Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 18:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto K10: ZERO Star Safety Rating in the Latin NCAP

I am sorry but this thread reeks of hypocrisy. No offence but most of the so called safety conscious beings here on team bhp can be regularly seen glorifying k10 as a performance car for the budget minded totally unmindful of the safety implications. And of course boasting the fuel efficiency as well.
Old 12th August 2013, 19:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry but this thread reeks of hypocrisy
Rubbish!

its only now that the car has been tested and the poor results revealed. Obviously nobody had predicted that it would be so bad.

If you had, then you should have spoken up? Hindsight is 20-20

Last edited by Mpower : 12th August 2013 at 20:42.
Mpower is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 19:19   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
It's about time we had an I-NCAP with the same norms as the Euro-NCAP, to put an end to manufacturers taking us on a death ride. If the hon'ble Supreme Court can force the govt. :
If not I-NCAP, at least we should have M-NCAP, where M stands for maruti. From suzuki cars that score decent safety ratings, if not the best, the MSIL engineers do their best job in cutting down weight and costs. Though this practice has stopped with the upper range of cars they sell, when it comes to small cars, the structure is made as thin and fragile as possible. There is a humongous difference in the way the Alto or wagonr is built, compared to say a swift or an Sx4. Hence, these people must be gifted a crash test facility and for every change they make during designing a car, one car must be crash tested, probably on the condition that whoever designs the car, must be one of the passengers(a light one here, no offense meant).

Thats when you will get better built and safer cars from MSIL.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 20:01   #49
BANNED

These crash tests and safety features are good to have and must to have in a country like America,where all of them have cars and people can choose between cars based on safety features.

But in a country like India where only a small percent of people have cars, and others are driving extra unsafe two-wheelers or walking on the streets to danger, any vehicle with more than 2 wheels are safer for them than a 2-wheeler. Adding all safety features and pushing the price of cars to a higher level will not help either. They can offer the safety features as an option, and whoever prefer them, can buy them. Why in the name of safety we need to restrict the basic safety of a car to many people?
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 20:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
These crash tests and safety features are good to have and must to have in a country like America,where all of them have cars and people can choose between cars based on safety features.

But in a country like India where only a small percent of people have cars, and others are driving extra unsafe two-wheelers or walking on the streets to danger, any vehicle with more than 2 wheels are safer for them than a 2-wheeler. Adding all safety features and pushing the price of cars to a higher level will not help either. They can offer the safety features as an option, and whoever prefer them, can buy them. Why in the name of safety we need to restrict the basic safety of a car to many people?
Completely agree with your point here.

But I dont think it really costs a lot to make the basic structure of a car safer than what many of our cheap cars offer today. The Nano for example proves that there is quite a bit of safety offered by just having a good chassis structure. The cost of having properly designed structure is not going to massively increase the price of a car.

Also on the other hand, manufacturers in India dont give the option to its customers to chose safety features over other comfort features, by offering ABS and airbags only on the top end variants. Why not offer optional ABS, EBD, Airbags on all variants?? Why not have more than just 2-airbags on offer as optional equipment, or even other electronic safety features as optional??

I agree, blanket implementation of European level safety standards in India is not an option yet. But manufacturers must be made to comply with some level of safety, as well as being required to offer at least ABS and 2 airbags as optional on every variant of every car in the market.

Safety should be made an important factor in the minds of car buyers, and every car buyer should be allowed the opportunity to spend as much as he can on safety equipment.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 20:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Rubbish!

its only now that the car has been tested and the poor results revealed. Obviously nobody had predicted that it would be so bad.

If you had, the you should have spoken up? Hindsight is 20-20
Did it really needed a test to prove its safety or rather lack of it? We always knew it and it sounds like a poor excuse when we say it needed a test to prove that Alto offered poor safety. Neither the review talked about safety, nor the subsequent ownership reviews by eventual owners. The fact is deep down all we want in a small car is cheap spares, good fuel mileage with very little towards safety or security.
Old 12th August 2013, 20:28   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Why not offer optional ABS, EBD, Airbags on all variants??
Completely agree. The safety features should be made available as optional on all models. Please find what I mentioned in my mail: "They can offer the safety features as an option, and whoever prefer them, can buy them."

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th August 2013 at 20:30.
Old 12th August 2013, 20:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did it really needed a test to prove its safety or rather lack of it? We always knew it and it sounds like a poor excuse when we say it needed a test to prove that Alto offered poor safety. Neither the review talked about safety, nor the subsequent ownership reviews by eventual owners. The fact is deep down all we want in a small car is cheap spares, good fuel mileage with very little towards safety or security.
How do you evaluate crash safety on a test drive & pray tell me how an owner is supposed to evaluate safety as it relates to crash performance? Clearly we are not into guesswork although we do mention the age & origins of the platform to the best of our knowledge (note this is something not revealed by OEMs)

Were others like Autocar (with their big budgets) able to provide any more insight than us?

We report on other features that contribute to safety like
  • Braking
  • Grip at high speed
  • Ability to make evasive manuveres
  • visibility & ergonomics
  • wiper performance (subject to weather)
  • Presence of airbags/ABS/EBD/BAS/ESP
  • Provision to fit Child seats in a secure manner

Last edited by Mpower : 13th August 2013 at 02:57.
Mpower is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 20:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

I think there is no point in bashing any car company here, car makers will give us what we demand!

A-star has decent safety rating but failed due to the price tag. Making a car safe needs lot of investment which must be passed on to the customer who rejects it completely, thinking they will never crash. I want to replace my sedan with a decent petrol hatch(used) with safety features, but market is flooded with fuel efficient unsafe cars(ABS and airbags are ALWAYS given a miss if they are optional). This shows peoples attitude towards safety while purchasing a car.

Cars which are well built(in terms of safety) like Punto do not sell well because they are heavier and as a result return less mileage.If buyers do not want a safe car, seller will not design one, its as simple as that.
Old 12th August 2013, 20:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, quite some time back, when Mr. Suzuki came to India, he refused to ride along in one of his own cars. A MB was arranged!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 21:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you evaluate crash safety on a test drive & pray tell me how an owner is supposed to evaluate safety as it relates to crash performance? Clearly we are not into guesswork although we do mention the age & origins of the platform to the best of our knowledge (note this is something not revealed by OEMs)

Are others like Autocar (with their big budgets) able to prove any more insight than us?

• Braking
  • Grip at high speed
  • Ability to make evasive manuveres
  • visibility & ergonomics
  • wiper performance (subject to weather)
  • Presence of airbags/ABS/EBD/BAS/ESP
  • Provision to fit Child seats in a secure manner
I agree when you say you cannot objectively comment on the safety aspect in absence of quantitative data. But then again if I were to slightly change the looks of the 800 altering the front bumpers without touching the basic platform, it doesn't take an Einstein to understand that it will meet the same fate as far safety is concerned. Secondly in all these test reviews we never even raised a question mark on the safety choosing to glorify instead the performance aspect which basically is a result of the bare basic light platform poor on safety.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 21:46   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am sorry but this thread reeks of hypocrisy.
Quote:
Rubbish!
Cut the emotional reactions please.

IMO - almost everyone knows these cars dont offer much in terms of safety. I knew when we had our M800. It was not a safe car either, but then - it was safer than a family travelling on a motorcycle, or Omni (which was the only other choice available). Not much has changed till now - safety still comes at a price!
Quote:
[list][*]Braking[*]Grip at high speed[*]Ability to make evasive manuveres[*]visibility & ergonomics[*]wiper performance (subject to weather)[*]Presence of airbags/ABS/EBD/BAS/ESP[*]Provision to fit Child seats in a secure manner
Both of you have your points here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...-pictures.html
@Mpower: Only handling is mentioned, and that too - the understeer from an enthusiast's POV. No references to airbag/ ABS. Now lets move on?

@extreme_torque: The review was still during the early days and the format and standards have changed since then. I'm sure you'll agree the current reviews are as detailed as it gets. Lets discuss on the car/ or its competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I think there is no point in bashing any car company here, car makers will give us what we demand!
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
But in a country like India where only a small percent of people have cars, and others are driving extra unsafe two-wheelers or walking on the streets to danger, any vehicle with more than 2 wheels are safer for them than a 2-wheeler. Adding all safety features and pushing the price of cars to a higher level will not help either.
+1.

I own a 2004 WagonR in the family which might not fare much better from the k10 either. But then - it was a big step up from the barebones 800 then! All the talk about structure, airbags etc came only when we could afford the Punto.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th August 2013 at 21:47.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 21:51   #58
BHPian

I think it would be interesting to see how the 'L' variants of all Maruti hatches fare up in such a crash test. What say?
Old 12th August 2013, 21:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I own a 2004 WagonR in the family which might not fare much better from the k10 either. But then - it was a big step up from the barebones 800 then! All the talk about structure, airbags etc came only when we could afford the Punto.
I think Santro has got three stars, I agree that difference between santro and wagon R in terms of safety may not have been know back in 2004, but now a days we can gather all the information we want from internet.

Can someone throw some light on Wagon R's rating? One sold in japan performed decently.
Old 12th August 2013, 22:29   #60
BHPian

Is it reasonable to assume that claims from policy holders of zero/poor safety rated cars are more than those that are rated better ? If yes, do they consider the safety features/rating while calculating the preimum ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks