Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 16:04   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Electric locking & window mechanism. Boon or bane for Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
@julupani: The button on the driver side just locks/unlocks the doors from the outside, NEVER from the inside. You can try it in any VW car. So even in the case of an electronics issue, the car can ALWAYS be opened from the inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Huh? The button is inside, OK. And it can be operated only from outside??? What does one do when outside the car and windows are closed???
DA- I think this query was left unanswered. With the central locking engaged none of the doors can be opened from the outside. On the other hand, any of the doors can be opened with a single tug from the inside. some European cars (Fiat for example) have a dual-tug system, one for unlock and the second to open the door, but not VW- it's just single tug to unlock AND open.

There are 2 dangers I can envisage with this:
  1. Becomes painfully easy for a passenger, especially a child, to accidentally open the car door in motion. I honestly prefer a dedicated locking lever separate from the door open handle.
  2. In case of a bad accident or a fire, with the driver trapped inside, if the engine hasn't shut off the central locking with continue to be engaged and nobody from outside will be able to open the door till someone opens it from the inside.
Old 6th November 2013, 18:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
DA- I think this query was left unanswered. ...
Heh heh it is still unanswered! @TheLizardKing stated: "The button on the driver side just locks/unlocks the doors from the outside, NEVER from the inside" - and I was wondering which button in a VW car can *only* be operated from outside. I assumed the interchanged "outside" and "inside" were typos.

Yes, going by KISS principles, the door opening lever overriding the latch if operated from inside is the way it is meant to work. However, for example in my Safari (2007 3.0L DICOR), if the engine is off one has to open the locks (driver side inside level) for all doors to unlock, or individually open the lock with the lock lever. If the engine was on then all the locks unlock when the engine switches off (incl. engine stall), or if one wants to open doors with engine on, unlock using the door lock lever.
Old 8th November 2013, 18:23   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Heh heh it is still unanswered! @TheLizardKing stated: "The button on the driver side just locks/unlocks the doors from the outside, NEVER from the inside" - and I was wondering which button in a VW car can *only* be operated from outside. I assumed the interchanged "outside" and "inside" were typos.
Um I said that the button is located on the driver side. That it is INSIDE the car is implicit isn't it? The "inside" and "outside" refer to the direction of the locking action activated by the button, not the location of the button itself. No typos anywhere...
Old 8th November 2013, 18:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The button on the driver side just locks/unlocks the doors from the outside, NEVER from the inside. ...
Quote:
Um I said that the button is located on the driver side. That it is INSIDE the car is implicit isn't it? The "inside" and "outside" refer to the direction of the locking action activated by the button, not the location of the button itself. No typos anywhere...
Never mind.

Apologies, I must have understood the wrong possibility (of locking the door by pressing the button from outside) of the ambiguity (=one of 2 possibilities of interpretation) in your statement.

You actually meant that if a door is locked by the button, the door cannot be opened from outside; however, this locking doesn't prevent the door from being opened from inside.
Old 8th November 2013, 19:00   #50
BHPian

Very good thread. I believe keeping a very cool head is a key in such situations. Remember that in cases where there is a fire and electric locking fails, we will not get much time to get out. We want to make sure that we don't panic and use the proper mechanism (like head restraint metal or any other blunt objects that we have in car). In case they are not present, use your shoes (either insert the hands in it or kick with leg).
Old 8th November 2013, 21:25   #51
Senior - BHPian

In an emergency - example - flooding, fire, accident etc when the gizmos in the car don't work as they are supposed to - you need to get out of the car via the windsheild/side window using a blunt object

i) keep a small hammer/fire extinguisher (serves as hammer as well) near the driver seat (in case you are the driver) to break out
ii) lug wrench/jack in case these are within reach as in an Innova (in case you are a passenger inside such a vehicle)
iii) your elbow or your heel ( you may be amazed at the force they punch) but yes, you may get some cuts (which are far more preferable, than a more serious condition/death)
iv) using the metal rods of the headrest - in case you are able to turn around and release them from their latches.
Old 26th August 2015, 23:31   #52

Can you have a fully-loaded vehicle without power-windows

This is a technical question as well as a question on safety. I am a Ford Figo owner and love driving it. It is a base model. Though I got it just for city travel I found myself with it on the NH2 frequently. I am from Kanpur. Of course it has no air-bags or ABS. I had safe trips and the FIGO is a very stable vehicle.

As I read about the horrific car fires in India and the failure of central lock/auto-lock system I feel that I am just happy to have a base version since without power-windows and central locking I have sure exit from the car in case of fire.

However I now plan to upgrade my safety features as my highway travel have increased. I also want to stick to Petrol as diesel cars have more chance of catching fires.

I want to buy the new Ford Aspire and I want to buy the fully loaded model. However this has all power-windows though the base variant has manual windows in the rear.

I would like to advice from my fellow BHPians about what to do. Is it possible to request Ford to give the top variant with manual rear-windows.

Or shall I again buy the base variant which now has Air bags but no ABS. I would be happy for the advice.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th August 2015 at 23:42. Reason: Spacing
ford-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 23:47   #53
BHPian

Re: Can you have a fully-loaded vehicle without power-windows

Hey,

If you think about it, more people are killed because their cars did not have safety measures (ABS, Airbags) than people who die because of power window failures. Its all in your head.

If you are really worried, keep a hammer in the front center console for any such incident. Gear locks (the pin type) have been used as well.

If you have increased highway running, nothing can be more useful for safety than Airbags/ ABS because of chances of high speed collision.

Get the best car.

Tapish
Tapish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 23:50   #54
Team-BHP Support

I wonder why you think diesels catch fire more easily ?

I agree with Tapish here. And in the worst case, buy the safest car you can and get the power windows replaced with manual ones. Don't think it's too complicated to do that.
Old 27th August 2015, 00:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

Scenarious that require you to escape from a closed windows means there is seriously more important things to worry about that lead you to that situation.

Eitherway, always carry a screw driver on the driver door space. I do that and i even taught my wife how to use it in case of emergency.

I also have a knife and a nice baseball bat inside the car in the front seat just in case. Knife to cut the seat belts by the way

I have also taught and made it a habit to always lower the window when stopping or getting out. This is because i have a kid and there is no way i am taking a chance of getting locked inside and secondly it ensures i have an entry method.

Get the safest car and you have enough tools to get out of a car in case of issues and there are pocket size fire extings available that you can mount on your car anyday.

Quote:
I also want to stick to Petrol as diesel cars have more chance of catching fires.
Again i would even analyze what can lead to this situation. Unless its a lamborgini or RS8 or Tata Nano, i am sure its not going to do a spontaneous combution
Old 27th August 2015, 01:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

In the event of a fire eventuality and in the absence of a hammer or a baseball bat kind of stuff , the other stuff that you can use to break the glass is by using the two metal rod ends of the headrest when you pull that off. Ofcourse this is assuming it's not an integrated seat type. 😊
Old 27th August 2015, 01:12   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford-driver View Post
This is a technical question as well as a question on safety. I am a Ford Figo owner and love driving it. It is a base model.
Great start sir and I am happy from your post that you are looking for safety features in your next car but you are also worried at the same time. Driving a Base model that has NOTHING isn't safe either.

Quote:
As I read about the horrific car fires in India and the failure of central lock/auto-lock system I feel that I am just happy to have a base version since without power-windows and central locking I have sure exit from the car in case of fire.
"Ignorance is Bliss?!" Eh?!

United Nations is requesting Indian manufacturers to adopt safety equipment and also structural safety in cars sold here and you are worried of central locking / power windows?

In case of a fire, cars with central locking may fail to open, I agree but there are chances of car doors getting jammed for to heat/fire. In such cases mostly the windows are broken to jump for safety.

Do please consider safety as a 'whole' and not only during fire accidents or alarms.

Quote:
However I now plan to upgrade my safety features as my highway travel have increased.
Great thought. You are in the right direction.

Quote:
I also want to stick to Petrol as diesel cars have more chance of catching fires.
Haha. You made my day by this comment. This part of your post can get entry into the "funny / quirky logos by petrolheads" thread. No offence.

How have you arrived at this conclusion that diesel engines are prone to fires and not petrol? Any data?

Quote:
I want to buy the new Ford Aspire and I want to buy the fully loaded model. However this has all power-windows though the base variant has manual windows in the rear.
Please go for the top model that is fully loaded. Don't think much on line of fire etc. Enjoy the car and the drive by being sagely cocooned in the car.

We here at Team-BHP are trying to advice people into getting cars with all safety equipment be it a city runner or a highway muncher.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th August 2015 at 01:16.
Old 27th August 2015, 01:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Two points.

1. I donot think there is enough data to prove diesel cars catch fires more often than petrol cars.
2. Keep a hammer and knife handy so that in the event of doora getting jammed, you can escape by breaking windows.
Old 27th August 2015, 03:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Just go for the top-end in the event that you are stuck, simply use your headrest to break the car's window you can even have speed sensitive door locking and all disabled. Enjoy the features of a modern car you have no reason to fret
Old 27th August 2015, 11:46   #60
BHPian

• On your inquiry as to whether Ford can sell you a top end diesel variant of the Aspire, minus the power windows, the answer is no. It is not possible.
  • About the probability of car catching fire, yes. In very rare conditions, cars do catch fire due to faulty electrical connections, air conditioner refrigerant, etc. But diesel cars can catch fire more than petrol, is not true. In fact it can be the opposite, given that petrol is more inflammable than diesel.
Off topic. (Non Indian) manufacturers like Ford, Toyota, etc have started providing 2 airbags as standard across all variants, which is a welcome move. However, I think that along with that, ABS should also be standardized, and may be, the feature of power windows can be sacrificed for that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks