Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 16:38   #121
BHPian

re: Indian Government plans complete crash test of all cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

So the way I read it is:
- All new cars need to pass a mandatroy frontal crash test
- By choice manufacturers can put their cars up for BNVSAP to get a safety rating

Two different things altogether/

Jeroen
Only frontal crash test is mandatory!? Another segment that is a death trap is of the so called "compact sedans". Their boot-lids are wafer thin and in case of a collision at the rear, God save those seated at the rear seats. I believe hatchbacks have better structural rigidity at the rear as compared to these compact sedans. I believe most compact sedans are extension of hatchbacks using the same platform, so there are no chassis related reinforcements till the rear bumper. So the whole section, even though will serve as a crumple zone, it will have little resistance till the impact reaches the chassis cross-member and hence the passengers seated on rear seats. Also the rear bumpers are also cosmetic, with no depth and almost in the same vertical plane as the boot-lid.
jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 16:45   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Only frontal crash test?

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that being discredited in UK on the basis that most accidents are not head-on.
Old 5th November 2014, 16:55   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Only frontal crash test?

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that being discredited in UK on the basis that most accidents are not head-on.
Given the huge number of accidents on our roads, we should be having a statistically significant number of accidents belonging to any category, including head on collisions!

Though I agree that front overlap crash test is more ideal, head on is a good start and we can have front overlap as probably the next phase of evolution. If we directly put an impossible task in front of SIAM, it would end up not being implemented at all. Considering the stiff resistance to be expected on this front, baby steps are probably the right way to ensure we actually get something implemented rather than taking another 10 years of debate without outcome to come up with the best crash test guidelines.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 17:03   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiautonate View Post
Nano is safer than Alto despite later having fiber body against sheet metal for alto- owning to better chassis and structure.
Not clear exactly what you are trying to say. Both Alto and Nano have bodies made from sheet metal.
Old 5th November 2014, 17:09   #125
BHPian

A similar report has emerged on the front page of the Hindustan Times as well where they are stating that the Central Government will make it mandatory for all new passenger cars in India to have basic safety features such as Airbags, anti-lock braking system, child restraint systems, seat belt reminders and reinforced body structures thereby making the price of cars rise by INR 30,000-35,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Government plans complete crash test of all cars-safety-norms4.jpg  

Old 27th November 2014, 08:12   #126
BHPian

AutoCar has reported that the Indian Government is starting Phase 0 of the crash tests in March 2015 (Link here)

Quote:
‘Phase 0’ starting March 2015, will centre around the commencement of crash test facilities at the Automotive Research Authority of India in Pune, International Centre for Automotive Technology at Manesar, and the Global Automotive Research Centre in Chennai. The plan is for vehicles to be rated on the basis of their performance in frontal offset, side impact, pedestrian protection and child safety tests.
Quote:
October 2016 will mark the start of the voluntary part of Phase 1, where carmakers will be at liberty to choose if and which of their cars should be assessed. However, come October 2017, new car assessment will become mandatory with the choice of car to assess testing with the Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Programme's (BNVSAP) administrative body. In addition to this, carmakers will also be allowed to voluntarily send new and existing cars for crash testing. Interestingly, in Phase 1, cars will be tested as per the United Nation’s Vehicle Safety Regulations. That means the crucial 40 percent front offset test will be conducted at 56kph.
Quote:
Phase 2, that will come into effect in October 2020, will see the same test conducted at 64kph in line with NCAP’s methodology for testing. The 8kph increment may not seem like much, but as per NCAP’s research, 64kph is the speed at which most occupant fatalities occur. Phase 2 will also see the introduction of a rear impact test (at 35kph), a full frontal test (at 50kph), and also a proposed test for whiplash.
Quote:
Finally, requirements of Phase 3 of the programme that starts in October 2022 will be evolved on the basis of accident test data whose collection has already started this year.

Last edited by PVPal : 27th November 2014 at 08:13.
PVPal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 10:44   #127
BHPian

It is a good start. At least we have a plan in place.

Now the implementation must be carried out. It will be testing time for the Government as Car manufacturers are not interested in supporting the move. There will be hurdles created in every step. There can be debate on various parameters like testing speed etc. but strict adherence to time line will help save precious human life.
Old 27th November 2014, 11:13   #128
Senior - BHPian

The dates are all way too late. What the heck is preventing them to start this earlier? Useless folks. Please change the thread title which says 'by 2015'

Last edited by srishiva : 27th November 2014 at 11:14.
Old 27th November 2014, 12:39   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The dates are all way too late. What the heck is preventing them to start this earlier? Useless folks.
Agreed. This might be a compromise being worked out with the car manufacturers, who fear reduced sales or dent in their margin. But positive aspect is that we are moving in the right direction
Old 27th November 2014, 14:14   #130
BHPian

I think the lobbying manufacturers, though opposing these plans in public, will be smiling to themselves in private. Their lobbying is working, as there are no mandatory tests till Oct 2017.

I would have expected phase 2 to start by April 2016. Once the test centers are established by March 2014, they should not require more than an year to be completely operational (15 months max). So pushing the mandatory phase till Oct 2017 sounds like a victory to the manufacturers.
Old 30th November 2014, 12:07   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
I think the lobbying manufacturers, though opposing these plans in public, will be smiling to themselves in private. Their lobbying is working, as there are no mandatory tests till Oct 2017.
Automobile manufacturers have a strong lobby and the date are a compromise. It was reported in newspaper that Government officials were surprised by the opposition to this initiative. Earlier it seems the manufacturers have supported safety measures when these initiatives were discussed. Now it is a test for Government firmness in keeping up with time lines or as usual after few months these initiatives will be just buried alive.
Old 30th November 2014, 15:20   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is inline with the mandatory ABS+Airbags rule for all vehicles by 2017. There is no point in having mandatory tests before Airbags are made mandatory since vehicles without airbags will score 0 stars anyway.
Old 1st December 2014, 21:31   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think this is inline with the mandatory ABS+Airbags rule for all vehicles by 2017. There is no point in having mandatory tests before Airbags are made mandatory since vehicles without airbags will score 0 stars anyway.
Agree that the rule is in line with the mandatory Airbag+ABS rule, and without these two components, most cars would find it difficult to pass.

My point was: why do we need to wait so long to get these rules in play? These are not satellite components, or components of a Fusion reactor, that suppliers will need so much time to ramp up capacity, nor do these components require rare materials which themselves have supply demand issues.

Production, inclusion and implementation can be implemented in a 15 month window max, if not lower. In fact pushing these rules encourage global players to set up bases in India, preferably manufacturing, but sales and support at least. It brings in all the advantages, including economics of scale, while opening the market.

Point is: I do not see the reason for the prolonged implementation window, apart from the lobbying from manufacturers. Feel free to correct me.
Old 2nd December 2014, 01:08   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point was: why do we need to wait so long to get these rules in play? These are not satellite components, or components of a Fusion reactor, that suppliers will need so much time to ramp up capacity, nor do these components require rare materials which themselves have supply demand issues.

Point is: I do not see the reason for the prolonged implementation window, apart from the lobbying from manufacturers. Feel free to correct me.
There is no denying that the manufacturers have bargained for time with the govt. I don't know how much time it would take for component suppliers to scale up. It's not just component supplies, but manufacturers also need to upgrade their cars, if needed, to meet the structural safety requirements as well.

I also think that most manufacturers will be able to meet the new requirements earlier. What is lacking in India now is the general awareness among buyers about the benefits of safety features, importance of structural integrity etc. So even if a manufacturer advertises safety features, no one is bothered. But with the new norms mandated by the govt, there will be discussion on them in the media, better awareness and people will start looking for these features in the car - as they look for 3-star or 5-star energy ratings now on domestic appliances. Then all it takes is one manufacturer who can meet these requirements by Oct 2016 to take the test voluntarily and use it aggressively for marketing. Others will then be forced to follow suit as early as possible.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:32   #135
BHPian

We cannot blame a common man. On the lighter side, Not all of them are tbhpians

It is the duty of the govt to enable safety for our people. It is time that we value lives of common people more or equal to that of a minister.

Another advantage is the cars with safety equipment will be more expensive than the current ones.

Hence attitude towards owning a car will change and so is the respect for others.

Cannot let manufactures mint just by throwing some home built carts to make money.

Most Viewed