Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 12:52   #121
BHPian

Re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Not all intersections on this road have a signal. The speed limit on this road is 60km/hr only. But considering that this is the only pothole free road people just let rip their cars/bikes.
I feel both parties are to be blamed here one for not slowing down and the other for not waiting for the vehicle to pass through (this is a very common problem), they just expect the others to brake without even realizing what speeds the oncoming vehicle is at.
Old 6th September 2013, 13:32   #122
BHPian

Very bad accident and should really be traumatic to all around. This place is quite close to where I stay and I have been on the palm beach road umpteen times. Speeding is quite common here, especially at night ... The T-junctions along the entire stretch is dangerous when there is no signals and no policemen as most drivers do not follow basic traffic rules/ethics or use common sense.
From the footage I would point out couple of basic stuff that all drivers should understand.
1. When you see a vehicle cutting your road ahead, always turn your steering right side, i.e. towards the passenger side of the vehicle. For e.g. the maruti van was cutting across from left to right, the honda city should have turned towards the right instead of left. She probably would have avoided the van completely or even if hit, the people in the van would not have been affected so badly.
2. Before any intersection or T-junction (in India), slow down your vehicle by exactly half the speed of what you were cruising.
3. The Maruti Van driver did not anticipate the speed of the incoming vehicle hence did not speed up the crossing. When turning right, you are always blinded due to co-passenger or the window. Always give way to the on-coming vehicles first. Did you notice that right green signal is always turned on only when all signals on the opposite and right hand roads are turned red?
4. There are some drivers who think that he can drive through and all other drivers should brake and adjust their speed accordingly. Such drivers are the ones who eventually get into accidents and then blame others for speeding etc.

In the footage, almost all vehicles (including the Santro) made small nonsensical mistakes which ended up in this huge accident. But, I feel the biggest mistake was committed by the Maruti Van driver, he simply was ignoring the oncoming traffic.
Old 6th September 2013, 17:41   #123
BHPian

in our country, large number of people hands their life on the mercy of other drivers. Don't know how they are confident on others where I am not always confident about myself. Though, I am enjoying for almost 15 years.

I see this everyday, people coming wrong side even in night without headlight on on highways, city-roads, traffic Jams, everywhere. People jumping off the divider raising a hand as if my car's break understand their hand signal. Driving car having kids sitting on the rear seat and door is almost open. In my opinion they are all inviting death for them and others who are around. You find those idiots everyday on the road. I feel really disgrace about the driving sense of the people in India and indeed i am not an exception here. People don't even bother to open their side mirror because they are afraid that it might break. Amazing, even a mirror has more cost than a life.

This video is very scary and i feel sorry for those who are in hospital and the one who is resting in Peace.

I guess both the drivers were at fault but higher the HondaCity as you should always keep your machine in control.
Old 6th September 2013, 18:09   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
This is an almost repetition of the accident that happened in Ahmedabad. Two young boys riding the bike lost their lives and another boy who was driving the BMW is still in jail awaiting trial.
You remembered it too? So did I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydras View Post
One constructive use of this thread would be to ponder over how such an incident could be avoided.
For eg: why doesn't the concerned road safety authority enforce simple things like existence of seat belts in commercial vehicles, ABS and at least dual front airbags for passenger vehicles...
That would'nt have avoided the accident. It would've given better chances of everyone walking away. But avoiding it needs a behavioural or mindset change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
...Very Potent Question as to why Omnis are still purchased and manufactured. As described by you in true sense it is as thin as paper with no safety parameeters followed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
I firmly believe that Omni is not a safe car in any respect. They should be prohibited to be driven on road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobalan View Post
Maruti omni's are still made the same from the 90's. just a piece of metal sheet and glass on front. Lack of safety regulations are primary reason for this car still in production. Is there any attempt from public or authorities
or case against manufacturing this car..?
Quote:
Why are sale of vehicles such as the Omni being allowed in 2013?
You gentlemen are absolutely right! I genuinely agree with your concerns.

Now, please add all Autorickshaws and 3-wheeled cargo carriers also to the list. How about the Tata Ace? Wouldn't that make the list too? I am sure you will agree that each of these vehicles are at least as unsafe, if not more than, the Omni. So now, imagine the day when all of these cease to exist on Indian roads. How far away is that day? Can the India we know today realistically achieve that in the next 5 years? How about in the next 10 years?

This is India. We are the inventors of the Jugaad. The cost matters more than anything else. If it is cheap and helps run the nation's economy (and your family, business), then it will reign supreme. If we can't afford what is right, we will still find or make some thing cheaper and finish the job.

Also, how safe is a couple and their 3 kids on a two-wheeler? Not at all. Can India ban that with immediate effect and expect at least 50% of them to stop? I sincerely doubt that.

The average Indian life and economy runs on these "unsafe" applications. I too wish to get rid of it. But how and how soon?

Asking for and implementing safe driving practices should be the primary goal. Maybe that is why most of us here are discussing what the City and Omni drivers should've done rather than why the Omni guy did not buy a safer car. If the Omni wasn't available, he might've gotten something much safer but chances are that he still would've been in that accident. He may escape with his life, or he may not. Who are we to say?

Rather than changing the tool or the vehicle, changing the behaviour and mindset is what India needs first (true for all issues we face in our country today).

To sum it up, this is what I want India to have, before we decide on Omnis with roll cages, ABS, and airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In civilized countries, people on main roads do not even bother about minor side roads, because the guy from the side road is supposed to stop.
I think to educate people about law, police should only prosecute people who violated the right of way and caused an accident. Dead man is right is outdated and wrong.
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 18:40   #125
BHPian

That video was horrific. I am stunned.
Looking at it and reading the posts, I wonder what (really) could have avoided this accident.
1. The Honda City was way beyond the speed limit.
2. The Omni entered the intersection blindly. Seems like his intention was to cut the WagonR before the WaginR took the right turn. Saw the oncoming Honda late; stopped but was too late

Now, even if we had signals working, we know that that late in the night almost all signals are ignored. This is an unwritten rule in India. I keep pondering why that should be so, but that is the way it is. But maybe if the Signals were working the City would have probably slowed down (if the signal was red on her road). Also maybe the van would have been more cautious entering the intersection if the signal was red on his side. This is because subconsciously you would have entered the intersection knowing that you are doing something incorrect and hence would have been slightly more cautious.

Incidentally, why are signals switched off in the night. How does it matter if the signals continue to work?

Last edited by ptushar : 6th September 2013 at 18:41. Reason: Mistake
Old 6th September 2013, 18:52   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post

Now, please add all Autorickshaws and 3-wheeled cargo carriers also to the list. How about the Tata Ace? Wouldn't that make the list too? I am sure you will agree that each of these vehicles are at least as unsafe, if not more than, the Omni. So now, imagine the day when all of these cease to exist on Indian roads. How far away is that day? Can the India we know today realistically achieve that in the next 5 years? How about in the next 10 years?

This is India. We are the inventors of the Jugaad. Also, how safe is a couple and their 3 kids on a two-wheeler? Not at all. Can India ban that with immediate effect and expect at least 50% of them to stop? I sincerely doubt that.

The average Indian life and economy runs on these "unsafe" applications. I too wish to get rid of it. But how and how soon?

Asking for and implementing safe driving practices should be the primary goal. Rather than changing the tool or the vehicle, changing the behaviour and mindset is what India needs first (true for all issues we face in our country today).
Dear Miel, I respect your views, Banning Omni after sighting this one horrifying is incident will be serving as a testament to the other accidents caused thru it and word "banning" used here was in context of the fact how easy it seems to loose a life in it. I agree many of us made an impulsive remark on the vehicle but honestly you are right apart from increasing the safety of this car it is also important to have a pro-safe driving ideology to be instilled in the drivers.

Coming to the second point of the aftermath of banning omni, 2-3 wheelers, I feel you are correct because majority of population faces economic constrains so they decide as per the available resources inspite of being aware of the short-comings and seriously its not a one day job to ban a vehicle immediately. I pointed out this thing since many industries use the omni for day-to-day jobs but alternate has to come sooner than later.

Overall, It is to be made necessary to improvise on both aspects i.e Safe and sane driving alongwith strong and safer vehicle. Because if by banning a historically proven fatal car we can save precious lives, IT'S WORTH IT.

AD
Old 6th September 2013, 21:01   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To sum it up, this is what I want India to have, before we decide on Omnis with roll cages, ABS, and airbags.
Exactly, safe vehicles are useless if the drivers are morons. We need to have basic driving sense induced in all the drivers mind to avoid unnecessary loss of lives. How can we stop the reckless drivers from killing pedestrians if all have 'safe' cars? Before banning so called 'unsafe cars', we may to ban people to walk on street and venture out on bikes and bicycles. Don't we understand and realise that this is India and majority of population can't even afford a 50k two-wheeler, leave alone a car with ABS and Air Bags.

All in all, the person would be alive with his family if the City driver was driving at sane speed.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 6th September 2013 at 21:05.
Old 6th September 2013, 21:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Exactly, safe vehicles are useless if the drivers are morons. We need to have basic driving sense induced in all the drivers mind to avoid unnecessary loss of lives. How can we stop the reckless drivers from killing pedestrians if all have 'safe' cars? Before banning so called 'unsafe cars', we may to ban people to walk on street and venture out on bikes and bicycles. Don't we understand and realise that this is India and majority of population can't even afford a 50k two-wheeler, leave alone a car with ABS and Air Bags.

All in all, the person would be alive with his family if the City driver was driving at sane speed.
Dear Sourabh, Starting by your last statement, true to the core i would say. It is important or rather a necessity now that driver's Driving Quotient and Skills need to be polished. It is to be taken into account by every motorist and all humans who take the road route pan-india that traffic has increased manifolds so due cautions are to be taken at all times and over-confidence should be at the back seat always.

I do respect your outlook in regards to the population's purchasing power and i too have said this thing. But you surely will agree that Omni's Strength is zero even if driven at a normal speed and to an extent you will agree that if it would have been a SUV, or a present day car the magnitude of damage would have been controlled. You may see that the City involved in this had controlled damage and the occupants escaped unhurt or may be slightly bruised. So it has to be a 2 way process, i.e Safe Cars and Sane Drivers.

AD
Old 6th September 2013, 22:08   #129
Senior - BHPian

Dear All, Please check out this 2year old link pertaining to the Omni's crashworthiness and people's views on omni. It authenticates the views shared among us about the omni. Period!!

http://www.carwale.com/forums/viewthread-21371.html

AD
Old 7th September 2013, 18:43   #130
BHPian

Deeply hurt with this incident, it could have happened to anyone.
The accidents all over India have the only one major cause that is speed without control.
I would like to ask are the Indian roads racetracks, why do we need the speed when we cant control it?
Why aren't the manufacturers, insurers and Government concerned on putting a limit on the speed of all vehicles?
I don't mind to see the use of speed guns but where are they and can we ask the already overburdened police to run after fast and idiotic people.
The Government has to step in encourage fuel efficient vehicles than those which can hit speeds which are are dangerous for public.
Why do we need the machines hitting speeds greater than 120 km/h, isn't the fuel efficiency be below par after these speeds.
The roads are not racetracks they are public property, public safety is more important than some idiot trying to feel the rush.
Old 7th September 2013, 19:44   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinadha View Post
Deeply hurt with this incident, it could have happened to anyone. I would like to ask are the Indian roads racetracks, why do we need the speed when we cant control it?
Why aren't the manufacturers, insurers and Government concerned on putting a limit on the speed of all vehicles? I don't mind to see the use of speed guns but where are they and can we ask the already overburdened police to run after fast and idiotic people.
The Government has to step in encourage fuel efficient vehicles than those which can hit speeds which are are dangerous for public.
Why do we need the machines hitting speeds greater than 120 km/h, isn't the fuel efficiency be below par after these speeds.
The roads are not racetracks they are public property, public safety is more important than some idiot trying to feel the rush.
Dear Mate, good Evening, Indeed its a very state of affairs pertaining to the speed monsters taking on the roads pan-india. Not just 4 wheelers but multi axle vehicles have also been involved in grusome crashes. The governent too like always cuts out a sorry figure. If you may be aware that recently the police faced a lot of wrath and fire for taking action on bikers here in delhi. So they too have started to pay minimal heed to all this which is alarming. It is high time to practically reach out to masses and educate them. I recollect a car on this forum on the sticker's thread which in very bold way emphasised on road safety. Its time for such things now!!

Everyone knows the short-comings of over-speeding but they do so for thrill and apt caption for them is "Speed Thrills BUT Kills". Many families have lost out cause of road accidents and rapidly their numbers are increasing.

Indeed i am so surprised that even after the traffic has grown so much in india where from these "Hazards" get the place to speed and still have audacity and feel "cool" on it.

AD
Old 7th September 2013, 23:48   #132
BHPian

Extremely unfortunate.

Such accidents are common on this road. Here's a video of another accident that happened on Palm Beach Road. In this instance three people lost their lives.

3 youths killed in car-trailer crash on Palm Beach Road
Three people died and one severely injured, when the vehicle they were travelling in collided with a trailer on Palm Beach Road near Killaa Chowk in sector 15 of CBD Belapur on Monday. The accident, which took place at 2 am, took the toll to 13 this year on the killer stretch.
Old 8th September 2013, 21:23   #133
BHPian

Quote:
That would'nt have avoided the accident. It would've given better chances of everyone walking away. But avoiding it needs a behavioural or mindset change.

Rather than changing the tool or the vehicle, changing the behaviour and mindset is what India needs first (true for all issues we face in our country today).

Not to take away from anything that you've mentioned but changing driving behaviour and mindset and equally challenging and virtually impossible in our country.

I am of the opinion that the concerned authorities for road traffic safety in India should press for more safety incorporated into vehicular design in parallel with educating the public.

Vehicular safety comes into play when despite being educated in the ways of safe driving, the driver for some reason decides to drive in an unsafe manner(we are all guilty of crossing the line from time to time) so as to cause an accident.
Old 8th September 2013, 21:44   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
changing driving behaviour and mindset and equally challenging and virtually impossible in our country.

concerned authorities for road traffic safety in India should press for more safety incorporated into vehicular design in parallel with educating the public.

Vehicular safety comes into play when the driver for some reason decides to drive in an unsafe manner(we are all guilty of crossing the line from time to time) so as to cause an accident.
Dear Sydras, I understand well of your thought but you also will agree that given the safest vehicle (if made) to a rouge driver still as many mates mentioned here that still he/she will crash on in a new way. Thus, Vehicular safety is important no doubt but correct and safe driving ideology needs to be put in place first.

Your 2nd point is valid. But do you really think its possible out of 125 Crore population in india; approx 50-60% people are facing financial constrains can purchase a "safe" car. Agreed that it is necessary but not everyone can buy and rather are made to feel safe in their respective transport.

So my conclusion to this is, If the mindset is aligned to rightful practices on road, then even a cyclist also wont die or get hurt. I think it sounds very optimistic but its a genuine fact.

thanks

AD
Old 8th September 2013, 23:25   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
1) The Honda City's only fault was over speeding again as I am unaware of the speed or the limits, can not really say, but as is a rule everywhere in the world, a straight going car has first right of passage. Again if she broke a traffic light, then I do not know.
Right of way? Based on the footage can u guess how far away the City is when the Omni reached the intersection? Right of way, stop and go and all these rules apply to vehicles who reach the intersection, stop and then proceed. Right of way is not applicable to someone who wants to just bull doze their way through a junction with no traffic lights. In every part of the world, the City would have stopped at the intersection and then proceeded even when there are no lights. In India we have our own arbitration mechanism like we saw in this video how Santro and the Omni were negotiating their right of way peacefully without ramming into each other before Yama decided to go berserk in a City. However much we may condemn our traffic we are all party to such indigenous arbitration mechanisms - they work - but are not built for scale. Our chaotic arbitration fails at busy signals with lots of vehicles in queue. But still in this scenario, the City could have definitely slowed down looking at the Santro, Omni and negotiated her way through rather than do a Transporter!

Before u jump to conclusions - yes, i have driven outside India as well and understand the concepts of "right of way" well enough to avoid any incidents/accidents.
paliontile is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks