Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 23:27   #16
BHPian

re: CCTV Footage: Deadly Accident near Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
The problem most of the times lies in the fact that people are so over confident of themselves that they do not realize the limitations of their machines.
I do get the whole picture of what you're trying to convey. But the 'limitations' part is something i don't get.

The time from the city & the van being in each other's sight is at most 1 second. Even cross-drilled C/SiC discs will not stop a car from 100 to 0 in 1 sec. Maybe that's why the City never even braked.

The City's driver, Seema Thakkar was speeding beyond doubt and way over the speed limit. Also, she should have slowed down to 40 kmph or so at the signal. Even if not stopped completely.
The van driver, was not alert/far-sighted to see that he was crossing a signal. How difficult is it to spot a pair of lights coming fast towards you? Also, he was not wearing belts.

So it was essentially the product of the two mistakes.
searchingheaven is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 23:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Speed kills.

I wish such drivers are booked for serious crimes such as murder. An extreme reaction, but then that's no way to drive in a civilized country.
Old 4th September 2013, 00:02   #18
Team-BHP Support

Both drivers at fault from the looks of it, but that's just how majority of India drives, unfortunately. Traffic signals & indicators are for wimps, real drivers drive pedal to the metal seems to be the driving ethos of the day.

I hope the woman never gets behind the wheel again. The sort of criminal negligence on display in that video has no excuse. A half meter here or there, and she could've killed more (including probably herself).

Agreed the van had no business turning without indicating, but I doubt it would've made any difference to the outcome. That car was never going to stop in time.
Old 4th September 2013, 00:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I hope the woman never gets behind the wheel again. The sort of criminal negligence on display in that video has no excuse. A half meter here or there, and she could've killed more (including probably herself).

Agreed the van had no business turning without indicating, but I doubt it would've made any difference to the outcome. That car was never going to stop in time.
Bro, do you think that is actually gonna happen? She got Bail in 1 Day. 1 dead & 3 injured. She is probably going to sleep over the incident & forget iy.
Old 4th September 2013, 00:20   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Bro, do you think that is actually gonna happen? She got Bail in 1 Day. 1 dead & 3 injured. She is probably going to sleep over the incident & forget iy.
I know nothing will happen. 'On a wing & a prayer' seems to be our national mantra for survival. One can only hope for natural selection to sort such idiots out of the species. I just hope it doesn't involve innocents as collateral damage if & when that happens.
Old 4th September 2013, 00:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Speed kills.

I wish such drivers are booked for serious crimes such as murder. An extreme reaction, but then that's no way to drive in a civilized country.
Its an accident, not murder. India is very accident prone and a lot of accidents are due to reasons other than the driver. It is a serious incident in which human lives were lost, but its still an accident. While I understand your sentiment, please don't get carried away and clamour for all accidents to be classified as murder. Its illogical.

Quote:
So, if she got bail in a day, how did you surmise that she is going to sleep over the incident and forget it?

Come on mate, no one would be unaffected if he/she was involved in the loss of life, this incident is probably going to haunt her for the rest of her life. Plus, she is out on bail, she is not been pronounced innocent/guilty by the courts. The court case which will carry on for many years will ensure that she does not forget this in a hurry.

As for playing the blame game, I think we can see very little in the video. We cannot see the signals, if any, and we cannot see her running away in the video. I think we should leave it to the police to investigate and determine who is at fault here.
Lalvaz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 01:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post

So, if she got bail in a day, how did you surmise that she is going to sleep over the incident and forget it?

As for playing the blame game, I think we can see very little in the video. We cannot see the signals, if any, and we cannot see her running away in the video. I think we should leave it to the police to investigate and determine who is at fault here.
1. When a woman is speeding above 90/100(in city roads) while sitting with her husband & sister, don't you think something is seriously wrong with her? As for the bail, she has been slapped with 304A. Why not 304 itself, when the evidence is so incriminating? With the kind of influence she has exhibited till now, you think she is going to take it seriously. FYI, the accident took place on 6 Aug, 2013. ever wondered why the police released the video so late?

Quote:
Assistant Inspector S S Hire of the Nerul police station said Thakkar gone for shopping to Vashi with her husband and sister, and the three were on their way back. "She claims the van suddenly appeared in her way and she could not hit the brakes in time," Hire said. "Prima facie, it seems she was at fault.".
link to MM article

2. There were no signals bro. What signals are you talking about. All are swithced off at night.

3. What more evidence do you want to see? Both were at fault. Maybe a ratio of 3:2 (City:Van), but nevertheless they were both wrong.
Old 4th September 2013, 01:25   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
............As for playing the blame game, I think we can see very little in the video. We cannot see the signals, if any, and we cannot see her running away in the video. I think we should leave it to the police to investigate and determine who is at fault here.
The video doesn't show her running away, but it doesn't show her (or her co-passengers, if you believe the police account of her not being alone) trying to help either. If you get involved in a serious accident and are somehow left standing, the least you can do is check on the victims to see if you can do something. Not out of any compassion mind you, just cold common sense. A dead victim is a bigger issue than a hurt victim.

Knowing how stuff works in our country, the case will drag on until everyone forgets what it was actually for. Took our system 11 years just to decide what to charge the accused with in a celebrity (you know who) hit & run case.

The video may not be conclusive proof of anything else, but one thing it does show beyond doubt is the woman is an extremely dangerous & irresponsible driver (like so many others on our roads), and has no business being behind the wheel of anything capable of moving faster than crawling speeds.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th September 2013 at 01:33.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 01:39   #24
BHPian

No offence meant to anyone but I feel moral high ground applies only when it is someone else who commits the crime. 4 out of 5 people would make a run for it after committing such an crime without having the intent to. Again, there are some who would own up to what has happened out of sheer guilt. I guess the lady acted on instinct. I am not defending her but purely stating human nature to not own up.

Secondly, there are stupid moves made by few vehicles at night to cross signals at great speeds (City) while some intrude into one lane and then check if it's safe or not (Omni)

I guess the van owner did not see the lights and did not have a view of city rushing in and the same goes for the lady in the city. I guess had she honked or blinked lights she would have made her presence felt. Again reducing speed was the best option.

I feel sad for victims of our road culture which is directly a consequence of our infrastructure.

Stopping at red lights during wee hours is more risky than not stopping. Don't get me wrong but I am talking out of experience. When vehicles are constantly doing 100-110 km/h on the outer ring road in Delhi, it is more risky to stop. I drive back at 60-70 and keep a lookout on all mirrors. If I sense trouble I get into the opposite lane than the schumacher behind is on. It's the only wise thing to do. Ofcourse this is done when there is a huge distance between the two cars.

Notice how the Santro is trying to cross the road and hence making sure he's not blamed for the incident.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 4th September 2013 at 01:42.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 01:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
No offence meant to anyone but I feel moral high ground applies only when it is someone else who commits the crime. 4 out of 5 people would make a run for it after committing such an crime without having the intent to.
After seeing the condition of the city, do you think that she was in a position to run?
Old 4th September 2013, 02:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
After seeing the condition of the city, do you think that she was in a position to run?
I am not here to debate whether she ran or not nor am I willing to extend a little bit of knowledge I have on this. I am going by police records hoping they are accurate. To give you an answer, No she wasn't.
Old 4th September 2013, 02:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I am not here to debate whether she ran or not nor am I willing to extend a little bit of knowledge I have on this. I am going by police records hoping they are accurate. To give you an answer, No she wasn't.
So when you know that, why do you say in the previous post that she did not try to run from this scene?

PS: That is what i can make out from your statement.
Quote:
4 out of 5 people would make a run for it after committing such an crime without having the intent to. Again, there are some who would own up to what has happened out of sheer guilt. I guess the lady acted on instinct. I am not defending her but purely stating human nature to not own up. Its kinda confusing to me.
If if am wrong in my interpretation of your statement, please correct me.
Old 4th September 2013, 02:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
So when you know that, why do you say in the previous post that she did not try to run from this scene?

PS: That is what i can make out from your statement.
If if am wrong in my interpretation of your statement, please correct me.
I never said that. I guess you misunderstood. Let me explain.

"4 out of 5 people would make a run for it after committing such an crime without having the intent to. Again, there are some who would own up to what has happened out of sheer guilt. I guess the lady acted on instinct. I am not defending her but purely stating human nature to not own up. "

Had I put the first line before the 'lady acted on instinct' maybe it would have conveyed my post better. What I meant was she made a run for it. Again, I am saying this because it is stated as a 'hit & run' incident. There is no further video proof or eye witness accounts (atleast in the videos on this thread) to counter the hit and run allegation.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 4th September 2013 at 02:27. Reason: quoting a paragraph for better understanding.
Old 4th September 2013, 02:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I never said that. I guess you misunderstood. Let me explain.

What I meant was she made a run for it. Again, I am saying this because it is stated as a 'hit & run' incident. There is no further video proof or eye witness accounts (atleast in the videos on this thread) to counter the hit and run allegation.
Thanks for explaining. As tsk1979 said, it is not a hit & run. The car was totalled & there was no way she, her huband or her sis could escape.
Old 4th September 2013, 08:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

From the video, if the lady had the presence of mind to turn the wheel to try and avoid the van, she could have also hit the brakes at the same time and if the City had ABS, which I think it would , it would have reduced the gravity of the accident . But, her speeds were much too high and I am surprised no one in her car requested her to slow down.
No point crying over spilt milk so to say. I would put 80% of the blame on the lady for over speeding and not slowing down at a junction which in itself is breaking the law.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 4th September 2013 at 08:58. Reason: typo
Closed Thread

Most Viewed