Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2014, 20:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura Accident. Rolls over, yet keeps us SAFE!

Wow, really glad every one is fine.

Apart from the ABS, prima-facie everything seems to have worked and protected you well, the car, airbags etc. Even at 40-50kmph its kind off difficult to avoid such situations, you have got to have everything going for you like traffic, road condition, weather, run-off area and many more.
sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 07:51   #32
BHPian

A pleasantly unexpected insurance update:

I got a call from ICICI Lombard yesterday (Monday) offering to settle. Based on the horror stories in this forum and elsewhere, I had been preparing for an extended back-and-forth and had been assembling background information, other cases (Sparky) etc.

They disarmed me with an initial offer of IDV minus 15K. Factoring in my compulsory deductible etc (I had zero depreciation cover), we agreed on a final settlement at about IDV minus 4K. I've been promised the payment in 3 weeks time and have been asked to submit a list of documents in the meantime.

I'll save comprehensive comments on the insurance process until I receive the funds in my bank account. I'm happy that just regular and polite follow-up over phone and email still elicits responsiveness.
BackInTheFold is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 09:10   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
A pleasantly unexpected insurance update:

I got a call from ICICI Lombard yesterday (Monday) offering to settle. Based on the horror stories in this forum and elsewhere, I had been preparing for an extended back-and-forth and had been assembling background information, other cases (Sparky) etc.

They disarmed me with an initial offer of IDV minus 15K. Factoring in my compulsory deductible etc (I had zero depreciation cover), we agreed on a final settlement at about IDV minus 4K. I've been promised the payment in 3 weeks time and have been asked to submit a list of documents in the meantime.

I'll save comprehensive comments on the insurance process until I receive the funds in my bank account. I'm happy that just regular and polite follow-up over phone and email still elicits responsiveness.
Thanks for the update. Is it going to be a single payment or will it be in installments? Like the insurance company paying the first installment and then the buyer of the car paying the second.
Old 21st January 2014, 12:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Thanks for the update. Is it going to be a single payment or will it be in installments? Like the insurance company paying the first installment and then the buyer of the car paying the second.
The buyer of the car (as-is-where-is) pays the first portion and the insurance company pays the second portion, both of which add up to the claim settlement amount.

I'm being asked for my original RC book, keys etc. I'm wondering when the right time would be to hand them over. Also, I hope whoever buys this doesn't palm off this version to some unsuspecting individual
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 12:06   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The buyer of the car (as-is-where-is) pays the first portion and the insurance company pays the second portion, both of which add up to the claim settlement amount.

I'm being asked for my original RC book, keys etc. I'm wondering when the right time would be to hand them over. Also, I hope whoever buys this doesn't palm off this version to some unsuspecting individual
Hand over the the RC book and spare key once the funds have been completely transferred. Atleast hold on to one of them.

And the person who is buying it from the insurance company will most likely repair it and sell it to an unsuspecting customer . Can't help
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 16:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Hand over the the RC book and spare key once the funds have been completely transferred. Atleast hold on to one of them.

And the person who is buying it from the insurance company will most likely repair it and sell it to an unsuspecting customer . Can't help
I ended up retaining just the spare key since they insisted on the doc's as "process". I was offered and took a receipt for everything that I have handed over. The person I'm now dealing with has been very helpful and responsive.

I've been assured that the first installment will be paid in a week when the car is removed and that the second will follow within a week.

Meanwhile, I'm on the lookout for my next car and logging my experience here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...sed-laura.html
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 07:30   #37
BHPian

Did you get your money as promised by the insurer ?
Old 4th January 2015, 17:26   #38
BHPian

One year on:
Many things have changed; many have stayed the same.

- My wife and I still love our road trips. We've put on about 15K KM's in 10 months. We were returning to Bangalore from a trip to River Tern JLR (near Shimoga) on the "anniversary" of the accident
- All of us rigorously wear seat belts. Seat belts are ALWAYS mandatory for my son's child seat and front seat occupants. ALL occupants ALWAYS wear seat-belts on highway drives
- I still enjoy a safe driver's car from the Volkswagen-Audi stable, albeit a Jetta this time around
- I spend more time smelling the roses rather than focusing on getting to my destination
- I'm much more cautious while monitoring road signs, my car's systems and anticipating "deviant" behavior from other road occupants

Some markers along the road:
- My wife had a hard time sitting in the front passenger's seat for a few months after the accident. She has moved on since
- ICICI Lombard ponied up the money, but took some time after committing to pay, primarily because my primary contact went on extended leave

I still thank all the prayers, lucky stars and our tank-like Laura for ensuring that we were able to walk away and tell the tale
BackInTheFold is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 13:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
One year on:
Many things have changed; many have stayed the same.
That's a good account of nerveless handling the unfortunate situation (while driving) and later on with the insurance company.
Kudos to you and Laura for keeping focused on the job at hands!

Was checking you other thread, looks like it has all the findings about finding a big sedan, will have to check it at leisure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks