Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 10:31   #1
BHPian

Indian Government plans complete crash test of all cars

A report in the Times of India today highlights that in the next one and a half year complete crash test of all new cars may happen in India.

Link to the News from Times of India:
This may pave way for all the cars to clear basic safety tests before being sold.

Of late, The Indian Road and Surface transport Minister Oscar Fernandes has been seen taking a lot interest towards safety on roads. One thread is already on the forum which discusses his suggestions to increase the quantum of fines for different traffic violations.

MODS: Please merge this thread if such a thread already exists.

Last edited by mints21 : 27th January 2014 at 10:33.
mints21 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 12:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Government plans complete crash test of all cars

At last, some good measures. The market value of many a cars could go for a toss. And the govt has to make sure that manufacturers withdraw models that score terribly low; else people might still keep buying those models if it costs less. We can't blame the people; make safety mandatory not optional.

Some observations form the report:

Quote:
At present, cars sold in India undergo front and rear crash tests.
Where are the results? Why are manufacturers not made to publish them in their advertisements at present?

Quote:
Many states have not even notified the maximum speed limit. How can you go ahead with planning big things until you have the basics in place? We should not be in a hurry to do copycat of the norms and standards of Europe
Some attitude! Copying is not altogether bad; only when you blindly follow something, and it hurts, it is bad. When it comes to something as important as safety, this (copying) is a lame excuse. Of course, we need the basics in place.
thoma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 12:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

It's still unclear on lot of terms.

1. Will ONLY the top end variant be tested or all variants will be tested?

2. It mentions all new version of cars will undergo testing - hope this includes even face-lifted versions

3. Hope they do NOT allow cars scoring lower than 2 or 3 stars to be sold in the market.

4. All cars / variants should mandatorily and prominently sport the rating sticker on the windshield.

5. Hope they also release the video of the crash test for every cars once they start the process.

6. Hope they derive very stringent rules for the crash tests and do NOT offer to deploy years old rules which will allow manufactures to dump those outdated vehicles in the market. This one point alone will make sure we get absolutely worthy and new breed of vehicles leaving manufacturers NO choice to give us nothing but their BEST!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th January 2014 at 12:29.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 12:40   #4
BHPian

On seeing the title I got a shock and it got over on seeing the thread desc saying "new cars", since its our govt, anything can happen.

Anyways, if it happens properly it will be a good move.
Old 27th January 2014, 12:48   #5
BHPian

It is better late than never. A good move by the government. With these tests in place the auto industry will now have to concentrate more on the build quality and safety features a lot. My father used to say to me when seat belt was introduced in India, the sales teams of Maruti used to explain this as a safety feature and now this has become a part of regular features. Likewise I am hoping to see ABS and Airbags also as standard across all variants (not only the top variants).
Old 27th January 2014, 12:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

All maruti varients apart from Swift & SX4 will fail these tests hopelessly. They do not have a chance to pass any kind of crash test.

For maruti cost-cutting on cars involves taking out vital safety, structural features. Surely there is a lot of hanky-panky involved.
Old 27th January 2014, 13:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

1: What is be the minimum safety requirements for the car - ABS, airbags etc.

2: What is the minimum crash safety requirement

How will they measure, with what?
Old 27th January 2014, 13:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, I firmly believe its going to be a very important and good move by the Indian government because if the government could not rectify the previous loop holes in this regards then at least it can prevent many unpleasant situations from occurring with car owners in the future. I just wish that this step becomes mandatory at the earliest.

Thanks

AD
Old 27th January 2014, 13:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

I just downloaded a file from this URL:
http://data.gov.in/dataset/stateut-w...ring-2001-2012
Which gives raw data about road fatalities in India.

Of the 1,39,091 people who were killed on the roads in 2012, 23383 (or 16.8%) were killed in cars/jeeps - which will come under the purview of crash testing norms for light motor vehicles.

Isn't the Government addressing the wrong problem?

Safety begins between the ears - it is a mindset. Most Indians don't have it. Cure that first, along with the licensing process, and watch the death rate tumble.

Remember, the West started all this crash testing safety stuff after they had addressed driver licensing and enforced safe behaviour on the roads.
KiloAlpha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 14:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
All maruti varients apart from Swift & SX4 will fail these tests hopelessly. They do not have a chance to pass any kind of crash test.

For maruti cost-cutting on cars involves taking out vital safety, structural features. Surely there is a lot of hanky-panky involved.
I had this mis-information about Maruti.

Then I read the thread about a Swift Dezire's high speed crash. Please search for the same. The BHPian came out of the car in one piece.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 14:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

1. Will ONLY the top end variant be tested or all variants will be tested?

...make sure we get absolutely worthy and new breed of vehicles leaving manufacturers NO choice to give us nothing but their BEST!
The public have been conditioned into thinking that only top-end variant merit an airbag - a complete marketing gimmick by the manufacturer interested to bring more profit into their bottom line.
Based on the results of the crash test, hope the manufacturers are encouraged, nay mandated to bring airbags into all variants that they sell across all product lines.
joybhowmik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 15:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

Then I read the thread about a Swift Dezire's high speed crash. Please search for the same. The BHPian came out of the car in one piece.

I assume, I repeat, assume he meant the Dezire too. We all know how pathetically the new Alto fared in the Latin NCAP with a ground breaking zero in safety ratings.

Last edited by Roomy : 27th January 2014 at 15:15. Reason: Corrected factual error
Old 27th January 2014, 15:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He did say apart from swift and SX4. I'm guessing he meant the dezire as well. You might want to see the alto k10's crash test result!
Old 27th January 2014, 15:15   #14
BHPian

I dont understand why cant the government get the basics right first - better training, strict laws for vehicle road worthiness, strict fines and enforcement etc etc and so on.

Its like - cant they just fix the system rather than spending money on wearing bullet proof jackets?
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 15:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Saar, Swift should also include all Swift varients such as Swift Dzire (Swift with Boot) , Ertiga (Stretched Swift).

I am also on the fence if the top-selling Japanese brands launched by maruti like Zen Estilo, Wagon R would atleast in their initial round of introduction into Indian market fail any crash tests. They may just do OK.

What will surely fail crash tests are those brands launched entirely by Maruti like the 'Made for India Alto', the EECO (stripped down Versa, and Versa was anyways a stripped down full-size MUV) and cars modded by Maruti for Indian market. Modded by Maruti is something that Maruti engineers may take liberty to interpret as 'indulge in tomfoolery' and brutal cost cutting. They will take this as blank cheque to remove various structural features that the Japanese may have introduced to strengthen an already mild chassis in event of an highway event.

There even seems to be an engineer appointed by Maruti in the factory, whose sole job or function is reduce cost of parts by any which way possible. And this guy has been tremendously successful over the years, and that should sends shivers down any Maruti user. What all has been compromised in the process can only be imagined.

Last edited by lurker : 27th January 2014 at 15:18.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed