the licensing process more transparent — with automatic tests, push for greater electronic enforcement, compulsory seat belts, standards on visibility and safe distance, among other measures.
The man behind the signature campaign that led to the petition was Piyush Tewari.
The NGO got the support of actor (and now a Bharatiya Janata Party member of Parliament) Kirron Kher, who also moved a private member’s Bill on the issue.
Tewari was also irked by the fact that the current Motor Vehicles Act was out of sync with the needs of safety and required a new legislative framework. He says: “I discovered, to my shock, that the Act allowed goods carriers to protrude rods by up to one metre, and permitted states under it to increase the limit. So, in Goa, for example, the limit is two metres.”
Through a right to information (RTI) plea, SaveLIFE received data that revealed as many as 9,800 deaths in India in 2012 happened because of protruding rods. The NGO decided to again intervene legally, by filing a public-interest suit in the Supreme court. And, in March this year, the clause allowing protruding rods was stuck down. But Tewari agrees the challenge has begun only now, as the law’s enforcement, in practice, is more of an exception than a rule.
Therefore, the NGO has strongly advocated more electronic surveillance, so that human intervention in enforcement is reduced. Many say it is expensive and the government does not have the money. Tewari calls that argument bunkum. To illustrate, he cites data based on Delhi’s ITO intersection, one of the busiest in the city. There were 140 million violations at this intersection in a month but the number of vehicles fined was less than 7,000. A foolproof surveillance system for the intersection, with four cameras, would require only about Rs 48 lakh, which the police could more than make up for, through the manifold increase in challans.
Tewari says auto companies do not like a new authority being vested with powers on recall, which they want to remain voluntary and left to their will. Also, they do not want standards for safety in vehicles — like crash testing— to be imposed. To deflect attention, they argue prices of vehicles like cars will go up 15-20 per cent if these standards are followed. They are exaggerating, Tewari argues, as the price for an airbag was only Rs 3,000. And, while safety could not come for free, the cost involved is not too big, either. “If a consumer has to pay an extra Rs 20,000 on a car worth Rs 4 lakh, especially when he or she is paying the bill through equated monthly instalments, we don’t think anyone will have a problem in paying,” he says.
He also says the cost of safety, like in other countries, has to be shared among consumers, automobile companies and the government.
Obviously, regional transport offices also fear their discriminatory powers in giving licences and registering vehicles will go away with automation. A Transparency International study has estimated that vehicles in India pay Rs 22,000 crore annually as bribe on highways alone.

Full article here.

NGOs seek better rule enforcement, cautious driving for zero fatality E-way.

Quote:

The drop in the number of fatalities on the Pune-Mumbai expressway is the result of a coordinated effort between road safety NGO Save Life Foundation, the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation and Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. They have planned to make to make the expressway a zero fatality corridor by 2020.

The foundation signed an MOU with the state home department in 2016 to curb accidents on the expressway. A 12-member steering committee headed by the additional chief secretary of the home department was formed.

“We will combine road engineering, traffic enforcement, user engagement, and postcrash trauma care to reduce road crash deaths,” Piyush Tewari, the chief executive officer of Save Life Foundation, told TOI.
Full Article : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65747385.cms