Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2013, 21:52   #1
RSR
Senior - BHPian

ASEAN NCAP Test Results - 5* for Prius & Vento, 4* for Swift, Sunny, Ciaz, Ertiga & Amaze

The results of the second phase of the ASEAN NCAP were released on August 29, 2013 by MIROS (The Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research).

The second phase covered eleven models, of which 3 cars scored 5-stars for adult protection and the remaining 8 cars scored 4-stars for the same.

Of relevance to Indian car buyers are the following four cars (as the others are not sold here):

1) Toyota Prius - Adult: 5 stars, Child: 86%, Airbags: 7

2) Suzuki Swift - Adult: 4 stars, Child: 77%, Airbags: 2

3) Nissan Almera (Nissan Sunny / Renault Scala - Adult: 4 stars, Child: 52%, Airbags: 1

4) Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Adult: 4 stars, Child: 40%, Airbags: 2

Source: www.paultan.org

The full results and complete details of the ASEAN NCAP - Phase II can be found on this page:

http://paultan.org/2013/08/29/asean-ncap-second-phase/

After the (Maruti) Suzuki Alto k10's disastrous showing at the Latin NCAP (link), Indian car buyers can heave a small sigh of relief at these latest ASEAN NCAP results. I think these results are more relevant for the Indian market because the ASEAN models generally come with fewer airbags (2 or even 1) when compared to at least six airbags for the European models.

Last edited by RSR : 9th September 2013 at 22:21. Reason: Including link to the Alto k10 thread
RSR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 17:17   #2
BHPian

re: Latest ASEAN NCAP Test Results - 5* for Prius, 4* for Swift, Sunny, Pajero Sport & Vento

First of all, A BIG THANK YOU for sharing this news with everyone.

Relieved to see that these cars do not become that unsafe even after removal of most of the airbags.

IIRC, the Sunny got a 3/5 rating in some NCAP (I guess I read it in GTO's thread). How has it got more stars here? Improved car or not so strict rules? Do let us know if there were changes made by Nissan after the lower 3/5 score.

Do note that this Swift is not Maruti-made.
amolbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 19:49   #3
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Latest ASEAN NCAP Test Results - 5* for Prius, 4* for Swift, Sunny, Pajero Sport & Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
First of all, A BIG THANK YOU for sharing this news with everyone.
You're welcome!

Quote:
Relieved to see that these cars do not become that unsafe even after removal of most of the airbags.
You're correct, these cars do not become that unsafe after removing some airbags. But the same car with more airbags will always be safer than one with fewer airbags. In some NCAPs, a pole impact test is not performed if the car does not come with curtain airbags, for instance.

I wish manufacturers would offer 6 airbags at least as an option even for economy cars.

Quote:

100% true, and we can only keep our fingers crossed and hope Maruti has not altered the basic structure of the car or used inferior materials for the model sold in India.

The Nissan Almera and the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport that were tested were both made in Thailand, so we can only hope the Indian versions are at least as safe as these ones.

The only car that certainly gets the same safety rating in India as it does in this test would be the Toyota Prius (5-stars) as both the Indian and ASEAN versions are made in Japan.

Quote:
IIRC, the Sunny got a 3/5 rating in some NCAP (I guess I read it in GTO's thread). How has it got more stars here? Improved car or not so strict rules? Do let us know if there were changes made by Nissan after the lower 3/5 score.
I couldn't find the test results for the Sunny on the websites of the Euro NCAP, Latin NCAP or the Australian NCAP. The Nissan Sunny has received a 4-star rating on the Japanese NCAP where it was tested as the Nissan Latio X (link here) and 4-stars on the Chinese NCAP (link here) as well.

I think you may be referring to the American crash test ratings. The American programme is not labelled as NCAP, but is equally stringent as, or even more stringent in some areas than the Euro NCAP and other NCAPs. Even in that, the Nissan Versa (as the Sunny is called in the USA), scored a 4-star rating overall (link here).

However, it did score 3-stars in the frontal crash test in that programme. I don't really know why it scored one star less in that frontal test, while scoring 4-stars in the Japanese, ASEAN and Chinese NCAPs. But the overall rating in the American test does remain 4-stars, so there shouldn't be much to worry on that front.

Last edited by RSR : 10th September 2013 at 20:02.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 13:29   #4
RSR
Senior - BHPian

ASEAN NCAP Phase 3 Results - 5* for CR-V; 4* for Vento & (New) Corolla

The latest test results of ASEAN NCAP (Phase III) ^1 have been released today (May 5, 2014).

Out of the 11 cars/pick-ups whose results were published today, the ones relevant for Indian customers are these three (as the other ones are not sold here) ^2:

1) Honda CR-V - Adult: 5 stars, Child: 4 stars, Airbags: 2

Full Report

2) Volkswagen Polo sedan (Vento) - Adult: 4 stars, Child: 4 stars, Airbags: 4

Full Report

3) Toyota Corolla Altis ^3 (latest generation) - Adult: 4 stars, Child: 4 stars, Airbags: 2

Full Report

Notes:

^1 - As with most NCAP assessments around the world, the ASEAN-NCAP's standards for awarding stars gradually increase every year. Details of the changes are available on www.aseancap.org

^2 - Although the Isuzu D-Max was tested in this phase, it is the latest generation one as compared to the previous generation vehicle on sale in India (as of now)

^3 - Another variant of the latest generation Toyota Corolla Altis (2 lit. engine with 7 airbags) was also crash-tested in this phase and it scored 5* in adult occupant protection. This does not seem relevant for India, as the Corolla that will be launched here soon will get only 2 airbags (AFAIK)

Cheers and drive safe!

Last edited by RSR : 5th May 2014 at 13:57. Reason: Including videos
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 13:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Please note the following quote from the source page-
Quote:
To be eligible for a five-star rating, a vehicle must have at least two airbags, electronic stability control (VSA in Honda’s case) and a seat belt reminder, or it will only qualify for a maximum of four stars. Note that ‘MY’ above denotes the safety package introduction year.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 13:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
This is a key point to note. As discussed on the other thread, the Maruti Swift Diesel sold in India has some structural safety components removed compared with the same car sold in Europe.

So unless the Maruti made Swift Diesel is tested we don't really know how safe it is.

The Maruti-made Petrol that is exported to South America got 4 Stars on the Latin NCAP, but then again, who knows if the one for local sales is different.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 14:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Would anyone be having an idea of the safety rating of the Ecosport Automatic version being sold in India? That one comes with 6 airbags, ABS, EBD & 'Traction Control' which is not there even on much higher priced cars.
Old 5th May 2014, 15:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
After the (Maruti) Suzuki Alto k10's disastrous showing at the Latin NCAP (link), Indian car buyers can heave a small sigh of relief at these latest ASEAN NCAP results. I think these results are more relevant for the Indian market because the ASEAN models generally come with fewer airbags (2 or even 1) when compared to at least six airbags for the European models.
I think I've read on an older thread that some manufacturers, including Maruti and Hyundai, compromise on the sheet metal quality and structural components of cars made for India. If this is true, how can such crash tests be relevant to us if the cars were not picked from India?
The Euro Swift might have a four- or five-star NCAP rating, but even if it had as many airbags, will the Indian Swift be as crash-safe?

Last edited by one-77 : 5th May 2014 at 15:26.
Old 5th May 2014, 15:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
but even if it had as many airbags, will the Indian Swift be as crash-safe?
Maruti Swift ZXI has been tested By Global NCAP In India, results due in May 2014.

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th May 2014 at 15:43.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 16:10   #10
BHPian

Of all the manufacturers in India, I admire Hyundai, Honda, Nissan & VW for not altering their India-market cars that much when it comes to safety.

A gorilla like Maruti Suzuki has no shame in removing safety components for the India market & then charge a bomb for their unsafe cars. The Swift & Ertiga are proof of that.

As an aside, I wonder why India doesn't have NCAP testing when even countries like Malaysia have them. Being one of the top 5 car manufacturing countries in the world, don't the Indian customers have a right to know how safe the cars they buy are?

I don't think the Indian manufacturers are going to improve unless the government acts & changes the regulation to match, if not the world, at least the ASEAN standards.
Old 5th May 2014, 16:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
That one comes with 6 airbags, ABS, EBD & 'Traction Control'
Traction control is same as what is called as launch control I guess ? If so it is to minimize wheel spin while starting the vehicle from a complete stop. I don't think it will make any change in crash worthiness.
Old 5th May 2014, 17:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Traction control is same as what is called as launch control I guess ? If so it is to minimize wheel spin while starting the vehicle from a complete stop. I don't think it will make any change in crash worthiness.
Nope. TCS does help ordinary drivers improve vehicle control. It's available in mid-end, real-world cars, to help the wheels maintain traction and prevent slipping/ spinning, on wet turns, gravel etc.
Launch control is for high end sports cars. The ones you might want to take to a track day. Prevents wheelspin at launch and improves initial acceleration, Helps especially in drag races, I believe.
one-77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 18:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
Of all the manufacturers in India, I admire Hyundai, Honda, Nissan & VW for not altering their India-market cars that much when it comes to safety.

A gorilla like Maruti Suzuki has no shame in removing safety components for the India market & then charge a bomb for their unsafe cars. The Swift & Ertiga are proof of that.
Funny, the global i10 (as advertised by Mr. Khan), failed miserably in the global ncap tests forget the lack of aribags, the structure itself was dangerous, the i20 we get here is a LOT lighter spec for spec when compared to the ones sold in Europe, Honda and Nissan's cars have not yet been tested; it would be interesting to see how the City does or the Terrano (euro ncap rates it 3 stars, if it follows the trend and performs poorer here in India, imagine how bad it could get)

Of the bunch you have picked, I would only applaud VW, immediately after the global ncap tests, they ensured every Polo even the baseline variant, comes with abs and dual airbags as standard

Not sure about the Swift diesel, but the petrol one tested by global ncap, had positive initial reactions so I'd reserve your wrath for when we know about more test results

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th May 2014 at 18:25.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 18:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
The Euro Swift might have a four- or five-star NCAP rating, but even if it had as many airbags, will the Indian Swift be as crash-safe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
This is a key point to note. As discussed on the other thread, the Maruti Swift Diesel sold in India has some structural safety components removed compared with the same car sold in Europe.

So unless the Maruti made Swift Diesel is tested we don't really know how safe it is.

The Maruti-made Petrol that is exported to South America got 4 Stars on the Latin NCAP, but then again, who knows if the one for local sales is different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Not sure about the Swift diesel, but the petrol one tested by global ncap, had positive initial reactions so I'd reserve your wrath for when we know about more test results
The diesel versions of the Swift do get a thinner front crash beam. However, on seeing the number of crashes for old/new as well as diesel DZire (rockporiom's), I would certainly claim the Swift to be safe in all its avatars. Cant say about the Ertiga, though.
Old 5th May 2014, 19:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am really surprised about the new Corolla results though. This is ought to be the latest Corolla model and hence should have been safer still. While 4-stars in itself is not bad, it is certainly not good given even older hatchbacks scored more for protection. I would be interesting to see how the Indian made Punto/Linea perform in the test.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks