Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2013, 11:27   #1
BHPian

Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!

Quote:
TESLA MODEL S ACHIEVES BEST SAFETY RATING OF ANY CAR EVER TESTED

SETS NEW NHTSA VEHICLE SAFETY SCORE RECORD

MONDAY, AUGUST 19, 2013
Palo Alto, CA — Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Tesla Model S a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory without exception. Approximately one percent of all cars tested by the federal government achieve 5 stars across the board. NHTSA does not publish a star rating above 5, however safety levels better than 5 stars are captured in the overall Vehicle Safety Score (VSS) provided to manufacturers, where the Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars.

Of all vehicles tested, including every major make and model approved for sale in the United States, the Model S set a new record for the lowest likelihood of injury to occupants. While the Model S is a sedan, it also exceeded the safety score of all SUVs and minivans. This score takes into account the probability of injury from front, side, rear and rollover accidents.

The Model S has the advantage in the front of not having a large gasoline engine block, thus creating a much longer crumple zone to absorb a high speed impact. This is fundamentally a force over distance problem – the longer the crumple zone, the more time there is to slow down occupants at g loads that do not cause injuries. Just like jumping into a pool of water from a tall height, it is better to have the pool be deep and not contain rocks. The Model S motor is only about a foot in diameter and is mounted close to the rear axle, and the front section that would normally contain a gasoline engine is used for a second trunk.

For the side pole intrusion test, considered one of the most difficult to pass, the Model S was the only car in the "good" category among the other top one percent of vehicles tested. Compared to the Volvo S60, which is also 5-star rated in all categories, the Model S preserved 63.5 percent of driver residual space vs. 7.8 percent for the Volvo. Tesla achieved this outcome by nesting multiple deep aluminum extrusions in the side rail of the car that absorb the impact energy (a similar approach was used by the Apollo Lunar Lander) and transfer load to the rest of the vehicle. This causes the pole to be either sheared off or to stop the car before the pole hits an occupant.

The rear crash testing was particularly important, given the optional third row children's seat. For this, Tesla factory installs a double bumper if the third row seat is ordered. This was needed in order to protect against a highway speed impact in the rear with no permanently disabling injury to the third row occupants. The third row is already the safest location in the car for frontal or side injuries.

The Model S was also substantially better in rollover risk, with the other top vehicles being approximately 50 percent worse. During testing at an independent facility, the Model S refused to turn over via the normal methods and special means were needed to induce the car to roll. The reason for such a good outcome is that the battery pack is mounted below the floor pan, providing a very low center of gravity, which simultaneously ensures exceptional handling and safety.

Of note, during validation of Model S roof crush protection at an independent commercial facility, the testing machine failed at just above 4 g's. While the exact number is uncertain due to Model S breaking the testing machine, what this means is that at least four additional fully loaded Model S vehicles could be placed on top of an owner's car without the roof caving in. This is achieved primarily through a center (B) pillar reinforcement attached via aerospace grade bolts.

The above results do not tell the full story. It is possible to game the regulatory testing score to some degree by strengthening a car at the exact locations used by the regulatory testing machines. After verifying through internal testing that the Model S would achieve a NHTSA 5-star rating, Tesla then analyzed the Model S to determine the weakest points in the car and retested at those locations until the car achieved 5 stars no matter how the test equipment was configured.

The Model S lithium-ion battery did not catch fire at any time before, during or after the NHTSA testing. It is worth mentioning that no production Tesla lithium-ion battery has ever caught fire in the Model S or Roadster, despite several high speed impacts. While this is statistically unlikely to remain the case long term, Tesla is unaware of any Model S or Roadster occupant fatalities in any car ever.

The graphic below shows the statistical Relative Risk Score (RSS) of Model S compared with all other vehicles tested against the exceptionally difficult NHTSA 2011 standards. In 2011, the standards were revised upward to make it more difficult to achieve a high safety rating.
Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!-modelsfivestarsafetyrating.jpg

Source - http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pre...ar-ever-tested

Last edited by Gandhi : 20th August 2013 at 11:30.
Gandhi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 13:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!

Hats off to Elon Musk & the Tesla team for yet another feather in the cap.

I'm just amazed how Tesla - a minuscule player in the auto world - has bested companies with R&D budgets that are multiple times Tesla's worth. The Tesla Model S is right up there in terms of innovation, quality, experience and now...safety.

Consumer Reports rated this Tesla as the best car they've ever tested. Coming from CR, that is saying a heck of a lot.

It was generally assumed that no one can touch Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar etc. in the area of luxury cars. Their R&D budgets & commitment to quality was impossible to reach for regular manufacturers. Forget a tiny organisation like Tesla, even heavy weights like General Motors are considered to be incapable of that level of finesse.

In some ways, Tesla is the "Apple" of the automotive world.

Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!-modelsproduction.jpg
Pic Source : Cleantechnica.com

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2013 at 16:19.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 14:20   #3
Team-BHP Support

Let me quote Autocar UK

Quote:
Into that context, enter the first instalment. In the first three months of 2013, this car outsold the Mercedes S-class, the Lexus LS and the Audi A8 in its domestic market. It beat the BMW 7-series by more than two to one. So it’s proving quite popular – and not just for an EV.
Worth getting one of these for regular commutes and keep a gas guzzler for the fun ride!
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 15:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone seen these jump seats on the Model S? Seems you can seat kids who are less than 8 years old in the jump seats in the rear boot. That makes the Model S a 5+2(kids) car. Almost an MPV.

Even with kids in the boot, you get the front storage area under the hood for bags.

Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!-teslasbackseats.jpg
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 15:41   #5
BHPian

I have fallen for this car ever since i have seen it. The crash worthiness is really amazing. It is really a car to own. Hope volumes will make it more affordable
Old 20th August 2013, 17:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of "overachieving", don't miss this part of the press release:

Quote:
The above results do not tell the full story. It is possible to game the regulatory testing score to some degree by strengthening a car at the exact locations used by the regulatory testing machines. After verifying through internal testing that the Model S would achieve a NHTSA 5-star rating, Tesla then analyzed the Model S to determine the weakest points in the car and retested at those locations until the car achieved 5 stars no matter how the test equipment was configured.
Also here's a video for those who might be interested:
@0:33 - note the steering wheel slide further towards the dash
@2:48 - The massive crumple-zone at the front (since there's no engine) does wonders for reducing the rate of deceleration.

Don't miss these other threads for the Tesla S if you're interested :

1) Tesla S First Ownership Impressions

2) General Tesla S thread

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2013 at 08:57. Reason: Video link added.
Rehaan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 17:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Except for the rear to some extent, it looks really plain. Hope you dont have to fiddle with controls from the screen in normal driving. Switches would be helpful otherwise.
Old 20th August 2013, 19:10   #8
BHPian

TESLA keeps amazing me all the time!

There are two tesla model S's in our town. One is white and the other a black one. The white can be seen in the community garage being charged all the time.

The other day I was passing a red model S on I-95, and I thumbs upped the driver of the car who was a middle aged man. He started smiling at me, must be feeling proud owning that car. Hell who would not be
Old 20th August 2013, 20:11   #9
BHPian

Daimler has substantial stake in Tesla. Tesla will provide electric drives and battery for many upcoming Daimler electric cars. In a way, Telsa's success is a big boost for Daimler.
Old 20th August 2013, 23:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During testing at an independent facility, the Model S refused to turn over via the normal methods and special means were needed to induce the car to roll.
Eh. Bring it to India. We can roll anything over.

But my favorite part of the report is where it mentions that the car broke the testing equipment!! Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

I see makings of a new phrase: Built Like a Tesla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Except for the rear to some extent, it looks really plain. Hope you dont have to fiddle with controls from the screen in normal driving. Switches would be helpful otherwise.
Although the thread is about the car's safety rating, let me assure you that the car when seen in the flesh, makes its presence felt. There are two in the parking garage of my company and I ogle at them everyday.
Old 20th August 2013, 23:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Although the thread is about the car's safety rating, let me assure you that the car when seen in the flesh, makes its presence felt. There are two in the parking garage of my company and I ogle at them everyday.
I do that too everyday. There's one black and one white in the parking of my company. Hopefully they'll have the budget version of it in few years. I'll take Tesla S' exterior design over any other car right now.
Old 21st August 2013, 02:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I do that too everyday. There's one black and one white in the parking of my company. Hopefully they'll have the budget version of it in few years. I'll take Tesla S' exterior design over any other car right now.
I love the car. Test drove it twice at the dealership. My wifey is an even bigger fan. She loves the overall smoothness and serenity of the car - the effortless power delivery and quietness blew her over. She wasn't even planning to test drive but now she really hopes we could afford one.

That said - amazing achievement for a startup in an industry that is heavily dominated by traditional biggies. The powertrain was a tight slap on the faces of the GMs/Fords/Toyotas/VWs of the world, now this is even better considering so many of the high volume cars recently did rather poorly in the crash tests - especially the small overall test.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:37   #13
BHPian

Behold:Tesla Model S is NOT the Safest Car Ever, Say Feds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Source
That said, a 5-star rating for the Tesla Model S is equal to any other car with a rating of 5-stars, with another example being the Volvo S60.

In addition, the agency chides Tesla’s overzealous claims, commenting that it, “has guidelines in place for automakers and advertising agencies to follow, helping ensure that accurate information is portrayed to the public.”

Did Tesla follow those guidelines? It’s likely the electric automaker, its eccentric CEO, Elon Musk, and its clever PR department will find a way to chime-in.
More @ http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ver-nhtsa.html
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:31   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the Video.
I was wondering, in an event of crash the large LCD screen placed in the middle result in glass splinters hurting eye / body ?
Old 22nd August 2013, 23:02   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Behold:Tesla Model S is NOT the Safest Car Ever, Say Feds
"the Tesla Model S is equal to any other car with a rating of 5-stars"
Look at this graph that was shared in the first post. From my limited understanding of it, here's what i can tell:
  • Number of vehicles shown on graph = 381
  • The star ratings are based on probability of injury. 5* = < 10% probability, 4* = 10-15% probability, and so on. (see the p=% numbers near each vertical boundary line)
  • Out of the 381 cars shown, only 123 got a 5-star rating
  • The scores of the 381 cars are actually measures in "Relative Risk Score (RRS)" and then simplified to a "star" rating.
  • The red line is a plot of all the tested cars' RSS' (or Combined VSS = ?Vehicle Safety Score?)
  • Look at the top right. "Model S" written in blue, pointing to a RSS of 0.43
  • Sure does look like its the lowest point on the graph! == Safest car, despite sharing the "5-star" group with 122 others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I was wondering, in an event of crash the large LCD screen placed in the middle result in glass splinters hurting eye / body ?
I had my eye on that too (more so to see if it cracked than shattered). Glass splinters aren't something to worry about. Don't forget that there's a huge glass windshield up ahead

I'm guessing either the LCD glass is laminated/toughened, or its plastic.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2013 at 23:05.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks