Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 21:22   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Serious Accident. If there are lessons to be taken from this accident.. then these points would stand valid
1. Wear Seat Belt
2. Wait and move ahead, at Cross Roads no matter how long it takes
3. Slow down at Junctions and T-junctions, or median gaps
4. Always drive with SAFETY FIRST motto. After all it is all about our own lives.
Dear Mate, Very well concluded post I must say. Considering every angle of the scenario. After going by this incident, I would like to put forward an idea, TEAM BHP Forum can conduct awareness workshops pertaining to road safety and since its a renowned forum people in all states will be more then willing to be a attendant in these workshops.

Want to know your view.

AD
Old 5th September 2013, 22:02   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobalan View Post
But one question comes to mind now, may be this would have discussed here earlier but if not, please someone explain this.
I believe the impact would have reduced if its a car instead of an omni van,
Maruti omni's are still made the same from the 90's. just a piece of metal sheet and glass on front. Lack of safety regulations are primary reason for this car still in production. Is there any attempt from public or authorities
or case against manufacturing this car..?
Buddy, Very Potent Question as to why Omnis are still purchased and manufactured. As described by you in true sense it is as thin as paper with no safety parameeters followed. Now coming to the steps taken by pubic; see; public initiative on it holds no ground honestly, even boycotting this vehicle is of no use. If in literal sense it is avoided by people then 2 major industries shall suffer namely: Logistic and Medical.

Second, We cannot hold the company liable in the accidents that occur with omni, you shall agree with me to some extent that Maruti never forced the people to go for Omni, Its the consumer's choice. Secondly, the driver would have been well aware of the limitations of the vehicle so why still he gambled with lifes? Insane driving cannot raise a question on the brand, though i too personally dont feel safe in a omni.

AD
Old 5th September 2013, 23:13   #108
BHPian

Oh my god, I am speechless for once with the horrific thing I have just witnessed.
I wanted to analyse the whole thing properly and so watched the footage many times and would like to conclude.

1) The Honda City's only fault was over speeding again as I am unaware of the speed or the limits, can not really say, but as is a rule everywhere in the world, a straight going car has first right of passage. Again if she broke a traffic light, then I do not know.

2) People should start following road rules, if that van driver had any idea about right of passage, he would have never gone in. Again if this was his light then again he should have been more careful.

3) Maruti should be banned from selling this God damned Van, it has been pretty much banned everywhere else for being Death on wheels. Look at the condition of the City and the Van afterwords, spend money on safety guys, it is moments like this when that extra 50,000 is worth everything.

4) Shame on the Santro guy, agreed he might have been scared but to just run off. Come on dude for the sake of humanity at least do something.
Old 5th September 2013, 23:20   #109
BHPian

Looking at the footage whats amazes me that even the Indica on the other side was trying to jump the intersection. I sensed he was himself in two minds whether to pass or not. Maybe he was looking at the omni for clues to pass or not. It's would have been a much greater disaster had he also ventured into the intersection.
Old 5th September 2013, 23:21   #110
BHPian

Looking at the footage, the frame rate on the film makes it look like Honda City is faster than it probably was. More than speeding, I feel the fault with the City was not slowing down at an intersection. I mean even if the driver of the City did not anticipate the Omni, he should have still slowed down for the Santro.
Old 6th September 2013, 08:26   #111
Senior - BHPian

While we are saying the city had the right of way, why are we forgetting that right of way or not, one has to slow down while approaching an intersection which the city clearly didn't do. Another rule is to enter an intersection only after the other vehicle has exited. While this may be difficult to practice, the city should have atleast slowed down for the santro which had already entered the intersection.
Old 6th September 2013, 08:36   #112
BHPian

There is hardly any damage to the cage of the honda city and look at the damage on the van.
This proves time and again that crash worthiness is important.

If for once -
1) Instead of Maruti van, if it were to be a vehicle developed in recent times with higher crash worthiness, people would have walked away from this situation

2) If buckledup, there were higher chances that the injured would have suffered lesser injury, but the deceased would have got mangled further due to crash unworthiness of the van.

Important and valid criteria during the car purchase.

Another important learning - approach any signal defensively and cautiously.
RIP!
Old 6th September 2013, 08:47   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
There is hardly any damage to the cage of the honda city and look at the damage on the van.
This proves time and again that crash worthiness is important.
This may be a bit off topic but I completely agree with you about the lack of safety in an Omni. As someone wrote earlier, it's like the driver has a chiffon saree for front protection. I for one believe that this vehicle has outlived its era and should be dropped from Maruti's portfolio. Once again it takes an incident like this to highlight the lack of importance we pay to safety features in cars. Wish all OEMs stay incorporating airbags and ABS into their base variants and all SUVs get ESP as well.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:01   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
4) Shame on the Santro guy, agreed he might have been scared but to just run off. Come on dude for the sake of humanity at least do something.
Well, he did the sensible thing of crossing the road, parking the car safely and coming for help. Do observe once again.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:01   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post

The Santro guy did not run away. Infact I would say he did the most sensible thing and istead of leaving his car in the middle of the road potentially inviting another accident, he went ahead and parked his car on the side of the road across the junction and then put the blinkers on and came towards the accident scene. Look carefully again.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:07   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

The Santro guy did not run away. Infact I would say he did the most sensible thing and istead of leaving his car in the middle of the road potentially inviting another accident, he went ahead and parked his car on the side of the road across the junction and then put the blinkers on and came towards the accident scene. Look carefully again.
My bad, I did not notice the guy parking on the other side. Sorry santro dude.
Old 6th September 2013, 11:05   #117
BHPian

It is pretty obvious that the Omni driver saw the Santro slowing down and wanted to cross it soon as soon as possible, notice that he didn't even attempt to slow down while taking a right. He was probably watching only Santro.
Most of the blame goes to the Omni driver and not the city one.
This would have still resulted in a crash, had the city was 20kmph slower, but the impact would have been in the center or the rear of the Omni.
Old 6th September 2013, 11:50   #118
BHPian

This video is symptomatic of almost everything that is wrong with Urban India. Depressing to the core.

1) People dont follow rules because they think they are too smart for the law (City)
2) People impervious their own safety, not being careful (Omni)
3) Increasing lack of humanity - So many cars just drove past - this is the worst and the most shocking part!!
4) Extreme ignorance on part of city dwellers on first aid - people are just staring at the bodies as if they are some macabre museum exhibit
5) Bad Town planning - typically such a junction should have had a round about - forcing everybody to slow down and get into the roundabout rather than trying to speed past
6) Corporate love for profits at all costs - The omni has been known to be a coffin on wheels in this country, Maruti has recovered its investment many times over with that vehicle, but they continue to sell it.

So very very depressing.
Old 6th September 2013, 12:11   #119
BHPian

Horrific. The Omni guys should have been more cautios for the own safety but the primary blame lies with the Honda city lady. She is just going too fast and is on the Omni in a flash. She seems to be doing 100 kmph +. Should have slowed down at a junction.

It is difficult to judge the speed of a vehicle when coming head on. Even if the Omni guy saw her, he would have never have gussed that the honda would reach the junction so soon.

I hope the Honda driver at least gets convicted for rash driving with such unimpeachable evidence, a blumbering public prosecution notwithstanding.
Old 6th September 2013, 12:24   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
3) Increasing lack of humanity - So many cars just drove past - this is the worst and the most shocking part!!
4) Extreme ignorance on part of city dwellers on first aid - people are just staring at the bodies as if they are some macabre museum exhibit
One reason, lot of people of scared of looking at accident scene, some may even faint.
Another reason, people are weary of getting entangled in the case, especially the possibility of victim dying while trying to help out.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks