Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 17:10   #61
BHPian

Hi Ram, you got your facts wrong. Fog lamps work because they are yellow and not just because they are low mounted. The reason they are mounted low is that mot obstacles are grounded and lower level illumination makes it easier for the driver to see them. Also fog is less loser to ground because of the heat of earth.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:26   #62
BHPian

Can Anybody please advise me what will be the best fog cum driving lights to put? and expected price and where is it available in Delhi
Old 4th March 2009, 12:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Hi Ram, you got your facts wrong. Fog lamps work because they are yellow and not just because they are low mounted.
Hey, Dushmish, may be you need to check up on your sources.
What Ram has said seems to be the dominant, current belief on the subject.
And Ram has explained it so well in almost layman language!
Old 7th April 2009, 02:07   #64
BANNED

Hey,which are the best fog lamps for my Estilo?The ones which maruti provide is not that effective.Also the head light which one to go for.I think i need a better beams,the ones from maruti is not that effective.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:42   #65
BANNED

It's a myth that fog lamps should be yellow color. Fog lamps can be both yellow or clear lense. Fog lamp are designed to spread the light in a manner that driver get better visibility in rough condition like heavy rain, fog, snow, etc. & this is achieved by designing a light unit (beam). In short id depends on beam & not color of lens.
Old 31st October 2012, 14:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
. A tip, when in a dense fog switch on your hazard lights.
A question to you and all senior members: it it not wrong to use hazard lights when you are moving? In few areas of US it is even illegal to use hazard lights while driving.

Having said that, I also live in north India and have extensive experience of driving in extreme and dense fog conditions. I use hazard lights as I think it becomes almost impossible to spot a car it is being driven without the hazard lights on. However, I have been rebuked on this forum when I mentioned this elsewhere on the forum.

Now I am confused and need advise as the winters are approaching now.
Old 31st October 2012, 15:24   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Having said that, I also live in north India and have extensive experience of driving in extreme and dense fog conditions. I use hazard lights as I think it becomes almost impossible to spot a car it is being driven without the hazard lights on. However, I have been rebuked on this forum when I mentioned this elsewhere on the forum.
What is the name - Hazard Light, to be used whn you have a breakdown of some kind. By driving on your Hazard Lights you are yourself becoming a Hazard. I have lived in Lucknow-Kanpur all my life (I am 60+), with five years in the UK. I have never driven on Hazards!
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 15:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for clarification. I will be better driver from this winters.
Old 31st October 2012, 15:30   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A question to you and all senior members: it it not wrong to use hazard lights when you are moving? In few areas of US it is even illegal to use hazard lights while driving.
Yes, it is very much wrong to use hazard lights while driving on a public road. It completely messes up the sense of distance and distracts the driver behind you.
Quote:
Tanveer has suggested using hazards as it slightly increases visibility due to its color. But, DO NOT use it on public roads. Use it where you are sure there is no one behind you, and you need to see better.
Old 31st October 2012, 15:39   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier it was Hazard lights during fog and rain. Nowadays I rarely see people using it unless it's a breakdown. Since most cars come with rear fog light nowadays, they use them and sometimes headlights if the conditions are really bad. I use rear fogs during heavy rains. Just the park lights are not that visible for others.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 31st October 2012 at 15:39. Reason: additional sentence
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 18:26   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yes, ideally they should not be used. But many cars in India do not have rear fog lamps, and weak tail lights. So from a safety point of view, its better to switch on the hazards, otherwise, some gung ho driver(you get lots of these here) will ram you from rear.
That said, this is true for dense fog(almost zero visibility kind of scenario). For normal fog, even rear tail lights are visible.
Old 31st October 2012, 18:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

Early Morning fog has started to appear on highways here in North India.
Just yesterday i was on highway,and around 6am,when sun had not risen,
i came across a stretch of fog,as soon as the stretch started,other vehicles immediately switched on their hazard lights,and i switched on the,
rear fog lights,the fog was not that dense as it will be end december and January.

During Last week of Decemeber and almost whole of January,the fog gets so dense in dark,that vehicles cannot exceed 20km\hr,last year i had to stop completely,to find out,if i was heading in the right direction,in such cases,i think usage of hazard lights is absolutely necessary(more so in vehicles without rear fog lamps).At least the vehicle following will get warned in advance,about presence,rather than spotting you from a distance of a few meters,and braking hard.
Old 31st October 2012, 18:40   #73
BHPian

Also, a peculiar pattern I see on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway is the use of hazard lights inside tunnels, be it sun or rain, day or night. It is a herd mentality and almost every car I see switches on their hazard lights.

I prefer to use the headlamps inside the tunnels during day time and fog lamps (front+back) in combination with the headlamps during night time.

There are rare instances where I have used the hazard lights in a moving car when I have had to brake heavily due to the car ahead of me. This is to alert the car behind me and prevent them from rear ending me.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
DueLLeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 19:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Also, a peculiar pattern I see on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway is the use of hazard lights inside tunnels, be it sun or rain, day or night. It is a herd mentality and almost every car I see switches on their hazard lights.

I prefer to use the headlamps inside the tunnels during day time and fog lamps (front+back) in combination with the headlamps during night time.

There are rare instances where I have used the hazard lights in a moving car when I have had to brake heavily due to the car ahead of me. This is to alert the car behind me and prevent them from rear ending me.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Not just on the expressway... even on the Sealink, if its raining a lot, people put on their hazard lights. I guess it's herd mentality - I noticed that even people who have recently moved to Bombay use them when it rains hard - even those of my friends who are highly educated and used to driving all over the world. They just assume that its a 'done thing'.

I use the hazard lights when I want to turn either left, or right - but not sure yet where im going to turn. (Not really)
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 14:25   #75

Hi

This is what I was looking for and this thread has helped me a lot. Kudos to everyone. I have a question and would appreciate help.

I am planning to buy a Ford Figo and the first thing I want to do is fix Fog lamps on it. I don't want very fancy stuff, just simple but effective job.

See the attached picture of what I have in mind. Now I want to know

a) Is this kind of aftermarket job possible on the Figo? Ideally, I want the lights to be inserted into the front dam. Some sort of cut and fit kind of job.

b) Will this kind of modification void the warranty of the car?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Use of Fog lights in cars?-figo_fogs.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks