Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 13:00   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: GOI to come up with BNVSA rating. Car prices may go up 15-20% from January-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
" 4. Officials believe Toyota Etios is the only mid size car that may pass the test. "
Well well. This is a joke! I myself own an Etios Liva & i know how light the car is. They should probably look up the safety ratings of other cars in that segment before they jump to conclusions like that.
Maybe they thought the bigger the car is, the more safer it'll be?
It also depends on its competition. Would the Dzire, Amaze, etc. be significantly stronger/safer than the Etios?
The Vento/Rapid etc. are a segment above technically in terms of pricing (around a 1.5 - 2L difference in price)

Don't get me wrong, I too own an Etios and a Liva, and definitely am not a big fan of the metal used - On the Liva, I got a dent from where my driver leaned against the fender! But at the same time, the Etios does have one of the best brakes, and I am guessing sheet metal would be similar to the Amaze and Dzire and its other direct competitors.
Old 6th August 2014, 13:01   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: GOI to come up with BNVSA rating. Car prices may go up 15-20% from January-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
-> Top end models' price should not increase - they have the safety kit already
-> For smaller cars, safety kit version was rarely sold - they'll have volumes of scale that were previously not there at all, thus bringing the cost down dramatically.
Safety kit alone does not improve safety. The structural assembly itself could have been watered down for cost considerations by manufacturers in India. So, to meet the safety requirements, manufacturers may be required to beef up their vehicle's passive safety first (life more welds points or superior assembly) before moving on to active safety features. This may add to the cost. Even then a 20% increase is too high a figure
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 14:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

Auto-makers will find any excuse to increase the price. I would like to know how the govt plans to test the cars - do they test all variants or only some? I guess it will only be selected variants, because the report mentions "voluntary basis". So the car manufacturers will probably send the top-spec cars to the test (those that already have safety features), get 4 or 5 star ratings, increase prices and still sell unsafe lower variants at higher prices. I hope the govt atleast mandates that whoever sends their cars to the test shall send only their lowest spec cars.
Old 6th August 2014, 14:37   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
" 4. Officials believe Toyota Etios is the only mid size car that may pass the test. "
Well well. This is a joke! I myself own an Etios Liva & i know how light the car is. They should probably look up the safety ratings of other cars in that segment before they jump to conclusions like that.
You have great humility in accepting something what we all believe to be. That the Etios and Liva are actually very light cars, and I can see the taxi drivers driving them rash all the time. The petrol version has some 64 bhp but has a very good power to weight-less ratio.

God knows what all critical safety features they have skimped to make this car appeal to this segment.

Regards the article, the focus seems to be on the possible price-rise that will happen when the car manufacturers get serious about making their cars safe unlike the death traps that they are today and the non-existant prowess of some Toyota.

So it seems like a paid article from disgruntled auto manufacturers who are resisting being pulled by their neck into making safer cars.
Old 6th August 2014, 14:39   #95
Team-BHP Support

GOI to come up with BNVSA rating. Car prices may go up 15-20% from January-2015

I thought the article said Toyota Etios is the only car in the country that should be crashed. Personally I feel that way too! Crash that thing till they feel satisfied.

Just kidding- but in reality, have come across cabbies mentioning that the Etios twins are a disgrace for the Toyota brand. I wonder how come the 'officials' think otherwise.

Anyways, a welcome move IF the article is based on actual news, and the SIAM recommendations actually do end up as the law sometime down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th August 2014 at 14:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 14:51   #96
BHPian

Hmm, the government gets bigger and bigger. i hope, they would just rate the cars and not enforce any safety features. Buyers could refer to the test results and make an informed choice.

BTW, I hope this does not lead to more corruption.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 14:58   #97
BHPian

Sham from Govt this, instead of implementing basic safety first.

Main reason for our 'unsafe' roads are:
  • Most roads are full of potholes, uneven or badly surfaced.
  • Pedestrians & Bicycles mix freely with scooters, bikes, cars & trucks
  • Bicycles mix freely with scooters, bikes, cars & trucks
  • Not proper zebra crossings provided everywhere
  • Bad lighting on vehicles or streets - fixing this itself will cut 25% accidents
  • Bad maintenance on highways - oil slicks, garbage, animals, scrap, stones
  • MOST IMPORTANT: People just dont FOLLOW rules/laws/norms.

Instead of targeting the right things which wont get them any headlines, Govt goes for pompous announcements - this will be like PUC scam 'fixed' the enviornment?
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 15:44   #98
BHPian

I do not think that this rule will be implemented so soon. The car maker will not allow the new safety standard bill to be passed. I think currently in India almost 80% of the vehicle sale happen with substandard safety measurement. At the same time automobile companies are having only 40% of their model with the safety standard as per the new regulation. It’s not that easy task to implement such rule with a sort span of time.

Last edited by arin_12 : 6th August 2014 at 15:45.
Old 6th August 2014, 16:20   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Hmm, the government gets bigger and bigger. i hope, they would just rate the cars and not enforce any safety features. Buyers could refer to the test results and make an informed choice.

BTW, I hope this does not lead to more corruption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Sham from Govt this, instead of implementing basic safety first.

Main reason for our 'unsafe' roads are:
  • Most roads are full of potholes, uneven or badly surfaced.
  • Pedestrians & Bicycles mix freely with scooters, bikes, cars & trucks
  • Bicycles mix freely with scooters, bikes, cars & trucks
  • Not proper zebra crossings provided everywhere
  • Bad lighting on vehicles or streets - fixing this itself will cut 25% accidents
  • Bad maintenance on highways - oil slicks, garbage, animals, scrap, stones
  • MOST IMPORTANT: People just dont FOLLOW rules/laws/norms.
Instead of targeting the right things which wont get them any headlines, Govt goes for pompous announcements - this will be like PUC scam 'fixed' the enviornment?
Uh - many vehicles sold in India do not meet global norms, so we can't compared the "indianized" versions with global counterparts. Please check - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...fety-test.html

While all the other problems should be solved, that doesn't mean we should continue to accept the shoddy cars currently trotted out by our manufacturers.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 16:32   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
While all the other problems should be solved, that doesn't mean we should continue to accept the shoddy cars currently trotted out by our manufacturers.
You just nailed it!
At least, for the first time I see an intent of manufacturing safer cars for us Indians. All other problems remain, but I laud this step.
Old 6th August 2014, 16:35   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

It all began with the Indian Motor Vehicles Act going to be re-written and we had pinned a lot of hope on it. However we are reading about "Remove Toll - Tax All New Cars", "Increase Speed Limit of All Vehicles" and now this "Indianized Safety Norms".

I'm not liking the way this is going. Either it's half baked policy making or news reporting.
Old 6th August 2014, 20:42   #102
BHPian

re: Indian Government plans complete crash test of all cars

This is definitely a brilliant move by the Government, finally the Indian customer's well being and safety is taking priority.

I doubt the accuracy about the Etios Liva's crash worthiness mentioned in the article (link below) but on the whole the other information mentioned is very encouraging to read.

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...cle6284705.ece

I remember reading a thread that it does not actually cost too much to fix ABS system in a car than the funny premium manufacturer's charge for the variant with one, i hope OEM's take a responsible view to the rule and dont end up fleecing us with higher prices , I must say Volkswagen Polo offering dual airbags on all variants has just make me respect them more in spite of their many ASS shortcomings.

I am just hoping that the new Jazz , face lifted rapid , new cars planned etc all come fully loaded with safety features (On ALL variants) like their European/american/Japanese counterparts when launched here in the coming months/years.
The Observer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 20:56   #103
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
No joke here. Absolutely not!

What matters is the way the monocoque has been made and the number of crumple zones. The car is light because of the thin sheet metal.

If I remember, there's a video of Liva in Latin NCAP getting 4 star rating, over a cruze which got 3 star.
Old 7th August 2014, 16:30   #104
Senior - BHPian

Confident that the Polo would clear all the tests and come out with flying colors.
This link provides a good insight.

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/08/v...lephant-140589
Old 4th November 2014, 13:28   #105
Team-BHP Support

The Government of India is planning to roll out the Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Programme (BNVSAP) in October 2017.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks