Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 23:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Thanks for the Video.
I was wondering, in an event of crash the large LCD screen placed in the middle result in glass splinters hurting eye / body ?
Good point but these days the LCD/LED panels are made of laminated safety glass! I'm not sure if you have observed a cracked smartphone screen that looks like a cracked windshield of a car.

@Rehaan: Your response was faster than mine

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 22nd August 2013 at 23:19.
Old 23rd August 2013, 07:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
....[*] Sure does look like its the lowest point on the graph! == Safest car, despite sharing the "5-star" group with 122 others[/list]
Very True, yet why would NHTSA do that?

Telsa has already stated this(what NHTSA has released) in their first press release,

"NHTSA does not publish a star rating above 5, however safety levels better than 5 stars are captured in the overall Vehicle Safety Score (VSS) provided to manufacturers, where the Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars."
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:49   #18
Team-BHP Support

The Government Is Mad At Tesla For Saying It Got The Best Safety Rating Ever

http://www.businessinsider.com/gover...#ixzz2clpWOLRU

Quote:
NHTSA strongly discourages the use of potentially misleading words such as "perfect," "safest," "flawless" or "best in class" to describe the star rating received by the vehicle. More acceptable phrases to describe a vehicle receiving a 5-star rating would include phrases such as "highest" or "maximum" safety rating or "top" safety ratings or score.

John Voelcker at Green Car Reports notes "this isn't the first time that Tesla's overreached in its marketing and public relations," and that "its corporate culture seems to include disregarding various rules and practices it doesn't like.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Very True, yet why would NHTSA do that?
My guess is they didn't have an issue with them saying its the "Safest" car, as much as they did with this 'extrapolation' by Tesla >>

Quote:
"...the Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars."
^ though i have no idea how they arrived at this 5.4 star combined rating. Anyone care to explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The Government Is Mad At Tesla For Saying It Got The Best Safety Rating Ever

Quote:
NHTSA strongly discourages the use of potentially misleading words such as .... "best in class" to describe the star rating.

More acceptable phrases to describe a vehicle ... would include phrases such as "highest" or "maximum" safety rating or "top" safety ratings or score.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard!

They CAN'T say : Tesla S gets the best safety rating
But they CAN say : Tesla S gets the highest safety rating

They CAN'T say : Tesla S gets the best in class safety rating
But they CAN say : Tesla S gets the top safety rating

Makes no sense to me!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th August 2013 at 21:33. Reason: Splitting post to main Tesla Thread
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 14:29   #20
BHPian

Gotta love it when a niche company betters the giants of the automotive industry. Troll manufacturer of the year ? Yeeeees.

Tesla's costs primarily arises from the cost of the batteries, like in any other electric car. If battery tech improves and production costs lower, the tesla could easily become a VFM car.

Looking at Tesla the future of cars is 'quiet safe'
Xeno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 11:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Has anyone seen these jump seats on the Model S? Seems you can seat kids who are less than 8 years old in the jump seats in the rear boot. That makes the Model S a 5+2(kids) car. Almost an MPV.

Even with kids in the boot, you get the front storage area under the hood for bags.

Attachment 1127197
Oh, so this is the third row seating that was mentioned in the first post with an extra bumper , wow . I was wondering how they managed to have a third row in a sedan, now mystery is resolved, thanks Vid6639. It is an innovative idea considering that safety of third row i also taken into account. Great car and it is time, that the Germans and Japs take a bow. Vid6639, so you mean the luggage space is there beneath the bonnet ?
Old 26th August 2013, 13:17   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
Vid6639, so you mean the luggage space is there beneath the bonnet ?
Yes there is another boot in the front beneath the bonnet. Take a look at these photos:

Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!-2012teslamodels_100365754_m.jpg

Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!-teslamodels_ss09.jpg

Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!-tesla_3.jpg
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 13:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes there is another boot in the front beneath the bonnet. Take a look at these photos:
Thanks mate !, this is so damn cool and greatly innovative, why don't others take a leaf out of this example. Honda can come up with something similar to suit their "man maximum machine minimum" principle.
But if you hadn't shown me this pics & explanation and if I were to see this bonnet for the first time, I would have thought this to be dummy car .
But I really appreciate & applaud innovations like these and would even consider to pledge my house to buy one.
Old 27th August 2013, 21:25   #24
djs
BHPian

Kudos to Tesla team. Its amazing how just about in a decade, Tesla is trying to redefine the automotive industry in US and this Best safety rating is yet another feather in the cap. Without doubt, it is the most innovative company in auto arena and its time now the biggies of auto world will start taking the Tesla threat seriously. More so, its not the first company to venture into EV's .

Thought of sharing couple of links which give an insight on Tesla, though the content doesn't focus on safety standards in particular. Key is perhaps to cut the cost of battery down to make them more affordable and developing a huge infrastructure for Charging stations. As GTO mentioned, Just like Apple with a great smartphone powerful App ecosystem surrounding it.

http://www.makingthingsoutofnothing....s-can-innovate

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...ar-innovation/
Old 27th August 2013, 22:14   #25
BHPian

In California where Tesla is manufactured, it's outselling Porsche & Range Rover.

Here is the news - http://news.yahoo.com/tesla-outselli...102816615.html.

-- Jose
Old 25th October 2013, 14:41   #26
BHPian

Came across couple of news articles related to Tesla S model catching fire outside of Seattle, Washington.

The CEO had to explain this crash in media. Looks like a metal object from semi-trailer fell on highway and hit the tesla. The battery compartment was completed burned down but fire couldnt enter passenger cabin.

This tells a lot about great build, safety of Tesla & fire fighting capability of fire fighters. Kudos !!!

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/04/news...-model-s-fire/

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-fie...ike-1440143525
Old 25th October 2013, 16:20   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Came across couple of news articles related to Tesla S model catching fire outside of Seattle, Washington.
Here's the discussion on that : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3255096

cya
R
Old 8th November 2013, 07:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla reports third fire involving Model S.

Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!-ar131109859.jpg

Quote:

Tesla Motors Inc.'s Model S electric car has suffered its third fire in six weeks

The Tesla Motors Club Web site contains pictures and a story about another fire involving a Model S on Wednesday afternoon that a company spokeswoman confirmed. Photos also appeared on Instagram

In a statement today, NHTSA said it will contact local authorities about the latest fire "to determine if there are vehicle safety implications that merit agency action.

Since Tesla’s popularity has grown quite a lot, some conspiracy theory adepts claim that mainstream US carmakers could have a hand in these Tesla fire stories.

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th November 2013 at 07:53.
Old 14th November 2013, 02:51   #29
BHPian

Tesla is in news again for bad reasons. This time the fire is in their factory in Fremont, CA. 3 workers have been injured. Here is the link -

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...231789881.html
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 14:23   #30
BHPian

Here is a befitting reply from Elon Musk on the safety concerns in Tesla S:

The Mission of Tesla

Please tell me where in the world, would you read this sort of commitment from the CEO of a Company.

Big fan of Elon Musk!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks