Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2013, 21:20   #46
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Under-Run Bars on Trucks : Why they are important for you!

@Rehaan: Thanks for starting such a informative and important thread on safety.

Today near HSR layout RTO, I saw six brand new trucks, standing in for inspection and then registration. However none of them had under-run bars or side run bars. When I talked to the drivers of those trucks and agents, none of them aware that it was mandatory. They informed me that none of the RTO inspector will check on these.

While trying to not sound pessimistic, all these discussion will not change the situation on the road. But it is tough to be mute spectator, but as an individual I can't do much about this.

But as team-bhp community can make difference? If yes, how?
manjubp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 00:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
@Rehaan: Thanks for starting such a informative and important thread on safety.

Today near HSR layout RTO, I saw six brand new trucks, standing in for inspection and then registration. However none of them had under-run bars or side run bars. When I talked to the drivers of those trucks and agents, none of them aware that it was mandatory. They informed me that none of the RTO inspector will check on these.
That is really pathetic.If there is a law that these vehicles should compulsorily be fitted with these bars, then I don't understand what is preventing these officials from enforcing that.

And why were those brand new trucks not provided with these bars by the manufacturers? In a country where it is mandatory that the manufacturer should provide a saree-guard with every bike without which it can't be registered, why can't the same law be applied in case of under-run bars of heavy vehicles?

Majority of the trucks I see on highways here still don't have these bars.
But most of them have some type of iron-grille put around their brake-light assemblies to protect it from crash/collisions from behind! It's shocking that a tail-lamp assembly is more valuable to them than other people's lives.

And I think that, if properly installed this bar should minimize damage to the truck's rear end too.Without the bar, even the truck's the rear-axle, differential & suspension will take a heavy damage in the event of a collision by a car from rear.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 09:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
If there is a law that these vehicles should compulsorily be fitted with these bars, then I don't understand what is preventing these officials from enforcing that.
The reason is what TSK mentioned - the money that they get for not enforcing these is much more than what they would achieve (saving a life) by enforcing these.

Quote:
In a country where it is mandatory that the manufacturer should provide a saree-guard with every bike without which it can't be registered, why can't the same law be applied in case of under-run bars of heavy vehicles?
Not really sure about this because Honda Unicorn was a bike which always mentioned the saree guard as an accessory and not a factory fitment. I have seen numerous unicorns without a saree guard
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 11:05   #49
BANNED

Quote:
I don't understand what is preventing these officials from enforcing that.
It is bad to see such nice features being neglected on the real world situation.

The factor that stood such enforcement is 'money' - This reaches the desk of the officer even before the truck/trailer reaches the RTO for inspection. Once the bundle is on the desk why check the rich and waste time?! Just pass it.

Quote:
And why were those brand new trucks not provided with these bars by the manufacturers? In a country where it is mandatory that the manufacturer should provide a saree-guard with every bike without which it can't be registered, why can't the same law be applied in case of under-run bars of heavy vehicles?
Saree guard rule is not mandatory now a days I guess. I see many bikes without them getting registered. Money is involved here also may be - Not sure.

AFAIK, the brand new ones that are rolling out of the factory come fit with these bats behind and on the sides. I have seen many new ones with the bars.

Quote:
And I think that, if properly installed this bar should minimize damage to the truck's rear end too.Without the bar, even the truck's the rear-axle, differential & suspension will take a heavy damage in the event of a collision by a car from rear.
The rear axle will hardly get damaged if the collision is from behind. The front bumper won't reach the axle but I'd the collision from the rear quarter sides then the axle well be damaged.

Not many cars are fortunate enough to reach the axle (not that I want such accidents to happen). The other things is when bars/rails are attached on the rear/sides it must have some kind of functioning lights to warn the drivers around it and it will help the drivers to judge the end if the truck/trailer.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 11:41   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

The rear axle will hardly get damaged if the collision is from behind. The front bumper won't reach the axle but I'd the collision from the rear quarter sides then the axle well be damaged.

Not many cars are fortunate enough to reach the axle (not that I want such accidents to happen). The other things is when bars/rails are attached on the rear/sides it must have some kind of functioning lights to warn the drivers around it and it will help the drivers to judge the end if the truck/trailer.

Anurag.
I guess Vinod was mentioning about the rear axle getting damaged in case the under-run bars are not installed. I guess in this thread itself there are pics where the rear axle of the truck has been broken because of the impact.

Also having working tail lights would definitely ensure that the others can see the rear but that too is a rarity in trucks on Indian roads

EDIT - Just check the 4th pic in the 1st post by Rehaan. The collision is from the rear by an accent and look at the condition of the rear wheels

Last edited by centaur : 18th December 2013 at 11:43.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 11:51   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
EDIT - Just check the 4th pic in the 1st post by Rehaan. The collision is from the rear by an accent and look at the condition of the rear wheels
That picture looks like a high speed collision of the truck being stationary and no bars. Looks like an overtaking manoeuvre gone wrong.

Anurag.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:58   #52
BHPian

Possible but the point I am trying to make is that without the under run bar even the truck can suffer a lot of damage like Vinod mentioned.
Old 18th December 2013, 12:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
The reason is what TSK mentioned - the money that they get for not enforcing these is much more than what they would achieve (saving a life) by enforcing these.

Not really sure about this because Honda Unicorn was a bike which always mentioned the saree guard as an accessory and not a factory fitment. I have seen numerous unicorns without a saree guard
Yes..for that matter, IIRC even rear-view mirrors and crash guard used to be sold as accessory and not as standard fitment by Bajaj on some models like Boxer/4S Champion, some years back.Don't know whether it is still an accessory on entry-level bikes.The point is was trying to make was that, comparatively more awareness is there regarding the mandatory requirement of saree-guard, and so even if it is sold as an accessory, the showroom guys will convince you to fit one before taking it for registration. If the RTO officer is ignorant, it may get registered even without a saree-guard, but why take chance when a rule is already there? This is what most people will think. The same level of awareness is required in the case of mandatory requirement of under-run bars too.

I agree with you that many bikes can be seen without saree-guard. Most R15, Ninja and other sportsbike owners remove the ugly saree-guard soon after registration. They can take that risk, if they are 100% sure that they would never be riding with a saree-wearing pillion. But the same excuse cannot be extended to trucks.Unlike a saree-guard, this is primarily not for their safety, but for other's safety.So I think even more importance should be given to enforcement of this, by the officials.
Old 19th December 2013, 13:16   #54
BHPian

Very good topic. Until now I haven't ever thought about this point. There are so many trucks and vehicles on Indian roads without this important accessory. See the below truck... A small car can be parked under there.
Attached Thumbnails
Under-Run Bars on Trucks : Why they are important for you!-image3464029620.jpg  

sukhoi30 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 14:07   #55
BHPian

Dear Rehaan,

Very informative article!.

I really appreciate your golden rules about following a truck in a high way.

bbhavan

Last edited by bbhavan : 19th December 2013 at 14:08. Reason: added name
Old 19th December 2013, 15:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Then a bribe is paid, and all make merry.

This is the story of "inspection". You can make any law you want.

Unfortunately, the structure here is a like an auto rickshaw without the front wheel present. So its not going anywhere.

Tail lights, RUPD, fitness, load limit.... all these laws are very much there. However, the executive is not interested in enforcing them because there is lot of money made in bribes.
Can't say it better. This explains why the laws are at loss here! If we give 500 to the cop who stops you, you can save 5000 of actual fine. Isn't there a proverb in English "A stitch in time saves nine". In India we say "A bribe in time saves fine".

I don't know how many truck drivers are aware of the actual need and use of the under-run bars. For non-factory fitments, they might instruct the workshop guy(equally ignorant) to fit it at a height convenient for the loading workers to stand on it and do loading/unloading.
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 16:14   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
This thread reminded me of the s class crash iirc in gujrat, ..... This could potentially save a lot of lives in India, where road casualties are highest in the world.
This is the thread I was referring to. You're not safe even in an s-class if there are no under run bars on the other vehicle. I dont remember the discussion thread, but I do remember reading about the rear overhang without under run bars in India, and why european buses and trucks were so low etc...

Here is another thread (A Fiat Punto saves a family) where the occupants were saved regardless of the poorly designed under run bars.
TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 16:27   #58
Senior - BHPian

Isn't this bar a statutory requirement? How are trucks registered by RTO without them in place?
Old 19th December 2013, 16:52   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
This is the thread...

Here is another...
Thanks. They've been pointed out by .anshuman & DRIV3R earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Isn't this bar a statutory requirement? How are trucks registered by RTO without them in place?
See Ashley2's post on page #2 for more details on the statutory requirements. From what I've read, it seems that most of the trucks on the road don't have them because of 3 reasons:
1) They are old trucks, from before the regulation
2) The bars have been damaged and never replaced
3) The bars have been removed as part of a modification (eg. to improve clearance)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 19:17   #60
BHPian

Great Article Rehaan; thanks for this. Especially useful during the holiday seasons when most of us take to our wheels on highways.

This article is an eye opener to all who think a safe car is good enough to drive on the highways at night (esp. in India). One more reason to avoid night driving
carpacman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed