Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2013, 23:51   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto K10: ZERO Star Safety Rating in the Latin NCAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Crossbar meaning crossmember or bumper beam?
Possible but not that simple. Removing crossmember would affect the resonant frequency of the BIW and lead to other unwanted squeaks and rattles that will kill them in warranty.
I was referring to the impact beams (side, front, probably some cars have it on either end of the cabins to prevent intrusion).
Old 16th August 2013, 00:00   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I was referring to the impact beams (side, front, probably some cars have it on either end of the cabins to prevent intrusion).
Side impact beam (inside door) and collapsible steering are 2 things that are usually mentioned in the website/brochure as part of the specification/features...so it should be easy to verify
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 11:06   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Sure, I can agree with that. My point was about removing parts that make the structure weaker.
Yep. The parts that are 'removed', or as manufacturers would say 'added on for other markets' are not really structural. More like things that were added on specifically for the purpose of getting a better crash rating. That would translate to - parts that improve passenger safety.

There was an example i came across recently, but am failing to remember it.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 11:37   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
We had planned for the Alto K10 two years back which was cancelled due to lack of space for me and my father. Hence, we bought the WagonR, which I feel is a better built car compared to the Alto, and given its platform shares some DNA with the JDM wagonR. Though sheet metal is thin, I feel it is the structure that counts more.
I was searching for Wagon R's crash test rating, are you sure that Wagon R sold here shares its platform with JDM wagon R? I mean is it as safe as the one sold in Japan or does it have any modifications done?
Old 16th August 2013, 11:58   #140
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Is it the Tata Aria 2wd? Quoting from Stratos' review of the vehicle:

Euro NCAP safety rating not applicable to the 4x2 (structural changes made)

In addition to the removal of the AWD system, the overall body / chassis construction has also been modified to lower the weight, which is why the Aria 4x2 cannot be rated on the Euro NCAP.

Last edited by RSR : 16th August 2013 at 12:07.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 11:58   #141
Senior - BHPian

You know Guna, my circle of friends are Zen fanatics. I was in two accidents, both in my friends' ZEN, which could have turned fatal if not for the sturdy build. And both involving BTS Buses.
Once head-on, and the other from rear. The rear one was particularly impactful as the bus was trying to jump the red light with hard acceleration, when our car had come to a full halt. We lost a bumper and the rear door caved in, glass shattered of course, but the rear occupants were safe. Both damages cost a few thousands to rebuild (In the range of 3-4k). The pre-Y2K zens have a great build.
So in a way I have taken practical lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
More then the sheet metal, the older cars like Zen, Esteem are said to be lacking the modern space frame/super structure, which Alto was supposed to have (and that's why relatively thicker A pillar).
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 12:13   #142
BHPian

Anyone came across any response from MSIL on this?
Old 16th August 2013, 17:32   #143
BHPian

Seeing that a relatively safer car was stretched and ruined by Maruti, I am now having rear-end doubts about the DZire and Tour. Does anyone know if they too are exported or are they India-only products?
Old 19th August 2013, 20:34   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too remember reading about this, and that too quite recently. Just can't recollect which car, and where. If you remember, please update the thread.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th August 2013, 22:46   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I too remember reading about this, and that too quite recently. Just can't recollect which car, and where. If you remember, please update the thread.

Regards
Sutripta
Are we talking about nano here? They added 18KG worth of structural elements to improve safety for the European version.

P.S : nano had already got 4 stars just by adding airbags to the Indian version
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 12:14   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Is it the Tata Aria 2wd? Quoting from Stratos' review of the vehicle:
Not the one i had in mind -- but this just goes to prove that its a commonly accepted practice, and further emphasizes the role laws & government play in actually making cars safer (vs. manufacturer initiative).

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Are we talking about nano here? They added 18KG worth of structural elements to improve safety for the European version.
Did not know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
If you remember, please update the thread.
I'm still drawing a blank (mayyybe it was the Sail U-VA); but i guess you've got 2 other examples above now.

cya
R
Old 20th August 2013, 20:57   #147
Senior - BHPian

Result of this thread: -
For city use I prefer the K10. This thread has now come to the notice of the family, who are now up in arms, wanting me to junk the K10. And seriously calling into question my knowledge of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
Seeing that a relatively safer car was stretched and ruined by Maruti, I am now having rear-end doubts about the DZire and Tour. Does anyone know if they too are exported or are they India-only products?
The K10 (at least my version) has quite a bit of wind noise at highway speeds, esp. if there is a slight crosswind on. The original Alto does not exhibit this. Leads me to believe that the K10 never saw the inside of a wind tunnel.

Quote:
but i guess you've got 2 other examples above now.
Guess Slymmed down cars for India!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:21   #148
BHPian

Shocked to see the crash test video. We also have a Alto K10 which my wife uses for her daily office commute. We strictly use it for city use only which was the sole objective when we bought it. Always considered it to be an unsafe option on highway anyways with no ABS and no Airbags. I always use our ANHC for highway runs
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:34   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Shocked to see the crash test video. We also have a Alto K10 which my wife uses for her daily office commute. We strictly use it for city use only which was the sole objective when we bought it. Always considered it to be an unsafe option on highway anyways with no ABS and no Airbags. I always use our ANHC for highway runs
It always makes sense to keep the small car for city run-abouts and take that sedan on the highways. They are more comfortable, safe and can handle much better than other versions like the hatchbacks, crossovers, SUVs etc.

What I am concerned with is the average Indian family; whose only car are these small hatchbacks which are mostly unsafe. And since, these are our only cars, we take that on highways too.
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:07   #150
BHPian

What surprises me is why this news is not being used by rivals in media, given the lows the Car market is facing tgis would be a good opportunity to gain some shares.

Is it because even rival companies are bot sure of their product's crash worthiness?

Most Viewed